Bills sign Brandon Beane to contract extension!!!

Logic

Shaw we are 9--3 

But why is everyone such a Debbie downer

Are we winning

Isn't it fun to watch the bills

17 years of watching junk turning the tv off at the 3rd quarter

Waiting for November to hit to see what draft picks we mite get

Stop complaining people

Drink the cool aid

Edited by scuba guy

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Oh hell they "got lucky" right out of the gate............they made the playoffs in 2017 with the worst point differential of any playoff team in 30 years!...........that is the very definition of a statistical outlier........ie 'lucky".

2) As far as getting to Allen..........it actually was a pretty clear path.   It was your army fighting it's way to the the capital city and finding it abandoned and undefended kinda' easy.  They had traded away a bunch of assets starting in 2017 to accumulate picks with the thought process that they were going to need a ton of picks to move up for a QB in 2018.  As it turned out there was very little competition to get there.   Teams were not willing to pay much to move up for the likes of Allen, Rosen or Jackson.   Beane didn't even have to use the 2018 first round pick that they acquired in the Mahomes pick swap!  What they really did exceptionally well was to take the QB with the highest ceiling.    Better to swing and miss on a guy like Mahomes, Watson or Allen than someone with physical limitations to overcome like size or arm strength.   That's not to be undersold........it used to be that you took the lower ceiling guy if they seemed more game ready.   The 2018 Bills didn't fall into that trap they made the right decision on the most important decision this regime will probably ever make.

3) Beane has had a few big misses($50M for Star.....Ford/Metcalf being some very costly ones)........but he has had A LOT of medium and small face-plants which is why they are up against the cap already and haven't had to pay their QB.   Things like cutting Quinton Spain right after you just signed him?  There's been a lot of quickly wasted dollars as Beane has tried to throw enough options at the wall to hopefully get some that stick. 

4) BB's WR judgment was maligned for a reason........his first two WR corps were among the very worst in the NFL and Bills team history.......seriously check out the WR corps from the Bills 2-14 teams versus Beane's choices.    And meanwhile the former Bills WR's McBeane passed on were making noise on the field elsewhere.   He totally whiffed on AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin in favor of Cody Ford in the 2018 draft and subsequently they now have a WR corps that is fronted by 3 free agents eating up over $30M in cap space and no TE's.    That's not genius that's paying the market rate in free agency and trade to correct mistakes.   Hopefully Gabe Davis is the start of Beane drafting good WR's.

5) Beane absolutely did not inherit one of the worst OL in league history..........he inherited an excellent group..........they had literally lead the NFL in rushing for the previous two seasons!   Wood, Incognito, Glenn........excellent players.   Unfortunately they hired an OC with an inflexible plan and then Beane foolishly extended the 31 year old Wood(who was going nowhere) a season ahead of his free agency in an attempt to get him to help pimp the process for McD.    That ended up costing them a lot of cap space when Wood retired after the season.   And then they strangely nickeled and dimed Incognito for some reason and he quit.   Glenn was traded and he then signed some bad OL to replace all of those guys.  He CREATED a horrendous OL for 2018.  He's done an excellent job since but this is another example of his totally botching his first crack at something.

6) They literally pay more for DL talent than any team in the entire league so excellence is expected.......and they are getting that excellent play of late.    I haven't been as critical of the 2020 DL as many.   As an advocate for them sticking with more athletic DT's than continuing to throw good money at bad like they did with Star..........it's just another instance where I'm looking mighty right.

7) Bottom line is that they are at a point now where they SHOULD be at their peak as a roster.........cheap QB.......they've spent basically all of their painfully accumulated wad of cap space in free agency..........haven't *had* to make any money choices on any of their own draft picks yet in free agency(they signed Tre and Dawkins early).........and they've managed to assemble a very good roster........but it's not an overwhelming array of talent(and it could have been with less basic mistakes like drafting to patch holes in the 2018 draft etc.).  

After this season they need to start getting A LOT more efficient with personnel decisions..........and since they have winning and a franchise QB on their side they should be able to bargain shop a lot more efficiently than in the past. 

Courtesy of luck and actually having the balls to be the guys that took the quarterback they have bought themselves a bunch of time to learn from mistakes.    I understand that my blunt assessment seems critical but the reality is that most GM's are hit and miss and it's like a DREAM COME TRUE to have these things fall into place despite that.   They've actually crossed many of the barriers to success with little resistance.  

But where the rubber meets the road is beating Belichick and winning in the playoffs(and a SB).   They are 1-8 in their first 9 high leverage opportunities so far........but they have the QB to turn that around. 

Literally one of the worst takes and posts I’ve read all year.  It’s in contention for worst take of the year IMO, and that’s quite an accomplishment considering what gets said around here in hot take moments.  I don’t even know how it’s possible to write something this long and have none of it really reflect things accurately.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I saw this last night, but was too tired to respond.  

