Trevor Lawrence Advised to Avoid Jets

11 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Count me in the minority here, but I have a problem with these kids coming out of college and dictating where they will or won't go. It really rubs me the wrong way. I remember when Eli came out, and basically said he refused to go to the Chargers.  They ended up swinging a trade with the Giants and got an extra 1st rounder, or two?  I can't remember.  But even back then, I thought to myself, "what a primadonna".  And I don't have anything against Eli, but I'm old school.  I'm of the belief that playing in the National Football League is a privilege that less than 1% of the population ever gets bestowed upon them, and to be selected in the NFL draft is an honor of the highest level.  The NFL draft is a tradition that has gone on for as long as it has without a hitch, and was designed to promote competitiveness amongst teams.  Now you got these kids coming out of college, with everyone in their ear, telling them how great they are, how their crap doesn't stink, and they can tell the NFL where THEY want to go....really?  

I'm sorry, I just don't think it should be that way. IMO, you go where you're drafted.  If you have a problem with that, there's always the CFL, Arena football, the XFL, whatever.  But no NFL for you.  You had the chance, and you chose to make a statement "I'm bigger than the NFL."  So godspeed young man.  

I know I may be alone in my thinking, but I feel like if we start (or continue) letting these kids dictate where they go when they're drafted, or say where they won't go, we're setting ourselves up for further chaos and audacious actions down the road.  Furthermore, we're jeopardizing a tradition that has been a part of the league for damn near ever, and messing with the competitive spirit the game revolves around.   Just my two cents..

Lawrence can just decide to go back to Clemson for his senior year if he doesn’t want to be a Jet.  While the team has been dysfunctional that may not be the main reason why.  He may not want go to a big market like NY, not everyone can handle the media and just sheer pressure being the face of the Jets or Giants. 

also why shouldn’t they have a say who they play for? That’s like saying you and I shouldn’t have a say for who we work for. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Jets are picking 1st, they might as well put it in Neon lights in front of the stadium “We are TANKING in 2020”.

Just so long as they lose this week!!!

Seriously, same stuff was said about the Dolphins last year, they were 0-8 but ended up 5-11.  Things can change, if they fire Gase, they could easily get an attitude adjustment and win some games.  They are different situations though, Flores is actually a good leader, unlike Gase who seems like a total clown.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Seriously, same stuff was said about the Dolphins last year, they were 0-8 but ended up 5-11.  Things can change, if they fire Gase, they could easily get an attitude adjustment and win some games.  They are different situations though, Flores is actually a good leader, unlike Gase who seems like a total clown.

I agree Flores is a much better coach IMO the Phins will be winning division titles in a couple of years. I mean the draft picks they have stockpiled and the cap space they have.. (and let’s face it who wouldn’t wanna be in south beach to play) I see big things ahead for the phins.. 

I would do everything in my power to avoid THIS Jets team.

But they have to fire Gase.  They have an extra 1st from the Adams trade.  I would think they would get extra draft capital for Darnold.  Denzel Mimms could be something and hasn't gotten on the field yet.  We saw first hand here how quickly an oline and receiving group can be rebuilt.  

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

That will have nothing to do with whether Lawrence returns to Clemson or not next year

The difference is the money is not comparable in the CFL/Arena/XFL.  USFL at the time was paying top price for premium talents, especially at the QB position.  

All that might be true, but beside the point.  The poster said that doing what Kelly did should bar him form entering the NFL.  Plus Kelly specifically didn't want to go to Buffalo.  He probably would have gone to Miami if they drafted him.

27 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I would do everything in my power to avoid THIS Jets team.

But they have to fire Gase.  They have an extra 1st from the Adams trade.  I would think they would get extra draft capital for Darnold.  Denzel Mimms could be something and hasn't gotten on the field yet.  We saw first hand here how quickly an oline and receiving group can be rebuilt.  

Depends on the new coach.  I would steer clear of QB "gurus" though - get a freakin leader in there.  Maybe McDermott doesn't have buffalo in the super bowl, and maybe he never will... but the team is respected around the league.  Jets are a laughing stock, completely rudderless, and devoid of any talent. 

Edited by dneveu

Jets will have a new coach. Maybe even a new GM? As long as the coach is a halfway decent hire and on the offense side, I don’t know if I’d mind going to a huge market if I were Lawrence. I’d have the chance to turn a historically bad franchise around as well.  Think of some of the other terrible teams right now as well. Washington, Jacksonville? Yuck, as well.  Atlanta might be a nice attraction though! 

13 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

I don't remember this at all.  Take that Fireman Ed. 😂

After finishing 1-15 in 1996, the Jets were primed to select Peyton Manning with the No. 1 pick and team him up with the newly hired Bill Parcells and previous top pick and wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson.

