Favorite Bills Season of the Past Decade

corta765

5 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I'm with you.

Loved the Orton signing and his play.  I will state that Orton and Bledsoe are the only real NFL qbs we have had since Jimbo.  JA is showing signs, fortunately.

Orton understood that his sole function was to deliver the ball to playmakers.  The polar opposite of Tyrod.  Orton was good at it.  (unfortunately, his sole mission was to get one last feather for his retirement nest.  Never even considered staying, methinks)

I would almost go so far as to say Orton > Fitz.  Fitz is not a real NFL qb.  He is probably the greatest backup qb of all time.  The closest you can possibly be to being a real NFL qb without actually crossing over.   Fitz > Andy Dalton, for example. 

Fitz > Orton and it ain't even close.

1- 2014 - That offense sucked but that defense was filthy, the fact that this was the first winning Bills season (and a year where they were in playoff contention until the final week) in a decade along with having a great year personally and in fantasy football that season made things really enjoyable. 

2- 2017 - The hot start followed by the mid-season losing streak and then winning the last 3 out of 4 games to barely squeak into the playoffs was insane. The drought ending however weird and "soft" it ended was such a special moment. Such a roller coaster of a season. 

3- 2019 - A strong start and never really any faltering outside of the Eagles game. From wire to wire this one was a solid season. Top rated defense, exciting young QB and a team that was build well. It was definitely the best on field season of the past 20 years but the emotional highs and lows along with personal resonance weren't there. 

2014 shoulda been the start of something in Buffalo. Sadly we then wasted two years on the worst head coach of my fandom. But maybe without him we don't end up with the best head coach of my fandom..... so those of you who believe in God or fate would probably say things happen for a reason. 

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

My least favorite season is the one coming up.

.....covid and/or player protests likely cinch it.

Can we stop with the $&@# player “protest” affecting the game...some dude taking a knee affects watching a game ZERO. Just turn it on after the first 5 minutes if you don’t like it.    Does every third person on this site try to steer football toward politics WTF. 

10 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Can we stop with the $&@# player “protest” affecting the game...some dude taking a knee affects watching a game ZERO. Just turn it on after the first 5 minutes if you don’t like it.    Does every third person on this site try to steer football toward politics WTF. 

I was talking about if they pull stuff like the NBA and boycott games.

Maybe you're okay with that.

Edited by I am the egg man

Personally, and I mentioned this in the unpopular opinion thread, I put 2019 ahead of 2017.  I get it, 2017 was the year that broke the drought, but in 2019 the Bills actually won it for themselves instead of relying on another team's miraculous play.  You could just tell in 2019 the Bills weren't just a team barely getting in, but one of the actual better teams in the league.

As for my favorite non playoff season, I guess I'd say 2014.  That defense was legit.  Took down Aaron Rodgers in one of his statistically best seasons.  Bills even beat NE even if it was in the last week of the season when NE didn't have anything to play for.

7 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

All the NBA players are in it for themselves though, and they are all angry from being in the bubble for so long.

The NFL seems much more team oriented and the players buy into that more.

I'm not sure how boycotting games or practice helps anything. Are the police going to stop shooting people because they want to see LeBron James play? They should focus their efforts off the field / court by donating time, resources, and money to causes and organizations that actually help.

Edited by MJS

19 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

i just remember that that offense just seemed to flow well with Orton back there. He was chucking 300 yard games and we were scoring points and winning. We beat New England and finished 9-7. He threw for like 3000 yards in 12 games. For all the crappy years we had, that was a pretty decent one. 

yeah.  That's why I picked the Orton year.

I just remember going into every game thinking we genuinely have a chance, without having to coach myself up.

I remember watching the Orton offense and thinking "oh, now I remember when my team actually makes offense look not difficult."  It is NOT hard to win in this league, mr. Jauron.

That's why I also stated up-thread that Orton > Fitz.  Win or lose, i was always fully drained after watching Fitz play.  Orton played like a real qb.  This ball needs to go out, on time, to the playmakers.  Every time.  Rinse, repeat.

