WTF is Peter King thinking?? Picks Dolphins to win AFC East

8 hours ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

I generally respected Peter King and his takes on the NFL but this one is out of left field.  He only considers the Bills a 3rd tier team, along with numerous others.  He has the Chiefs and Ravens as Tier 1 and the Titans as the only tier 2.  That being said picking the Dolphins as to win the AFC East with the potential win 10 games seems ridiculous to me.  Here's the link just scroll down to the 2020 predictions ...

https://t.co/BWqwmoDnZq?amp=1

I think he's trying to get clicks.

No thank you

1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

Really? You can't see the comparison? A team that hasn't made the playoffs in over ten years makes a couple of splash signings and becomes media darlings before ending up with a .500 record.

Perhaps you think that Brady is unbeatable simply because he's had his foot on the Bills neck for so long. 

Only if you knew nothing about the Bucs last season would you imagine some "comparison" to the Freddie Kitchens Browns of last season.

Since you couldn't be bothered to look it up, I have volunteered to help you:

Tampa's offense scored 458 points (for comparison, the Bills scored 314 and NE 420)--3rd in the NFL last year.  That's the 7th most of any team not making the playoffs in the past 28 years----with Jameis Winston at the helm.

Tampa had 30 ints and 11 lost fumbles last year.  Yet they still scored more points than they allowed all season..  You think Brady will throw 30 ints?

6 of their 9 losses were of 7 points or less.  Maybe the turnovers were a factor, you think?

Only 6 of their 16 games this season are against teams who had winning records last year.

Bruce Arians isn't Freddie Kitchen's

Lazy take----no points for you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Only if you knew nothing about the Bucs last season would you imagine some "comparison" to the Freddie Kitchens Browns of last season.

Tampa's offense scored 458 points (for comparison, the Bills scored 314 and NE 420)--3rd in the NFL last year.  That's the 7th most of any team not making the playoffs in the past 28 years----with Jameis Winston at the helm.

Tampa had 30 ints and 11 lost fumbles last year.  Yet they still scored more points than they allowed all season..  You think Brady will throw 30 ints?

6 of their 9 losses were of 7 points or less.  Maybe the turnovers were a factor, you think?

Only 6 of their 16 games this season are against teams who had winning records last year.

Well said. Tampa goes 12-4 (5-1 in the division) and has a first round bye.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

Really? You can't see the comparison? A team that hasn't made the playoffs in over ten years makes a couple of splash signings and becomes media darlings before ending up with a .500 record.

Perhaps you think that Brady is unbeatable simply because he's had his foot on the Bills neck for so long. 

WEO may have responded but since I have an opinion I have to say; the comparison isn't exactly apples to apples. Cleveland is well.....Cleveland. Arians is definitely an improvement over Kitchens, Chudzinski, Williams, Pettine, Shurmur, Mangini.....by some exponential factor, I just don't have the metric handy. Even a diminished Marcia is better than Mayfield and Winston combined. Marcia with weapons and a chip on his shoulder in a Bruce Arians-Byron Leftwich offense could be lightning in a bottle. Winston was lighting it up, he was just turning the ball over A LOT. Tommy Boy isn't known for that. And New England has had their foot on a lot of necks for a while now. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well said. Tampa goes 12-4 (5-1 in the division) and has a first round bye.

Full disclosure: I stole almost all those stats from today's NYP I read at JFK lol.  But still, comparing Tampa's prospects this year to the hype the Browns (I even did some of that) had last year is comparing fantasy to reality.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, George C said:

Until Allen shows he can connect on all passes, which he has not, he will remain the issue. I’m not drinking the Kool-Aid until I see all of the passes..

Tua? If 100%? Get ready to face a qb who was almost unstoppable. 

