WTF is Peter King thinking?? Picks Dolphins to win AFC East

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Everyone seems to look past the ridiculous cake walk of a schedule last season.... and McDs awful record against winning teams to this point.

This year is really going to tell a lot.

Correct, But the addition of a talent like Diggs should automatically improve Josh Allen and McDermott's ability to win games against good teams.  If this team starts improving in key areas like  3rd down conversions,   redzone conversions and playing more up-tempo game, they can beat the good teams in the league. 

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Everyone seems to look past the ridiculous cake walk of a schedule last season.... and McDs awful record against winning teams to this point.

This is an almost completely invalid point when discussing winning the division.  We'll play Tenn and Pitt where the other teams play Bal, Cin, Cle, Ind, Jax, Hou.  That's the entire difference when it comes to winning the division.

Your instant spin of negativity doesn't turn irrelevant data points into meaningful considerations.

8 hours ago, Doc said:

I never clicked on the link but did King predict that Tua would take over and that's the reason for his prediction?  Because again, Fitz has never taken a team to the playoffs and only once did he lead a team to a winning record...only to choke in the season finale that would have sent his team (Jets, 2015, against the Bills) to the playoffs if they had won.

As for Tua, I can't see him starting unless Fitz gets injured or they start poorly and are out of it early, like last year.  I don't think he's shown he's ready and sitting on the bench won't help him much in that regard.  At best I can see him playing in the season finale like Mahomes did.  Which again leads up back to Fitz and what he can't do.

The easiest way to wreck Tua is to throw him out there before he's ready.

13 hours ago, njbuff said:

Wow, a lot people seem to care about someone's opinion that means absolutely nothing.

To be fair, you've just summed up the entire Two Bills Drive message board (not that you're wrong).

On another note, while I obviously don't agree with King - as a fan base we need to keep our lenses in check. Remember, this is a team that got stronger and better as the season went on, which means Flores did his job and is probably getting better at it. They also did have an infusion of talent and when you combine coaching and talent, there is at least the potential for good things to happen. That doesn't mean I agree with King or that I would say the Bills won't win the division, but I do know that all too often teams get cocky and then the fans dismiss other teams who make the leap of surprising the league. Do I think it's the Dolphins? No. I think they're an 8 win team. Do I think's impossible for the Dolphins to win 10 games? Also no. I think there is just so much that could go well and so much that could go wrong. 

Either way, my point is while I don't agree with King - it's not ludicrous to be conservative and humble and remember nothing in the NFL is guaranteed and it rarely goes as expected. Head down, work hard, and love the game. Bills do that, and I think they win the Division and 11 games or more. I also think, IF the Bills 11 games or more, then they've probably beaten a couple of quality playoff teams and that means, the sky's the limit. 

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

what brings you joy?

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Peterman hype videos.

Well they did get swept by the 11-5 Patriots last season, so it’s not invalid if you think the Patriots will be a good team again. 

Is it lost on you that divisional teams play each other twice every year?

The topic of the thread is basically whether the Bills will win the division.  You cited the Bills difficult schedule as a reason they might not.  That is an almost entirely invalid reason.  

Now if you're saying "team x" within our division has improved, thus our schedule is harder than 2019, there might be a small point but the fact remains that each team plays the others twice.  Are you saying the Patriots have improved?  If so, make that the basis for your argument.  

Edited by 4merper4mer

28 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is it lost on you that divisional teams play each other twice every year?

The topic of the thread is basically whether the Bills will win the division.  You cited the Bills difficult schedule as a reason they might not.  That is an almost entirely invalid reason.  

Now if you're saying "team x" within our division has improved, thus our schedule is harder than 2019, there might be a small point but the fact remains that each team plays the others twice.  Are you saying the Patriots have improved?  If so, make that the basis for your argument.  

I don't think even he would do that.

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

1 hour ago, teef said:

what brings you joy?

I'm actually with ScottLaw on this one.  I've been concerned about McDermott's a) inability to beat winning teams and b) propensity to get blown out for a while, now.  I did not like how the Bills limped into the playoffs last year.  I do not like when teams take their foot off the gas after clinching.  Winning 10 games last year was borderline pathetic with that schedule and it bothers me to this day.  And don't even get me started on how the roster was managed leading up to the playoffs and how the players were (mis)used in the playoff loss.

This will be a telling year, for sure.  I'm optimistic  -  more so than I can remember.  But it's cautious optimism.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Peterman hype videos.

Well they did get swept by the 11-5 Patriots last season, so it’s not invalid if you think the Patriots will be a good team again. 

Do you? Objectively speaking, how exactly have they improved their game day roster this offseason? Adding covid opt outs, how much regression could they afford after losing Brady? And before you tell me that Cam will be Brady Jr. under center there--he's first got to show that he can remain upright and out of the trainer's treatment room long enough to matter. Then there's this:

"Newton had no preseason games or joint practices to test drive this offense. There are rookies at tight end, a virtual rookie at fullback (Jakob Johnson), a wide receiver group that’s little-improved from the 2019 crew which Pro Football Focus said “collectively had the worst season of any receivers in the 14 years PFF has been grading every snap of NFL games.”

