Week 15: Bills at Broncos

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think after having success with Manning, Elway seized on that as a recipe for success, which is part of the "we're one player away" philosophy.  They aren't necessarily thinking they're getting Mr Franchise, but they're shopping for a guy who's good enough to get 'er done the way they did with Manning.

"We only need a QB - Keenum came damned close to the NFC Championship game the year Foles won, he's good enough he can do it for us!"

"We only need a QB - Flacco is a Superbowl winning QB who got the shaft in Baltimore, Bring Him In, he's good enough he can do it for us!"

Since 2012, they invested a 2nd round pick in Brock Osweiler, 2016 a first in Paxton Lynch, and 2019 a 2nd on Drew Lock.  That's not quite waiting for the stork, but it's not going "all in" to get someone they really like either. 

I think their main issue is that because they basically won a Superbowl with superb defense and the Ghost of Peyton Manning, they're reluctant to go "all in" on the draft-and-develop thing.  Whereas the Bills looked at Tyrod Taylor and said "yes, you were good enough to take us to the playoffs, but we've seen your ceiling and we don't think we can develop you to great" so they moved on and accepted it meant they would take a hit while developing a guy.

C'mon man.  Style points don't matter.  Just win.

That reminds me of the model that the Vikings have gone with for years. They have historically gone after veterans to plug into their QB position and then tried to build around them. They have worked a few of their draftees behind center, but I think overall their history is more littered with journeymen and like the Bills they tapped the CFL a few times.

Teddy Bridgewater was an aberration where it looked like they had a hit pay dirt with the 32nd overall pick after two years of solid play, but then the injury... Then they went back to paying (over-paying) for a veteran QB with Cousins. 

Overall, I think they have been able to stay fairly competitive with that model and have come close a few times, but the jury is still out on whether that model works better than investing and grooming your own franchise QB. Not sure it is the wrong move in hindsight as the Bills struggled for years trying to draft the right QB and we had some pretty solid defenses over that span. The argument could be made that just having a solid vet backed up by some of those better defenses would have helped us be more competitive. We did have the Bledsoe experiment, and then Flutie, and lastly Fitz. 

We have never had a physical talent quite like Allen, not sure where this kid's ceiling is, but I don't think he is quite there yet and that is the scary-good part of watching his growth.

A lot of things have to come together the right way at the right time for a team to even make it to the big show, but teams have won it all with QBs who are game managers or backups who were tapped to play for injured starters. I am not in a hurry to see teams like Denver or the Jets figure out their QB situation... perfectly fine with them spinning their wheels for a decade or two.

Glad we found ours.

Edited by WideNine

On 12/15/2020 at 6:04 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

it’s too bad people give @Zerovoltz crap here 

all they want to see troll and just don’t pay attention 

I don't mind the crap....I deserve it...

It's fine. I enjoy the interaction here, whatever the topic....

Just know, I HATE the Broncos...I troll hard over there even though I also do talk other topics and general football...it's clear the primary reason I visit is to troll.  That WAS why I originally joined this board too, but as many know, while I remain a huge Chiefs fan and will take a jab here and there about all that....I am genuinely happy the trade wokred for both our teams...and while I was skeptical that Allen would develop, I am glad he did, and really enjoy watchign Bills football because of him.  I'm a fan.

Some things to watch for VS Denver.

They are going to want to establish the run if they can.  Hopefully  the Bills will gameplan to make Drew Lock beat them and not let Gordon and Lindsay do it.  

Lock has some tendancies to watch for....when in trouble he predictable rolls right.

He is prone to throw off his back foot when pressured.

Lock excells at linear routes....so anything where the target is running a straight line like a slant or go, a seam rout...a cross....things that don't require a timed cut like an in, out or hitch.  Lock won't throw those timing routes until after he has seen his target make the cut and take a step as opposed to throwing those BEFORE the cut in anticipation.  It allos the defender to recover.....so a decent gameplan is to play a little off and defend the straight line speed routes he prefers.  

Like many young QBs...Lock isn't adept at scanning the field for his 2nd, 3rd or 4th read very well.  

Denver is and Lock are at their best when the run is working and they can run playaction.  When Lock has time to throw he can zip a decent ball in a tight space espeically off the PA.  

An early, big lead may also lead Lock to attempting some hero ball stuff....trying to take deeper shots that aren't there, to get back into games when he should check to something shorter.

Key to victory:  Don't let Denver Run.  Make Lock beat you..  Key to blowout....get presure on lock, get a lead...make him try and hero ball it...he'll turn it over.

Denver plays very position sound defense.  It's how they take JAGS players and compete.  They aren't out of place much at all.  Their front is effective even if you don't know the names up front.  They bat passes well and don't get pushed out easy.  They aren't good at covering TE settling into holes in zone.  Getting Allen moving and making plays in the run game can wear them down....also a rolling pocket negates their uncanny abiltiy to bat down balls.  They don't blitz much.

Overall, I expect the Bills to put an ass whooping on these guys.  I am looking forward to it!  Go BILLS! 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Sorry if this has already been posted.  From today's Denver Post

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/12/18/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-patience-broncos-drew-lock/

Care to provide Cliff notes for us non subs of a Denver newspaper? 

Edit: interesting mobile works without Paywall.

Carry on. 

Edited by The Wiz

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

That reminds me of the model that the Vikings have gone with for years. They have historically gone after veterans to plug into their QB position and then tried to build around them. They have worked a few of their draftees behind center, but I think overall their history is more littered with journeymen and like the Bills they tapped the CFL a few times.

Teddy Bridgewater was an aberration where it looked like they had a hit pay dirt with the 32nd overall pick after two years of solid play, but then the injury... Then they went back to paying (over-paying) for a veteran QB with Cousins. 

Not exactly true. In the last twenty years they’ve spent three 1st round picks on QBs: Culpepper, Ponder, and Bridgewater. They also spent a 2nd rounder on Tarvaris Jackson and generally draft a QB every 2-3 years in the later rounds. The Vikings definitely aren’t shy about moving on though. They’ve just been snakebit more than anything. 

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Zach Moss rushes over 100 yds tomorrow!!!!

Doubt it. Denver is stout against the run and hurting in the defensive backfield.

The Bills may throw it 80% of the time.

Edited by Beast

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

that chick in a tank top and all the other short sleeves 

That dude has to be sweating like a pig. 

Just think! YOU could be the next guy to rent that getup!

SWEET!!! 

🤢  :sick:  🤮

May God bless mascots! 

Edited by Augie

47 minutes ago, Beast said:

Doubt it. Denver is stout against the run and hurting in the defensive backfield.

The Bills may throw it 80% of the time.

I agree, bro! I think Josh is going to have another 300 yard game. They’re just too decimated at cornerback. Daboll will be able to exploit that.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Care to provide Cliff notes for us non subs of a Denver newspaper? 

Edit: interesting mobile works without Paywall.

Carry on. 

I don't subscribe and pulled it up on my laptop.  Weird

2 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I agree, bro! I think Josh is going to have another 300 yard game. They’re just too decimated at cornerback. Daboll will be able to exploit that.

Don't assume Josh is going to get a lot of time in the pocket.  They'll be able to bring pressure.

• Like (+1) 1