I think there's a strong chance Tua sucks in the NFL. A lot of champion Bama QBs have come before him and they've all sucked since Bart Starr.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

To be honest I never once said I was comparing Arians to Kitchens or Winston to Brady. That was entirely you. What I am comparing is two teams that both haven't been to the playoffs in over ten years both making flashy pickups and being predicted to do great things as a consequence. What they have In common is an exceedingly long period of terrible underachievement. That was what I was alluding to 

It's great that you're a Brady fanboy and that you think he's so great that they will not only reach the playoffs but make the big game. I can see how years of watching him obliterate an abysmal AFCE particularly the Bills would make you that much in awe of him but he may find that especially the Falcons and Saints won't just roll over for him.

Your stats are correct but it hasn't helped Tampa in the past. You're dead right that Brady won't throw as many interceptions but do you honestly think that he's going to be throwing bombs downfield like Winston?  He won't be playing with a lead against terrible offenses. He will be playing from behind against some of the most prolific teams in the league. Assuming that it will be business as usual for Brady is about as smart as assuming that they will make the Superbowl.

Anyway agree to disagree and time will tell.

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

To be honest I never once said I was comparing Arians to Kitchens or Winston to Brady. That was entirely you. What I am comparing is two teams that both haven't been to the playoffs in over ten years both making flashy pickups and being predicted to do great things as a consequence. What they have In common is an exceedingly long period of terrible underachievement. That was what I was alluding to 

It's great that you're a Brady fanboy and that you think he's so great that they will not only reach the playoffs but make the big game. I can see how years of watching him obliterate an abysmal AFCE particularly the Bills would make you that much in awe of him but he may find that especially the Falcons and Saints won't just roll over for him.

Your stats are correct but it hasn't helped Tampa in the past. You're dead right that Brady won't throw as many interceptions but do you honestly think that he's going to be throwing bombs downfield like Winston?  He won't be playing with a lead against terrible offenses. He will be playing from behind against some of the most prolific teams in the league. Assuming that it will be business as usual for Brady is about as smart as assuming that they will make the Superbowl.

Anyway agree to disagree and time will tell.

You did this while ignoring everything else about each team prior to the respective seasons.  So your comparison is doomed no matter what.  It doesn't matter what the Bucs did the previous 10 years.  "Most prolific teams in the league"?   Right...

And I'm not picking them to go to the SB, let alone win it (most see them "reach the playoffs", obviously), so you are veering even further off-point as you strain to make a point.  

There is no meaningful comparison between the Browns entering 2019 and the Bucs entering 2020.  Quit while you're behind.

10 hours ago, George C said:

Until Allen shows he can connect on all passes, which he has not, he will remain the issue. I’m not drinking the Kool-Aid until I see all of the passes..

Tua? If 100%? Get ready to face a qb who was almost unstoppable. 

So you aren't buying Allen unless he completes 100% of his passes? 

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You did this while ignoring everything else about each team prior to the respective seasons.  So your comparison is doomed no matter what.  It doesn't matter what the Bucs did the previous 10 years.  "Most prolific teams in the league"?   Right...

And I'm not picking them to go to the SB, let alone win it (most see them "reach the playoffs", obviously), so you are veering even further off-point as you strain to make a point.  

There is no meaningful comparison between the Browns entering 2019 and the Bucs entering 2020.  Quit while you're behind.

I love the way you highlight me agreeing that TB are perennial high scorers (which I never contested) to suggest that they have nothing in common.im not comparing QB, HC, coaching or stats. I'm comparing the lazy take on the Browns last year to what were seeing this year with TB.So let me put it in bold too.

They both haven't made the playoffs in over 10 years and are popular picks to not only end that but progress to the SB going into this season.

That and my prediction of how this will end is what I'm saying they have in common. I'm sorry that I have to spell it out to you. 

I will be sure to tag you to remind you when TB crash and burn.