McDermott and Beane took over a largely dysfunctional team.  If a completely different scenario had taken place but the Bills ended up in the same place as they are right now, if they had done the things right that you say they did wrong and the team was 9-3 with some guy who is the new franchise QB, if they had lost twice in the playoffs, you would be pointing out OTHER things that McDermott and Beane did wrong.   All you're doing is pointing out the things you think they did wrong.  All you're doing is saying that anyone could have gotten the things right that they got right.   

The only scenario where you'd have no complaints is if the Bills were undefeated since the time McBeane took over.  Maybe then you'd be signing Billy Buffalo is a bad mascot. 

Yes, there are things that could have been done differently, and there are things that could have been done better.   But getting everything right is not real world.   In the real world, mistakes happen, and success is relative.  At this point, the Bills are an unqualified success

The day after the 2016 season ended, Bills fans would overwhelmingly had said, "Yes.  Give me THAT," if you would have offered them:  

Three out of four winning seasons.  Two playoff appearances in three years.  Franchise QB rated in the top 10 and MVP candidate.  8-3 in current season, consistently in top 5 in power ratings.  

Every fan, including you, would have taken that.

To consistently talk as though McBeane aren't doing their jobs very, very well says something about you, not about the Bills.  

You’re so spot on... I heard Bud Selig say numerous times (it was a quote he said his father used to use a lot).

“You’re only good or bad by comparison.”

Metrics really don’t exist, and analysts really don’t do anything to subjectively compare the value the GMs bring to their organization. They’ll hoot and holler about superstars if it’s good for ratings, or they put up fantasy points. It causes folks to magnify a few transactions. 

The only metric right now is really wins, which really at the end of the day is all that matters, the Bills are in the top 10 in the NFL since 2017 when McBeane arrived. That’s compared to the rest of the NFL... that’s a pretty solid accomplishment for a team that was lucky to be 9-7 and then went 6-10 the following year in a re-tooling season. 

Throw in the fact, that subjectively this regime has done better in free agency and drafted better than pretty much every team in the league over that span. Check out this post here for more detail on that claim... it’s true, people don’t realize it, but when compared to the rest of the league (which IMO is all that matters) these guys are killing it. They’re not without flaws, they have things the need to address and clean up, but at the end of the day, when compared to their peers they are elite. 

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Literally one of the worst takes and posts I’ve read all year.  It’s in contention for worst take of the year IMO, and that’s quite an accomplishment considering what gets said around here in hot take moments.  I don’t even know how it’s possible to write something this long and have none of it really reflect things accurately.  

Anytime somebody talks about the 2017 season and luck, you know where they’re coming from.

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I get a kick out of some Bills fans nit picking at what this tandem have done so far with player personnel. These were two rookies at their jobs as both are first time HC / GM.

Looking at what they have done to build this team and how they got there just shows that they are learning as they go. They inherited Tyrod Taylor and didn't immediately dump him as they wanted to see if they could make things work with him.  

They inherited a 7-9 team that Rex Ryan screwed up by taking the very best D line pass rush in the league and asking them to stay back and hold position while the crappy LBers attempted to make plays or drop had them drop into pass coverage. Ryan inherited the #4 defense in the league and dismantled it to around 20th.  The first thing McD needed to do was fix that defense. The result was an improvement to 9-7 and a playoff berth...with Tyrod Taylor at QB...

Bills fans will clearly never let go of the passing on Patrick Mahomes...when nobody on that FO staff was capable of visualizing his future talent. The GM and scouts for that draft where all Doug Whaley and his choice for QB was EJ. I wouldn't let that guy pick a hamburger. There was a real reason he and his entire scouting staff were FIRED right after that draft. Meanwhile, McD found the very best CB in the league in Tre White. He went after the talent he 'knew" was good. LET...IT...GO!

The 2020 Buffalo have one of the very best QB's in the league and IMO is a better fit in Buffalo than Mahomes. The Bills have one of the very best, if not the best WR corps in the league with Beasley (who Beane stole from Dallas under Belichick's nose) John Brown, world beater Stefon Diggs who makes opposing DB's look silly as he jukes them outta their cleats play after play. And rookie 4th round pick Gabe Davis who is quietly having a very good season. 

I wouldn't trade McD / Beane for any other head coach / GM in the league. Best owners too. The best is yet to come...

I seriously think in another year or two very few people will be questioning this move.  Josh is the better "fit" for Buffalo, and he still has much more room to grow compared to PM.

10 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

Haven't read the entire thread, I'm too tired really. Are there really people here not happy with the current version of the Buffalo Bills? And if so, what team do they support? Ridiculous. 

