Great Win today, we beat the Rams and the Refs.

The call was horrible. The fact it was upheld was horrible.

I believe it comes from the inconsistency of the replay standard of evidence. It was generally accepted that most of these close calls you err on the side of a score or turnover because it gives you an automatic chance to review and give the correct call.

Then the standard for "clear and obvious" has shifted over the years and egregiously so this year so far. They've conditioned the refs to go with the call that gives a replay so you could get it right, then took away the ability to get it right with a centralized booth review from NY with an extreme standard for evidence.

The refs and more importantly, the replay refs, missed the interception, but that PI they called on the next to last play, we never get called. That could have easily been a no call. The defense thought they could play prevent, but they couldn't tackle or put pressure on Goff. Woods , Kupp and Higbie uncovered after Goff ate a sandwich back there, and they looked unstoppable. Thankfully,  Josh put on his superman outfit and saved the game. Look for a heavy dose of Josh Jacob's and that great tight end next week. 

6 minutes ago, PoBills33 said:

True, but in real time officials have blunders like this.  The fact that someone watched that in slow motioned and upheld the call is crazy.  Whoever is responsible must have had money on the game or something.

Understand, but the problem was there needs to be clear evidence of the call on the field being wrong to over turn.  What I saw in every replay was Kroft making the catch, then the defender obscured the view of the ball, then Kroft hitting the ground effectively ending the play.  Did the defender take the ball away before Kroft hit the ground?  Probably not, but since you can't see the ball how do you know for certain, so the assumption then becomes the referee had the best view, maybe he saw the ball pulled out prior to hitting the ground, if so would have been correct.

Either way there really wasn't a clear view to show that Kroft still had the ball in his possession when he hit the ground so does become hard to overturn.

27 minutes ago, RichVP said:

The call was horrible. The fact it was upheld was horrible.

I believe it comes from the inconsistency of the replay standard of evidence. It was generally accepted that most of these close calls you err on the side of a score or turnover because it gives you an automatic chance to review and give the correct call.

Then the standard for "clear and obvious" has shifted over the years and egregiously so this year so far. They've conditioned the refs to go with the call that gives a replay so you could get it right, then took away the ability to get it right with a centralized booth review from NY with an extreme standard for evidence.

I find it ironic that they had "clear and obvious" evidence to overturn the Diggs TD earlier in the game. On replay it looks like the ball hit the grass, but Diggs had his hands under the ball and the ball didn't move when it hit the grass. Moot point I guess since we got a TD a few plays later 

25 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I find it ironic that they had "clear and obvious" evidence to overturn the Diggs TD earlier in the game. On replay it looks like the ball hit the grass, but Diggs had his hands under the ball and the ball didn't move when it hit the grass. Moot point I guess since we got a TD a few plays later 

I agree. Even when it came to the throw away turned into a sack. It was obvious his knee was down but by their standards, it was not obvious from that angle the ball was still in his hands.

I think both the Diggs touchdown, and the Allen Sack were the right calls but this was clearly simultaneous catch which is supposed to go to the offensive player. It may not have been clear who had control  to say Kroft caught it but it was a clear simultaneous catch.

2 hours ago, BrotherChazz said:

I know everyone wants to blame the refs for Josh’s pick, and while it was absolutely a terrible call, it was also a pretty ill-advised throw into double coverage.

The throw to Diggs last week also looked like a bad decision. Diggs caught (TOOK) the ball, we won the game. It may have been OPI today, but it was NOT an interception.  Josh gets dinged statistically, but I’m sure he’s just glad we won.

That 4th quarter magic is some special stuff! I hope we need it less down the road, my heart needs a break! 

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Mike Pereira disagrees with you. It was a PI but not and interception and the 4th down PI was PI

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

It was.  It was also a terrible call and 💯 not a pick.  So yeah, we’re blaming the refs because it was their fault 

One call was wrong.  One call was right.  

In years past, we don’t get that call.  I still can’t believe we got it. Looked to me like it was the right call.  Not a make up call.  

No, pereira agreed with me.  I said it looked like a penalty.  I said- in years past, we don’t get that call. Pereira never made a comment about bills teams of the past, unless I missed something.  I was surprised that they threw the flag.  I didn’t say it was a bad call.  

I'm a Bills fan tried and true, but the Rams fans must be livid at the PI call on 4th down at the end.  I'm thinking in 9 out of 10 games in that situation, there is no flag thrown and the Bills lose.  I'm really glad we got that break (the kind that historically has been incredibly rare for the Bills). 

As for the Interception call, it was egregious.  Kroft catches the pass, holds it all the way to the ground, and the defender who puts his hands on the ball late in the play never rips the ball away.  Still - we need to remember it was already 1st and 20 when that play started.  If the play had not been called an interception, but the penalty held, it would have been 1st and 30.  There's no certainty we get a first down out of that.  In all likelihood we'd have been punting.  And then they get the ball, albeit a little time passes first, and we are in the same situation, needing to stop them.  Which we didn't.  While we all hate calls that are so seriously botched, I don't think it was the game changer everyone is saying it was.

2 hours ago, BrotherChazz said:

I know everyone wants to blame the refs for Josh’s pick, and while it was absolutely a terrible call, it was also a pretty ill-advised throw into double coverage.

Still one of a few areas Josh needs to keep getting better in. Don’t put us in a potential momentum shifting situation by making that throw. Just didn’t need to happen. Horrible call, sure, doesn’t absolve Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No, pereira agreed with me.  I said it looked like a penalty.  I said- in years past, we don’t get that call. Pereira never made a comment about bills teams of the past, unless I missed something.  I was surprised that they threw the flag.  I didn’t say it was a bad call.  

Apologies. In my beer and adrenaline fueled post game mindset I misread your comment. You, Pereira and I are correct 😀 

Edited by ProcessAccepted
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I know enought about any sport to know that if you get a bad call suck it up and dont let it stop you playing...

They couldnt stop an ant in that second half...

Fair point, my friend. I just get extra worked up when I feel we're getting screwed. Too many BS calls the last 20 years. That one seemed way over the top. But, you're right also... gotta still play after a bad call. LA owned us for about 15 minutes after that. Gotta better deal with adversity.  Go Bills.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Fair point, my friend. I just get extra worked up when I feel we're getting screwed. Too many BS calls the last 20 years. That one seemed way over the top. But, you're right also... gotta still play after a bad call. LA owned us for about 15 minutes after that. Gotta better deal with adversity.  Go Bills.

Cheers pal... I was frustrated too today... That call and the defensive play in the Second half ..... 

I want to believve that this team can challenge for the championship this year, but they are going to have to have to play better...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

the interception gave them the ball at mid field.  Our punter was dropping dimes like he was josh allen.  It was a huge momentum turn.  It was a terrible call.  The “make up” call, was a penalty.  A good call that should have been called.  Sure, they could’ve not thrown a flag, but that would’ve been another bad call against us.  

I think what people are missing on the PI calls is that this ref crew likely calls PI heavily. Still no excuse on the INT, but they weren’t just “letting them play” like some ref crews. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

O/U was ~47 points with a spread of 2.5.... Vegas doesn’t necessarily make money on who wins the games.  

Tell that to the conspiracist.  He was saying evil gambling forces were paying the refs to make calls influencing the outcome 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1