Josh Allen takes a step: 71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

My feelings are torn after today.  He exudes such greatness then follows with mass disappointment. 

Right now I feel really good, but am still very concerned. 

Josh has always and will always be a polarizing QB !!!!

59 minutes ago, Bills Oil Company said:

My 2 cents: Thank you JETS for taking Darnold before Josh.

To be fair,  Darnold has had zero talent to work around.   And a HC/OC who will not put him in a position to succeed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

Yes torn, his history of ball security is well established.  Aside from that he was very good. 

I don't need perfection, and he exceeded my expectations today, but these fumbles are nothing new. 

Well he didn't throw an Interception, so that half of the ball security seems improved.

I put the other half on Daboll, who needs to stop allowing for so many designed QB runs. I say allowing for because the Bills were no huddle almost the entire game and I wonder how much offensive play calling was Allen himself.

I said as we ended last year I wanted Daboll to drop almost all designed QB runs from our offense, but encourage Allen to run when passing plays break down or even on a QB draw when the middle of the field opens wide.

Regardless, Allen is likely to get some late cheap shots with all these runs. Today on one of his runs he was hit kinda low and tackled and I cringed.

He now appears like a very capable NFL passer. Let him pass and supplement the passing game with his legs on occasion. He's a much more effective runner when he's scrambling, anyway. I looked awhile ago and in his first couple years he's averaged 7 or 8 YPR on passing plays that break down... AKA scrambles.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

My feelings are torn after today.  He exudes such greatness then follows with mass disappointment. 

Right now I feel really good, but am still very concerned. 

You have to take Allen's net results. He's going to make some bad throws but he's going to make MORE good plays.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well he didn't throw an Interception, so that half of the ball security seems improved.

I put the other half on Daboll, who needs to stop allowing for so many designed QB runs. I say allowing for because the Bills were no huddle almost the entire game and I wonder how much offensive play calling was Allen himself.

I said as we ended last year I wanted Daboll to drop almost all designed QB runs from our offense, but encourage Allen to run when passing plays break down or even on a QB draw when the middle of the field opens wide.

Regardless, Allen is likely to get some late cheap shots with all these runs. Today on one of his runs he was hit kinda low and tackled and I cringed.

He now appears like a very capable NFL passer. Let him pass and supplement the passing game with his legs on occasion. He's a much more effective runner when he's scrambling, anyway. I looked awhile ago and in his first couple years he's averaged 7 or 8 YPR on passing plays that break down... AKA scrambles.

I mean even in no huddle Daboll is still in his helmet.

24 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I know it's one game, but all offseason, everybody was saying Josh needs to take another step.  If today's game wasn't a step forward, then he'll never succeed here and with this fanbase.  

It is a vocal minority.  Most recognize that the improvement must continue but a few speak as it will never occur. 

I've been looking forward to the 2020 version of this thread. Will this be the year Josh goes over 60%? Good start so far. Especially with the career high attempts today. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was generally excellent as a passer first half and decent 2nd half. 

Another thing I noticed about Allen today to, especially in the first half I think, he looks absolutely gassed sometimes after a big run but then somehow finds the energy to rifle in a pass with ease. To be as good of a passer as he was today while also expending so much energy being our leading rusher is pretty amazing.

https://theathletic.com/2063922/2020/09/13/seven-observations-from-bills-win-josh-allens-career-day-couldve-been-bigger/?source=user-shared-article

Seven observations from Bills win: Josh Allen’s career day could’ve been bigger

Allen’s career day

The Bills couldn’t have asked for much more production from the third-year quarterback. Allen was their offense Sunday, accounting for a whopping 91.3 percent of their yards. He also had a hand in all three of their touchdowns and moved the ball efficiently. He stayed within the offense and didn’t force the deep ball. He found weak spots in zone coverage, and he even threw the ball with anticipation to new receiver Stefon Diggs. Allen deserves a lot of credit because not only did he help the Bills establish an identity in Week 1, but he also became their identity.

There were a few picture-perfect throws for Allen on Sunday. He had to be a nightmare for the Jets because they couldn’t seem to bring him down in the pocket in the first half. Allen stayed on balance and kept plays alive for either a scramble gain, completion or throwaway. His ability to keep his balance after contact is an underrated characteristic that allows him to shed a tackle or two. When he passed the ball, Allen had a couple of stellar moments. His 22-yard touch completion on a crossing route to Diggs was his best of the day. He put good touch on the pass, allowing Diggs to gain yards after the catch. Allen also seemed much more comfortable on screens than he had the past two years. He also made throws with anticipation.

However, it wasn’t a perfect game by any means. There were some problematic moments for Allen that allowed the Jets to hang around for far too long. His ball security issues from last season returned in full force Sunday as he lost two fumbles. Both lost fumbles came when the Bills were driving deep in Jets territory, stopping Buffalo from scoring any points. The Jets couldn’t do anything to stop the Bills in the first half, and those two turnovers effectively kept them in the game. Allen has now fumbled 18 times in his past 18 games. Though he has cut down his interceptions, his lack of ball security is something that needs to be fixed.

Besides the fumbles, Allen got away with a pair of bad decisions that went for incompletions rather than interceptions. One of them was a forced throw to Diggs in the end zone into double coverage. Allen also missed two huge opportunities for touchdowns in the second half. On their second drive of the third quarter, the Jets had a complete bust in coverage and Cole Beasley was left all alone without a safety over the top down the right hashmarks. Allen’s throw was off target and forced Beasley to make a diving catch for 29 yards. If he had hit Beasley in stride, he could’ve given the Bills a 28-3 lead. The drive eventually resulted in a missed field goal. Again in the fourth quarter, Allen missed an easy throw to John Brown in the end zone, which would have given the Bills a 28-10 lead and removed any more doubt with the game. He missed the throw, forcing the Bills to settle for a field goal that kept the score within two touchdowns.