Summary from those folks...

They’re lucky... whether it’s the playoff appearances or something like drafting Josh... pure luck. 

They don’t draft well, do well in free agency or in trades. Cody Ford over Metcalf, Mahomes, Oliver a bust. Star too much money, too many Panthers, traded Teller, Jefferson is better than Diggs. 

I don’t think I missed anything? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I saw this last night, but was too tired to respond.  

McDermott and Beane took over a largely dysfunctional team.  If a completely different scenario had taken place but the Bills ended up in the same place as they are right now, if they had done the things right that you say they did wrong and the team was 9-3 with some guy who is the new franchise QB, if they had lost twice in the playoffs, you would be pointing out OTHER things that McDermott and Beane did wrong.   All you're doing is pointing out the things you think they did wrong.  All you're doing is saying that anyone could have gotten the things right that they got right.   

The only scenario where you'd have no complaints is if the Bills were undefeated since the time McBeane took over.  Maybe then you'd be signing Billy Buffalo is a bad mascot. 

Yes, there are things that could have been done differently, and there are things that could have been done better.   But getting everything right is not real world.   In the real world, mistakes happen, and success is relative.  At this point, the Bills are an unqualified success

The day after the 2016 season ended, Bills fans would overwhelmingly had said, "Yes.  Give me THAT," if you would have offered them:  

Three out of four winning seasons.  Two playoff appearances in three years.  Franchise QB rated in the top 10 and MVP candidate.  8-3 in current season, consistently in top 5 in power ratings.  

Every fan, including you, would have taken that.

To consistently talk as though McBeane aren't doing their jobs very, very well says something about you, not about the Bills.  

The hyperbole about "my complaints" is pretty laughable.........I just give an honest assessment.........and I've probably paraphrased the "you have to be making bad decisions constantly to not be competitive in the NFL"  quote from Belichick 50 or more times in the past decade on this site.    

You don't have to have been anywhere near perfect to be a SB contender in the NFL.  

But you do make a good point in the first highlighted.......other than drafting Allen their biggest accomplishment is getting the organization functional.

The Pegula's were utterly clueless about how to operate an NFL team..........they eschewed good advice from NFL counsel...........they gave a guy with one foot out the door like Rex Ryan $25M guaranteed and undermined years of draft and development work on defense in the process............as you said it was "largely dysfunctional".

Say what you want about the process..........but at least there was a process for decision making instead of the mercurial stewardship they walked into.

As for the last highlighted point.........I don't think like that.........the objective of this violent and competitive game is to win the SB......not just to finish as 1st loser or 11th loser by one and done-ing in the playoffs.  

But the journey is the reward.   Some people are just a bit too emotionally invested in the game to be objective about it.   That's not necessarily how everyone else has to be to enjoy it. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

They’re lucky... whether it’s the playoff appearances or something like drafting Josh... pure luck. 

They don’t draft well, do well in free agency or in trades. Cody Ford over Metcalf, Mahomes, Oliver a bust. Star too much money, too many Panthers, traded Teller, Jefferson is better than Diggs. 

I think that pretty well sums up the meat of the arguments.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Hope this doesnt come across as too sensitive but curious to know what Beane did wrong to give up the 16 point lead?

Did he drop any passes or give up the 3rd and forever ?

At least 3 of Marrone and Rex's teams should have made the playoffs.........greatly underachieving with the talent on hand is why Rex got fired..........sometimes coaching and player errors undermine the work of the personnel departments.........that was mostly the case in the Houston mess.

But you could point to a lot of personnel mistakes that greatly contributed in the 6 losses to Belichick........or the loss to Jacksonville in the playoffs.    

I'm not sure what cherry picking one poorly coached and played game out of 9 accomplishes.

3 hours ago, scuba guy said:

Shaw we are 9--3 

But why is everyone such a Debbie downer

Are we winning

Isn't it fun to watch the bills

17 years of watching junk turning the tv off at the 3rd quarter

Waiting for November to hit to see what draft picks we mite get

Stop complaining people

Drink the cool aid

image.png.95818f8a9d7bd117294d991f83c725d0.png

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that pretty well sums up the meat of the arguments.

They most certainly weren't just "lucky" to get Josh Allen.

They were lucky that they managed to pass on Mahomes and Watson and THEN got a shot at a player with Allen's skill level at pick #7 the following year.   

