OMG - He said what? Adam Gase admits he hasn't helped Sam Darnold develop as NFL QB

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30443591/new-york-jets-adam-gase-admits-helped-sam-darnold-develop-nfl-qb

"I came here to help him, help him develop his career, and we haven't been able to do that," said Gase, who is 7-20 and has presided over the NFL's worst offense for the better part of two seasons.

That’s too funny 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean I'll give him credit for not just throwing Sam under the bus.

9 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

That’s a man who knows he’s getting fired lol. 

Darnold has only engineered 6 TD drives all season long. Wow. 🤣

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He has a much former grasp of reality than I expected given those crazy eyes 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Interesting phrasing: "I came here to help him, help him develop his career, and we haven't been able to do that."

pretty much sums it up. 

Methinks someone is holding Sam back 

If I was the owner of this team, I would fire Gause on the spot and publicly apologize to Darnold and the Jets fan base.

Just now, boater said:

It's about the toys you surround the QB with.

Josh Allen has some pretty nifty toys. Darnold is surrounded by lumps of coal.

The biggest lump stands on the sidelines every game with the game plan.

• Like (+1) 1

I think that Darnold has a higher ceiling as a player than Gase has as a coach.  I don't think that Darnold's ceiling is anywhere near that of guys like Allen, Burrow, or Herbert and some of other top young guys.  I think Gase is done as a HC, and might emerge down the road as a coordinator or position coach.  There's always a spot for experienced retreads in the NFL.  As to both guys, I agree that the Jests dysfunctional organization hasn't done either of them any favors.

To give Gase some leeway (which isn't easy to do), when he said "we," he may have been referring to himself and his coaching staff (who he hired and assigned some of the responsibility of developing Darnold) and wasn't necessarily dragging Darnold under the bus with him.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean I'll give him credit for not just throwing Sam under the bus.

It was strange wording. Kind of a backhanded admission. Whose fault was it he wasn’t able to do it?  He didn’t say “I failed him.” Which I think is probably largely the case. It sounded equally possible that fixing Darnold was an insurmountable challenge. 

Disclaimer: I didn’t read the whole article, just the quote. Maybe the article is more clear? 

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

It was strange wording. Kind of a backhanded admission. Whose fault was it he wasn’t able to do it?  He didn’t say “I failed him.” Which I think is probably largely the case. It sounded equally possible that fixing Darnold was an insurmountable challenge. 

Disclaimer: I didn’t read the whole article, just the quote. Maybe the article is more clear? 

I read it that way too 

You guys clearly don't get that Adam Gase is being used by the media  and by the team as the sacrificial lamb for Sam Darnold.

I don't think the Jets ever wanted Darnold to begin with. I think in 2018 when they traded up from #6 to #3, they thought the Browns would take Darnold at #1 and the Jets were prepared to take Baker at #3. It threw the Jets off guard that the Browns shocked everyone and took Baker #1, leaving them with Darnold. They never liked Darnold (and nor should they, he is not good, wasn't very good at USC). They let Robby walk on purpose because Darnold was so atrocious at connecting with the deep ball with Robby in 2019, that they knew Darnold wasn't the guy after 2 years of watching him play. Robby goes to Carolina, finally gets to play with an accurate QB and boom, Career Year. The Jets had already decided in the offseason that they had given up on Darnold, he was clearly not "the guy"....and Adam Gase is the one who has to act as the punching bag all season, and take the hit for Darnold.