Milwaukee Bucks say they will forfeit playoff game tonight, then NBA postpones all games...

eball

1 hour ago, Logic said:

When people tell me White Privilege doesn’t exist, I ask them how old they were the first time their parent sat them down and explained to them how not to get shot by the police at a traffic stop. Or when the last time was that they legitimately feared for their life when being pulled over in a traffic stop. The answer to both is that they — like me and every other white person in America — never had that conversation, never had that fear that a traffic stop might be the end for them. Different worlds.

Your parents never had this conversation with you? My parents sat me down at 13 and told me some cops sucks and to do as I was told. I have friends who are cops and they have had this conversation with their kids, obey the cops and sue after if needed. There is something wrong with you if you don't tell your kids this when they become teens.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

Kenny needs to just keep doing his job, IMO. Talk about the players walking off, make the point. Support the case.  Should they just have dead air time? What If they ALL walk off?  He has the right to walk, 100%. Zero question. They should also have the right to terminate him for it. (Which they will NOT.) I’m ALL FOR the right to express your views, but you are on the clock.  Do your job. 

I’m ALL for equality. I’m also for reasonably making your case while doing your job. 

always curious to see your take when these pop up as I know you are pretty progressive on a lot of social issues and very empathetic but also a bit of the old school with things like the work place or order in general. 

I think we both have a hard time with “it ain’t right but I’m not sure that’s how you fix it” 

in this case Kenny has a stage and financial security that allows him the ability to make a statement. And coincidentally that statement does align with his current industry, so there’s some professional value to being an ally to the players. Honestly I don’t know him or his employer well enough to comment but it’s a hell of a moment playing out 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I am all for police reform, but there is a point where they have to be able to shoot people. It is a job that involves a high degree of risk, they can't just accept a possibility of being killed as part of the job.

In this particular case they did exactly what they were supposed to. This is what the police are meant for. A man broke a restraining order against a woman he sexually assaulted. The police showed him to subdue him. He resisted arrest and fought back. Then when they held up their guns and told him to stop, he calmly walked to his car and reached into the door out of their sight. It's disingenuous to frame that scenario as "cops shot a man in the back." In many of these past cases the person they killed wasn't violent. Eric Garner was selling cigarettes on the street. George Floyd supposedly used a counterfeit bill. Here we have a man that was breaking a restraining order and fighting the police. If that isn't a reasonable time for the police to use lethal force, what is?

This is something I'm seeing on both sides of the argument - an inability to take each case on its own merits. George Floyd is not Jacob Blake, but both sides are lumping them together.

I mean watching the video they follow him around the car as he slowly walks around it to get in it. If you're of the mind that if he gets into the car you're going to have to shoot him don't let him get in the car. I mean really are 3 officers really incapable of restraining 1 man?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

The kind of grace under pressure and eloquence you are suggesting a TV personality adopt, within the confines of his announcing gig, is at best unrealistic and at worst suggestive as evidenced by your initial musing on whether his actions should constitute a firing.

I feel he could have made more of a difference by staying on air and talking about it. Maybe he felt there was enough left behind that he was just sending a message. Fine, I can buy that.

This was not so new and shocking that he would lose his poise.  Don’t even suggest that, because it’s just silly. There was no “grace under fire” in the equation. This is sadly calm compared to recent events. It was a choice to support the players. Fine. I was NOT suggesting he should lose his job, but it’s something to possibly be put on notice. That should NOT happen in this environment, but I’m a guy who feels if you don’t DO your job, you should be concerned you might LOSE your job. He will NOT be sanctioned, but I’m a believer in employees doing their jobs. Simple concept. That’s just my opinion. I want people big enough to stay and do the job, which may help to advance the cause even further. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I am all for police reform, but there is a point where they have to be able to shoot people. It is a job that involves a high degree of risk, they can't just accept a possibility of being killed as part of the job.

In this particular case they did exactly what they were supposed to. This is what the police are meant for. A man broke a restraining order against a woman he sexually assaulted. The police showed him to subdue him. He resisted arrest and fought back. Then when they held up their guns and told him to stop, he calmly walked to his car and reached into the door out of their sight. It's disingenuous to frame that scenario as "cops shot a man in the back." In many of these past cases the person they killed wasn't violent. Eric Garner was selling cigarettes on the street. George Floyd supposedly used a counterfeit bill. Here we have a man that was breaking a restraining order and fighting the police. If that isn't a reasonable time for the police to use lethal force, what is?

This is something I'm seeing on both sides of the argument - an inability to take each case on its own merits. George Floyd is not Jacob Blake, but both sides are lumping them together.

I’ll point out that I did post earlier that I haven’t taken a firm position on Blake yet as it’s both still unfolding and before tonight I had been keeping a bit too busy to have a grasp on all the details. So much of my discussion has been very broad strokes intentionally.

that said, your wife cheats on you 10 times, how patient are you hearing out that #2 and #7 may be a misunderstanding? I don’t know your life but suspect you and I are blessed with this being an more abstract discussion for us than for some others who have to look the fear in the face. Not to overgeneralize but I get how some people could be tired of debating the nuance of each and every case and just be angry that there are so many cases in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So in essence, you sanction state sponsored executions of citizens without due process when circumstances as determined by the executioners deem it necessary.