As I've said many times and in defense of Allen when the critics were labeling him a failure..........in many if not most of the 30 drafts prior to his selection Allen would have gone #1 overall.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I just give an honest assessment

You flatter yourself, Sir. You give a skewed narrative, stripping away perspective and misapplying hindsight while creating a dishonest assessment. As a result, you really have become quite boring. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Trading flr Kelvin Benjamin was bad

Trading sammy watkins was bad

Trading marcel Dareus was bad

every draft pick that isn’t a starter was a bad pick.

luck

or were they not mentioned in this particular thread. 

btw, Bill Belichicks entire career is luck.  The bills were lucky that Josh allen was available a year after passing on Mahomes. Belichick was lucky because everyone passed on Brady and that Brady was able to progress into the GOAT.  Very lucky 

Great PC from Beane.

Just a personal comment.  IF Brandon Beane was available this off season and interviewed for any of the open GM positions how could

anyone think he wouldn't be able to choose were he goes?

It just seems to me that if someone didn't their judgement is clouded and/or they know nothing about what  is needed to be a successful GM.

In the last year or so I feel so strong that the Pegula's/Beane/McDermott team is so right for Buffalo that I have stopped looking at them

from a critiquing perspective and enjoy pursuing the "what do I think their up to" inquiries.  I'm not saying that the are beyond reproach and for

others that don't feel the way I do should stop doing what they do, I'm just satisfied with what I got in them and want to enjoy the ride a little more

than in the past.  

LOL, my recent retirement just might have something to do with that but I don't care.  I like where things are going!

Go Bills!

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Logic said:

Consistency is great, but consistency in an organization with quality leaders that stay "humble and hungry" who embrace that growth mindset... we may be witnessing the beginnings of something truly special in this franchise. Kudos to the Pegulas.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

btw, Bill Belichicks entire career is luck.   

Are you sure you don't work for The Boston Herald?😄

Belichick is a PRIME example of overcoming a mountain of bad personnel decisions with great coaching and QB play.

Seriously some of you would be suicidal if a big market media covered the Bills.........they aren't nearly as even handed as anything I've said in this thread.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The hyperbole about "my complaints" is pretty laughable.........I just give an honest assessment.........and I've probably paraphrased the "you have to be making bad decisions constantly to not be competitive in the NFL"  quote from Belichick 50 or more times in the past decade on this site.    

You don't have to have been anywhere near perfect to be a SB contender in the NFL.  

But you do make a good point in the first highlighted.......other than drafting Allen their biggest accomplishment is getting the organization functional.

The Pegula's were utterly clueless about how to operate an NFL team..........they eschewed good advice from NFL counsel...........they gave a guy with one foot out the door like Rex Ryan $25M guaranteed and undermined years of draft and development work on defense in the process............as you said it was "largely dysfunctional".

Say what you want about the process..........but at least there was a process for decision making instead of the mercurial stewardship they walked into.

As for the last highlighted point.........I don't think like that.........the objective of this violent and competitive game is to win the SB......not just to finish as 1st loser or 11th loser by one and done-ing in the playoffs.  

But the journey is the reward.   Some people are just a bit too emotionally invested in the game to be objective about it.   That's not necessarily how everyone else has to be to enjoy it. 

There's no question that the Super Bowl is the objective.  I'm with you there.  McBeane have stated that the objective is multiple Super Bowls.  

Where I believe you and I have differed before on this subject is that McBeane want sustained long-term success.  They didn't want to get to the Super Bowl fast; they wanted to build a team that stays on top for a long time.   They don't subscribe to your theory about getting a cheap quarterback (good QB on a rookie contract) racing to the top, then starting over.  (Neither, by the way, do the Saints, the Packers, the Steelers, the Patriots, or the Chiefs.)  

It's all well and good if you have a different team-building philosophy, but it would be simpler if you just said that, rather than constantly suggesting that what McBeane have done is wrong.   It's demonstrably NOT wrong.  Maybe different from some other way they might have gone, but not wrong, at least not yet.   If they have a competitive team for the next five years and win a Super Bowl along the way, they've been very successful.  

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

There's no question that the Super Bowl is the objective.  I'm with you there.  McBeane have stated that the objective is multiple Super Bowls.  

Where I believe you and I have differed before on this subject is that McBeane want sustained long-term success.  They didn't want to get to the Super Bowl fast; they wanted to build a team that stays on top for a long time.   They don't subscribe to your theory about getting a cheap quarterback (good QB on a rookie contract) racing to the top, then starting over.  (Neither, by the way, do the Saints, the Packers, the Steelers, the Patriots, or the Chiefs.)  

It's all well and good if you have a different team-building philosophy, but it would be simpler if you just said that, rather than constantly suggesting that what McBeane have done is wrong.   It's demonstrably NOT wrong.  Maybe different from some other way they might have gone, but not wrong, at least not yet.   If they have a competitive team for the next five years and win a Super Bowl along the way, they've been very successful.  