Then the future Hall of Famer Manning stunningly announced he would return to Tennessee for his senior season, creating one of the biggest what-ifs in Jets history.

The Jets then passed on Orlando Pace, to trade back for..... Ike Hillard 6th overall 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Count me in the minority here, but I have a problem with these kids coming out of college and dictating where they will or won't go. It really rubs me the wrong way. I remember when Eli came out, and basically said he refused to go to the Chargers.  They ended up swinging a trade with the Giants and got an extra 1st rounder, or two?  I can't remember.  But even back then, I thought to myself, "what a primadonna".  And I don't have anything against Eli, but I'm old school.  I'm of the belief that playing in the National Football League is a privilege that less than 1% of the population ever gets bestowed upon them, and to be selected in the NFL draft is an honor of the highest level.  The NFL draft is a tradition that has gone on for as long as it has without a hitch, and was designed to promote competitiveness amongst teams.  Now you got these kids coming out of college, with everyone in their ear, telling them how great they are, how their crap doesn't stink, and they can tell the NFL where THEY want to go....really?  

I'm sorry, I just don't think it should be that way. IMO, you go where you're drafted.  If you have a problem with that, there's always the CFL, Arena football, the XFL, whatever.  But no NFL for you.  You had the chance, and you chose to make a statement "I'm bigger than the NFL."  So godspeed young man.  

I know I may be alone in my thinking, but I feel like if we start (or continue) letting these kids dictate where they go when they're drafted, or say where they won't go, we're setting ourselves up for further chaos and audacious actions down the road.  Furthermore, we're jeopardizing a tradition that has been a part of the league for damn near ever, and messing with the competitive spirit the game revolves around.   Just my two cents..

I mean, I get this line of thinking. but when you are the top 1% of your profession, you can handle things a little differently. Trevor Lawrence might be the best prospect since Luck. If he wants to set himself up in the best situation, he should do that. If he refuses to play for the Jets (which he has not said) 31 other teams would be more than happy to have him 

Also, this happens so rarely, I don't think it is really an issue 

• Like (+1) 1

The problem goes deeper than Adam Gase.  I'm assuming Gase will get fired during the course of this season, but it was a broken organization that led to the hiring of Gase in the first place.  Until the owner shows evidence he has fixed that, starting at the top, I sure would be wary about going there.

PatsFanNH is right in that Trevor can easily choose to stay for his senior season.  There's always a slight risk that he could suffer a catastrophic injury or just have a terrible senior season, but there are worse things that staying one more year on a team that could win the national championship.  I understand that Dabo Swiney is a fun coach to play for.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

I believe it so much that they are tanking that I will be picking up and starting the Bills defense this week in FFL.

11 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I remember hearing something about that several years back but never dug it up and read any more about it.  

And i had NO idea whatsoever that Kelly did something like that, wow.....I mean he is my favorite player of all time.  It's not the most shocking thing I've ever heard, but still definitely a surprise...

But I still don't agree with it.  For arguments sake, those of you who think that college players SHOULD be able to dictate where they go or don't go, what do you think should happen to/with the draft?  How do teams remain competitive, especially in relation to superstars coming out of college?

I agree it's annoying to see. But I don't see the same cynical doom and gloom . This has happened a handful of times since the 80s and wouldn't set anymore precedent than it has before. 

It's a massive gamble only a position with the pull of a quarterback and a name like Manning would have the 'nads to pull. Outside of football royalty is #1 picks like Elway, Lawrence. Outside of that is star players with a competitive USFL to leverage. 

That's hardly any reason to say that all of Alabama's first round picks are going to force themselves on the Chiefs next year to dominate the NFL for the rest of our lives. The system works.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, bobobonators said:

What exactly is wrong with that?

When you graduated college didnt you have a say in where you wanted to work? 

When I graduated college (1975) I didn't have much of a say because the economy was a mess.  I didn't work a full calendar year from 1/1-12/31 until 1981.  Now I almost made it in 1978, but I got fired in December and it took another year & 1/4 to get back my career.  Ironically, I'm probably one of the few who actually went back to Buffalo to resurrect my career.  I eventually had to leave in 1982. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The Jets then passed on Orlando Pace, to trade back for..... Ike Hillard 6th overall 

Nope.  That was the Giants who picked Hilliard at #7.  The Jets moved down to #6 & traded that pick to Tampa, who then traded it to Seattle who took HOFer Walter Jones.  The Jets picked 8th & took LB James Farrior.  I remember that draft because it's the only draft I attended in person.  My parents scheduled a 50th anniversary party that Sunday and I had to spend the weekend in Long Island.  Since my parents didn't have cable, the best way I could see the draft was to go.  My father took me to the railroad into NYC around 4:30 AM.  

• Like (+1) 1