John Brown designated to return from IR

YoloinOhio

So does every NFL player with sickle cell disease or trait need to skip every game in Denver?  Of course not.  Many players have taken the field without acclimating (which takes 9 days) and come through without a problem.  Falcons RB Tevin Colemanthought about skipping the game in Denver but played without suffering any ill effects.  Green Bay RB Ty Montgomery reported blood in his urine following a game in Denver even though he didn’t think he took a hit back enough to cause it.  Raven WR John Brownhas struggled with minor injuries but according to him and his coaches, his sickle cell trait has never been an issue, even when playing the Broncos at home.  There are also many athletes who play at Denver with sickle cell trait that haven’t publicly discussed their diagnosis.”

An interesting article. 
https://steelersdepot.com/2018/11/the-doctor-is-in-is-sickle-cell-trait-too-dangerous-in-denver/

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So does every NFL player with sickle cell disease or trait need to skip every game in Denver?  Of course not.  Many players have taken the field without acclimating (which takes 9 days) and come through without a problem.  Falcons RB Tevin Colemanthought about skipping the game in Denver but played without suffering any ill effects.  Green Bay RB Ty Montgomery reported blood in his urine following a game in Denver even though he didn’t think he took a hit back enough to cause it.  Raven WR John Brownhas struggled with minor injuries but according to him and his coaches, his sickle cell trait has never been an issue, even when playing the Broncos at home.  There are also many athletes who play at Denver with sickle cell trait that haven’t publicly discussed their diagnosis.”

An interesting article. 
https://steelersdepot.com/2018/11/the-doctor-is-in-is-sickle-cell-trait-too-dangerous-in-denver/

Has anyone other than Ryan Clark actually experienced issues from this trait in Denver? 

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Keep in mind Brown does not have sickle cell disease, he has sickle cell trait. 

That was not considered to be a barrier to playing in Denver when he was a FA:

https://thednvr.com/source-close-to-john-brown-says-sickle-cell-trait-wont-keep-him-out-of-denver-doctor-weighs-in/

He would have to be careful to stay hydrated and etc but those precautions apply pretty much anywhere.

I don't think you could play football with full sickle cell disease, could you?

EDIT: Apparently Tiki Barber had it. So I guess it's possible.

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd be hesitant to play him.  We did that before and he reaggravated the injury.  I'd role with Davis who seems to improve weekly, with Brown activated but not playing.  

I'm pretty sure it was a new injury.

40 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

An interesting article. 

When he was on the Cards they played in Denver.  He played in the game he didn't have a great game but he was  rookie.  

3 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

When he was on the Cards they played in Denver.  He played in the game he didn't have a great game but he was  rookie.  

Yep. I still think this won’t have much to do with if he plays or not. McDermott seems to be a guy who is fairly cautious when it comes to injuries. There have been numerous times since he came here we thought a guy was going to play but was ultimately on the inactive list. So I doubt he plays unless he’s very close to 100%. But if he is I expect him to play. 

22 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd be hesitant to play him.  We did that before and he reaggravated the injury.  I'd role with Davis who seems to improve weekly, with Brown activated but not playing.  

I thought the ankle injury was different from his previous one.

I recall seeing the play in real time and thinking, well we just lost Brown for the season (actually very surprised he's able to come back based on what it looked like).  I guess what I'm saying is that bringing him back "early" last time was irrelevant to his current injury and should be viewed as a stand alone injury, not a re-injury which implies "injury prone" or at least more susceptible to injury.

I think it's better to have him playing vs. not because there is more to getting 100% game-day ready than just not being injured. It's getting his timing with Josh back in sync, getting game-day endurance (can't get that in practice/drills/workouts) getting back into the game-day prep cycle, and a bunch of other aspects to playing professional football that don't just jump off the page.

I guess we tend to call it "knocking the rust off". IMO we want Brown warmed up, loose and firing on all cylinders before we finish up the Reg season and jump into the playoffs.

Just now, DaggersEOD said:

I thought the ankle injury was different from his previous one.

I recall seeing the play in real time and thinking, well we just lost Brown for the season (actually very surprised he's able to come back based on what it looked like).  I guess what I'm saying is that bringing him back "early" last time was irrelevant to his current injury and should be viewed as a stand alone injury, not a re-injury which implies "injury prone" or at least more susceptible to injury.