Shaw, it's only as good as the overall plan and execution. The Lions are the classic example of team that have their QB and have gone nowhere. The Falcons have theirs as well but got to one Super Bowl and now...not. It's been said before: there are a whole lot of things that have to come together to make it work, long term. So far the Bills appear to be heading in the right direction, but if they lose their playoff opener, there will be good reason to ask 'where are we really going'. Three first round losses in four years? Let's hope that's not the case. The next chapter of this story has yet to be written.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Oh hell they "got lucky" right out of the gate............they made the playoffs in 2017 with the worst point differential of any playoff team in 30 years!...........that is the very definition of a statistical outlier........ie 'lucky".

2) As far as getting to Allen..........it actually was a pretty clear path.   It was your army fighting it's way to the the capital city and finding it abandoned and undefended kinda' easy.  They had traded away a bunch of assets starting in 2017 to accumulate picks with the thought process that they were going to need a ton of picks to move up for a QB in 2018.  As it turned out there was very little competition to get there.   Teams were not willing to pay much to move up for the likes of Allen, Rosen or Jackson.   Beane didn't even have to use the 2018 first round pick that they acquired in the Mahomes pick swap!  What they really did exceptionally well was to take the QB with the highest ceiling.    Better to swing and miss on a guy like Mahomes, Watson or Allen than someone with physical limitations to overcome like size or arm strength.   That's not to be undersold........it used to be that you took the lower ceiling guy if they seemed more game ready.   The 2018 Bills didn't fall into that trap they made the right decision on the most important decision this regime will probably ever make.

3) Beane has had a few big misses($50M for Star.....Ford/Metcalf being some very costly ones)........but he has had A LOT of medium and small face-plants which is why they are up against the cap already and haven't had to pay their QB.   Things like cutting Quinton Spain right after you just signed him?  There's been a lot of quickly wasted dollars as Beane has tried to throw enough options at the wall to hopefully get some that stick. 

4) BB's WR judgment was maligned for a reason........his first two WR corps were among the very worst in the NFL and Bills team history.......seriously check out the WR corps from the Bills 2-14 teams versus Beane's choices.    And meanwhile the former Bills WR's McBeane passed on were making noise on the field elsewhere.   He totally whiffed on AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin in favor of Cody Ford in the 2018 draft and subsequently they now have a WR corps that is fronted by 3 free agents eating up over $30M in cap space and no TE's.    That's not genius that's paying the market rate in free agency and trade to correct mistakes.   Hopefully Gabe Davis is the start of Beane drafting good WR's.

5) Beane absolutely did not inherit one of the worst OL in league history..........he inherited an excellent group..........they had literally lead the NFL in rushing for the previous two seasons!   Wood, Incognito, Glenn........excellent players.   Unfortunately they hired an OC with an inflexible plan and then Beane foolishly extended the 31 year old Wood(who was going nowhere) a season ahead of his free agency in an attempt to get him to help pimp the process for McD.    That ended up costing them a lot of cap space when Wood retired after the season.   And then they strangely nickeled and dimed Incognito for some reason and he quit.   Glenn was traded and he then signed some bad OL to replace all of those guys.  He CREATED a horrendous OL for 2018.  He's done an excellent job since but this is another example of his totally botching his first crack at something.

6) They literally pay more for DL talent than any team in the entire league so excellence is expected.......and they are getting that excellent play of late.    I haven't been as critical of the 2020 DL as many.   As an advocate for them sticking with more athletic DT's than continuing to throw good money at bad like they did with Star..........it's just another instance where I'm looking mighty right.

7) Bottom line is that they are at a point now where they SHOULD be at their peak as a roster.........cheap QB.......they've spent basically all of their painfully accumulated wad of cap space in free agency..........haven't *had* to make any money choices on any of their own draft picks yet in free agency(they signed Tre and Dawkins early).........and they've managed to assemble a very good roster........but it's not an overwhelming array of talent(and it could have been with less basic mistakes like drafting to patch holes in the 2018 draft etc.).  

After this season they need to start getting A LOT more efficient with personnel decisions..........and since they have winning and a franchise QB on their side they should be able to bargain shop a lot more efficiently than in the past. 

Courtesy of luck and actually having the balls to be the guys that took the quarterback they have bought themselves a bunch of time to learn from mistakes.    I understand that my blunt assessment seems critical but the reality is that most GM's are hit and miss and it's like a DREAM COME TRUE to have these things fall into place despite that.   They've actually crossed many of the barriers to success with little resistance.  

But where the rubber meets the road is beating Belichick and winning in the playoffs(and a SB).   They are 1-8 in their first 9 high leverage opportunities so far........but they have the QB to turn that around. 

So basically....

Every "hit" they've had can be chalked up to "luck", but they are absolutely to blame for every "miss"? Got it.

