Milwaukee Bucks say they will forfeit playoff game tonight, then NBA postpones all games...

eball

it's like me going to Camden NJ or Wilmington DE, both probably 15-20 minute drives(concerts and tax free liquor in case you are asking why anyone in their right mind would go to those 2 armpits)

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

It is of note.  I took a quick look at the map because the talking points from media outlets are "drove from out of state", "crossed state lines".  The terms are evocative so immediately my spin meter went off.  Its language that while factual, wants to create an impression that he crossed the Alps to shoot people in a community he has no ties to.  Turns out he's rather local.  

9 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Awesome. So no black person should cooperate with police? Sounds like a plan for a solid decrease in the number of police shootings.

Do you people even think before you type?

Not what I said, as you know. I’m not black, but I can understand why blacks are wary of just cooperating and thinking everything will be fine. Those police who have abused their power have created this situation of mistrust.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I think there’s a difference between “no black person should cooperate” and “it’s a bit sheisty to tell black people to shut up and cooperate and there won’t be any issues” in response to one of these incidents

Well, it's kind of a binary situation. Cooperate or don't.

Can't half-ass cooperation, know what I mean?

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

As a black man with two bi-racial children, I have learned something very meaningful from this thread.  I now know several of you guys who are no longer getting an invite to the Hammersticks’ family Thanksgiving celebration.  Yeeeesh!!  

Some of y’all are very ugly human beings.  Makes me very sad, honestly. ??‍♂️

It is not good my friend. I like to say that the "Keep Buffalo a Secret" mural downtown is in reference to the huge portion of the metro area with, at best, "archaic" (I am being kind here) points of view. The region has done a good job of sweeping that under the rug, but largely it sucks, and is really very embarrassing for my home town. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

US police kill far more civilians annually than any other country, both by total and per capita.  An inconvenient truth, but one we need to confront.

I love this action by the NBA teams, as there is no way to misconstrue their message. Its clear as gin - change is required!

Where did you get this drivel- it is wrong and not even close to true. There are 13 countries with a rate that is 4 times our. 

there's a difference with not cooperating and allegedly aggressively continuing to go after someone/something in that van after being tased AND having his t-shirt firmly gripped by a police.

6 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Not what I said, as you know. I’m not black, but I can understand why blacks are wary of just cooperating and thinking everything will be fine. Those police who have abused their power have created this situation of mistrust.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Where did you get this drivel- it is wrong and not even close to true. There are 13 countries with a rate that is 4 times our. 

Here you go: https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2020/06/05/policekillings/

Look at Japan....two deaths a year!

Edited by TheElectricCompany

21 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

George Floyd was handcuffed and on the ground with a knee on his neck. He was killed. Why would any black man now trust the police enough to just cooperate, let them handcuff him, and be confident he’ll be “back on the street this morning” instead of in a body bag?

The man who killed Floyd is in jail and will stand trial for murder. I do not know a single person who condones chauvin or says he should not be tried. I truly believe that was a personal thing because it is hard to believe that two dudes working security don't know each other. But if I am playing the confidence game I am much more confident I am alive if I listen to cops then if I don't and comments like yours seem to exude confidence in your ignorance.

39 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

farts in the wind.

This isn't the Share Some Music thread.  You're lost.  If you want to share your love for Kansas, go post a video over there.  Thanks.

• Haha (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

How you have failed to miss @NoSaint's point entirely and still post cooperate or don't, in the context of this entire conversation is either bafflingly stupid, dangerously callous, or willfully ignorant. 

Comply or you might die is literally the entire problem here. It is why the US has more deaths and injuries at the hands of police officers than basically every other post industrialized nation in the world. Both by total and by per capita. I understand that is inconvenient for your insulated world view, but it does not make it any less true. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Here you go: https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2020/06/05/policekillings/

Look at Japan....TWO deaths a year!

So you pick a list that only counts the top ten countries of income per capita and then say " all countries"- you seem to feel that only white majority countries count along with Japan. 

14 hours ago, Rico said:

Exactly. “Yes sir, officer.” “No sir, officer.” Show respect, don’t show attitude.... don’t be a ***** idiot.

It’s really not very hard. Don’t get me wrong, there ARE bad cops out there, but often the trouble is created by a lack of cooperation. 

