Which Defensive player has disappointed you most?

51 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'd argue he is safer with the team than without.  Far more frequent testing.  

I don’t understand your hang up on testing. Testing only tells you if you have it, exposure increases your chances of getting it. If he is staying home he has much less exposure, and thus likely safer. 

Star is a good player, but not the panacea for this defense. 

I’d go with Klein, a complete disappointment who was supposed to know this defense and would plug right in to Zo’s role. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Wait, let me check our record and get back to you. 

It’s been ugly at times. What team can’t say the same thing? We are not “there” yet, but we keep improving. I’m good with that! With a little luck we can make a run. 

we are not improving on D.  

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I still have trouble trying to comprehend how a Top 5 unit each of the last 2 seasons has become so epically bad. Sure, if you want to throw around excuses like Covid, Opt outs and injuries you may have an argument, but all teams are dealing with these circumstances.

Many expected with the acquisitions of Jefferson, Addison, Butler, Norman and drafting Epenesa this Defense would become even better. Not the case. Let's take a look.

Jefferson and Addison have been serviceable and steady, nothing mind blowing and I honestly  thought they would've be better once Oliver and Harrison took the next step. Not the case. Man we miss Star bad and I never thought I'd say that.

Tre has been good but even he doesn't seem to be his elite self lately. Norman and Wallace are nothing more than depth players. Taron Johnson is awful who gets schooled by mediocre rookies in coverage.

Milano is solid, when he's not in ICU. Edmunds saddens me because he such a freaky specimen but he has no idea what the concept of angles are and gets washed out of plays so often. Klein has compromising photos of McD, I'm sure of it because he has no business on the field making 6m a year.

Oliver and Harrison have been non factors often being blocked easily. Hughes has been less than stellar, I don't care what PFF says.

Even Frazier has had his issues with adjustments. 

To me if I pick one it's Edmunds. He's regressed so badly he's actually becoming a liability. I just don't see him as our franchise MLB. 

Who you got as most disappointing? And please, no "let's give them time to mesh" responses.

I agree with your assessments.  Klein shouldn't be playing in the NFL anymore & I think Edmunds  is lost upstairs.

1 minute ago, Maybe Someday said:

Dawson Knox. I didn't have huge expectations for him but was hoping to see some sort of improvement. 

Oliver has been playing very well lately. 

Edmunds injury is causing him issues so it's hard to judge. 

When will Knox be able to return?

50 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Edmunds hate runs deep at TBD....

As with most players I think it's more directed at the guys who put that player there.

Being uninstinctive and not built to hold up in the middle isn't really Edmunds fault...........it's that of the people who decided he was a unicorn..........a guy in a pass rusher's body who had the instincts and agility and elusiveness in traffic to mirror the RB position and also the toughness of mind and body to take the beating in the middle.

Maybe they can try Bam Johnson out in the middle next.    He's long and lean.  

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As with most players I think it's more directed at the guys who put that player there.

Being uninstinctive and not built to hold up in the middle isn't really Edmunds fault...........it's that of the people who decided he was a unicorn..........a guy in a pass rusher's body who had the instincts and agility and elusiveness in traffic to mirror the RB position and also the toughness of mind and body to take the beating in the middle.

When a player drops off as much as Edmunds has,  I look to what changed.  For him, the shoulder injury.  For the defense, the loss of a true 1-technique DT.  On the Harris KY TD run for 20 yards untouched, I saw Ed Oliver get double-teamed and driven back 5 yards, right into Edmunds.  The Cheats trapped Smith and Harris ran through the gaping hole for the TD.  That play to me is a microcosm of the season Edmunds has had so far.  I'm not willing to write him off just yet, but when things are this bad on the D, TBD demands a victim.  I just hope Edmunds isn't it, because he has shown some real brilliance in the past.  I think he can get back to where he was, but I'm in the minority right now.

Clearly Edmunds. I'm rooting for the guy but I get a lot of the anger. I still think he puts it all together eventually.

Klein is awful but I didn't have a ton of hope for him anyway. I've seen a few people try to defend him for always being in the right spot, despite being too late to do anything but flail his arms and miss the tackle. He truly doesn't do anything, I don't care about how much football intelligence he may have.

Will mix it up a bit and add that Harrison Phillips has been a disappointment in general too. I remember hopeful chatter about him being Kyle 2.0 when we first picked him. Not quite.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He is literally playing injured (not hurt). He has real flaws, but they have no one else, so he’s playing. He is basically a one-armed player right now. Factor that in.

I absolutely factor that into not saying he's THE worst players on defense... hes just ONE OF the worst.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's a cinchy one.  Justin Zimmer.  Dane Jackson.

I think Dane or Cam take tarons spot in the slot sooner than later

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since part of being a physician is understanding that an individual patient's individual medical history affects his individual risk, please excuse me if I say this is highly disappointing to read as written from a self-identified physician.

Star had a heart condition causing low ejection volume identified during pre-draft medicals.  I don't know the specifics of underlying cause and how it resolved; doubt you do either.  A number of these "big guys" may also have issues such as diabetes and/or high blood pressure.  We have no business to know that.  Lastly you have no idea what his living situation is, what conditions his family members may have etc.

Pretty sure Lotulelei's 2020 salary was fully guaranteed, as was $2.5M of his 2021 salary.  So attributing a financial motive to his decision is clearly fallacious.

Smooth. -and savvy. 

You’re better at slappin’ pugnacious posters around. I’m fairly loquacious, but I tend to go all verbally ‘physical’ on their azz while you melt them with intellect.

Well played!

4 hours ago, PoBills33 said:

After reading this board today after beating the Pat's for the first time at home in 9 years the fans have disappointed more than anyone

Thank you! Undeniable and very disappointing.😞

6 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Star has dealt with a heart issue few years back which probably was part of the reason for him being overly cautious.  He had an issue with his left ventricle not pumping efficiently. 

Nfl player rate of infection is almost nil compared to general public and they are tested regularly so to me he would actually be safer playing.  Guy is probably 400 lbs now watching tv.

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Read up on Oliver’s NextGen stats.  He’s playing very well and winning matchups.  

Oliver is fine except when we ask him to play 1 tech. Which we are doing too much because our 1 techs suck.

5 hours ago, billsherd said:

White, he hasn't looked like the locked down corner of the past. 

That will be why the Patriots avoided throwing at him like he was a covid epicentre yesterday then.....

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That will be why the Patriots avoided throwing at him like he was a covid epicentre yesterday then.....

Spot on. I am not sure if I saw him once yesterday, and I guess he was playing all game.

I am also curious how many people commenting in this thread (and in general) actually watch all-22 and really study esp. d-line play. I know that it is not hard to spot missed tackle in real time but to judge d-line play seems little bit more complex to me, unless you just count sacks or something. Same goes for linebackers who I guess are affected by d-line play a lot. This is not a knock on anybody just my general observation that people tend to criticize more than they should based on info they have. I might be wrong though.