Talk about "excessive bloviation!"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shaw, it's only as good as the overall plan and execution. The Lions are the classic example of team that have their QB and have gone nowhere. The Falcons have theirs as well but got to one Super Bowl and now...not. It's been said before: there are a whole lot of things that have to come together to make it work, long term. So far the Bills appear to be heading in the right direction, but if they lose their playoff opener, there will be good reason to ask 'where are we really going'. Three first round losses in four years? Let's hope that's not the case. The next chapter of this story has yet to be written.

Absolutely a possibility.  If it happens you got only 3 real choices.

1.  Burn it down and start over.

2.  Keep trying the same thing and hope it works.

3.  Self examine your approach with what you have and try another road.

I put faith that Beane and McDermott go with the 3rd option.

I still don’t understand the playoff argument. 

Maybe a few of the all knowing savants on this board can help me out... 

McDermott and Beane are criticized for the “lucky” Bills team that went 9-7 and lost 10 - 3 on the road in the first round of playoffs. Maybe not criticized, but at the very least their accomplishment is written off by these savants. 

Then they improved, went 10-6 and had a lead late and various circumstances contributed to a collapse in the second half which lead to an over time loss. Sad moment. A moment that shouldn’t have happened. Oh, but wait, it seems to have been a moment that became a catalyst for this regime to look within and fix things that went wrong... which our fine savants LOVE to gloss over. This regime does this very well.. process, growth mindset, whatever you want to call it. You may laugh or not understand but the very best run organizations in and out of sports practice those things. 

So I ask the same question I’ve asked numerous times, if the Bills don’t make the playoffs in 2017 and only went last year, does the narrative from our fine savants change? 

Does it change to McBeane is bad because they’ve only been to the playoffs 1 time in 3 years rather than they’re lucky AND bad because they haven’t won a playoff game yet? You see because you can’t have it both ways... you can’t say they were lucky and shouldn’t have been there... but also punish them for not winning that game. 

In no way am I arguing that the expectation this year shouldn’t be winning at least 1 playoff game... but tighten up your logic for a second. 

EDIT: Just to make a final point, any person that has to assert to you that they are fair, subjective and even handed absolutely can’t be.

If they were all of those things, people would recognize that on their own. Someone telling you all of those things immediately proves that they are NOT, because they’re attempting to rationalize their point of view as unbiased. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Belichick is a PRIME example of overcoming a mountain of bad personnel decisions with great coaching and QB play.

Seriously some of you would be suicidal if a big market media covered the Bills.........they aren't nearly as even handed as anything I've said in this thread.

you just continue to harp on the negative things....over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  If you were a writer for a big market team, you’d be out of a job.  

excerpts like this:  “7) Bottom line is that they are at a point now where they SHOULD be at their peak as a roster.........cheap QB.......they've spent basically all of their painfully accumulated wad of cap space in free agency..........haven't *had* to make any money choices on any of their own draft picks yet in free agency(they signed Tre and Dawkins early).........and they've managed to assemble a very good roster........but it's not an overwhelming array of talent(and it could have been with less basic mistakes like drafting to patch holes in the 2018 draft etc.).”

yes, the SHOULD be at their peak as a roster.....as long as they did a good job.  It’s as if every GM is good enough to peak their rosters at the right time.  The jets drafted Darnold the same year as Allen.  Are they peaked? No, they failed. Same with the ravens.  Same with the cardinals.  Same with the texans.  Same with the bears.  All of those teams drafted a QB same year or the previous years.  Those GMs aren’t able to do what Beane did.  The chiefs were able to peak their team at the right time.  Beane did.  He shouldn’t just be getting credit.  He should be given a stand round of applause.  For putting us in this position.  But you act as if this is what Gms do.  No.   They don’t.  The great ones do.  Or I guess it’s just luck.  

It’s ok to point out the bad.  I’m not mad at ya.  I talk about the bad.  When others write about the good, you’re quick to tell them that their wrong and point out all the bad.  By reading your posts regarding this regime over their tenure, it seems to me that you don’t give them enough credit. That may not be the case, but that’s how you come across.  I know that you have a vast knowledge of the game and this franchise, there’s no doubt.  I respect your acumen.  You don’t seem to respect anyone else’s, including Beane 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

1) Honestly.......what is with the ridiculous straw man arguments?😆

I've literally never said anything about just getting young QB's and starting over when their contract is finished.

I get that some of you are frustrated that I am so blunt about the errors the organization has made.........but I assure you I've never suggested that Josh Allen should be a one contract and done QB with the Bills.

And Shaw.........who are these teams that you think have this approach?   Just because Carson Wentz and Mitchell Trubisky are falling on their faces doesn't mean that was part of any plan.   Everyone wants a QB who plays and dominates for 15+ years.