I read a book recently where the good guy cop tries to stop an bad guy. He realizes “oh no, he’s gonna be a runner”. After the long lumbering chase he catches the bad guy and asks him “why did you have to take off like that?” The criminal tells him “it’s my job to run, and it’s your job to catch me”.  I guess everyone is just trying to do their jobs? ?‍♂️ 

I started watching fear city on netflix and I believe Paul Castellano said something similar to an FBI agent

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s really not very hard. Don’t get me wrong, there ARE bad cops out there, but often the trouble is created by a lack of cooperation. 

I read a book recently where the good guy cop tries to stop an bad guy. He realizes “oh no, he’s gonna be a runner”. After the long lumbering chase he catches the bad guy and asks him “why did you have to take off like that?” The criminal tells him “it’s my job to run, and it’s your job to catch me”.  I guess everyone is just trying to do their jobs? ?‍♂️ 

50 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

So you pick a list that only counts the top ten countries of income per capita and then say " all countries"- you seem to feel that only white majority countries count along with Japan. 

Yes, this list is focused on the developed and wealthy countries. That makes it even more damning, but if you want to compare our rates to countries mired in civil war or rampant corruption, like Syria or Venezuela, be my guest.

With ~29% of the worlds wealth, we have the means to create immense change within the criminal justice system, yet our incarceration, recidivism  and "death by cop" rates are downright atrocious. We can do better.

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

George Floyd was handcuffed and on the ground with a knee on his neck. He was killed. Why would any black man now trust the police enough to just cooperate, let them handcuff him, and be confident he’ll be “back on the street this morning” instead of in a body bag?

George Floyd was another who made things far too hard on himself.  All you have to do is readily comply at the onset and let the body cams confirm your position in an arrest.  The cops kill a man who was complying every step of the way confirms their guilt if serious injury or death results.  It's no different for white people.  If I start physically resisting a cop or small group of cops then I can only expect them to increase their physical effort to restrain me.  If I reach into a part of  my vehicle that a cop cannot ascertain the contents of it I can only assume that the cop thinks I my be reaching for a deadly weapon.  As a matter of fact when pulled over for a small traffic infraction years ago I was going to produce my wallet to show my driver's license which was in a center console that was closed.  The cop instructed me NOT to open the console but rather exit my vehicle then he would check the console for my wallet.  I did not have tats, all kinds of exotic facial hair, or dress like a hoodlum.  Just an ordinary guy and the cop still took a course of caution.  Who knows?  Maybe if the wallet was maybe in my pants pocket the cop may have not been so concerned.  

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

George Floyd was another who made things far too hard on himself.  All you have to do is readily comply at the onset and let the body cams confirm your position in an arrest.  The cops kill a man who was complying every step of the way confirms their guilt if serious injury or death results.  It's no different for white people.  If I start physically resisting a cop or small group of cops then I can only expect them to increase their physical effort to restrain me.  If I reach into a part of  my vehicle that a cop cannot ascertain the contents of it I can only assume that the cop thinks I my be reaching for a deadly weapon.  As a matter of fact when pulled over for a small traffic infraction years ago I was going to produce my wallet to show my driver's license which was in a center console that was closed.  The cop instructed me NOT to open the console but rather exit my vehicle then he would check the console for my wallet.  I did not have tats, all kinds of exotic facial hair, or dress like a hoodlum.  Just an ordinary guy and the cop still took a course of caution.  Who knows?  Maybe if the wallet was maybe in my pants pocket the cop may have not been so concerned.  

I think a big part of this conversation is hinted at the back end of your post with your story. 

It was nice of the officer to ask you to get out of your car, and it was nice of you to agree. But you also consented to the search of your vehicle, something that you absolutely did not have to do. You would have been well within your rights to say no to that. A traffic stop does not provide reasonably suspicion. So now a normal person is in a position where they have to comply with an illegal request or risk an officer getting the jitters. Especially if they "have tats" or "all kinds of exotic facial hair". 

See how this situation gets sticky for the average person.... 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Is it really a binary proposition? Don’t cooperate/cooperate  = get shot/don’t get shot?

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Is it really a binary proposition? Don’t cooperate/cooperate  = get shot/don’t get shot?

It is.  The situation is far out of hand when the cop has his knee on your neck or discharges his weapon.  Show me the situation where a cop asks for ID and a split second later the person in question is violently thrown to the ground or is fired upon.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I'd say you've got a much better chance of surviving a police encounter by cooperating than not. Especially when guns are already drawn on you, you've been tazed, etc.

Whatever. I don't know what the NBA believes they will accomplish by this. Do the think a law enforcement officer will be concerned that the NBA may boycott games when faced with using deadly force against a black person? I can guarantee you a hell of a lot more important things will be going through their head than a stupid sports league.

Edited by Beast