Trent Murphy and Harrison Phillips benched for Chiefs game

YoloinOhio

Just now, PetermansRedemption said:

That strategy works IF the 3 you rush actually can generate pressure. I don’t have much confidence in our D line to do that. Hopefully I’m proven wrong. 

It's more about disciplined rush lanes.  If you pressure him and he escapes he will hurt you every time either with legs or arm.

• Like (+1) 1

So I'm trying to look at what would be happening if this were true. 

Remember so far the only source is this NFL-N Tom Pelissaro guy, and that McDermott is Not A Fan of tipping his hand personnel-wise

Here's our depth chart off Buffalo Bills.com

image.thumb.png.9d33e0062ecd13f8969eef3652b2454d.png

Per Joe B, last game the Bills pretty much played a 3 man rotation at DE featuring Hughes, Addison, and Murphy.

Hughes with Addison was the most common, and Hughes with Murphy the runner-up.

Epenesa and Johnson got a whole 7 snaps in the first half.

So if Murphy is inactive, what would that mean?  Giving Epenesa and Johnson more time?  Johnson was benched last year due to struggles against the run.

This is what Joe B had to say about Epenesa:

Late in the Titans game, he showed a good reaction to the snap, whipped around Tennessee right tackle Dennis Kelly and tripped up Derrick Henry for a 3-yard loss. It was a great play. The rest of the time, though, Epenesa was borderline unplayable. He received a total of six snaps against the Titans and he needed to show more on four of them.

Now I grant you that Joe B's perspective and the coaches' perspective may not coincide, and that the Bills want to shake things up, but it would seem odd to make Murphy inactive for Epenesa and Johnson. 

Likewise, even let's say the Bills plan to start Addison and Butler.  Injuries happen; what's their backup plan if Phillips is inactive?

The only reason I could see this making sense is if Beane has a trade in the works and they're inactive to ensure they stay healthy.

I'm skeptical of this report.  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Phillips makes sense to me based on his performance and the opponent.  Murphy not so much - I am terrified of watching Darryl Johnson sell out over and over again on run fakes schemed up by Reid.  Not that I love Murphy but I’d have thought a veteran end would be a better play against the Chiefs.

Jefferson could start at Left DE and we might see him move in on passing downs (replacing Butler) and Johnson then man the end. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

That strategy works IF the 3 you rush actually can generate pressure. I don’t have much confidence in our D line to do that. Hopefully I’m proven wrong. 

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

It's more about disciplined rush lanes.  If you pressure him and he escapes he will hurt you every time either with legs or arm.

Eight defenders clogging passing lanes gives the DL more time to win their matchups. 

The Raiders also used a spy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I'm trying to look at what would be happening if this were true. 

Remember so far the only source is this NFL-N Tom Pelissaro guy, and that McDermott is Not A Fan of tipping his hand personnel-wise

Here's our depth chart off Buffalo Bills.com

image.thumb.png.9d33e0062ecd13f8969eef3652b2454d.png

Per Joe B, last game the Bills pretty much played a 3 man rotation at DE featuring Hughes, Addison, and Murphy.

Hughes with Addison was the most common, and Hughes with Murphy the runner-up.

Epenesa and Johnson got a whole 7 snaps in the first half.

So if Murphy is inactive, what would that mean?  Giving Epenesa and Johnson more time?  Johnson was benched last year due to struggles against the run.

This is what Joe B had to say about Epenesa:

Late in the Titans game, he showed a good reaction to the snap, whipped around Tennessee right tackle Dennis Kelly and tripped up Derrick Henry for a 3-yard loss. It was a great play. The rest of the time, though, Epenesa was borderline unplayable. He received a total of six snaps against the Titans and he needed to show more on four of them.

Now I grant you that Joe B's perspective and the coaches' perspective may not coincide, and that the Bills want to shake things up, but it would seem odd to make Murphy inactive for Epenesa and Johnson. 

Likewise, even let's say the Bills plan to start Addison and Butler.  Injuries happen; what's their backup plan if Phillips is inactive?

The only reason I could see this making sense is if Beane has a trade in the works and they're inactive to ensure they stay healthy.

I'm skeptical of this report.  Time will tell.

So the guy had 6 snaps, looked great on one but was unplayable on the others....6 snaps...Give Joe B the Hyperbolic Award for Click Bait Journalism.  6 Snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Recovers?  Hasn't it been a year? 

Recovered from the injury is not at all the same as being in top game shape, I would have thought anyone who knows something about sport injury would understand that, but I guess not... 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

So the guy had 6 snaps, looked great on one but was unplayable on the others....6 snaps...Give Joe B the Hyperbolic Award for Click Bait Journalism.  6 Snaps.

I hear you, but the point is it would be weird to declare Murphy inactive while giving him a buttload of snaps last week, and Epenesa only 7.

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I am guessing a trade is coming soon

https://media.tenor.com/images/9d159129919cd2d46666b7db030140f4/tenor.gif

That was my thought too, although it would put McDermott/Frazier in a big bind not to be able to play whoever they think best, or at least have them available in case of injury

10 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

That's their weakness in the run game up the middle and I think a big reason they signed Bell. 

We shall see. 

signing Bell to address a weakness running up the middle sounds like something the Jets would do...not the Chiefs. Bell was one of the more prolific pass catchers at the RB position. If he goes up the middle, it's on a delay after searching for a hole. He's not a guy you pound up the gut (why Gase didn't like him)

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hear you, but the point is it would be weird to declare Murphy inactive while giving him a buttload of snaps last week, and Epenesa only 7.

I think they just know they have to get to Mahomes with 4.  So when you look at Pass Rush you have one guy in Murphy who has 1 sack and 1 TFL in 175 snaps, and another in Epenesa who has 2 TFL and 1 Sack in 60.    Hard to tell with McDermott, could have been the plan the entire time.   Maybe they know they have to hit a home run tonight to win.  

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

can we just put star in harry's jersey?

But... Star sucks, I read it right here on this forum.... 

😁 Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1