2) McBeane have CHANGED their philosophies on team building numerous times.     Went with Dennison......failed.......went with a very different system in Daboll.  Thought big WR's were the solution.......failed......and did a 180 to smaller, faster WR's who get open quicker.   The list goes on.  And what I really like is that the corrections they've made are in tune with what I thought they should have done in the first place.     Now I want to see Edmunds used more on the edge........and we actually got a peek at that Sunday.   And I've been an advocate of using more active players at the 1 tech.........and they are doing that and that too is yielding results now.  I don't really see any major team-building philosophy discrepancy.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If they lose in the first round of the playoffs this year, I'm not too worried, yet.  The first time around, they were fortunate to be in the playoffs at all.  I didn't expect a win.  

Last year was for all intents and purposes their first playoff visit with this team.   (2017 was holdovers.)   They actually played pretty well, but together some great play at the end of the game, but they weren't good enough to win.   Allen played like a rookie.  That game was for learning lessons.  

So if they lose in the first game this year, I'll think that's two in a row, and this will be the first year that will be a true disappointment that they didn't move on.  So for me, it won't be time to ask questions.   

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s ok to point out the bad.  I’m not mad at ya.  I talk about the bad.  When others write about the good, you’re quick to tell them that their wrong and point out all the bad.  By reading your posts regarding this regime over their tenure, it seems to me that you don’t give them enough credit. That may not be the case, but that’s how you come across.  I know that you have a vast knowledge of the game and this franchise, there’s no doubt.  I respect your acumen.  You don’t seem to respect anyone else’s, including Beane 

I'm quick to counter extreme positions.

I'm very much in the middle being as objective as possible...........and that really inflames unabashed homers who fluctuate from one extreme to another over the past 20 years.

So happens that right now many homers are counting their chickens before the regime has even hatched a single command performance in any of 9 games played against their chief division rival or in the playoffs............so the content I am responding to is extremely out of balance with the reality.

The journey is the reward.......being in a hurry to crown them runs contrary to that,  IMO.

It's been said the McBeane are self critical and driven to improve...........if they are that way why should the fanbase "just be happy" with modest success? 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've literally never said anything about just getting young QB's and starting over when their contract is finished.

I get that some of you are frustrated that I am so blunt about the errors the organization has made.........but I assure you I've never suggested that Josh Allen should be a one contract and done QB with the Bills.

And Shaw.........who are these teams that you think have this approach?   Just because Carson Wentz and Mitchell Trubisky are falling on their faces doesn't mean that was part of any plan.   Everyone wants a QB who plays and dominates for 15+ years.

2) McBeane have CHANGED their philosophies on team building numerous times.     Went with Dennison......failed.......went with a very different system in Daboll.  Thought big WR's were the solution.......failed......and did a 180 to smaller, faster WR's who get open quicker.   The list goes on.  And what I really like is that the corrections they've made are in tune with what I thought they should have done in the first place.     Now I want to see Edmunds used more on the edge........and we actually got a peek at that Sunday.   And I've been an advocate of using more active players at the 1 tech.........and they are doing that and that too is yielding results now.  I don't really see any major team-building philosophy discrepancy.  

Is there anything you’ve actually ever been wrong about? 

If you’re this perfect, I’ll put in a word with some friends across the 4 major sports... 

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Have to agree with you. Considering the near constant exodus of staff, rare access to 1st round blue-chip talent, prescriptive management of cap and personnel - finding bargain vets and signing to short-term deals to plug holes while stock-piling mid-round draft picks for players that they choose to not resign to large long-term cap-limiting deals. 

Having that franchise QB that you can continue to build around certainly was a factor in their success, but there are no teams out there that managed to stay as competitive as long as the NE Patriots over this era of free-agency. They built both a pass-happy team, and when needed built a power-run team. I do not like the man, but I have to admire how Belichick has been able to craft game plans and get the most out of the pieces at his disposal over the years.

There is a reason that GM's like Beane have studied the NE blueprint to try to forge a path towards sustainable success for our own Bills org.

Saying all that, I have to still admit that I hate them for a lot of other reasons not the least being how long they have had their foot on our team's throat. It feels good to watch them slide down the AFC standings and hopefully we can scatter their post-season ashes to the wind soon.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm very much in the middle being as objective as possible

I don't think that's the common perception here, but that's just my perception and I could be wrong

I'll just speak for myself using the words of Inigo Montoya: ""You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means"

That there are extreme positions here, on both ends of the spectrum, is inarguable.

