[Misleading Title] Mr Negativity

WIDE LEFT

15 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Don't look now but we are dang close to this.  Without getting this virus under control few of us can hope for a return to normal.  Sure you haven't had a loved one pass from this but many others have....try like almost 180 thousand others have.  Don't trivialize death because it hasn't affected you.  Not saying the shutdown is the answer but opening up  like no tomorrow definitely is NOT the answer.....I'm in FL seeing firsthand how poor planning had lead to a crapstorm.....it will take even longer for things to get to normal and most likely never will due to the idiots who don't take it seriously.

FL handled it fine, unlike NY.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Uhhhhh....sure.  Glad u think so.  SO hoping this is sarcasm......

48 deaths per 100,000 v. 169 deaths per 100,000

I don't know the exact figure, but Florida's mortality rate is between 1-2%, and New York's was like 5-6%. 

There is no debating Florida did significantly better than New York. 

1 hour ago, WIDE LEFT said:

That noted virologist, Vic Carucci, is at it again -  in pure panic mode. It was Carucci several months back complaining that the NFL should not go forward with the scheduled free agency period because of the virus. Good thing all ignored that genius piece of advice. This morning he is all concerned about how positive tests could affect the regular season,  because a key player could miss a big game because of a positive test. Hey Vic, key players miss big games all the time, because of injury. Nothing unique here. In fact, you may recall Bruce Smith missed a PLAYOFF game because of, oh don’t panic Vic, the FLU. 

Someone needs to sit good old Vic down and explain that this is not Ebola. The risk of death to the age group these players fall into is virtually zero. That applies to their children as well.  In fact, for those age groups the flu is statistically more concerning. The five Bills players who reported to camp and tested positive were completely unaware they had even been infected. So take a deep breath Vic, relax a bit, this is not the Black Death revisited. Stick to subjects that u have at least a little knowledge of. 

Injuries aren’t contagious.

Asymptomatic positive require quarantine (that means missed games).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Another resident scientist starting ANOTHER COVID THREAD!!!!  I love how people start threads about Covid complaining about how the world is wrong about the pandemic...but THEY have it ALLLLL figured out lol.  Classic.

How many Trump stickers do you think he has on his truck?

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

FL handled it fine, unlike NY.

Yup, it was a media hack job...

Smh, I'm in fort lauderdale, and would say we should have a tbd meetup at packys once this all clears out, but we're moving to Raleigh NC in a few weeks...the way this was handled knowing we were heading into hurricane season, yeah I'm good.

I totally get the lack of sales and tourist tax revenue in a state with no income tax is going to cause huge issues, it's a huge issue. They need to be honest and ask for help, not knowingly mislead while manipulating data to prevent having to ask for help and damage a narrative that only certain states need help because they're "mismanaged" simply because of the letter of the political party with no actual discussion and honest analysis of how the specific policies have caused issues.

Like the nfl isn't saying everything is totally fine, so we're opening. They're saying things aren't fine, but we'll be in insane financial problems if we don't play and we're taking these specific precautions to mitigate, while giving the players facts and ultimately giving them options (wow, maybe they learned from the concussion stuff). What's happened in Florida with the data manipulation and the twisting of facts to support a specific narrative is really scary.

Plus, and up there as the biggest thing, Raleigh is a 10 hour drive to Rochester and Albany (can be done in one shot) vs 22 hours from south florida, and we're not going to fly until this settles so not seeing family for two years is a bit much.

Especially with a 3 y/o and 8 month old that we've been literally raising ourselves without a break for even 5 minutes for the last five months...we have it pretty damn good all things being said, but I'm now ordering things from Lowe's curb side pickup so I can go sit in a parking lot by myself for a tiny bit. My in laws are coming to stay for a couple weeks once we get up there and everyone tested, and I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to that.

Edited by HardyBoy

2 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

That noted virologist, Vic Carucci, is at it again -  in pure panic mode. It was Carucci several months back complaining that the NFL should not go forward with the scheduled free agency period because of the virus. Good thing all ignored that genius piece of advice. This morning he is all concerned about how positive tests could affect the regular season,  because a key player could miss a big game because of a positive test. Hey Vic, key players miss big games all the time, because of injury. Nothing unique here. In fact, you may recall Bruce Smith missed a PLAYOFF game because of, oh don’t panic Vic, the FLU. 

Someone needs to sit good old Vic down and explain that this is not Ebola. The risk of death to the age group these players fall into is virtually zero. That applies to their children as well.  In fact, for those age groups the flu is statistically more concerning. The five Bills players who reported to camp and tested positive were completely unaware they had even been infected. So take a deep breath Vic, relax a bit, this is not the Black Death revisited. Stick to subjects that u have at least a little knowledge of. 

FYI:  My friends husband died in June from COVID.  In his 30’s, in good shape, no prior medical conditions and had no high risk factors.

So yeah, you’re wrong about pretty much everything you just said.  So there’s that.  

