Pegulas openly championing Leslie Frazier for HC openings

JÂy RÛßeÒ

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/14/monday-afternoon-quarterback-revisiting-stefon-diggs-trade

While we’re on the Bills, one thing I’ve heard strongly is that coaches and scouts in the organization are championing the cause of defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier for head coaching jobs in the 2021 cycle.

It's very possible we lose both coordinators to head coaching opportunities after the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

I'd be surprised of Leslie gets another shot. 61 year old, defensive minded, low key personality, below .500 retreads are not generally popular hires. 

And I am a big Frazier fan. Just don't see him as an attractive HC candidate. Indianapolis when McDaniels pulled out and it was he or Reich was his last shot IMO.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 3

First, they had something of a mole. Beane’s college scouting director, Terrance Gray, was an area scout for the Vikings when Diggs was drafted and through his first couple years in the league, which gave Buffalo a pipeline into how the receiver was viewed inside the Vikings’ facility.

This is how Bills seem to get their players for better or for worse.

Worse: Zay Jones was picked on recommendation from new WR coach who was his college WR coach.  WR coach canned after one year.

Great: Bills had hired LB coach Bobby Babich who saw Jordan Poyer as a player with untapped potential.  Jordan has signed 2nd contract.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

This is how Bills seem to get their players for better or for worse.

Worse: Zay Jones was picked on recommendation from new WR coach who was his college WR coach.  WR coach canned after one year.

Great: Bills had hired LB coach Bobby Babich who saw Jordan Poyer as a player with untapped potential.  Jordan has signed 2nd contract.

Feliciano was a recommendation from Bobby Johnson too who worked with him in Oakland.

• Like (+1) 2

Frazier is old and has a terrible head coaching record.  I doubt there will be much interest.  Even if you were a franchise that wanted to hire an African American coach, you would go young and offensive minded like a Bineiemy from KC or Elliot from Clemson. If you wanted to go defense you would go with Saleh. 

The only old guys that should get hired in the NFL are guys who have proven winning records like a Rivera or McCarthy who have taken teams to the Super Bowl.  And even they aren't in their 60's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be surprised of Leslie gets another shot. 61 year old, defensive minded, low key personality, below .500 retreads are not generally popular hires. 

And I am a big Frazier fan. Just don't see him as an attractive HC candidate. Indianapolis when McDaniels pulled out and it was he or Reich was his last shot IMO.

I feel like Frazier may be a Dick LeBeau type. Great DC, subpar HC.  Although, being a HC in Minny is somewhat difficult.  I could see Frazier in Jaxonville or something.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't think either of our coordinator's get taken this year.  Too many other options: Bineiemy, Butler (Steelers, DC)--who seems to get no love from the national media for a HC position, despite having a great D;  Saleh; Roman; McDaniels; Stefanski; Toub; just to name a few.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Good for Frazier.   Since I think McDermott controls the defense, I won't worry about losing Frazier.   

he is still a very good mentor to the players as well as acting dc. if he is to venture out and they lose him he can be replaced but he quietly kept the players attention to detail I believe. daboll doesn't seem to hit me as leaving anytime soon. good couple more seasons out of him as he seems pretty settled in at his native wnys home and may not be too anxious to seek outside ventures just yet?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't think either of our coordinator's get taken this year.  Too many other options: Bineiemy, Butler (Steelers, DC)--who seems to get no love from the national media for a HC position, despite having a great D;  Saleh; Roman; McDaniels; Stefanski; Toub; just to name a few.  

I think Daboll is getting a lot of love nationally. I would be shocked if he is our OC in 2021.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

he is still a very good mentor to the players as well as acting dc. if he is to venture out and they lose him he can be replaced but he quietly kept the players attention to detail I believe. daboll doesn't seem to hit me as leaving anytime soon. good couple more seasons out of him as he seems pretty settled in at his native wnys home and may not be too anxious to seek outside ventures just yet?

I hope you are right about BD.  I sorta think you are but who knows when the big $$$ start flying around?

• Like (+1) 1