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I’ve been wondering how they’ve overcome what was a painful few weeks of getting destroyed up the middle.  

they started off with Ed and Jefferson at DT and have moved to pairing Ed and Butler together, while Jefferson plays mostly with phillips and Zimmer iirc.  

hasnt Ed been playing the 1tech all season?  I noticed that he was the majority of the time when he was playing with Jefferson.  Butler is way bigger than both Ed and Jefferson and I figured he’d be playing the 1tech, but I see Ed facing double teams way more often than butler.  That being said, isn’t it up to the offensive line/offensive play caller to decide who gets the double team, regardless of who is lined up where?  

what are we doing differently with our DTs now, compared to earlier in the season?

29 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If they lose in the first round of the playoffs this year, I'm not too worried, yet.  The first time around, they were fortunate to be in the playoffs at all.  I didn't expect a win.  

Last year was for all intents and purposes their first playoff visit with this team.   (2017 was holdovers.)   They actually played pretty well, but together some great play at the end of the game, but they weren't good enough to win.   Allen played like a rookie.  That game was for learning lessons.  

So if they lose in the first game this year, I'll think that's two in a row, and this will be the first year that will be a true disappointment that they didn't move on.  So for me, it won't be time to ask questions.   

Guys like you and me have been watching this team for decades. But there are going to be many who'll get pretty restless. Reputations get locked in pretty easily. Few will be able to explain away the 2017 Team like you do. It'll just be seen as three losses out of four.  I really hope that doesn't happen, and that we can get a win.  It'll be yet another monkey off our back, and another check mark checked.

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Is there anything you’ve actually ever been wrong about? 

If you’re this perfect, I’ll put in a word with some friends across the 4 major sports... 

Sure but very rarely on TSW.

The amount of hotly contested takes of import that I've been spot on about on this site over the past 22 years even surprises me.

I'm the GOAT in that regard here and it's not even close.

As I've told @GunnerBill though.......the key to being right is not trying to have some kind of take on everything.......it's having your strong public takes on things that you have warranted confidence in.

When you try to have a take on everything your winning % falls precipitously and you run the risk of being actual-NFL-GM-level-right..........which is basically a flip of the coin for the most part.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think that's the common perception here, but that's just my perception and I could be wrong

I'll just speak for myself using the words of Inigo Montoya: ""You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means"

That there are extreme positions here, on both ends of the spectrum, is inarguable.

Humility is an amazing thing. 

People keep telling him otherwise, but he is always right without exception. You can have as much intelligence as you want, and I think @BADOLBILZ is very intelligent... but the holier than thou gimmick really turns people off. 

Maybe someone should look inward and try another approach? 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm very much in the middle being as objective as possible...........and that really inflames unabashed homers who fluctuate from one extreme to another over the past 20 years.

So happens that right now many homers are counting their chickens before the regime has even hatched a single command performance in any of 9 games played against their chief division rival or in the playoffs............so the content I am responding to is extremely out of balance with the reality.

The journey is the reward.......being in a hurry to crown them runs contrary to that,  IMO.

It's been said the McBeane are self critical and driven to improve...........if they are that way why should the fanbase "just be happy" with modest success? 

I’m not an unabashed homer (think what you like) yet I feel this way about your posts.  

“just be happy”??  Who said that.  I am happy that our search for a qb is likely over for another 12+ years.  I’m happy that our search for a good HC and GM is over for the near future.  I’m happy that our franchise, that had been a joke for 20+ years, is now looking to be a contender for the next decade+.  I AM enjoying this journey and this journey is making me happy.  Why wouldn’t they?

That doesn’t mean the journey is over.  It’s just the beginning.  I won’t be truly happy until we win a super bowl.  That’s just the part of the journey we haven’t experienced yet.  But why not be happy until we do?  

• Like (+1) 2

LOL.  This thread was started by good news for Buffalo Bills fans.  Actually I am willing to bet that every organization in the league thinks that

the extension signed by Brandon Beane was a great thing for the Buffalo Bills.

Yet people allow an albeit "intelligent" poster to derail your moment with his one true love........making Bills fans miserable.

I for one will bow out of this thread with a "tip-of-my-hat" to Brandon Beane and move on like he said to the 4 game schedule left.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You can have as much intelligence as you want, and I think @BADOLBILZ is very intelligent.

I haven’t seen evidence of that. An easy thing to do, intellectually, is to take a rigid, self-righteous stand, congratulating one’s self and insulting anyone who challenges. That behavior also reveals insecurity. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Humility is an amazing thing. 

You see humility would be a good approach for the Bills fanbase as we hopefully enter an era of playoff success.

That's obviously NOT gonna' happen.

Hurt people hurt people.

It's part of the reason we have such backlash against me basically saying "I approve of Beane being extended but he needs to do better in some regards".

This is not a harsh take in anything less than a battered fan environment.

But hurt people ALSO make good TV..........so Bills fans will at least be fun for the nation to watch climb the SB mountain again.

• Like (+1) 1