Josh Allen takes a step: 71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

He missed some wide open guys and the turnovers hurt but Allen had a solid game versus the Jets.  Will be interesting to see if his "progress" continues to show when the competition gets tougher.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

and total command of a No-huddle offense.

That TD pass to Brown on my first and only watch so far sure looked like Allen adjusting and audibles to something he saw at the line on D.

Everyone will point to the miss to Brown in the EZ, but other than that wild miss, Allen was a precision passer.

Adding Diggs made a clear difference for week #1.

My issue is with all the designed runs Daboll is still calling. Allen needs to secure the ball better obviously. It's upsetting he hasn't resolved that.

But even Allen made it sound like he'd be running less. Guess not.

Two hands, Josh!!! :beer:

Finally, we agree and all is right in the world. Nice write up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's hard to understand how Allan can carry the ball so loosely.  He's one of the biggest strongest guys on the field, but you think by now he learn that he needs to better protect it and cradle it to his body.  There were a couple other times, he could have just as easily fumbled it based on how he was carrying it.  

Maybe it's a case of WR and RB have enough experience running with the ball and defenders trying to strip it, that they just naturally protect it better.  Josh with more limited times running with the ball, he is used to doing it against other who are much weaker so he can get away with it, but not in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

We all saw his mistakes today, but over all I thought Allen was great as well as the rest of the offense. No pre season games and an ab normal off-season led me to think we'd see some sloppy football today, but it was actually much better than I expected. I do think the jets are terrible and that the bills benefited from that today, but the chemistry with the wide receivers was great and I'd only expect that to get better 

• Like (+1) 3

Allen only had one bad pass IMO and that was missing Brown for the TD.

His audible for the TD was exceptional.  That was 2nd level play for a 3rd year QB.

Cut down on the called Allen runs. He's not a RB and is most dangerous running the ball after the pass protection breaks down. that 3rd & long conversion where Allen danced down the sideline was a thing of beauty.

He spread the ball around nicely. All 3 WR's were involved on the game. 

He is the guy. Of that there is no doubt IMO.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Magox said:

Diggs was a difference maker today.   He had 9 targets with 8 catches.

I"m surprised that he and Josh were as efficient as they were in their first game together.   Can't wait until they begin to open it up some.

And as far as I'm concerned, they should run the 3-4 WR formations often.  

yup. allen works best in the spread

48 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

That throw was perfect. Allen had a chance at another one that he completed up the seam to Beasley in the second half and he threw it too low, negating any RAC. By week 4 i think Allen will be hitting all of those.

Not to be too picky, because I think overall he had a really nice game, but that one to Beasley was frustrating. He hits Beasley in stride and it's 6 points, he had the defense split.

In the end, we missed the FG on that drive.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Not to be too picky, because I think overall he had a really nice game, but that one to Beasley was frustrating. He hits Beasley in stride and it's 6 points, he had the defense split.

In the end, we missed the FG on that drive.

It was but most QBs have one of those a game. They happen. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It was but most QBs have one of those a game. They happen. 

Yeah, it's picky, and it was at least a good completion. But then there's the missed Brown TD too. I guess Josh has a couple of those a game...

• Like (+1) 2

A good effort for the most part I thought. He still takes too long to make his reads sometimes but he's so good at buying time and still getting it down field that it doesn't matter vs. teams like the Jets. 

I think we have to continue using him as a runner until he makes another leap with quick decision making. It sucks because he keeps taking hits and putting the ball on the ground but the threat of him in read option is the only thing that saves our run game. 

It's nice to see things open up for Josh now that Diggs is here. Brown could have a big year. 

Edited by VW82

There’s some things for him to clean up, but he was terrific. The missed throw to Brown sticks out, but I just watched Brees have two awful misses, and about 5 bad throws from Brady. Sometimes that happens to even the best. Allen has always been great at learning from mistakes. 

I like that the game had some mistakes, it’ll keep players hungry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

t the threat of him in read option is the only thing that saves our run game. 

So disagree with this.

The option looked like crap today and it puts our QB at risk and the ball at risk of being fumbled.

We knew the Jets D line was the real deal and they showed it today. 
They got some screens to work and some not. They ran more screens today than I remember in forever. This shows me the coaches we’re looking to nullify the rush.

I feel like they should have been pitching it out and running a few more dump offs and bubble screens in lieu of running up the middle on this D.

2 minutes ago, Aaronthebaron said:

There’s some things for him to clean up, but he was terrific. The missed throw to Brown sticks out, but I just watched Brees have two awful misses, and about 5 bad throws from Brady. Sometimes that happens to even the best. Allen has always been great at learning from mistakes. 

I like that the game had some mistakes, it’ll keep players hungry. 

I’m watching Bucs/ Saints now and there is some brutal passing in this game on both sides for sure.

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

My feelings are torn after today.  He exudes such greatness then follows with mass disappointment. 

Right now I feel really good, but am still very concerned. 

Torn?

Are you expecting perfection?

Allen needs to protect the football better when he runs and should've hit Brown in the EZ. 

95% of today's game he was excellent.

• Like (+1) 4