Week 10: Bills at Cardinals

YoloinOhio

So maybe I'm a little slow but this just dawned on me. And now I'm thinking that more important than this being a signature win because of the fact it was against Seattle but I'm taking it as a signature win for the bills because it's the first game of the year that the entire team showed up for four quarters.

If that's something that they can carry on for the rest of the year then we should do really well

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I assumed he went back to California, but maybe he didn’t?    The logistics of that with Covid make it difficult.  Does anyone know if he is at practice?  

are you talking about Allen? 

I am not certain, Jordan Phillips in Arizona got permission and worked it out with the team and the league to go somewhere for a funeral a couple weeks back, but I don't know the particulars. 

As far as Allen and practice, we dont know because they wont practice until tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hokay, so since many sources aren't breaking it down per-game, let's have a look

On Defense:

Cardinals #8 in PPG given up with 23 ppg.  19th in YPG given up with 370, 19th in pass ypg given up, 22 in rush ypg given up

Bills #19 in PPG given up with 26 ppg.  18th in YPG given up with 365, 15th in pass ypg, 21 in rush ypg

Geesh if that were the Bills, going by that Kroft INT they would have awarded the INT to Miami and given each player a free case of beer

so basically aside from garbage time turnovers vs tenn, our D is like a hair a head.

nfl D's are pretty awful this season.  this is likely the most reasonable test of our O all season, not a garbage D, no weather, and a somewhat healthy team (assuming at least one of our starting guards is back).

anyone know if morse can come back, or has he had one bump too many?

Of course the family can do whatever is in their best interest and Godbless them.

However, wouldn't you just do it during the bye week, when your son/grandson could really be there?

I have seen funerals where they have waited a couple of weeks for family to be able to come in to town.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

So maybe I'm a little slow but this just dawned on me. And now I'm thinking that more important than this being a signature win because of the fact it was against Seattle but I'm taking it as a signature win for the bills because it's the first game of the year that the entire team showed up for four quarters.

If that's something that they can carry on for the rest of the year then we should do really well

I agree thats the most exciting part.  This game didnt move the needle much with regards to winning the division but it really showed what we can do when we find our identity.  Cautiously optimistic that we have found an identity on defense...

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

I assumed he went back to California, but maybe he didn’t?    The logistics of that with Covid make it difficult.  Does anyone know if he is at practice?  

I wouldn't assume Josh is anywhere but in Buffalo, preparing for the next game.

Tuesday is normally a day off, and McDermott gave them "Victory Monday" off as well.

It's not unusual for players to come in both days to get treatment from the training staff, cold tub, massage, other treatments, sometimes do a light workout if they consider that right for them.  Also under McD apparently a good number of players come in to watch film.

But there won't be a practice until tomorrow.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I agree thats the most exciting part.  This game didnt move the needle much with regards to winning the division but it really showed what we can do when we find our identity.  Cautiously optimistic that we have found an identity on defense...

I think that was losing Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander combined with no off-season had a crippling effect on communication. You can see this year that we didn't have the different levels of being able to hide coverage and a lot of the things that we did before to confuse quarterbacks. Looking back I would say that we actually kind of dumbed down the defense until the players were able to catch up.    This week we looked much like we did last year on defense with our coverages.   So ya fingers crossed we can maintain it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

I think that was losing Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander combined with no off-season had a crippling effect on communication. You can see this year that we didn't have the different levels of being able to hide coverage and a lot of the things that we did before to confuse quarterbacks. Looking back I would say that we actually kind of dumbed down the defense until the players were able to catch up.    This week we looked much like we did last year on defense with our coverages.   So ya fingers crossed we can maintain it.

and most importantly, figuring out how to play defense up the middle with Star opting out (and Milano being hurt and not playing, and Edmunds being hurt and playing through it, and constantly being short handed at CB, but yea)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

I have also thought the lack of holding had an larger effect on us than the rest of the league since we never seemed to win with outright 1 on 1 wins so much as collapsing the pocket.  Giving a QB anextra 0.5-1 seconds (i have no data on how much longer QBs have now) would really challenge any defense.  Bringing an extra guy or doing a creeper pressure would seem necessary to take away that extra time.  

6 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Ah....Kyle Williams retired after 2017 and the D did OK last year

37 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

This should be a fun game!  

2 of the best young QBs in the game that will only see each other every 4 years or so.

One of the two young QBs throws significantly better than the other when rolling out or scrambling.  :) 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I have also thought the lack of holding had an larger effect on us than the rest of the league since we never seemed to win with outright 1 on 1 wins so much as collapsing the pocket.  Giving a QB anextra 0.5-1 seconds (i have no data on how much longer QBs have now) would really challenge any defense.  Bringing an extra guy or doing a creeper pressure would seem necessary to take away that extra time.  

I'm sure It had some effect but we've had lots of games the defense just wasn't playing in sync with each other. Basic fundamentals were lacking. Seems like in one of Leslie's interviews that he said players weren't playing as a unit but more as individuals on the field

41 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

and most importantly, figuring out how to play defense up the middle with Star opting out (and Milano being hurt and not playing, and Edmunds being hurt and playing through it, and constantly being short handed at CB, but yea)

And all that as well. It's been a hard season so far 4 the defense

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

are you talking about Allen? 

I am not certain, Jordan Phillips in Arizona got permission and worked it out with the team and the league to go somewhere for a funeral a couple weeks back, but I don't know the particulars. 

As far as Allen and practice, we dont know because they wont practice until tomorrow. 

Yes, Allen.  

That I must be very hard for Josh if he can’t see his family until the bye week.  

On 11/8/2020 at 8:32 PM, InEnemyTerritory said:

I'd take that right now because it's about to change

Right now, line for me (in Ontario) is +2.0. I bet moneyline. Real head scratcher, anything can happen, of course, but the Bills are a lot better than the Cards.

Josh seems to play a lot better in warm weather, too.

Edited by Boxcar