Who is more instrumental in building the Bills?

Beerball

Who is most influential in the current state O’ da Bills  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who is most influential in the current state O’ da Bills

• Sean “I’m in charge here” McDermott
    • Brandon “ not just another pretty face” Beane

Why does one need more credit than the other?  Why isn't both a choice?  Sorry, questions like this bother me because we have this need to feed people's egos.  They both do their jobs really well, that's why the team is having so much success

• Like (+1) 1

They both have different jobs and do different things. Both their jobs are instrumental in building a team.

That said, I think getting the right coach is slightly more important than getting the right GM, although both are super important. So I'll go with McDermott.

Although I don't really think it matters...

I think this is the proverbial 1 + 1 = 3, both are good at their jobs but because there is such good alignment working together has produced fabulous results.

I give them both a lot of credit for evolving and understanding how the NFL game has changed. McDermott with the wide open passing game and seemingly using analytics to help guide his decisions (going on 4th down). Beane on how the NFL values certain positions (RB, OG), adeptly using draft capital to get what he needs and building a strong organization.

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Any poll like this doesn’t have both as an option is not worth discussing.  The answer is clearly both, and if anyone doesn’t get that then they don’t really understand the NFL and the roles each play in building a winning team.

Except when the question is: who is the most influential..... The answer cannot be both.  The OP would like to see who we think has the most influence between the 2.  That doesn’t necessarily mean that one is more influential than the other. Just who WE THINK is.  Fair question imo.  

I clearly don’t understand football because I think McD has been the most influential.  

McD. I think the team has been overall better coached and had a better overall vision than it has been at drafting/FA overall. 

Also, McD extended first tells me that if the roster is not working out they’d stick with McD and find another GM to stock the cupboards. 

This is both McD and Beanes team...until it isn’t. Then it’s just McD’s. 

Managing people and getting the most from them is the normally the greater organizational challenge.  Sean manages more  people who have the bigger egos and where his options are more binary which makes his decisions more exposed to fan and media criticism.  The challenges faced on a weekly basis during the emotional roller coaster of a 16+ game season change constantly so the environment in which he leads is more chaotic.  His job is tougher and therefore doing it well is more noteworthy

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Except when the question is: who is the most influential..... The answer cannot be both.  The OP would like to see who we think has the most influence between the 2.  That doesn’t necessarily mean that one is more influential than the other. Just who WE THINK is.  Fair question imo.  

I clearly don’t understand football because I think McD has been the most influential.  

But I said any poll that doesn’t have both as an option, which “All of the above” Is always an option in a poll like this, is not with discussing.  

And you literally just said that in your reply to me when you said “That doesn’t necessarily mean that one is more influential than the other. Just who WE THINK is.”  

So you are acknowledging that clearly both is a viable answer, which is the very thing I took exemption to with this poll.  And you and I both know “both” is the real answer and anything other than that is just splitting hairs to answer an incomplete poll.  We don’t have the same success without Beane and we don’t have the same success without McD.  To quantify who is more important or played a bigger role is not really possible given the roles are completely different.  

So I stand by my original answer that both have been equally important to our success.  I do agree, that a HC could make a bigger impact in terms of what he gets out of the roster, but he also won’t get very far either and will have a low ceiling if the roster isn’t good enough.  Is McD capable of winning with a mediocre or worse roster?  Yes, and probably more so than most coaches, and he proved that his first year here.  But ultimately, he won’t get far either with said roster and to take the next step the GM is equally important to the teams success by building a roster that supports the coaches plan, system, scheme, attitude, etc.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But I said any poll that doesn’t have both as an option, which “All of the above” Is always an option in a poll like this, is not with discussing.  

And you literally just said that in your reply to me when you said “That doesn’t necessarily mean that one is more influential than the other. Just who WE THINK is.”  

So you are acknowledging that clearly both is a viable answer, which is the very thing I took exemption to with this poll.  And you and I both know “both” is the real answer and anything other than that is just splitting hairs to answer an incomplete poll.  We don’t have the same success without Beane and we don’t have the same success without McD.  To quantify who is more important or played a bigger role is not really possible given the roles are completely different.  

So I stand by my original answer that both have been equally important to our success.  I do agree, that a HC could make a bigger impact in terms of what he gets out of the roster, but he also won’t get very far either and will have a low ceiling if the roster isn’t good enough.  Is McD capable of winning with a mediocre or worse roster?  Yes, and probably more so than most coaches, and he proved that his first year here.  But ultimately, he won’t get far either with said roster and to take the next step the GM is equally important to the teams success by building a roster that supports the coaches plan, system, scheme, attitude, etc.  

not when the OP is trying to decipher which ONE is most influential.  If we HAD to pick one.  Not two. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

not when the OP is trying to decipher which ONE is most influential.  If we HAD to pick one.  Not two. 

Guess I just don’t respond to waste of time questions then very well.  And given the amount of answers saying both, I think the proof is in the replies and the OP is getting their answer.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Terry Pegula is Don Vito.

Sean McDermott is Sonny Corleone.

Brandon Beane is Tom Hagen.  

Sonny was an arrogant jerk. McDermott is more like Michael, the smart one, except he won't turn evil in the second half of his career.

I went with Beane.  Caveat, there was no choice for both.  This is like picking your left foot over your right foot.  Football is an enterprise and each performs their function in that enterprise.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1