Seoul, I’m not going to beat on you.  You’re saying the Bucs haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years.  You’re absolutely right.  The Bills didn’t make the playoffs in 17 years.  Did that keep them in 17 from making it, and again in 19, and most likely again in 20?  The Bucs increased their defense significantly last year in the second half of the year when Bowles defense started to take hold.  Their front 7 was good.  Their back end sucked in the beginning, but came on i the last half of the year.  Granted I keep up as I live here now, even though raised on South Park Ave.  Their offense was lacking only one thing.  A rushing game.  They just added Fournette.  People hate Brady, but he had no one around him.  He has basically the best weapons in the NFL Now between the WR’s, TE’s, and a RB.  The defense added another round of secondary with our son Winfield of a great CB for us.

Im not saying SB, but enough on the Tampa hating just because Brady beat us like a girl you asked out in high school five times and she kept saying no.  No doubt he can be a cry baby.  That doesn’t mean they are not going to have a good team.  You’ll se so no worries arguing about it.  

There is one thing for sure.  The Bills will contend with the Ravens, Chiefs, Steelers, and Titans in the playoffs.  After that who knows.

1 hour ago, iinii said:

And New England has had their foot on a lot of necks for a while now. 

That was really a reference to the dominance Brady held over the AFCE. It's not a given that he will be dominant in a new division. Like I said to Mr Weo wasn't going for apples to apples. Yes Arians is better than Kitchens but it's a low bar. Arians wasn't able to fix Winston. Don't agree about Brady. He represents the opposite of the deep ball game that Tampa have run. Brady will find himself under pressure to put points on the board without a great D to keep the other team in check. The Godwin connection will be great but he will be behind a shaky line and every game will be a dogfight in the NFC South. If things start going south  it will be fun watching Brady scowl on the sidelines.

10 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Seoul, I’m not going to beat on you.  You’re saying the Bucs haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years.  You’re absolutely right.  The Bills didn’t make the playoffs in 17 years.  Did that keep them in 17 from making it, and again in 19, and most likely again in 20?  The Bucs increased their defense significantly last year in the second half of the year when Bowles defense started to take hold.  Their front 7 was good.  Their back end sucked in the beginning, but came on i the last half of the year.  Granted I keep up as I live here now, even though raised on South Park Ave.  Their offense was lacking only one thing.  A rushing game.  They just added Fournette.  People hate Brady, but he had no one around him.  He has basically the best weapons in the NFL Now between the WR’s, TE’s, and a RB.  The defense added another round of secondary with our son Winfield of a great CB for us.

Im not saying SB, but enough on the Tampa hating just because Brady beat us like a girl you asked out in high school five times and she kept saying no.  No doubt he can be a cry baby.  That doesn’t mean they are not going to have a good team.  You’ll se so no worries arguing about it.  

There is one thing for sure.  The Bills will contend with the Ravens, Chiefs, Steelers, and Titans in the playoffs.  After that who knows.

Thanks MGK. I live in Carolina so I watch a lot of NFC south. I agree with you that these runs come to an end and it doesn't surprise me at all that Tampa fans feel optimistic- so they should 

I feel like my point here was misrepresented.   

Previous TB high scoring isn't a given to continue because Brady isn't a pure deep ball guy. If there's one thing we know it's that his bread and butter is that he's dink and dunk. Agree that Fournette will help their run game and balance. Ideal if they're ahead, a non factor if behind. But even if successful that in itself should lead to less points as they slow the game down. Their run D impressed me Via finally came good it will be interesting to see if he can sustain which he hasn't yet, but I don't see Shaq Barrett coming close to what he did last year. Their secondary is bad and their schedule will be tougher this year with higher expectations. I don't hate TB but I think it's too easy to join the dots and forget about the great rosters and sustained success of NO and ATL. Even CAR have dangerous individuals.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Is stability a useful quality when your organisation has underachieved for years? You're right that at that level they are nothing like the Browns but I really wasn't comparing organizational competency.

