Russell Wilson Once Viewed as Bills Potential Savior

This is old news but the Seattle Times ran a nice article today about how the Bills almost picked Wilson.

It sounds like David Lee really wanted him:

Quarterbacks coach David Lee made a video presentation to offensive coordinator Chan Gailey showing that Wilson’s height wouldn’t be the problem some were thinking, showing “that Wilson’s over-the-top throwing motion made him deliver the ball taller than 6-foot-7 Brock Osweiler, who had a lower release,” per The Athletic.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/as-russell-wilson-finally-gets-to-play-in-buffalo-its-time-to-recall-how-the-bills-once-viewed-him-as-their-potential-savior/

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Thank you (+1) 2

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Of all the QB’s we shoulda, coulda, woulda....Russel Wilson is the one I wish we took. 

But that also means we wouldn’t have drafted Allen, so.....

If Allen can continue to progress and make the first 4 games more common then I would agree. I think he's really showed improvement. But he's not on that level yet. So id rather have Wilson all day

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OMG that draft.  We traded up...WE'RE GONNA DRAFT WILSON!  No! TJ Graham.

6 picks later Seattle drafts Wilson.  I was wild.  Ugh.

If we would have flipped those picks, what a lethal combination that would have been. 

I just don't think we had the talent, coaches, or divisional position to have done much with Wilson. We still would have had NE to deal with in the division. We still had subpar coaches, a subpar GM, etc. Still had Russ Brandon...

• Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, MJS said:

I just don't think we had the talent, coaches, or divisional position to have done much with Wilson. We still would have had NE to deal with in the division. We still had subpar coaches, a subpar GM, etc. Still had Russ Brandon...

Yep. Some people  discount the situations affect on players. Wilson went to the perfect place for him. Seattle had an amazing D with an upbeat positive coach. No way Wilson would of had the same career with the Bills.

Think about if Sam Darnold played for Shannahan in SF. I bet he looks better than Jimmy G.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QCity said:

“We felt he would be there with our first pick in the fourth round, but he wasn’t there. We waited a half-round too long.”

No ****.

This is also garbage, because they passed on Captain Kirk as well (I get the Cousins hate, but he would have been better than any QB we had in the years before Josh Allen).

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OMG that draft.  We traded up...WE'RE GONNA DRAFT WILSON!  No! TJ Graham.

6 picks later Seattle drafts Wilson.  I was wild.  Ugh.

TJumptomakeacatch Graham.  Arguably the worst 3rd round pick ever by the Bills.  He cost us one of those Cheats losses running the wrong route on the goal line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Nix thought he could get Wilson in the beginning of the 4th.  He was wrong.  And that makes me wonder how smart GMs are about other GMs on draft day.

Let me explain with a military analogy.  Army intelligence guys & gals are not spies - not James Bond types like you see in the movies.  Their expertise is the enemy.  For example, if we're thinking about invading a foreign country, the intel guys will tell us how they'll fight and what they'll fight with.  They know about force strength, weaponry, tactics, logistics, and so on.  We'll even sit down and do wargames on a big map board reviewing different scenarios and decision trees.  While most of the officers involved in an exercise like this will play our side, the intel guys will play the enemy.  

I wonder if NFL GMs do something like this.  How much do they wargame the draft?  How much do the study their enemy (the other 31 GMs) in order to anticipate their moves?  If Nix had understood the Seahawks a little better, he could have gone for Wilson in the 3rd.  

NFL teams ought to have intel guys on staff who are experts on our enemies.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

My original title actually mimicked the title of the article I was referencing. But I changed it - just for you - to make it a bit clearer.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

i mean that’s a whole heaping of vague excuse. Do you feel the same way about skipping on Mahomes?