Favorite Bills Season of the Past Decade

corta765

Good morning everyone it has been wayyyyy too long since I have posted. I have missed posting back and forth with everyone and I am happy to be back on a bit. This is a very odd season and if it makes sense I am excited in a melancholy type way knowing we probably won't see the team in person.

Anyway with us starting a new decade of domination!!!! I wanted to rank my favorite three seasons of this past decade and see what everyone else thought. I am sure 2017 and 2019 will be high for a lot of people but I am curious on the other spots. Without delay:

Honorable mention: 2011 Bills. Honestly I really loved this team and players and I have always wished this group of guys Fred, Fitz, Stevie etc.. would've broken the drought as they were a fun very likable bunch. The first half of the season was the most fun I had in a long time as a Bills fan its too bad injuries and some poor play doomed the end. Still the slaying of NE week 3 in the fashion they did will forever be amazing.

3. 2019 Bills - For me I put the 2019 Bills here which I am sure some will say "uh they were the best team we saw of the decade what are you doing". Well by 2019 the process was in full swing and the expectation was playoffs for me as the talent was there and the schedule was pretty open. It was a really fun season and the DAL/PIT primetime games were amazing and rewarding as fans. The next day after the Dallas win was soo much fun to see the national media's eyes open to the Bills and rip the Cowboys for getting blown out. The opening game against the Jets set a great tempo for the resolve of the team, of the season, and what would come. To me that was a sizable statement game for Allen given how he came back from mistakes both self inflicted and by his team.  Had they have beat Houston in the playoff game or NE week 16 to win the division this season would've went to #1 as we would be in new territory. But regardless this season had a lot of great moments and cemented the Bills as contenders finally again in the NFL. The only really bad game the entire season was against the Eagles which I swear would've went different if Allen wasn't strip sacked at the end of the half. By the way John Brown had a criminally underrated season and to me was the big thing outside of Allen's growth which pushed them over the edge on offense.

2. 2014 Bills- For nearly a decade and a half a shroud of darkness rained over the Bills on whether the team would stay in Buffalo. Ralph passes about a million other things happen in the offseason including Jim Kelly fighting off cancer and then the team is sold to the Pegula's... the Bills are staying. The sense of relief entering that season to finally just focus on football is something any Bills fan who lived through that time could tell you was amazing. Then week 1 was an all time great season opener capped by Freddie's OT run to win the game followed up by an amazing home opener when we beat Miami. It was a likable team with a great defense and for me I got to go to the Thursday Night Game against MIA which was cool despite the loss. It had been over a decade since the Bills had played any meaningful football by mid December let alone hosting the Packers who were at their peak with Rodgers. Yet somehow they pulled the upset and as a fan at this game the stadium was never louder then the sack/safety on Rodgers. While they did not make the playoffs I am a firm believer that the win of the Packers was a demarcation point in the team trending up and starting to become relevant again. The season also featured fun highlights like the Sammy game winning TD catch vs Min at the end, the win over the Lions in one of the weirdest games ever, or the game played in Detroit because Buffalo had snowmegadon.

1. 2017 Bills- I do not have much memories of the 90s Bills minus a touch of the Jags playoff loss at home for Kelly. I remember Flutie and the Music City Mircale I watched, but otherwise I was part of the generation of Bills fans which the drought was just that. The team wasn't just bad they were irrelevant finding new inventive ways to get worse when you didn't believe they could plus for a long time we didn't know if they would stay. 

With that as a backdrop this team just about everyone thought was playing for the top pick in the draft. I distinctly remember week 1 being billed as the 1-15 bowl between the Bills and Jets and the annual Bills party I host with 40-50 people was more of a joking affair about the team then belief they would do much. Things changed with the Falcons game, winning a game they never win and I remember thinking "ok so the coach maybe knows what he is doing". The defense went from being a sieve under Ryan despite the talent it had, to competent with flashes of greatness by guys like White, Hyde, Poyer, and Milano despite a roster that was in the process of turning over. I was at the Raiders game and blowing them out was a blast that was a non stop party because the team was 5-2 and probably not that good but who cared. I was front row for the Snowbowl which was a surreal game to be at. Make no mistake this wasn't even the 10th best team in Franchise history, they absolutely got lucky at points (thanks Von Miller), and looking at the offense in retrospect I hope people realize how good Shady was and how void of talent the offense was at skill positions. Yet week 17 and the Dalton TD is a day you can ask a Bills fan where they were or what they were doing when the drought died. That next week leading up to the Jags game was the single most fun I had as a Bills fan after a season that gave some rewarding moments. I had friends who weren't Bills fans happy we finally made it back to the dance and the national media in general seemed to finally acknowledge Bills fans and what we went through. Yea the Jags game sucked and was not exciting, but it still happened which was cool.

