Jump to content
HappyDays

All-22 Grades for Bills/Rams (The Athletic)

Recommended Posts

 

If you don't already have an Athletic subscription, these weekly all-22 articles alone are worth it.

 

Some highlights:

 

The worst part of the Rams’ comeback, from a Bills perspective, had to be Allen’s temporary relapse into old habits that led to multiple negative plays. Perhaps it was complacency with a big lead, or Allen pressing to put the game out of reach because he saw the defense struggling. Whatever the case, Allen lost his poise and control of the offense. He was evading the pocket prematurely, occasionally throwing off his back foot and failing to “live to fight another day” on plays that called for either a dump-off pass or a throwaway. Though, fortunately for the Bills, it was only temporary.

 

He breaks the 3rd and 22 completion to Beasley in detail. Summarized:

 

The success of the play required Allen’s understanding of the defense and the play call, reading the pass-rushing defenders in front of him, manipulating the defenders with his eyes and legs, being on the same page with Beasley and, ultimately, a strong, accurate throw. That 3rd-and-22, in a clutch spot, was another sign of next-level quarterbacking from Allen.

 



were getting crushed against the run. While he missed some tackles in key moments, though, Edmunds wasn’t nearly the liability he was getting made out to be.

Edmunds was particularly noticeable on film, in a good way, for his work in coverage. He made Goff’s job difficult in the first half by clogging up passing windows, and even knocking away a pass. His speed from sideline to sideline was unaffected by his injury. Simply his presence on the field affected the game and was a big upgrade over the young Tyrel Dodson.

 

While there is plenty of blame to go around for the Bills’ defensive woes in the second half, the criticism starts and ends with the defensive line. Defensive end Mario Addison was the only player from that unit who received an above-average grade for his performance. He was the only one who was consistent in run defense and pressuring the quarterback. The play of the rest of the defensive line had to have made for a long film session on Monday.

 

The solution for the Bills could come internally. Vernon Butler, who mostly played as a backup three-technique defensive tackle, also took some reps at one-technique. He provided more of an anchor against the run than either Jefferson or Phillips did, and those efforts could be worthy of a start alongside Oliver. Butler does not provide nearly the type of pass-rushing ability as Jefferson does, but the Bills need to figure something out against the run. If it’s a simple fix of pairing Oliver with Butler and switching Jefferson back to his natural position of three-technique alongside Phillips, then it’s worth a shot. The Bills would still be able to substitute Jefferson in for Butler on obvious passing downs.

 

Against one of the best players in the league in Donald, Ford held his own. There were times when Donald used Ford’s body positioning against him or caught him at the precise second his head went down to blow past him, which led to some pressure in the backfield. Donald does that to everyone, though, including well-established players who aren’t making their first start at the position. Outside of those plays, Ford didn’t look out of place. He blocked well against the run, anchored well in some pass sets and worked together with Dawkins.

 

Top 3 grades - Milano, Singletary, Allen

Bottom 3 grades - Jefferson, Phillips, Winters

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know fans like him but Harrison Phillips is such a meh player to me. 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jefferson got tons of love in the off-season but I can see why he couldn't crack the starting lineup in Seattle.

 

Hope he improves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

I know fans like him but Harrison Phillips is such a meh player to me. 

 

I thought last year he looked good at 1-tech but this year he has been a disappointment. Might still be recovering from the ACL. I'm not giving up on him yet. But I like Joe's suggestion to pair Butler with Oliver on early downs.

 

Also I meant to mention the quotes I posted are less than half of the total content. There's a lot of really good stuff in these articles every week. I can't recommend The Athletic enough.

  • Like (+1) 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

 

I thought last year he looked good at 1-tech but this year he has been a disappointment. Might still be recovering from the ACL. I'm not giving up on him yet. But I like Joe's suggestion to pair Butler with Oliver on early downs.

 

Also I meant to mention the quotes I posted are less than half of the total content. There's a lot of really good stuff in these articles every week. I can't recommend The Athletic enough.

As a late third round pick, if he can be a consistent rotational player getting around 35-40% of the snaps per game then that is a pretty good draft result. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ford against Donald should 100% be one of the best things we’ve heard this young season. First start, here buddy take on the best defensive player in the league.. Oh and have fun. 
Donald was gonna flash regardless but it’s cool to hear Ford did his job well and held his own. 

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Jefferson got tons of love in the off-season but I can see why he couldn't crack the starting lineup in Seattle.

