Josh Allen takes a step: 71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

So disagree with this.

The option looked like crap today and it puts our QB at risk and the ball at risk of being fumbled.

We knew the Jets D line was the real deal and they showed it today. 
They got some screens to work and some not. They ran more screens today than I remember in forever. This shows me the coaches we’re looking to nullify the rush.

I feel like they should have been pitching it out and running a few more dump offs and bubble screens in lieu of running up the middle on this D.

He did attempt 46 passes vs. only 18 rushes from the backs in a game where we were up two scores for most of the game. Another screen or two couldn't have hurt but the threat of him running is still a big part of what makes him effective. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

He does do some crazy things but I think he'll always be like that. What can I say? I just love watching him play. To me, if he didn't do some of the headscratching stuff he wouldn't do some of the great stuff either because that's just the way he plays. 

But yeah, he could hold the ball a little tighter on those scrambles, that's easily fixable!

This reminds me of a hilarious article by (I believe) The Ringer after the playoff loss. 

Just now, VW82 said:

He did attempt 46 passes vs. only 18 rushes from the backs in a game where we were up two scores for most of the game. Another screen or two couldn't have hurt but the threat of him running is still a big part of what makes him effective. 

Threat doesn’t equal design.

The threat of a broken play is far different from having him go up the middle of the D in heavy traffic.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Threat doesn’t equal design.

The threat of a broken play is far different from having him go up the middle of the D in heavy traffic.

What about the threat of a designed roll out near the goal line or a quick scamper through an open gap for an easy first down out of shotgun. Both those things happened today. We need to put that stuff on tape so teams aren't teeing off on him because he takes too long to throw. Also, because he's good at it (when he isn't fumbling).

Edited by VW82

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

What about the threat of a designed roll out near the goal line or a quick scamper through an open gap for an easy first down out of shotgun. Both those things happened today. We need to put that stuff on tape so teams aren't teeing off on him because he takes too long to throw. Also, because he's good at it (when he isn't fumbling).

A roll out with a chance to throw, I like. It’s JA’s decision and he’s not in traffic. 
    Options I don’t like. Using it from time to time is good. IMO there were too many today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Aaronthebaron said:

There’s some things for him to clean up, but he was terrific. The missed throw to Brown sticks out, but I just watched Brees have two awful misses, and about 5 bad throws from Brady. Sometimes that happens to even the best. Allen has always been great at learning from mistakes. 

I like that the game had some mistakes, it’ll keep players hungry. 

To your point Brady had a Petermanesque pick six into the flat today, and Rivers had 300+ yards but also his signature game losing pick.

Josh Allen was the best player on the field today (though an honorable mention should go to Marcus Maye 2 sacks, 2 stuffs, 2 PD 1 FF, 7 tack, 3 assists)

Josh sensed pressure and escaped it. Sometimes he ran for it, sometimes he kept a play alive for a big pass. The Bills drove to the redzone 6-7 times today, on a day Allen was the only real spark in the run game. They scored TDs on 3 strait possessions. A less mobile QB would have been killed today.

Also look at the arm angle on the John Brown TD pass. If JA can sense pressure, escape and utilize different arm angles as needed, whooo boy this is only going to get better and better.

Just hang onto the darned ball, or throw it away on some of the broken plays Josh. But we will always get the head scratchers from him. I compared him to Favre shortly after being drafted. Big arm, excellent mobility, questionable completion percentage, plays a bit recklessly. Favre made some plays only he cold make because of his physical skills and refusal to let any play die. This also led him to really bad plays at times.

JA and Favre play the game the same way. Similar skill set. If JA can keep improving he will be a folk hero for Bills fans and a draw for non-Bills fans. 'Just what is that Josh Allen going to do next?' There will always be jaw dropping plays, good and bad. I can live with that, it makes the games fun to watch.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Is this all it takes to get a 300 yard game?   Like not run the ball at all?

they were running the ball it was just wildly unsuccessful 😄 not to mention they had a shot to throw for 400 if the jets made it a game...to me this game didn't have the vibe of 'they did everything they could and just barely cracked 300' but maybe thats just me lol

42 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Torn?

Are you expecting perfection?

Allen needs to protect the football better when he runs and should've hit Brown in the EZ. 

95% of today's game he was excellent.

Yes torn, his history of ball security is well established.  Aside from that he was very good. 

I don't need perfection, and he exceeded my expectations today, but these fumbles are nothing new. 

• Like (+1) 1

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS RTG
Tom Brady 23/36 239 6.6 2 2 3-15 78.3  

Would any of the haters on this board prefer this performance?

Thanks... Yep... Thanks... Heard ya, loud and clear... 

YOU WOULDN'T!

Anyhow, Allen was a stud, today. Whether you want to cry in the corner, or witness history as it changes, that's up to you. I'm basking in a great game. On to Miami. 

P.S. LB's: I hear avocado toast works... Get well, soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

I also think catching the ball is contagious. I saw a lot of guys out there that normally drop balls, make some tough catches. That JB TD wasn’t an easy catch. The Beasley seam route was an under throw and a

tough catch. The Knox fade was not an easy catch. I am hoping Diggs has basically raised the bar for everyone. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:
  C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS RTG
Tom Brady 23/36 239 6.6 2 2 3-15 78.3  

Would any of the haters on this board prefer this performance?

Thanks... Yep... Thanks... Heard ya, loud and clear... 

YOU WOULDN'T!

Anyhow, Allen was a stud, today. Whether you want to cry in the corner, or witness history as it changes, that's up to you. I'm basking in a great game. On to Miami. 

P.S. LB's: I hear avocado toast works... Get well, soon. 

Yup, Brady also had a fumble today too. One of his INT was a Peterman special pick six.

For a better Comparison Wentz 24/42 (57%) 270 2 TD/ 2 INT, 1 rush for 2 yards, and 2 Fumbles (1 lost) against a team that doesn't even have a name!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Yup, Brady also had a fumble today too. One of his INT was a Peterman special pick six.

For a better Comparison Wentz 24/42 (57%) 270 2 TD/ 2 INT, 1 rush for 2 yards, and 2 Fumbles (1 lost) against a team that doesn't even have a name!

In that light, we may have a Quarterback... Just maybe :flirt:

• Like (+1) 1