• Like (+1) 3

2011.  Started like a dream ended in a typical mediocre bills season.

We started out 2-0 and meet the mighty Patriots and quickly we were down 21-0.  But Fitzmagic was on and we stormed back causing multiple Brady ints and win in on a last second field goal.  We FINALLY broke New England's winning streak and were were on top of the Division, havent been there since if i recall correctly.  That was the best game I have seen with the Bills since the Kelly era. That one game made the entire season for me.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2

For obvious reasons 2017, and 19, but 2004 at least we had hope.  I know we lost with our starters to the Steelers back ups, but our O Line as Ross Tucker has said more than once, they were down to scrubs off the streets as everyone was hurt.  If we just could have beaten them, who knows.  Maybe Mularkey could have rolled with Bledsoe, and had more time vs. the debacle that ensued.  I don’t hate Mularkey like a lot of older guys here.  He pulled off a slew of wins that season after starting 0-3.

Bottom line is we have the potential for a head coach and GM to not only with McD through 2025, but alsoBeane coming soon the same thing.  Then I’m dreaming now, but we extend another five years and the gang is together a minimum of 13 years and growing.  As MLK said and yes a bad reference, that we keep these two here for the next 17 years and are a perennial playoff team.  

Gotta be 2017 and breaking the drought. My greatest "Bills" memory (since I'm a young guy) is the 4th and 12 pass from Dalton. Ironic it wasn't even a Bills game, but that was so epic.

And then the other two would be the other two McDermott years. Even 2018 was good to watch because you knew the Bills were building something special and finally had a real QB to work with. That Vikings game was so awesome.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

2014 was solid, in part, because of Kyle Orton, and also, in part, because no more Toronto games!!!

I was too hung up on disliking Marrone. It was clear to me the team would never go anywhere under him.

But that defensive line was fun to watch. Mario, Kyle, Hughes, and Dareus.

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

Good morning everyone it has been wayyyyy too long since I have posted. I have missed posting back and forth with everyone and I am happy to be back on a bit. This is a very odd season and if it makes sense I am excited in a melancholy type way knowing we probably won't see the team in person.

Anyway with us starting a new decade of domination!!!! I wanted to rank my favorite three seasons of this past decade and see what everyone else thought. I am sure 2017 and 2019 will be high for a lot of people but I am curious on the other spots. Without delay:

Honorable mention: 2011 Bills. Honestly I really loved this team and players and I have always wished this group of guys Fred, Fitz, Stevie etc.. would've broken the drought as they were a fun very likable bunch. The first half of the season was the most fun I had in a long time as a Bills fan its too bad injuries and some poor play doomed the end. Still the slaying of NE week 3 in the fashion they did will forever be amazing.

3. 2019 Bills - For me I put the 2019 Bills here which I am sure some will say "uh they were the best team we saw of the decade what are you doing". Well by 2019 the process was in full swing and the expectation was playoffs for me as the talent was there and the schedule was pretty open. It was a really fun season and the DAL/PIT primetime games were amazing and rewarding as fans. The next day after the Dallas win was soo much fun to see the national media's eyes open to the Bills and rip the Cowboys for getting blown out. The opening game against the Jets set a great tempo for the resolve of the team, of the season, and what would come. To me that was a sizable statement game for Allen given how he came back from mistakes both self inflicted and by his team.  Had they have beat Houston in the playoff game or NE week 16 to win the division this season would've went to #1 as we would be in new territory. But regardless this season had a lot of great moments and cemented the Bills as contenders finally again in the NFL. The only really bad game the entire season was against the Eagles which I swear would've went different if Allen wasn't strip sacked at the end of the half. By the way John Brown had a criminally underrated season and to me was the big thing outside of Allen's growth which pushed them over the edge on offense.