I think it's better to have him playing vs. not because there is more to getting 100% game-day ready than just not being injured. It's getting his timing with Josh back in sync, getting game-day endurance (can't get that in practice/drills/workouts) getting back into the game-day prep cycle, and a bunch of other aspects to playing professional football that don't just jump off the page.

I guess we tend to call it "knocking the rust off". IMO we want Brown warmed up, loose and firing on all cylinders before we finish up the Reg season and jump into the playoffs.

I think he has had three separate injuries although I am not positive. He had a quad or calf, and a knee injury earlier in the year, and this last one was a high ankle sprain. But this one is definitely different from the earlier one(s).

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Again I'd dress him and only play him if absolutely needed.  They need to sew-up the division this Saturday.  Then they can rest him more, ideally until the playoffs.

Yep. Put him on a pitch count like they have eased Milano back in. And have him run certain kinds of routes like go patterns to stretch the defense and ease him back in and create openings for other receivers, and not hard digs that could aggravate the ankles more. Just the threat of Brown helps the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

If JB can run at top speed, then use him as appropriate for down and distance.  He does force defenses to account for his unreal top end speed.  Even as  a decoy he opens the field for Diggs and Beasley.  If he can't run at his top speed, let him get healthy.

So would Brown be on the injury report since he is practicing or no because he technically is still on IR?

If they still would have to report him, it is very nice that he didn't appear on either Tuesday or Wednesday's report.  Also for anyone who didn't see, there was no change in any of the designations on Wednesday and no other players added or removed. In other words, they were the exact same.

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Great news, if he's fully healthy, Brown makes this group possibly the best WR corps in the NFL.

Diggs, Brown, Beasley & Davis...that's a scary group of receivers.

No.

Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Antonio Brown say hello.

Just because Noodle-Arm Pocket Statue System QB is singlehandedly holding them back, doesn't mean they're not clearly the best WR corps in the league (excluding TE)

If Josh Allen was the Bucs QB instead of Brady, the Bucs would be 12-1 (instead of 8-5) and runaway favorites to win the NFC. Allen to Evans/Godwin/AB/Gronk in a Bruce Arians passing attack would shatter every passing record in the history books.

Edited by JoshAllenReceipts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

No.

Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Antonio Brown say hello.

Just because Noodle-Arm Pocket Statue System QB is singlehandedly holding them back, doesn't mean they're not clearly the best WR corps in the league (excluding TE)

If Josh Allen was the Bucs QB instead of Brady, the Bucs would be 12-1 (instead of 8-5) and runaway favorites to win the NFC. Allen to Evans/Godwin/AB/Gronk in a Bruce Arians passing attack would shatter every passing record in the history books.

Names like Antonio Brown and Rob Gronkowski were HUGE just 2-3 years ago.  But much has changed, and both of those guys are totally washed up.

It's not just Tom Brady's inability to push the ball downfield with consistency.  Gronk looks like an old man.  Brown has made zero impact since joining the Bucs.

In my opinion:

Stephon Diggs > Mike Evans as the #1 receiver

Cole Beasley > Chris Godwin as the slot receiver

John Brown > 2020 Antonio Brown as the #2 outside receiver

Gabe Davis > Anyone else on their roster as a #4

That's without even getting into Andre Roberts (possibly the league's best returner) or Isaiah McKenzie (who is a fantastic gadget player).

The Bills have the best, deepest and most versatile WR group in the NFL.

13 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Names like Antonio Brown and Rob Gronkowski were HUGE just 2-3 years ago.  But much has changed, and both of those guys are totally washed up.

It's not just Tom Brady's inability to push the ball downfield with consistency.  Gronk looks like an old man.  Brown has made zero impact since joining the Bucs.

In my opinion:

That's without even getting into Andre Roberts (possibly the league's best returner) or Isaiah McKenzie (who is a fantastic gadget player).

No. One WR corps has Josh Allen throwing them the ball, the other WR corps has the Bill Belichick-created, fraudulent System QB throwing them the ball. A guy who 1) Cannot move at all and 2) Cannot throw outside the numbers with any zip/accuracy.

The reason why Antonio Brown hasn't made any impact is because of the System Fraud at QB singlehandedly holding him and the entire Offense back.

Switch the 2 QBs and this wouldn't even be an argument.

Edited by JoshAllenReceipts
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

In my opinion:

I've seen most of  every Bucs game and Gronk is not in any way washed up. He gets open all the time and makes tremendous plays and catches routinely. 

• Thank you (+1) 1