More the fact that they are serial disappointments who have made notable signings to add to some blue chip players already there. Just like the Browns last year they are being over hyped Their D is NOT solid. They had a guy who had a sensational once in a lifetime sack number. They were a top team against the run. But their pass D was among the worst. Bad enough to be nowhere near the playoffs despite record offensive output 

Now people are saying superbowl and that's a hell of an assumption.

As a bills fan I'm going to say yes to this one.

Their pass defense was among the worst? At what, starting field position? They had the most attempts against and still didn't do badly, especially when the stats are averaged in to the attempts. Seems like they could use a safety, but I don't know their team very well. We've seen the same thing here - if a team doesn't need to pass against you your pass d looks great, and the same can be said for the run d. What that D will be able to count on is a lot of rest and to be on the field closer to 900 snaps instead of over 1000.

If you think TB will flame out at 6-10 you might as well bet their games this year and make some real money.

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sustained success of ATL? They’ve been a disappointing team for 2 years in a row now. 

There’s no rule that you have to make the playoffs a few years first before going straight to the SB....

They had a horrific start then finished with a long winning streak that saved Quinn's job. 2017 they beat the Rams before falling narrowly to the SB winners. A year prior to that they were leading by 20 in the SB.  (Thanks Scott law for the fact check). They have been contenders in recent years.

It's true that TB can make the playoffs. But NO and ATL shouldn't be disrespected. CAR are more than capable of outscoring TB too. Just my opinion.

Edited by Seoulofstone

42 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

As a bills fan I'm going to say yes to this one.

This is an interesting one to me. You refer of course to McD and Beane and what we're beginning to see bear fruit at Buffalo.

So where I will agree with you is that stability is what every franchise should want. My question is would McB have been here if they hadn't achieved success on the field? 2 visits to playoffs in 3 years is what has given them legitimacy while they dismantled things. Even then I've seen people criticise them on these boards and pan them as incompetent for specific moves and shortcomings.

Having stability in a perennial loser should on the other hand be a red flag. Arians got his legitimacy from previous jobs that's why he was given more time.

The Interesting thing will be if they entirely remake their O to fit Brady. For me you don't just plug in Brady to this team without completely changing the way they play. That's the opposite of continuity 

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They’ve gone 7-9 two years in a row. 

You're right. I stand corrected.

Edited by Seoulofstone

Miami is a team on the rise right now. Yes, they are trotting out Ryan Fitzpatrick to start the season, but we all know he can win 6-7 games before the wheels fall off. By then, Tua could be ready to take over. They have what it takes to pull off a winning record, at least.

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

This is an interesting one to me. You refer of course to McD and Beane and what we're beginning to see bear fruit at Buffalo.

So where I will agree with you is that stability is what every franchise should want. My question is would McB have been here if they hadn't achieved success on the field? 2 visits to playoffs in 3 years is what has given them legitimacy while they dismantled things. Even then I've seen people criticise them on these boards and pan them as incompetent.

Having stability in a perennial loser should on the other hand be a red flag. Arians got his legitimacy from previous jobs that's why he was given more time.

The Interesting thing will be if they entirely remake their O to fit Brady. For me you don't just plug in Brady to this team without completely changing the way they play. That's the opposite of continuity 

According to reports I've read, they are merging their offenses. I'm guessing that Peyton Manning ran a lot of the stuff he was used to in Den and the same will apply here. 

As far as McBeane, they are here because of what they did with what they had. Not only can McDermott get his players to play above their talent level, but Beane can spot both pro and college talent. And as you said, that is while dismantling things. Really the only question now is if Josh will continue to improve enough (for me over the next two years) to move into the franchise qb floor. I will say McBeane have rolled out the red carpet for him and if he can't, I think they will be able to find someone else to do it.

With BA it's kind of funny that Brady is there, it's like a rebound girlfriend for him. Bastard Billy and Arians are opposite ends of the spectrum so it will be interesting how long that "new relationship" vibe will last, but with that talent Brady should be able to get more than a few wins this year. I don't know about a Super Bowl, but I think they should go deep into the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1