Edited by maddenboy

I’m not big on the 2014 season like many others. I mostly remember it for being the season that ended EJ Manuel’s career, and a team that played terribly against Oakland and Denver, with a QB (Orton) who looked mentally ready for retirement the last few weeks. I’m strangely grateful for the Ryan years that followed. I think we needed a complete restructuring of the organization for a coach to succeed, and that didn’t happen until McDermott and Beane came in.

I wasn’t a Whaley fan, Russ Brandon still was around, and the franchise was a total mess. Whaley was terrible in the draft, and the FO was a bit unstructured. This wasn’t a place where a young upcoming coach was going to succeed in 2015 imo. We wasted those years on a guy who isn’t going to succeed elsewhere with Ryan. McDermott and Beane were able to bring structure and focus into this franchise, and now have the power they need to succeed. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Yes. fully agree with you on that. It’s unnecessary.

I was referring to the whole constant complaining about the NFL in this forum in general about kneeling.

As Jerry Hughes eloquently said In today’s Presser “to all those that are vocal about us taking a knee during the anthem,  I wish they would hold that national anthem and that flag to the core values that it is supposed to be representing.”  

To me I think black men are saying I am kneeling before the anthem asking for people to notice me and do something about why I am not treated the same. It a powerful reminder that they are not treated equally. It is not a FU to America. It’s a please help us America.

We are all supposed to be treated the same here, but it is obvious we are not, even when the bias is not planned. As Jerry said, the moment he drives away, he is just another 6 ft 2 black man that may fit a description of someone the police may be looking for. Go rewatch the initial Ed Oliver interview this year and you can see know nervous he was about his summer police encounter.

I feel amazing apathy for parents of black children who have to worry about their kids in a routine traffic stop. I never worried about my kids getting shot in one. But they have to. It’s truly sad.

Maybe kneeling doesn’t make people comfortable, I get it. But let’s face it, if they meant to truly show disrespect to the flag, they would be turning their back to it. Try aren’t doing that. 

17 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m not big on the 2014 season like many others. I mostly remember it for being the season that ended EJ Manuel’s career, and a team that played terribly against Oakland and Denver, with a QB (Orton) who looked mentally ready for retirement the last few weeks. I’m strangely grateful for the Ryan years that followed. I think we needed a complete restructuring of the organization for a coach to succeed, and that didn’t happen until McDermott and Beane came in.

I wasn’t a Whaley fan, Russ Brandon still was around, and the franchise was a total mess. Whaley was terrible in the draft, and the FO was a bit unstructured. This wasn’t a place where a young upcoming coach was going to succeed in 2015 imo. We wasted those years on a guy who isn’t going to succeed elsewhere with Ryan. McDermott and Beane were able to bring structure and focus into this franchise, and now have the power they need to succeed. 

Really really strong, well thought out, and unique point. 

The Bills of 2013-16 was a period we’re talent existed but either the wrong piece was there at the wrong time whether it was coach or QB. IMO had Tyrod been QB in 13 or 14 they make the playoffs just because he could do enough which was really what the defense needed was an offense that could move the ball a bit and not turn it over. Come 2015 the offense finally had weapons. I believe in 2015 they finished 10th in pts scored.. but Rex wrecked the defense which went from top 10 two years in a row to below average. Similar thing in 2016. By 2017 some of the talent on defense was starting to age or bad contract ie Marcell, the younger cornerstones like Sammy or Gilmore wanted too much to stay, and in general the smartest move was a clean sweep like you said.

The best regimes in football everything moves fluidly on how the roster is built and the purpose of that direction. By 2011 the Bills started hitting again on draft picks to have a core but nothing was in synch. The greatest strength the Bills have is how well they have built a cohesive unit that now allows for splashes in FA or trading a draft pick if needed. For a long while we kept playing catch-up or getting bandages to jump along.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/26/2020 at 4:03 PM, MJS said:

I was too hung up on disliking Marrone. It was clear to me the team would never go anywhere under him.

But that defensive line was fun to watch. Mario, Kyle, Hughes, and Dareus.

Probably the best in the NFL that season.