All-22 Grades for Bills/Rams (The Athletic)

HappyDays

14 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Harrison Phillips doesn't have the explosion to be effective pressuring the QB in pass defense.  He's a bit undersized for 1 tech but with his wrestling background he's got a good understanding of leverage.  He's also coming back from bilateral knee surgery.  That can't make things easy.  I still wouldn't want him to be my starting nose tackle.

I think the knee injury is definitely still causing him an issue at this time, but I always thought he would be a 3-Tech or 5-Tech in the NFL. His last two years he was a disruptive force at Stanford. I saw him play multiple times and he stood out making plays in the backfield or getting to the QB. You had to account for him. In 2016 he had 10 tfl's and 7 sacks. In 2017 he 17 tfl's and 7.5 sacks. I believe part of his ineffectiveness up to this point of his career is being played out of position. 

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Like I said he’s been very good in spurts and awful in others.... dude was flat out awful in the 2nd half Sunday. Terrible. Worst defensive player on the field terrible. 

He ... is ... injured. 

He was obviously favoring his shoulder later in the game. And yet he was not the worst on the field, nor terrible. Certainly not as good as he generally is, but as usual, using hyperbole just makes someone look unreasonable. Both your posts about him because of their exaggerated nature, just look kind of twisted.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

You do realize they play different roles, right...

Epenesa screwed the pooch on that play as well, but chalk that up to inexperience.   I have no idea what Edmunds was doing...

Filling a gap that nobody else was filling.

That's nice play design by McVay, and Taron Johnson running into Epenesa and falling down. Not a good look for that whole side, really, but absolutely can't be blamed only on Edmunds, though with the shoulder he couldn't get off the block well at all.

McD keeps saying this is about run fits. From this film, he's dead right, though the play was designed to be confusing and to mess up run fits and was successful.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Get NFL game pass and rewatch the game.... dude was a hot mess in the 3rd and 4th. Getting blown off the ball, easily engaged and blocked, wrong gaps, terrible missed tackles, over pursing. . 

Check out Woods TD to make the game 28-17. Olay! 

Yeah, reaches out with his right hand and Woods kind of runs right through it. 

Which shoulder was injured again? Oh, yeah, the right one. Gosh, hard to figure what happened there.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not hyperbole at all and the tape speaks for itself but I've said enough already...

Yeah, you certainly have.

Edited by Thurman#1

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Filling a gap that nobody else was filling.

That's nice play design by McVay, and Taron Johnson running into Epenesa and falling down. Not a good look for that whole side, really, but absolutely can't be blamed only on Edmunds, though with the shoulder he couldn't get off the block well at all.

McD keeps saying this is about run fits. From this film, he's dead right, though the play was designed to be confusing and to mess up run fits and was successful.

All that stuff messes up run fits, you also have the element of a very heavy PA/screen offense that puts the DBs and LBs on their heels.  

48 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It wasn't just that play.  McVay dusted off the '19 Bills film and specifically adjusted the 2nd half offense to attack Bills' D aggressiveness and its susceptibility to misdirection.  Add very poor run support up the middle, and that's how you got 29 points in less than 1.5 quarters.  Frazier got totally undressed in this one, and was saved by a maturing Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't think it is even remotely likely that Phillips would get cut or traded this year. But stranger things have happened. Could his snaps be reduced? For sure.

Edmunds went to the pro bowl last year. I think his trajectory as a player has been a fairly steady climb. He's still super young. He's banged up. I'm pretty sure he'll get things turned around.

I think people are really hard on Edumonds overly so. He was a solid MLB the first half of last season and then the back half of the season turned it on to a near All-Pro level. He was lights out against the Jets and then got hurt. He played up and down against the Rams (I thought he had a good first half bad second half.) I am not ready to say this team need to draft a MLB next year just yet like some have been hyperbolically stating. 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Refusing to overpay for the other one was the only smart decision. He was certainly not especially effective against the run.

I don't know how so many people forget that Phillips was a pass rusher and not a run stuffer. When this team suffered a big lapse in run defense from weeks 7-11 last year teams were picking on Phillips freelancing ways. Now McD did adjust the scheme to work around Phillips (who was a good pass rusher) but it wasn't like Phillips was a big part of the run defense. I think people see the flashy plays and his size and think he was a bigger part of the team's success last year in the ground game than he was.

3 hours ago, GG said:

It wasn't just that play.  McVay dusted off the '19 Bills film and specifically adjusted the 2nd half offense to attack Bills' D aggressiveness and its susceptibility to misdirection.  Add very poor run support up the middle, and that's how you got 29 points in less than 1.5 quarters.  Frazier got totally undressed in this one, and was saved by a maturing Josh.

This is absolutely correct.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He has been considerably worse than meh through 3 weeks. 

I am lower than Joe on Milano this week. Not that he didn't do better on the all22 than I immediately thought on tv angle but he still had some run fit mistakes as well. Other than that I agree with his grades. 

Sometimes I notice Milano likes to shoot his gap instead of plug/plant which can be an issue, he's not on balance and relying on his athleticism to make a play

against talented fundamentally sound offensive lines/schemes like Eagles last yr and Rams this year...not a great idea. 

• Like (+1) 2