Matt Hasselbeck on QB “intangibles” and Josh...

eball

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

Josh Allen is going to be better than Jim Kelly when it’s all said and done. 

I watched them both, every game, and I think he has a real chance to be better. Not willing to say it definitevly, because of the resume Jim has. But, I suspect Jim knows himself how great Josh can be if he stays healthy and continues to improve.

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and I think the same about some have it and some don’t. Burrow has it. Darnold doesn’t. I’ve said that since he was at USC. I don’t think Herbert does. Still think he’s very good but I don’t see it. 

I think the Chargers are cursed. Over the past 4 or 5 years that team has pulled defeat from the jaws of victory in ways even the Bills could never accomplish during their almost 2 decades of futility...it has continued this year...they are always seemingly in a place to pull out a win but rarely seem to do so. Doesn't matter who the coach is, the QB, the OC, the offensive players, etc...they still find mind boggling ways to lose every week.

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and I think the same about some have it and some don’t. Burrow has it. Darnold doesn’t. I’ve said that since he was at USC. I don’t think Herbert does. Still think he’s very good but I don’t see it. 

I feel like I remember a quote from Jordan Palmer related to the differences between Darnold and Allen.  Not sure if it was him or not but assuming based on him coaching with both of them.  Something about the way the Darnold would do a rep and get it right once or twice and be done.  Allen would do the drill for an hour or two after he got it right to make sure it was engrained in him.

I know that's not an intangible but just shows his willingness to make sure he's not just learning what he needs to do but perfecting it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh boy we're crowning Josh Allen again. Can't the man play a good game without crowning him? 

We all know what happens now. He lays an egg in Arizona. 

what's it like to live like this?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I think the Chargers are cursed. Over the past 4 or 5 years that team has pulled defeat from the jaws of victory in ways even the Bills could never accomplish during their almost 2 decades of futility...it has continued this year...they are always seemingly in a place to pull out a win but rarely seem to do so. Doesn't matter who the coach is, the QB, the OC, the offensive players, etc...they still find mind boggling ways to lose every week.

Lets hope they are not close enough to give us all a heart attack Nov 29th ;)

• Like (+1) 1

I think all of this is pretty accurate. The one thing I have felt about Josh from pretty early on is...I Know Josh Allen isn’t the actual best qb in the league. There are guys that are technically better and that’s probably not going to change. But Josh Allen just seems like he’s the best qb FOR this team. I don’t know how to really explain it or put it into words. Something about him just fits perfectly with the Bills. The way he plays, the way he acts, maybe even how he looks a little.  The guy just randomly seems to be the absolute perfect fit as qb for the Buffalo Bills. To the point where, I don’t think I would rather have anyone else. This guy really just feels like he’s our guy. I will admit, I didn’t want him draft night and there were times last year when he drove me nuts...but I was absolutely wrong about him and it is literally impossible to not like this guy. He’s just the perfect qb for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh boy we're crowning Josh Allen again. Can't the man play a good game without crowning him? 

Awe I'm so sorry that you've been wrong about Josh Allen. No I'm not. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think all of this is pretty accurate. The one thing I have felt about Josh from pretty early on is...I Know Josh Allen isn’t the actual best qb in the league. There are guys that are technically better and that’s probably not going to change. But Josh Allen just seems like he’s the best qb FOR this team. I don’t know how to really explain it or put it into words. Something about him just fits perfectly with the Bills. The way he plays, the way he acts, maybe even how he looks a little.  The guy just randomly seems to be the absolute perfect fit as qb for the Buffalo Bills. To the point where, I don’t think I would rather have anyone else. This guy really just feels like he’s our guy. I will admit, I didn’t want him draft night and there were times last year when he drove me nuts...but I was absolutely wrong about him and it is literally impossible to not like this guy. He’s just the perfect qb for the Bills.

Hes not yet.   :)

His ceiling is as high as mahomes...he's obviously not there yet but that ceiling is as high as anyone who has ever played the game.   Scary but true.  And based on his work ethic and his improvements year to year he may actually have a chance to find that ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Or, perhaps it is just possible that the rest of us are seeing the big picture and how he has played at an MVP level for every game this season that he wasn't wearing a shoulder brace because he was playing through a dislocated shoulder for us (and we still went 2-2 in those games).

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 4

He’s changed my mind this year.  I really didn’t think he could take the next step after watching all the terrible decisions last year.  He’s had those intangibles all along and the team obviously loved him, but to see the leap he took this year where it’s all coming together for him, just awesome.  I do think we are looking at a Big Ben type of guy here, first two years, nothing great (Ben was way more conservative), and as they get turned loose they just keep growing.  Also, I don’t think Allen will ever be considered the best in the game, like Ben, but always a guy you would be happy to have and can definitely be a difference maker.  He’s a franchise guy, no doubt.  He’s going to rack up a lot of wins, throw for a lot of yards and leave you saying “wow” a lot, but he’s playing in the Maholmes era, probably never going to get the respect until he wins a title, by beating Maholmes to get there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

Hes not yet.   :)

His ceiling is as high as mahomes...he's obviously not there yet but that ceiling is as high as anyone who has ever played the game.   Scary but true.  And based on his work ethic and his improvements year to year he may actually have a chance to find that ceiling. 

I have no clue what his ceiling might be but that Seattle game showed a pretty damn high ceiling.  I think the thing that will take him to the next level of being a great QB is making his floor higher.  I know ever QB is capable of a stinker and he has raised his floor this year for sure.  Just keep bringing that floor up  and he will be unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Man, I bet you're fun at parties

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I have no clue what his ceiling might be but that Seattle game showed a pretty damn high ceiling.  I think the thing that will take him to the next level of being a great QB is making his floor higher.  I know ever QB is capable of a stinker and he has raised his floor this year for sure.  Just keep bringing that floor up  and he will be unstoppable.

Thats a good call.  Floor is now a top 15 QB.  Which is about 15 positions higher than last year. 

• Like (+1) 2