Trent Murphy and Harrison Phillips benched for Chiefs game

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Not dressing them comes as a shocker for sure. They must see something in film and are making an example to the whole defense here. Got to be some form of motivational move. 

Making them inactive sounds like there is more to it than just poor play.  They must have finally told McD what they think of his clapping.  Message sent to the locker room.  I hope they sign and then cut Tashard Choice so that the offense gets the same message.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Thats also a lot of your rotation.  Plugging 1 player into a rotation is one thing - now you have all these changes

Addison and Hughes play the same side - 1 will play out of position no matter what on passing downs.

Oliver is still the primary 3T still - but the 1T is phillips or jefferson. Jefferson would be out of position there on rushing downs. 

Jefferson may also rotate at DE with addison and hughes.  Lot on that guys plate.  Epenesa stepping up could give Hughes and addison some breathers, while also giving hughes some snaps on his natural side.

Butler should be a rotational 3T but they are likely to have to play him at 1T since Phillips has struggled so badly.

So even with new faces, its just a lot of turnover.  No preseason, fewer practices.

As we go into next season, outside of Oliver, everyone else is playing as a depth player versus starter on the DL. Not sure if any of them would start on other teams. 

1 minute ago, High Football IQ said:

He played for 2 1/2 games last year, not saying he was terrible but he wasn't on his way to a probowl season either.

My point is that you can't dominate up front in this league with a bunch of undersized players and we already have one of those as a key piece we just made a major investment in with Oliver (who BTW really needs to start doing something before he reaches Eric Flowers status).

Harrison Phillips is 6'3" and 306 pounds. I don't think he is undersized.

Anyway, stopping the run is not the important thing this game. Getting pressure on Mahomes is. That's likely why Phillips is inactive.

And Murphy isn't really that good regardless 

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

Okay, that's possible.

But this benching won't hurt the Bills' chances of stopping such an attack.

Oh, agreed 100%.  and if it makes KC rethink their plan at all based on the move then there's more value in this move then simply getting dead weight off the field.  I was yelling at the TV last week watching Murphy getting blown 10 yards off every play.  Hell i would go in there and do that for half his salary

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Making them inactive sounds like there is more to it than just poor play.  They must have finally told McD what they think of his clapping.  Message sent to the locker room.  I hope they sign and then cut Tashard Choice so that the offense gets the same message.

He’s coaching the RBs at Georgia tech now. They were talking about it during their game last week and I was wondering how many messages were being sent 

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about Phillips at the moment.  I do feel like he has been asked to play in a manner that isn't his strength, but I also feel like he just has to be better.  Coming out of college, wasn't he seen as the penetrating DT?  Is he not being asked to do that or is he just unable at this level? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

As we go into next season, outside of Oliver, everyone else is playing as a depth player versus starter on the DL. Not sure if any of them would start on other teams. 

bad take

Hughes and Addison are starters on most NFL teams 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, berg1029 said:

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about Phillips at the moment.  I do feel like he has been asked to play in a manner that isn't his strength, but I also feel like he just has to be better.  Coming out of college, wasn't he seen as the penetrating DT?  Is he not being asked to do that or is he just unable at this level? 

He's playing at 1T so between center and guard.  He's not creating any kind of havoc, getting moved, and free blockers are getting to the 2nd level regularly.  

6 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

100% guaranteeing that KC will run strait up the middle all night long

Let them. That chews more clock and takes the ball out of their best player’s hands (Mahomes). Exact same strategy Belichick deployed against the Bills in Super Bowl XXV. Gave Thurman his yards to chew clock and prevent Jimbo and co from going off. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just my opinion, but these moves aren’t good enough by themselves. We know their limitations. We need NEW. DL guys are available both on the street and via trade. 

Somebody wake up Brandon! 

Beane is certainly not shy about making moves. Given his history we have to assume of there were any quality players available he would be all over it.

• Like (+1) 1