Completely out coached again.

jamiezzz

7 minutes ago, MPT said:

What, exactly, did the coaching staff do to win the game? Looked like our game plan was to abandon the strength of our passing game, let a horrible offense score 21 points, then have Zimmer make a last second miraculous play.

Schemed/called plays that allowed our team to score more points than the other team? 

Welcome to the NFL, where 61% of games are decided by 1 score or less. Where 28% of games are decided by 3 or less points. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MPT said:

We were one of the top offenses, so clearly we have the ability to be one. I don't think any one of the teams you mentioned is necessarily better at WR than we are. The difference is that we were scheming guys open for the first 4 games and now that other teams have figured out our routes we haven't adjusted.

Oh sorry, you must have missed half of the posters in this thread defending the shortcomings of the coaching.

I'm not sure the defenses 'adjusted' specifically to what we were doing schematically in the passing game...seems like its more they know we haven't been successful running the ball so theyre dropping more guys into coverage.  We'll know more after the Seahawks game as they have some issues on defense and like to play a lot of man and maybe the weather won't be horrendous for once lol. 

6 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I am on record in this thread as saying that the  premise of the OP is perhaps the dumbest thing I have heard all day.  The Bills were not out coached today.  They won the game.  They anticipated what  NE  was planning to do and had an appropriate  game plan.  They were ready for the completely idiotic onside kick. They dared Cam Newton to beat them and he could not.    This does not mean they are not subject to some criticism. We do not live in a black and white world. I hope this helps clarify things for you.  

Sounds like you're very black and white on this. They did not look like they had an appropriate game plan on offense or defense. Just because the other team is bad does not mean you get credit for beating them on a last second improbable play. They did not contain Cam's run game and they did not attack the easy passing matchups they had on offense. Those are the two most glaring opportunities that anyone could have predicted going into the game.

If you want nuance, the Bills had a much better run game today. And yes, they were ready for the onside kick. These things do not cancel out the aforementioned deficiencies, which you are claiming.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, foreboding said:

I think we are a year away still. That's ok...as long as we are playing meaningful games with a chance to win playoff games...just keep getting better and next year we can restock the defensive line and LBs.

It's more than a year imho. Both lines need to be built again and they need to do something about the linebackers. They've invested a lot of capital, but they aren't really getting any younger. It's going to be tough to shore up holes and find people to play in this defense. I just don't think the coaching is there to go toe to toe with the KC and Pittsburgh type teams that they will have to beat. 

McD and co are never really going to out coach anyone. It’s pretty apparent after 3.5 years of him. He’s content with hanging in there and finding a way to squeak out a victory. I can’t remember one blowout win in his tenure. 

I’m content with this as we’ve had many years of torture the past 20+ as Bills fans. With that said, I hope he continues to develop and realizes playing not to lose doesn’t win long term or championships in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Who tried an onside kick, and failed that gave the Bills the go ahead points?   

I’ll hang up and listen to the answer 

The same guy who kicked a FG on 3rd and 1, with 12 seconds left (plenty of time for a shot to the EZ), from around the 15 yard line.

I can legitimately say, with complete sincerity, that McDermott DID outcoach Belichick today.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Not really.  Our roster is clearly better than theirs on paper.  The difference, coaching

What roster are you looking at??? Our Dline is a shell of its self, the lbs were never great and we never got a corner to balance White. The Oline was never that good and got worse with Feliciano out and Spain apparently a one year wonder. 

McDermott is fine but Beane dropped the ball having too much confidence in the guys we had. Hopefully he learns from this and gets bigger and better players as small ball is easily run over.

4 hours ago, jamiezzz said:

Coaching is the difference.  .... and our coach is not head coach material.  

Two playoff appearances in three years.  We are favored to make the playoffs this year and favored to win the division. Yea, let's get rid of that bum.

What a ridiculous thread.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, MPT said:

What, exactly, did the coaching staff do to win the game? Looked like our game plan was to abandon the strength of our passing game, let a horrible offense score 21 points, then have Zimmer make a last second miraculous play.

Actually, quite the opposite. We gameplanned for our opponent's weakness and for the weather. NE is horrible against the run. The wind was blowing 20-30 miles per hour. Why in the hell would we come out and try to throw the ball all over the field in that kind of wind, when we know that the Patriots couldn't stop the run? If we had, would you have been complaining that the coaching staff doesn't know what they're doing because anybody with a brain can see that the Patriots can't stop the run?

It's pretty basic football gameplanning. You gameplan for your opponent's weakness.

I'm certainly glad Sean McDermott is the coach of this team, not you.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MPT said:

You answered your own question in the last sentence. No player, or lack thereof, can account for the drop-off. It's because other teams know how to attack us now and we have no response. The same is true for the drop-off in offense from the first four games to the last four.

