Jump to content
\GoBillsInDallas/

E.J. Manuel article

Recommended Posts

https://www.pilotonline.com/757teamz/vp-sp-ej-manuel-acc-network-20201016-utca56z6czcp3kgmiyt7hihd64-story.html

 

Manuel had impressive back-to-back games in the preseason with the Bills but suffered a knee injury that caused him to miss the final two preseason games. An MRI revealed he needed a minor procedure.

He returned but injured his knee again and missed six regular-season games. He finished the season with 1,972 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 10 games. He also rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns.

Looking back on it now, Manuel wished he — and his agent — would have spoken up. He felt he was rushed back to duty even though he wasn’t 100%. But he was a rookie and a No. 1 draft pick.

Manuel knows that experience affected his career.

“The perception of me was that I was a bust or that I couldn’t play,” he said. “Naturally, in the NFL, it’s a copycat league. So if one team feels like you can’t get it done, the other ones are going to start looking at you skeptically, too, without giving you a chance. It changed the projection of my career.”

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did him no favors. 
 

that he continues to talk about it suggests he probably wasn’t doing himself many favors either 

 

who he was as a man behind the scenes always seemed an interesting story. We often heard the polished, mature story line but there were a few reports that suggested perhaps otherwise along the way.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We probably did rush him back sooner than he would have liked.  And that indeed may have had in impact on the direction of his career, somewhat.


But it is not why his career was what it was.


That comes down to a lack of talent, and that has nothing to do with an injury.

 

Too bad he seems bitter about it all now.  He always seemed like a good guy.

 

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He had plenty of chances in Buffalo and elsewhere. The bottom line is that he couldn’t see the field or sense pressure. 

  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

He had plenty of chances in Buffalo and elsewhere. The bottom line is that he couldn’t see the field or sense pressure. 


yup. If he were lighting it up he would have found his way back. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it is true that the Bills rushed him back from an injury as a rookie but it seems like a stretch that somehow that ended his career.  He did not perform even when healthy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked EJ as a person but as a QB he had to go. Even if EJ was in KC right now I still think his career would’ve taken the same path. Would love to have a Beer with EJ and Bruce though.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like pretty much every player drafted by Buffalo in that era probably could have had a better career in the league if they were drafted by someone else 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was a developmental QB for sure.

Yeah Marone & staff did not do him any justice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perception is reality. Reality is perception.
 

Bust.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

We did him no favors. 
 

that he continues to talk about it suggests he probably wasn’t doing himself many favors either 

 

who he was as a man behind the scenes always seemed an interesting story. We often heard the polished, mature story line but there were a few reports that suggested perhaps otherwise along the way.

I’m an FSU fan since the early 90’s my wife was a student there at the time and had tickets for all home game , 

I never liked him as a college QB and was so disappointed ( disgusted actually) when the Bills drafted him , 

FSU went undefeated and won National Championship (with a freshman QB ) the year after , 

Bottom line he was never good not in college or the NFL 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://www.pilotonline.com/757teamz/vp-sp-ej-manuel-acc-network-20201016-utca56z6czcp3kgmiyt7hihd64-story.html

 

Manuel had impressive back-to-back games in the preseason with the Bills but suffered a knee injury that caused him to miss the final two preseason games. An MRI revealed he needed a minor procedure.

He returned but injured his knee again and missed six regular-season games. He finished the season with 1,972 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 10 games. He also rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns.

Looking back on it now, Manuel wished he — and his agent — would have spoken up. He felt he was rushed back to duty even though he wasn’t 100%. But he was a rookie and a No. 1 draft pick.

Manuel knows that experience affected his career.

“The perception of me was that I was a bust or that I couldn’t play,” he said. “Naturally, in the NFL, it’s a copycat league. So if one team feels like you can’t get it done, the other ones are going to start looking at you skeptically, too, without giving you a chance. It changed the projection of my career.”

 

Something something Hospitality tent

 

Yeah, his coaching staff and the talent around him did him no favors.  Yes, if he'd been allowed to sit and learn the game behind Kolb for a year (as was the plan) and if he'd been placed behind a capable OL instead of one forced into disarray by stubborn square peg shoving, and with WR experienced in the offense, he could probably have played better.

 

On the other hand....even playing behind a crap OL with no run game and bargain-basement or checked-out WR, we could see competitive fire and leadership from Josh we never saw from EJ.  And athleticism.

 

Methinks that Manuel is getting a bit revisionist in his perceptions, seeing all the great dual-threat QB currently in the league and dreaming of what might have been.

 

17 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I feel like pretty much every player drafted by Buffalo in that era probably could have had a better career in the league if they were drafted by someone else 

 

Some truth to this

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I feel like pretty much every player drafted by Buffalo in that era probably could have had a better career in the league if they were drafted by someone else 

Yeah, we kinda wasted a lot of really talented players. Over the last few  decades. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blaming a minor injury for his bad career is pretty petty.  They actually sat him for 5 or 6 games after he got injured in that Browns game.  He also lost his job to Orton, then Tyrod who were both better than him.  And that Jaguars game in London was pretty Peterman-esque.  Nice guy, but come on

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

The bottom line is that he couldn’t see the field or sense pressure. 

 

 

"Slow eyes," right?

 

Tina Fey: ow, my eyes are stuck | AwesomeGIFs

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During his playing days I said the sooner he gives up the NFL & goes into tv the better for everyone involved.  If he wanted to make a career of football, he had all the tools necessary for a long career in the booth or studio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

 

 

who he was as a man behind the scenes always seemed an interesting story. We often heard the polished, mature story line but there were a few reports that suggested perhaps otherwise along the way.

 

???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought his best plan for long term success in the NFL after Buffalo, was to play in the Canadian league.   There he could have got a better foundation for his game and work on the things that he felt needed to be adjusted.  Like Doug Flutie to some extent

 

I'm happy for him if he's happy with his life but in the long run I don't think the Bills necessarily ruined him 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Peter said:

 

???


here we are watching him make excuses/share blame. 
 

I don’t recall but think it was Timmy g that made some comments during the super bowl week one year that EJ was a bit immature/not a leader. 
 

it’s water under the bridge at this point but I just remember being curious about it a few times because some of the quiet undertones along the way seemed counter to the much louder pristine reputation of being an older, 4 year starter, mature, humble guy. Made me wonder about who the man was behind the marketing campaign as we rarely know too much about these guys.

5 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I always thought his best plan for long term success in the NFL after Buffalo, was to play in the Canadian league.   There he could have got a better foundation for his game and work on the things that he felt needed to be adjusted.  Like Doug Flutie to some extent

 

I'm happy for him if he's happy with his life but in the long run I don't think the Bills necessarily ruined him 

 

 


he was already a guy with a ton of reps. At some point you aren’t going to radically change who you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...