Completely out coached again.

jamiezzz

15 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

that was the worst patriots team in 20+ years 

That's true. They are worse than the best team of all time with the best coach and QB combination of all time. Good observation.

15 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

How do you figure they were not out coached just out of curiosity?

Would you not agree that the bills were by far the superior team on paper today? And they needed a miracle play to squeak out a 3 point win at home.

Coaching can only go so far. Throughout the day I thought they called a decent game, but that only goes so far when your players aren't executing. The DL had some good moments in the first half but got shoved around in the second. They're trying all sorts of different combinations with the DL so I can't say that's bad coaching, they're attempting to find a formula that works. They miss Star and don't really have a natural 1-tech DT, Oliver is way better at 3T and so is Phillips. They're trying to make it work with what they got.

Offensively, this has been a team that dials up 40+ throws a game. Today, Singletary and Moss were clicking to the tune of 6.1 YPC for 26 and 5.8 for 20. And Josh threw it 18 times. So to me, that shows decent coaching as it would've been easy for Daboll to say, "Yeah, we've run it alright but we're a passing team, lemme dial up a buncha throws cause that's our identity, darn it!" But they didn't, they kept running and they did it well. Gabe Davis also dropped a touchdown, you want me to go chew out Chad Hall for that?

I understand some people are frustrated, I am as well, the game shouldn't have been that close. But what's the alternative? Fire the coaching staff and start all over again? That's the thing I don't understand about the knee-jerk reactions. People want change but they don't know what the alternative would be. From my perspective, they're trying, they're tinkering with the DL lineup and I'm sure Beane is on the horn and has his eyes on the trade deadline this week. They're not complacent, they're always trying to work and improve. This season is odd, no one had a pre-season to better evaluate things so teams have been forced to figure things out as the regular season has played out. But some of the comments I see sometimes are just wild, yeah, let's dump the staff that's turned the team around and taken them to the playoffs in two outta three seasons. 🙄

Edited by blacklabel

14 minutes ago, gordong said:

We play like this the next five weeks we are in huge trouble... 

so, if we have close games and we win, that’s what you call huge trouble?

I really saw coaching come into play twice, standing out more than it usually does. 

A decisive TD drive to open the 3rd quarter. Excellent.

And then, when my gut sank as I realized the kick was onside, knowing that we absolutely gave it up...until I saw that we were mentally prepared for it, and it wasn't even close. 

Coaching did well with the players that came to play today.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, flmike said:

Things to remember:

The Bills are still rebuilding. The OL is finally "stabilized" but not yet dominating. The DL took an opt-out and retirement hit and guys haven't stepped up. The LB corps is mostly playing very banged up with no good depth (part of rebuilding). Josh started his career in Year -1 due to lack of experience and training. He is really a 2nd year player this year, I think. We need some more DBs, that's for sure. So, we are not the Chiefs at this point. Enjoy winning. I know it has been a while. 

Rebuilding is not an excuse anymore. This is year 4 of the rebuild. This is when teams are supposed to be in the super bowl window with a young QB and can spend big on other positions. They let several quality players walk on defense when they could have easily worked the cap to keep them. Two years ago they said they were clearing all the bad money out so they could create a winning team in the following years, but with the exception of Diggs they're still bringing in washed up Carolina players in place of proven guys.

I would keep McDermott over taking a gamble on a new HC. You assume a coaching change is guaranteed good outcome. 

You would be first in line saying it was dumb to fire McDermott if the new HC tanked the team. 

Edited by Lfod

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

so, if we have close games and we win, that’s what you call huge trouble?

Do you watch the games or just the final score? We played one of the worst teams in football today and barely won, just like last week. I like to think the Bills' coaching staff is keeping all their best stuff close to the vest and grinding it out against easy teams, but it's getting really hard to keep the faith.

More negative threads when the Bills win then when they lose, I understand for allot of people in the drought years winning was a word you didn't hear much, but anytime you can beat a team who has owned you for years and years, it feels good. Analyze everything you want but at the end of the day we won! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MPT said:

Do you watch the games or just the final score? We played one of the worst teams in football today and barely won, just like last week. I like to think the Bills' coaching staff is keeping all their best stuff close to the vest and grinding it out against easy teams, but it's getting really hard to keep the faith.