Yes no one player can account for it. In fact it's been so many players that luck has to be a big part of it. How is it that we've been so good at picking defensive players over the last three years and then all of a sudden a huge percentage of those same players suck all at once?

This is not a scheme issue. We're not scheming to get blown off the LOS by 2-3 yards every few plays. If anything our opponent specific game plans have been excellent. I mentioned the KC game. We gave up a million rushing yards but kept that game within reach by taking the ball out the hands of the best player in the league, and would have had a chance to win it had we stopped one of those late 3rd and longs.

If you're arguing that we should have pre-emptively traded Hughes or Hyde I don't see how that makes us better. If this is just about Edmunds and Oliver and Epenesa then that's a discussion worth having. Like, I don't know if McD had Epenesa lose too much weight or how that evolved. Beane deserves a big share of the blame. Big guys like Star don't grow on trees but you can't go into a season without one. And Daboll has done a wonderful job imo. Today we controlled the ball and the clock and kept our crappy defense off the field so they didn't have as many chances to lose us the game.

Edited by VW82

9 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Two playoff appearances in three years.  We are favored to make the playoffs this year and favored to win the division. Yea, let's get rid of that bum.

What a ridiculous thread.

Again 2107-19 25-23 is not exactly lighting the league on fire.

4 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Why are you leaving out this year? Doesn't fit your narrative?

Because I was turning the corner on McD.  He is an okay coach, justy haven't seen him turn the corner.  

The post above also stated 2 playoff appearences in 3 years.  Again not great records andwas acheived playing some of the easiest schedules in the NFL and 2 losses in WC games, that were winnable (oh & blowing a 16-0 third quaretr lead too in one of them).

Offense were rated 30,29 & 24th those years.  After 4 weeks this year the Bills were near the top & have been much worse since.

Edited by Billsfan1972

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Bills from 2017 to 2018 were selling off veteran parts for draft capital and made a big trade up for Josh. They were eating massive dead cap both years to put the team in a position to properly build a team around a young QB.

So yes 25-23 isn't lighting the world on fire but given the context of team building and where the teM was at its a pretty strong resume.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

2017 was an inherent education team and he still made the playoffs.  2018 was a complete rebuild team.  Looking at 2019 and year to date 2020 McDermott is 16 - 8 in the regular season.  Have you forgotten what 2000 - 2016 was like?  We are 6-2. 4-0 in our division and you want to fire our head coach??????   What are you folk smoking?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Because I was turning the corner on McD.  He is an okay coach, justy haven't seen him turn the corner.  

The post above also stated 2 playoff appearences in 3 years.  Agian not great records, was acheived playing some of the easiest schedules in the NFL and 2 losses in WC games, that were winnable (oh & blowing a 16-0 third quaretr lead too in one of them).

Coaching is not always fully measured in wins and losses, though.

In 2017, the Bills traded away a bunch of star players. Watkins. Darby. Dareus. I remember most people on this board, and even in the media, say that the Bills were "tanking." McDermott took that talent-deficient roster, with Tyrod Taylor at QB, to our first playoff appearance in 17 years.

In 2018, the Bills had quite possibly the worst roster in football as they continued to shed contracts. Their top receiver was an UNDRAFTED ROOKIE. McDermott some how, some way, got 6 wins out of a team that had no business winning more than 3 from a talent perspective.

In 2019, we started to see the fruits of the rebuild. Another playoff appearance and a 10-win season. 

The point is, was his record "setting the league on fire" as you stated? No, but I would argue that McDermott, in his first three years, did more with less (from a talent perspective) than arguably any coach in the NFL. He's now 6-2 this year. Overall record is 31-25. Winning record, with 2 of his 3.5 seasons played with severely talent-deficient rosters.

4 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

2017 was an inherent education team and he still made the playoffs.  2018 was a complete rebuild team.  Looking at 2019 and year to date 2020 McDermott is 16 - 8 in the regular season.  Have you forgotten what 2000 - 2016 was like?  We are 6-2. 4-0 in our division and you want to fire our head coach??????   What are you folk smoking?

Get outta here with all that truth! We don't want none!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Actually, quite the opposite. We gameplanned for our opponent's weakness, and for the weather. NE is horrible against the run. The wind was blowing 20-30 miles per hour. Why in the hell would we come out and try to throw the ball all over the field in that kind of wind, when we know that the Patriots couldn't stop the run?

It's pretty basic football gameplanning. You gameplan for your opponent's weakness.

I'm certainly glad Sean McDermott is the coach of this team, not you.

Because that's our strength and they were missing their CB1. And because Belichick was often selling out to stop the run because he knows that our coaching staff would take such a simplistic approach to the gameplan.

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1