Trevor Lawrence Advised to Avoid Jets

8 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

OMG even after a lackluster career that has ended, Andrew Luck is still being worshipped.

Yes, Luck was touted as the greatest prospect ever.  That much is true.  That said, it is pointless to compare Lawrence as a prospect to Luck as a prospect.  Prospect by definition means the results remain unknown. Does Lawrence project as the next Tom Brady in terms of results?  If so he goes number one easily.  Does he project as Luck In terms of results and go in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Sam Bowie was a better prospect than Michael Jordan.  That no longer matters.

What are you talking about?  We are comparing levels of prospects.  

I know you have some weird distaste for luck, but he was a generational level prospect.  And yes, he was 1 million times a prospect than brady was

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

What are you talking about?  We are comparing levels of prospects.  

I know you have some weird distaste for luck, but he was a generational level prospect.  And yes, he was 1 million times a prospect than brady was

Whichever team drafts Lawrence will probably be more interested in how his career goes than how much of a prospect he was.  If they are doing comparisons, they are not comparing to anyone's pre-draft analysis, they are comparing to potential results.

Do you think NBA teams would rather draft the next Bowie or Jordan?

This does seem to be one of those few times where a player will to a certain extent be able to choose their destination... or at least choose where they do not want their destiny to unfold.

If Lawrence doesn’t want to go to the Jets he only has to tell them that. The only times I remember anything like that happen in the NFL were Eli and Elway (him being drafted was before my time).  Let him see what they do in the off-season for management/coaching etc. if he doesn’t like it, all he has to do is put his foot down snd say he won’t play there. The Jets will either trade the pick, or draft Lawrence and subsequently trade him.

My bet... Dallas. I don’t know why. Just a gut feeling. They can offer a team like the Jets Dak and a potential top-5 draft pick, along with other pieces. It would also help alleviate their cap issues.

Meanwhile the Jets always seem like a team that’s “going for it”. They could move Darnold for extra capital, or keep him as insurance, and bring in Dak to try to become competitive immediately in the division. 

39 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Whichever team drafts Lawrence will probably be more interested in how his career goes than how much of a prospect he was.  If they are doing comparisons, they are not comparing to anyone's pre-draft analysis, they are comparing to potential results.

Do you think NBA teams would rather draft the next Bowie or Jordan?

what.

are.

you.

talking.

about.

It was a conversation being had about prospect levels, you just want to interject your weird Luck obsession (and it is very very weird, get over it) into it to argue against luck

Just now, Crayola64 said:

what.

are.

you.

talking.

about.

It was a conversation being had about prospect levels, you just want to interject your weird Luck obsession (and it is very very weird, get over it) into it to argue against luck

If I'm in a baseball discussion I'll have to remember to compare every pitcher to Brien Taylor.  That'll make sense.

On 10/20/2020 at 5:55 PM, smuvtalker said:

Count me in the minority here, but I have a problem with these kids coming out of college and dictating where they will or won't go. It really rubs me the wrong way. I remember when Eli came out, and basically said he refused to go to the Chargers.  They ended up swinging a trade with the Giants and got an extra 1st rounder, or two?  I can't remember.  But even back then, I thought to myself, "what a primadonna".  And I don't have anything against Eli, but I'm old school.  I'm of the belief that playing in the National Football League is a privilege that less than 1% of the population ever gets bestowed upon them, and to be selected in the NFL draft is an honor of the highest level.  The NFL draft is a tradition that has gone on for as long as it has without a hitch, and was designed to promote competitiveness amongst teams.  Now you got these kids coming out of college, with everyone in their ear, telling them how great they are, how their crap doesn't stink, and they can tell the NFL where THEY want to go....really?  

I'm sorry, I just don't think it should be that way. IMO, you go where you're drafted.  If you have a problem with that, there's always the CFL, Arena football, the XFL, whatever.  But no NFL for you.  You had the chance, and you chose to make a statement "I'm bigger than the NFL."  So godspeed young man.  

I know I may be alone in my thinking, but I feel like if we start (or continue) letting these kids dictate where they go when they're drafted, or say where they won't go, we're setting ourselves up for further chaos and audacious actions down the road.  Furthermore, we're jeopardizing a tradition that has been a part of the league for damn near ever, and messing with the competitive spirit the game revolves around.   Just my two cents..

You aren't alone.  Do you know that John Elway did the same thing when he was drafted?  He was drafted by the then Baltimore Colts who were terrible at the time.  Elway refused to sign with them and eventually signed with Denver.  

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1