 

Hope he improves

He's 290 lbs and mostly played end last year for the Seahawks as well as some 3t. It really doesn't surprise me that he's struggled at 1t.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think Ford against Donald should 100% be one of the best things we’ve heard this young season. First start, here buddy take on the best defensive player in the league.. Oh and have fun. 
Donald was gonna flash regardless but it’s cool to hear Ford did his job well and held his own. 


Yeah. Looks like they’re finally getting the pieces to the O-line in place.  Now they need to settle on a right guard.  Spain?  Boettger?  Bates?  Boehm?


And I agree that Phillips is probably still recovering physically and mentally from the ACL tear.  Hopefully they start Butler because they need to do some thing and quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem with the DL is Butler should be playing the 1-Tech, as they mentioned, and everyone else is actually a 3-Tech. Harrison Phillips is a 3-Tech in my opinion. He was much more effective going after the QB and disrupting plays in the backfield at Stanford than he was trying to take on a couple of blockers to clog up the interior. I think we, dare I say it, miss Star on the DL. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I know fans like him but Harrison Phillips is such a meh player to me. 

 

He was looking like he was about to have a breakout in 2019 then he got hurt. He hasn't come back to that form in 2020.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The worst part of the Rams’ comeback, from a Bills perspective, had to be Allen’s temporary relapse into old habits that led to multiple negative plays. Perhaps it was complacency with a big lead, or Allen pressing to put the game out of reach because he saw the defense struggling. Whatever the case, Allen lost his poise and control of the offense. He was evading the pocket prematurely, occasionally throwing off his back foot and failing to “live to fight another day” on plays that called for either a dump-off pass or a throwaway. Though, fortunately for the Bills, it was only temporary.

 

If he is referring to the interception in the cover one analysis Kroft is open and the defense player coming free off the tackle prevents this from being an even bigger play as it was open and to say it was a hero ball.  Some of those throws off his back foot was due to the line being continually pushed back into him and funny how he gave praise to Ford for holing his own.  Did not like this analysis but to each there own.

 

39:36 is a good review and show of the play in regards to the interception

 

 

and as always these guys do a good job breaking it down some nice clips of Donald owning Ford in this but Josh gets the ball out quick enough 17:55 that swim move on Ford man taking advantage of the OL with his head down

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I know fans like him but Harrison Phillips is such a meh player to me. 

 

it's going to take till the end of the year for him to fully recover just like everyone one else that has knee surgery. you won't see the same player (pre injury) until next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost a little respect for Joe B based on his analysis of Edmund's play.   Or Oliver, for that matter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

If he is referring to the interception in the cover one analysis Kroft is open and the defense player coming free off the tackle prevents this from being an even bigger play as it was open and to say it was a hero ball.  Some of those throws off his back foot was due to the line being continually pushed back into him and funny how he gave praise to Ford for holing his own.  Did not like this analysis but to each there own.

 

Here's an example of what he means:

 

 

Allen could have stayed in the pocket and hit Beasley for a solid gain.

 

No big deal, he is getting better all the time and I'm sure by the end of the season he will hit these. He was clearly getting flustered by Donald at this point and it caused him to make a few poor decisions.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

 

Here's an example of what he means:

 

 

Allen could have stayed in the pocket and hit Beasley for a solid gain.

 

No big deal, he is getting better all the time and I'm sure by the end of the season he will hit these. He was clearly getting flustered by Donald at this point and it caused him to make a few poor decisions.


He also could’ve run to his left and may have scored!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edmunds may have had a good first half but dude SUCKED in the 2nd half. Ridiculous Joe B said nothing about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think the problem with the DL is Butler should be playing the 1-Tech, as they mentioned, and everyone else is actually a 3-Tech. Harrison Phillips is a 3-Tech in my opinion. He was much more effective going after the QB and disrupting plays in the backfield at Stanford than he was trying to take on a couple of blockers to clog up the interior. I think we, dare I say it, miss Star on the DL. 

Blasphemy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

 

Here's an example of what he means:

 

 

Allen could have stayed in the pocket and hit Beasley for a solid gain.

 

No big deal, he is getting better all the time and I'm sure by the end of the season he will hit these. He was clearly getting flustered by Donald at this point and it caused him to make a few poor decisions.

That is pretty close as the line only gave him a bit over 2s on that play and it looks like his red was to the right based on the defense. Always easy after the facts that you need to be in the QB room to see what he was seeing by the defense and reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Edmunds may have had a good first half but dude SUCKED in the 2nd half. Ridiculous Joe B said nothing about this.

 

He actually does talk about that and gave Edmunds one of the lower grades for the day. I just don't want to post the whole thing and cheat them out of money.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...