Milwaukee Bucks say they will forfeit playoff game tonight, then NBA postpones all games...

eball

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/who-was-george-floyd-the-gentle-giant-who-loved-his-hugs-11997206

Plenty of people were exalting George Floyd, which does not exonerate cops, but this was first headline I found 

I suppose no one is always an overstatement.

No one here in these conversations was what I meant. And specifically was getting at idolizing behaving as they did. 

but yes, you brought an article with quotes from his friends and family talking positively about him while also acknowledging his checkered past in it.

crazy enough, few of these dead guys are simple pure devils and they, alongside bad choices, also make good ones and make some people happy.  I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone saying we should aspire to live life exactly like George lived his, even if you find some folks that have personal affection for him or that in push back against his demonization also try to share the other side of the human.

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I heard a story earlier this offseason and it was from a coach who was black. It may have been a Bills coach or an NBA guy or something. I don’t remember who it was. Obviously though he’s making a few hundred thousand dollars a year. He lives in a complex of sorts. He was talking about when he goes to throw his garbage at night he has to make sure that he doesn’t have a hoodie on to avoid getting harassed by cops/neighbors. That kind of blew my mind. That would never even cross my mind. My parents never told me how to react if I get pulled over, where to keep my hands, etc... That’s not a world that I’ve ever lived in. 

When people tell me White Privilege doesn’t exist, I ask them how old they were the first time their parent sat them down and explained to them how not to get shot by the police at a traffic stop. Or when the last time was that they legitimately feared for their life when being pulled over in a traffic stop. The answer to both is that they — like me and every other white person in America — never had that conversation, never had that fear that a traffic stop might be the end for them. Different worlds.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

You'll never get a good response to this. Perceived victimhood is not only an accepted reality, but a huge badge of honor to most of those challenged by critical thinking.

5 minutes ago, LB3 said:

You'll never get a good response to this. Perceived victimhood is not only an accepted reality, but a huge badge of honor to most of those challenged by critical thinking.

There's no response that would satisfy him. It's why posting video without having to explain your point of view isn't  considered productive dialogue.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

how broadly do you extend the right to shoot based on this video?

Or is it still a very high threshold that unfortunately comes with risk?

well it seems this situation was almost exactly as that one played out. Guy fought off taser and cops and went into the car.   You make the wrong call and you don’t go home and kids have one parent. 

37 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The black man who walked to his SUV and opened the door?  

not worthy of being shot 7 times

what else happened during the entire encounter?  Because he didn’t just open the door

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

skewing back on topic - Kenny Smith just walked off the inside the nba set in support.

will be interesting to see how the nba responds and how far this stretches into other sports as well as related fields 

Kenny needs to just keep doing his job, IMO. Talk about the players walking off, make the point. Support the case.  Should they just have dead air time? What If they ALL walk off?  He has the right to walk, 100%. Zero question. They should also have the right to terminate him for it. (Which they will NOT.) I’m ALL FOR the right to express your views, but you are on the clock.  Do your job. 

I’m ALL for equality. I’m also for reasonably making your case while doing your job. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Kenny needs to just keep doing his job, IMO. Talk about the players walking off, make the point. Support the case.  Should they just have dead air time? What If they ALL walk off?  He has the right to walk, 100%. Zero question. They should also have the right to terminate him for it. (Which they will NOT.) I’m ALL FOR the right to express your views, but you are on the clock.  Do your job. 

I’m ALL for equality. I’m also for reasonably making your case while doing your job. 

It's a pretty tall ask that someone reasonably 'make their case' while still doing their job, especially if (as I suspect) you've never been privy to the kind of helplessness one might feel under such circumstances.

13 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

well it seems this situation was almost exactly as that one played out. Guy fought off taser and cops and went into the car.   You make the wrong call and you don’t go home and kids have one parent. 

what else happened during the entire encounter?  Because he didn’t just open the door

that is what I saw.  

what imaginary weapon was he reaching for?

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's a pretty tall ask that someone reasonably 'make their case' while still doing their job, especially if (as I suspect) you've never been privy to the kind of helplessness one might feel under such circumstances.

Why? He abdicated his platform. He had a perfect opportunity to address the issue, but he walked away. I won’t judge him for it, but handling it differently might have been more beneficial to the worthy cause. I happen to see this differently. That’s OK for both of us, as I see it. No problems there. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Why? He abdicated his platform. He had a perfect opportunity to address the issue, but he walked away. I won’t judge him for it, but handling it differently might have been more beneficial to the worthy cause. I happen to see this differently. That’s OK for both of us, as I see it. No problems there. 

The kind of grace under pressure and eloquence you are suggesting a TV personality adopt, within the confines of his announcing gig, is at best unrealistic and at worst suggestive as evidenced by your initial musing on whether his actions should constitute a firing.

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

that is what I saw.  

what imaginary weapon was he reaching for?

do the cops know he doesn’t have a weapon?  After fighting off a taser and fighting the cops do you trust he doesn’t have a weapon in the car?  Or that he gets in the car and ends up killing the kids? Then you will criticize the cops for not shooting him after he harms others. No win situation.  

If you were that cop and after all that happened do you believe he doesn’t have a weapon? If he does you have a good chance of dying. What do you do?

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

how broadly do you extend the right to shoot based on this video?

Or is it still a very high threshold that unfortunately comes with risk?

I am all for police reform, but there is a point where they have to be able to shoot people. It is a job that involves a high degree of risk, they can't just accept a possibility of being killed as part of the job.

In this particular case they did exactly what they were supposed to. This is what the police are meant for. A man broke a restraining order against a woman he sexually assaulted. The police showed him to subdue him. He resisted arrest and fought back. Then when they held up their guns and told him to stop, he calmly walked to his car and reached into the door out of their sight. It's disingenuous to frame that scenario as "cops shot a man in the back." In many of these past cases the person they killed wasn't violent. Eric Garner was selling cigarettes on the street. George Floyd supposedly used a counterfeit bill. Here we have a man that was breaking a restraining order and fighting the police. If that isn't a reasonable time for the police to use lethal force, what is?

This is something I'm seeing on both sides of the argument - an inability to take each case on its own merits. George Floyd is not Jacob Blake, but both sides are lumping them together.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1