The Bills lacked the mentality to put away the game. Instead, it just felt like they were riding the wave against a bad team until time ran out. There was a stark difference in talent between the two sides, and the final score didn’t reflect it. Though Allen had one of the best games of his career, it could have been so much more. The Bills will see better competition than a hapless Jets team that put up as much of a fight as a pylon against a 300-pound defensive tackle. However, this was a great jumping-off point for Allen and the Bills offense.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

He throws the ball low quite a bit. If he could get a bit more air under some of his throws guys like Diggs/Brown would get extra yardage. 

Other than that, B+/A- performance for me, really just the fumbles and some ball placement but if that is his avg game, we going far. 

The low ball really hurt Beasley’s chance at getting a TD on that seam route. 

• Like (+1) 2

Recapping this then: josh was excellent and had great ball security, because he threw no picks. And the two lost fumbles were Daboll’s fault. @transplantbillsfan is nothing but on message every year. I respect it.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The low ball really hurt Beasley’s chance at getting a TD on that seam route. 

don’t bring that up! You’ll be branded a hater

3rd quarter play mostly not so good but however very impressed how JA played today.....70+ yrs to Diggs & 80+ yrds to Brown-TD......Knox came up with a couple of good ones as well......especially with the lack of preparation in the league JA was for the most part spot on.....compared it to how he played in the Dallas game last season....I believe he will get better with each game..no regression......Im only worried about our running game though...It was pretty bad today....

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Recapping this then: josh was excellent and had great ball security, because he threw no picks. And the two lost fumbles were Daboll’s fault. @transplantbillsfan is nothing but on message every year. I respect it.

Daboll's fault for those individual fumbles?

No.

Allen has a SERIOUS ball security issue when running the football.

It's Allen’s fault for fumbling in each of those plays once the ball was snapped 100%.

It's on Daboll and the coaches for not either resolving the issue with Allen before continuing along the same designed run path they were on that's led to so many fumbles OR turn down a different path and allow your improved passing QB to be a passing QB.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

Man...when he hit the 300 yard mark, I was more excited than I'd like to admit.

It was the cherry on top of a generally good day for him.

Is he perfect? Nope. There will always be some degree of "The Josh Allen Experience" on display. He is improving, though. No one can deny that. 

He'll always be Josh. I knew from the moment I heard his quote "sorry coach...Favre says always go for the touchdown" that this is who he would be. You take the good with the bad.

As long as the arrow keeps pointing up, all is well. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Is he perfect? Nope. There will always be some degree of "The Josh Allen Experience" on display. He is improving, though. No one can deny that. 

He'll always be Josh. I knew from the moment I heard his quote "sorry coach...Favre says always go for the touchdown" that this is who he would be. You take the good with the bad.

The 300 yard mark was just one of those weights he needed lifted off his shoulders. He could have surpassed that mark in other games, but didn't because of circumstances sometimes out of his control.

I've been waiting to allow Allen to really shred apart a D as a precision passer... today was the first glimpse of that.

Let's hope both he and the offense continue to progress...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The 300 yard mark was just one of those weights he needed lifted off his shoulders. He could have surpassed that mark in other games, but didn't because of circumstances sometimes out of his control.

I've been waiting to allow Allen to really shred apart a D as a precision passer... today was the first glimpse of that.

Let's hope both he and the offense continue to progress...

He might not of done it this game either if the Jets didn't somehow have their only positive of the day being stopping Motor and Moss.

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I've been looking forward to the 2020 version of this thread. Will this be the year Josh goes over 60%? Good start so far. Especially with the career high attempts today. 

Another thing I noticed about Allen today to, especially in the first half I think, he looks absolutely gassed sometimes after a big run but then somehow finds the energy to rifle in a pass with ease. To be as good of a passer as he was today while also expending so much energy being our leading rusher is pretty amazing.

He was our offense today. Obviously his receivers played pretty well but without Josh we would have struggled to move it.

9 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

It is a vocal minority.  Most recognize that the improvement must continue but a few speak as it will never occur. 

I think it undeniable he looked much improved, no one can deny that, even his most vocal detractors, including me. 

Can he clean up his fumbles and continue with consistency?  That is the key.  I'm feeling hopeful as of now. 

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We needed some of those designed runs early on today to extend drives because our running backs were going nowhere. I think having so many in there (I agree there were too many yesterday and some - the 2nd turnover for example - in unnecessary situations) was gameplan specific vs that Jets D. But regardless... Josh still has to hold onto the ball. The fumbles are on him, nobody else and he was the first person to say that after the game yesterday. He has to solve it and only he can do it.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Can’t even lie, Singletary almost busted one when Josh was around 296, and when he got tripped up, I was low key happy because I knew Josh would get 300. 

Good summary of Josh.  The fact he can go 33 of 46 for 312, 46 yards rushing and 3 total TD’s, and still have so much room for improvement is something we should all be excited for.  

Didn’t see the deep stuff in Game 1, and that’s what I’m needing to see.  The Brown/Knox misses in the end zone and his two fumbles are things he can clean up.  

If we have this Josh Allen, who is always improving, WITH a deep ball.... watch out.  

• Like (+1) 2

More of a leap than a step ;) 

Even with the 2 fumbles and he was arguably one of the top 3 QB's in the league yesterday.

If he plays like that every game and doesn't fumble the Bills may never lose another game :) 

Edited by JMF2006