2. 2014 Bills- For nearly a decade and a half a shroud of darkness rained over the Bills on whether the team would stay in Buffalo. Ralph passes about a million other things happen in the offseason including Jim Kelly fighting off cancer and then the team is sold to the Pegula's... the Bills are staying. The sense of relief entering that season to finally just focus on football is something any Bills fan who lived through that time could tell you was amazing. Then week 1 was an all time great season opener capped by Freddie's OT run to win the game followed up by an amazing home opener when we beat Miami. It was a likable team with a great defense and for me I got to go to the Thursday Night Game against MIA which was cool despite the loss. It had been over a decade since the Bills had played any meaningful football by mid December let alone hosting the Packers who were at their peak with Rodgers. Yet somehow they pulled the upset and as a fan at this game the stadium was never louder then the sack/safety on Rodgers. While they did not make the playoffs I am a firm believer that the win of the Packers was a demarcation point in the team trending up and starting to become relevant again. The season also featured fun highlights like the Sammy game winning TD catch vs Min at the end, the win over the Lions in one of the weirdest games ever, or the game played in Detroit because Buffalo had snowmegadon.

1. 2017 Bills- I do not have much memories of the 90s Bills minus a touch of the Jags playoff loss at home for Kelly. I remember Flutie and the Music City Mircale I watched, but otherwise I was part of the generation of Bills fans which the drought was just that. The team wasn't just bad they were irrelevant finding new inventive ways to get worse when you didn't believe they could plus for a long time we didn't know if they would stay. 

With that as a backdrop this team just about everyone thought was playing for the top pick in the draft. I distinctly remember week 1 being billed as the 1-15 bowl between the Bills and Jets and the annual Bills party I host with 40-50 people was more of a joking affair about the team then belief they would do much. Things changed with the Falcons game, winning a game they never win and I remember thinking "ok so the coach maybe knows what he is doing". The defense went from being a sieve under Ryan despite the talent it had, to competent with flashes of greatness by guys like White, Hyde, Poyer, and Milano despite a roster that was in the process of turning over. I was at the Raiders game and blowing them out was a blast that was a non stop party because the team was 5-2 and probably not that good but who cared. I was front row for the Snowbowl which was a surreal game to be at. Make no mistake this wasn't even the 10th best team in Franchise history, they absolutely got lucky at points (thanks Von Miller), and looking at the offense in retrospect I hope people realize how good Shady was and how void of talent the offense was at skill positions. Yet week 17 and the Dalton TD is a day you can ask a Bills fan where they were or what they were doing when the drought died. That next week leading up to the Jags game was the single most fun I had as a Bills fan after a season that gave some rewarding moments. I had friends who weren't Bills fans happy we finally made it back to the dance and the national media in general seemed to finally acknowledge Bills fans and what we went through. Yea the Jags game sucked and was not exciting, but it still happened which was cool.

I have the same top 3 and 2011 as my honourable 4th place. Good job.

2017 is #1, easily.  I'm not ashamed to admit I got some sort of irritant in my eyes when Cinci beat Baltimore.

2011 started with such promise but flamed out and can't make this list.

2014 was so weird.  Lots of ups and downs, but coming off the Green Bay win to lose to the 3-13 Raiders ruined that season for me.

2018 is #2 simply because it was the beginning of Josh, and by the end of the season you could see his potential.

2019 is #3.  An imperfect but talented team that beat who they were supposed to, had some great primetime performances, and set us up for the future.

1 minute ago, eball said:

2017 is #1, easily.  I'm not ashamed to admit I got some sort of irritant in my eyes when Cinci beat Baltimore.

2014 was so weird.  Lots of ups and downs, but coming off the Green Bay win to lose to the 3-13 Raiders ruined that season for me.

2018 is #2 simply because it was the beginning of Josh, and by the end of the season you could see his potential.

2019 is #3.  An imperfect but talented team that beat who they were supposed to, had some great primetime performances, and set us up for the future.

2018 and 2019 for the same reason eball

Josh Allen...

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, eball said:

Interesting. I hated 2018. I understood we needed to go through it and I wasn't anti that (except for the crazy decision to start Peterman twice) but that is the least competitive Bills team since 2010. We had the doors blown off us by an average Baltimore, an average Chargers team, an average Colts, an average Packers and an average Bears. Now you may well say "But Gunner four of those teams made the playoffs", and yes, they did. But none of them had a hope in hell of winning the Superbowl and yet they looked all worldly against us. I can take the losing. I really can. We have had enough of it. But the lack of competitiveness in those games I did not enjoy one bit. 