There is only one stat line that matters, I’ll help you out on this, 

it’s the win/loss stat line. What did the “Tuna” say? “You are what your record says you are” 

We won a game that was a must win for both teams, 

6-2 /4-0 

Go Bills!!l

• Like (+1) 1

Yes we average 5 yards a rush and 8 yards a pass but we passed 19 times and ran a zillion times...... why is it that we think when we play quality teams we have to go into conservative turtle mode and play not to lose????  Few designed QB runs, no screens, no jet sweeps, little motion...bleck!   McD is just lucky Belicheat handed us a free TD on that stupid trick onside attempt when they had the momentum! Our game day coaching will not get us to Super Bowl Caliber.. I hope we don’t have ourselves a Cinci Marvin Lewis situation going on here.... 

Edited by Locomark

2 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Yes we average 5 yards a rush and 8 yards a pass but we passed 19 times and ran a zillion times...... why is it that we think when we play quality teams we have to go into conservative turtle mode and play not to lose????  McD is just lucky Belicheat handed us a free TD on that stupid trick onside attempt when they the momentum! Our game day coaching will not get us to Super Bowl Caliber.. I hope we don’t have ourselves a Cinci Marvin Lewis situation going on here.... 

cheer TFU dude, “W” 6-2 / 4-0 

Go Bills!!!

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

There is only one stat line that matters, I’ll help you out on this, 

it’s the win/loss stat line. What did the “Tuna” say? “You are what your record says you are” 

We won a game that was a must win for both teams, 

6-2 /4-0 

Go Bills!!l

Yeah you're one of the guys who thought we were going to the super bowl in 2008. The record doesn't matter as much as the quality of play when it comes down to the wire.

17 minutes ago, MPT said:

Yet we won.   Even during the Kelly years (which to many of the younger fans might be nothing more than "those days of old before I was born"), not every game was the 1990 afc championship. There were a few games where they were awful against other bad teams and found a way to win in the end.     This week, Tennessee lost to Cincinnati, the Rams lost to the dolphins, and even the Chiefs couldn't completely shake a winless Jets team until the middle of third quarter.

The NFL is a tough league.  This isn't madden or tecmo super bowl and every game is not going to be an easy win. 6-2 is 6-2 and with the schedule that we have this year, I am certain that most of us would have been thrilled to know that we would have this record halfway through the season.

Edited by dgrochester55

It has little to do with coaching.  The D is bad for one reason: our front 7 is getting beat physically by the offensive lines.  They get knocked back off the ball and cannot get off blocks.  And that will last until these guys get mad enough at themselves to quit playing weak.

Just now, dgrochester55 said:

Yet we won.   Even during the Kelly years (which to many of the younger team might be nothing more than "those days of old before I was born"), not every game was the 1990 afc championship. There were a few games where they were awful against other bad teams and found a way to win in the end.     This week, tennessee lost to Cincinnati, the Rams lost to the dolphins, and even the Chiefs couldn't completely shake a winless Jets team until the middle of third quarter.

The NFL is a tough league.  This isn't madden or tecmo super bowl and every game is not going to be an easy win. 6-2 is 6-2 and with the scheduke that we have this year, I am certain that most of us would have been thrilled to knowthat we would have this record halfway through the season.

Make no mistake, I'm thrilled with the record. I am not thrilled with our chances against the Ravens, Chiefs, and Steelers considering how we've played the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, jamiezzz said:

We’re completely outcoached weekly.  It’s absolutely disgusting.  Best talent in AFC East,  but still can’t play good ball.  Time for a coaching change.

Hmmmm out coached on a win?  Interesting strategy 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Hmmmm out coached on a win?  Interesting strategy 

We didn't have any significant scratches except John Brown. The Patriots were missing about 20% of their players. This was a blowout on paper. The only reason we almost lost is because we got out-coached again.

• Haha (+1) 1

I guess this is as good a thread to post my opinion on the coaching as any-- I was very impressed with the majority of Daboll's play calling, and for the second week in a row, I was impressed with his halftime adjustments. IMO, his halftime adjustments have, up until now, been one of the weakest aspects of his offensive coordinating. Our offense looked complete, today. In both halves.

And, I really don't have any complaints regarding our defensive play calling, either. Whether it was McD, or Frazier making the calls, we were especially good at scheme for third downs. There were a few times during the game where I looked at my son and said, "that was a good defensive play call." Given the struggles we are experiencing on defense-- really in every defensive unit-- I am impressed with how well McD/Frazier has built a schema that does the most with what we have.

Frankly, I think it's going to take Beane getting us a couple good signings before the deadline Tuesday to fix this defense. Kinda doubt that's going to happen.

But, in answer to the OP, and the ridiculous premise of this thread, we won against what most analysts consider to be the best coach in the history of the NFL. And, in the final minute of the game, we did it on defense. You'd have to be insane to want to fire the coaching staff because of this win.

• Like (+1) 2