To think Newton’s going to come out Sunday against Miami, complete more than 60 percent of his passes, help the offense convert more than 40 percent of its third downs and have things moving like clockwork is to be detached from reality. Could it happen? Yes. But I’d be gobsmacked if it did."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/what-would-successful-2020-season-be-cam-newton-patriots

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Do you? Objectively speaking, how exactly have they improved their game day roster this offseason? Adding covid opt outs, how much regression could they afford after losing Brady? And before you tell me that Cam will be Brady Jr. under center there--he's first got to show that he can remain upright and out of the trainer's treatment room long enough to matter. Then there's this:

"Newton had no preseason games or joint practices to test drive this offense. There are rookies at tight end, a virtual rookie at fullback (Jakob Johnson), a wide receiver group that’s little-improved from the 2019 crew which Pro Football Focus said “collectively had the worst season of any receivers in the 14 years PFF has been grading every snap of NFL games.”

To think Newton’s going to come out Sunday against Miami, complete more than 60 percent of his passes, help the offense convert more than 40 percent of its third downs and have things moving like clockwork is to be detached from reality. Could it happen? Yes. But I’d be gobsmacked if it did."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/what-would-successful-2020-season-be-cam-newton-patriots

The Cheaters would be thrilled to get the same production from Newton that they got out of Brady last year.  That being said, it's highly unlikely.

• Like (+1) 1

The one thing King was probably enamored with is the Fins did buy $235.8 mil. in talent, and had 11 draft picks.  That is a lot of talent, but they don’t have the time to get this talent to work together.  It would be a nice September surprise if the Fins beat the Lats this Sunday before we beat them next week.  

Ive said it before, the Dolphins are the team to worry about either next year or the years after that as their coach I think is going to be good.  I thought it was high class for him to come up and put his arm around Fitzy when he had to deliver the news about his mom.  That sucks, and credit to Fitz, he was back to work in a few days.  I had to take 10 days off when my mom passed.  We had to fly back to Buffalo, and help Dad with everything.  I know a side topic, but hope Fitzy’s doing ok.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm actually with ScottLaw on this one.  I've been concerned about McDermott's a) inability to beat winning teams and b) propensity to get blown out for a while, now.  I did not like how the Bills limped into the playoffs last year.  I do not like when teams take their foot off the gas after clinching.  Winning 10 games last year was borderline pathetic with that schedule and it bothers me to this day.  And don't even get me started on how the roster was managed leading up to the playoffs and how the players were (mis)used in the playoff loss.

This will be a telling year, for sure.  I'm optimistic  -  more so than I can remember.  But it's cautious optimism.

i don't quite have this take.  i think people are expecting a bit too much a bit too fast.  when beane and company took over 3 years ago, this team hadn't sniffed the post season in 17 years.  by a miracle they made the playoffs in that year, only to have the "rebuild" start the following year, and since then there have positive strides.  without looking, the blowouts decreased significantly from year two to year three.  last year they were still relying a lot on first and second year guys.  there were still questions about depth, etc.  even the best teams have questions, but the bills are more rounded than they have been in years.  i think you'll see those frustrating issues disappear a bit.

i don't love the offensive philosophy either, but i think a lot of it has to do with developing allen.  i think this staff when far out of their way not to ruin the kid, and so far so good.  if this team doesn't take a leap, it will be on him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

How did the Bills limp into the playoffs when we clinched in week 15?  If we hadn't rested our starters in week 17, we would have beaten the Jets.  Would 11-5  with the same seed in the playoffs make that much of a difference in your opinion?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How did the Bills limp into the playoffs when we clinched in week 15?  If we hadn't rested our starters in week 17, we would have beaten the Jets.  Would 11-5  with the same seed in the playoffs make that much of a difference in your opinion?

You play to win the game.  

37 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The one thing King was probably enamored with is the Fins did buy $235.8 mil. in talent, and had 11 draft picks.  That is a lot of talent, but they don’t have the time to get this talent to work together.  It would be a nice September surprise if the Fins beat the Lats this Sunday before we beat them next week.  

Ive said it before, the Dolphins are the team to worry about either next year or the years after that as their coach I think is going to be good.  I thought it was high class for him to come up and put his arm around Fitzy when he had to deliver the news about his mom.  That sucks, and credit to Fitz, he was back to work in a few days.  I had to take 10 days off when my mom passed.  We had to fly back to Buffalo, and help Dad with everything.  I know a side topic, but hope Fitzy’s doing ok.

Excellent comment. Hard to see the Dolphins putting it together this year, but they finally seem to have a plan coupled with an infusion of young talent.

• Like (+1) 1