I love the 2017 and 2014 seasons because I think they are the two most competitive Bills sides I have seen in that they scrapped and fought for everything. Did both have some real letdown performances? Yep. But man those two teams fought for every inch. The 2019 was the most professional of the decade and best combination of talent and coaching. It had some real fun moments - the Dallas game, thrashing the Dolphins, sealing the deal in Pittsburgh. 

Edited by GunnerBill

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting. I hated 2018. I understood we needed to go through it and I wasn't anti that (except for the crazy decision to start Peterman twice) but that is the least competitive Bills team since 2010. We had the doors blown off us by an average Baltimore, an average Chargers team, an average Colts, an average Packers and an average Bears. Now you may well say "But Gunner four of those teams made the playoffs", and yes, they did. But none of them had a hope in hell of winning the Superbowl and yet they looked all worldly against us. I can take the losing. I really can. We have had enough of it. But the lack of competitiveness in those games I did not enjoy one bit. 

I love the 2017 and 2014 seasons because I think they are the two most competitive Bills sides I have seen in that they scrapped and fought for everything. Did both have some real letdown performances? Yep. But man those two teams fought for every inch. The 2019 was the most professional of the decade and best combination of talent and coaching. It had some real fun moments - the Dallas game, thrashing the Dolphins, sealing the deal in Pittsburgh. 

I didn't watch the 2018 games when Josh was hurt.  Seriously.  I knew they stunk and the only thing I wanted to see was the rookie QB.  The end of that season was awesome.

1. 2017. That ridiculous, preposterous roller coaster of a season. The inexplicable switch to Nathan Peterman as we were in the thick of the playoff race, and the laugh out loud results of that. The switch back to Tyrod until they have to go back to Peterman in the Foot of Snow Game. That game all by itself (Peterman was kinda good until he got hurt!), incredibly boring but fascinating at the same time, and with a jaw dropping ending with the Joe Webb play. The season that went on after it ended as we watched Andy Dalton usher into the the playoffs for the first time in two decades. I don't know if I've seen a more fun season for any team ever. 

2. 2014. Also in a Billsy (well, what we used to mean by "Billsy") way. The switch from EJ (2-2 at the time) to out-of-retirement Orton. And it worked! Sammy looking like the guy we sold the farm to get. Until it didn't work, with Orton giving up on that last play. Also good stupid fun. And another season that kept going after it was over with the shock departure of Marrone. You couldn't beat it. Until 2017 that is.

3. 2019. The best team we've had? Probably. Not the most interesting, but watching your team win never gets boring.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

2014 was solid, in part, because of Kyle Orton, and also, in part, because no more Toronto games!!!

I'm with you.

Loved the Orton signing and his play.  I will state that Orton and Bledsoe are the only real NFL qbs we have had since Jimbo.  JA is showing signs, fortunately.

Orton understood that his sole function was to deliver the ball to playmakers.  The polar opposite of Tyrod.  Orton was good at it.  (unfortunately, his sole mission was to get one last feather for his retirement nest.  Never even considered staying, methinks)

I would almost go so far as to say Orton > Fitz.  Fitz is not a real NFL qb.  He is probably the greatest backup qb of all time.  The closest you can possibly be to being a real NFL qb without actually crossing over.   Fitz > Andy Dalton, for example. 

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I'm with you.

Loved the Orton signing and his play.  I will state that Orton and Bledsoe are the only real NFL qbs we have had since Jimbo.  JA is showing signs, fortunately.

Orton understood that his sole function was to deliver the ball to playmakers.  The polar opposite of Tyrod.  Orton was good at it.  (unfortunately, his sole mission was to get one last feather for his retirement nest.  Never even considered staying, methinks)

I would almost go so far as to say Orton > Fitz.  Fitz is not a real NFL qb.  He is probably the greatest backup qb of all time.  The closest you can possibly be to being a real NFL qb without actually crossing over.   Fitz > Andy Dalton, for example. 

i just remember that that offense just seemed to flow well with Orton back there. He was chucking 300 yard games and we were scoring points and winning. We beat New England and finished 9-7. He threw for like 3000 yards in 12 games. For all the crappy years we had, that was a pretty decent one.