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I feel he could have made more of a difference by staying on air and talking about it. Maybe he felt there was enough left behind that he was just sending a message. Fine, I can buy that.

This was not so new and shocking that he would lose his poise.  Don’t even suggest that, because it’s just silly. There was no “grace under fire” in the equation. This is sadly calm compared to recent events. It was a choice to support the players. Fine. I was NOT suggesting he should lose his job, but it’s something to possibly be put on notice. That should NOT happen in this environment, but I’m a guy who feels if you don’t DO your job, you should be concerned you might LOSE your job. He will NOT be sanctioned, but I’m a believer in employees doing their jobs. Simple concept. That’s just my opinion. I want people big enough to stay and do the job, which may help to advance the cause even further. 

Again: it's a very specific viewpoint that can argue another black person shot by law enforcement isn't shocking or cause to 'lose one's poise'.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

So in essence, you sanction state sponsored executions of citizens without due process when circumstances as determined by the executioners deem it necessary.

That's what the police do. Again, they confronted a violent criminal. I'd agree if he had been selling loose cigarettes. There are times where a police presence escalates things. This was not one of those times. They were trying to actually protect someone. I'm not really sure what the alternative is, everyone fend for themselves?

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Again: it's a very specific viewpoint that can argue another black person shot by law enforcement isn't shocking or cause to 'lose one's poise'.

I live in Atlanta. I happen to spend a couple hours a day, Monday thru Friday, at a park playing tennis where I’m usually the only white guy. We talk about this stuff. NOBODY is so messed up they can’t talk about it. They have a lot of different opinions, but they are ALL able to carry on the conversation. If you try to tell me he was too distraught to talk, I’m calling BS. It was a stance.  Period. 

The guys I play with have a firm rule: when the cops tell you to do something......you DO IT!  That will make things end up a lot better. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Your parents never had this conversation with you? My parents sat me down at 13 and told me some cops sucks and to do as I was told. I have friends who are cops and they have had this conversation with their kids, obey the cops and sue after if needed. There is something wrong with you if you don't tell your kids this when they become teens.

I would say very few kids are sat down and told 'How not to get shot by the cops'

But I bet most are sat down or told to respect them and follow what they are told to do if you are ever pulled over or questioned by them. The are also most likely taught not to resist arrest or fight back

I do wonder how many people who believe the police almost never should use their weapon stand on the 2nd amendment and the right to carry a gun?

I would imagine being a police officer in the US has to be harder then most other places with stricter gun laws where not everyone is carrying.

Its not that easy to try an subdue someone without lethal force when your worried about whether or not they have something on them or near them.

Your constantly thinking you have a split second to react to their movements or risk being hurt or killed

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I live in Atlanta. I happen to spend a couple hours a day, Monday thru Friday, at a park playing tennis where I’m usually the only white guy. We talk about this stuff. NOBODY is so messed up they can’t talk about it. They have a lot of different opinions, but they are ALL able to carry on the conversation. If you try to tell me he was too distraught to talk, I’m calling BS. It was a stance.  Period. 

I understand you’re not directly comparing your tennis audience to a national TV broadcast, but the idea that the two have any relation to each other in terms of impact or consequence for saying the wrong thing is totally ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's what the police do. Again, they confronted a violent criminal. I'd agree if he had been selling loose cigarettes. There are times where a police presence escalates things. This was not one of those times. They were trying to actually protect someone. I'm not really sure what the alternative is, everyone fend for themselves?

I reiterate my earlier position- let’s just kill all criminals indiscriminately. Starting with people who fail to signal switching lanes. Sound good?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I reiterate my earlier position- let’s just kill all criminals indiscriminately. Starting with people who fail to signal switching lanes. Sound good?

That's pretty far and away from what actually happened here. If a violent man that is resisting arrest reaches into his car while being held at gunpoint, I expect the police to shoot him. I don't know what else they should do.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's pretty far and away from what actually happened here. If a violent man that is resisting arrest reaches into his car whole being held at gunpoint, I expect the police to shoot him. I don't know what else they should do.

We’ll just leave it at your bar for what should necessitate the police shooting someone is a lot lower than mine. 

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I understand you’re not directly comparing your tennis audience to a national TV broadcast, but the idea that the two have any relation to each other in terms of impact or consequence for saying the wrong thing is totally ridiculous.

No. Your post is ridiculous.

Do what the cops tell you, and your odds of being shot almost disappear.

Hard to argue against that.  

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

No. Your post is ridiculous.

Do what the cops tell you, and your odds of being shot almost disappear.

Hard to argue against that.  

Lmao ok guy

Your contribution to this thread was that Kenny Smith should ‘do his job’ and my post is the ridiculous one. Terrific.

Edited by GoBills808
Cut off response
  • Like (+1) 1