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Another resident scientist starting ANOTHER COVID THREAD!!!!  I love how people start threads about Covid complaining about how the world is wrong about the pandemic...but THEY have it ALLLLL figured out lol.  Classic.

I missed that part where the OP said the "world is wrong." I wasn't sure that the whole world was in agreement on covid19. Is it really? Please fill me in, I feel so left out!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I missed that part where the OP said the "world is wrong." I wasn't sure that the whole world was in agreement on covid19. Is it really? Please fill me in, I feel so left out!

I think he was referring to the basketball player and noted virologist World B. Free. he was just saying Mr. Free was wrong .. not the whole world .. that would just be silly :0.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

What if a player gets sick though and the entire team gets it? Not saying it’ll happen but it could.. corona is a nasty virus but the whole entire world shouldn’t stop because of it.. players had their chance to opt out and some did.. but if we keep shutting things down to save .01% of the population it’s going to wreck our economy.. how long until we enter a situation like the Great Depression?... 

Do you even know what .01% of the population is?  That is 33,129 people.  The recorded number of dead is now nearly 6 times that, and once the CDC revises those numbers based on excess fatality data (as they do when calculating seasonal flu deaths), it will be at least 7 times.  And that occurred almost completely outside of flu season over just 5 months, and with some pretty draconian measures in place!!  Wait until October, when the real second wave hits during actual flu season.  I hope that I'm wrong about that.  But predicted that we would be at 200,000 dead by the beginning flu season, and I don't have any doubt now that we will be.

While it is impossible to determine how many would have died had we just ignored it and let it sweep over the country like the narcissist in the White House wanted to do, I have no doubt but that it would be at least double the number we have so far.  This can be seen easily by comparing the first wave, which had to be tamped down by a full blown shutdown, and what happened when certain states couldn't wait to reopen and prove it was all unnecessary, only to see the death rate rush right back up to over a thousand a day in a matter of weeks.  It can also be seen from the numbers in Europe and Asia, which have remained low and relatively under control since the initial wave. 

There should be little doubt that, had there been intelligent and unifying leadership from the top at the outset, we could have been far more prepared.  Accurate testing and contact tracing could have been implemented far earlier by which to identify hot spots quickly that could have been tamped down more locally instead of shutting down the whole damned economy.  The economic impact of this thing could have and should have been at least minimized while saving even more lives than already have been.

I hope that we get lucky, and this thing mutates to a far less virulent strain heading into winter.  But I'm not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBob said:

Do you even know what .01% of the population is?  That is 33,129 people.  The recorded number of dead is now nearly 6 times that, and once the CDC revises those numbers based on excess fatality data (as they do when calculating seasonal flu deaths), it will be at least 7 times.  And that occurred almost completely outside of flu season over just 5 months, and with some pretty draconian measures in place!!  Wait until October, when the real second wave hits during actual flu season.  I hope that I'm wrong about that.  But predicted that we would be at 200,000 dead by the beginning flu season, and I don't have any doubt now that we will be.

While it is impossible to determine how many would have died had we just ignored it and let it sweep over the country like the narcissist in the White House wanted to do, I have no doubt but that it would be at least double the number we have so far.  This can be seen easily by comparing the first wave, which had to be tamped down by a full blown shutdown, and what happened when certain states couldn't wait to reopen and prove it was all unnecessary, only to see the death rate rush right back up to over a thousand a day in a matter of weeks.  It can also be seen from the numbers in Europe and Asia, which have remained low and relatively under control since the initial wave. 

There should be little doubt that, had there been intelligent and unifying leadership from the top at the outset, we could have been far more prepared.  Accurate testing and contact tracing could have been implemented far earlier by which to identify hot spots quickly that could have been tamped down more locally instead of shutting down the whole damned economy.  The economic impact of this thing could have and should have been at least minimized while saving even more lives than already have been.

I hope that we get lucky, and this thing mutates to a far less virulent strain heading into winter.  But I'm not holding my breath.

How many of these deaths were due to what happened in NY nursing homes? How many deaths were falsely attributed to covid19?

These might be good questions to ask the dementia patient running for president, or even his degenerate thief kid.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

How many of these deaths were due to what happened in NY nursing homes? How many deaths were falsely attributed to covid19?

These might be good questions to ask the dementia patient running for president, or even his degenerate thief kid.

I’m not the biggest fan of Trump but this seems over the line. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not the biggest fan of Trump but this seems over the line. 

Over what line? The poster said that the president "ignored" covid.

When he closed down travel from China he was called names for doing so. I guess that doesn't count.

• Haha (+1) 1

It definitely is a concern. What's the protocol if a player does indeed test positive? Do all the guys in his position group that he shares a meeting room with have to go sit out for two weeks? I mean, could you imagine something like, "Dion Dawkins tests positive for the rona, had been in close contact with every single OL and OL coach on the team" so does that mean he and all 15 other OL (yeah, yeah, I know it'll be 7 or 8 for the regular season, I'm speaking in generalities and currently there are like 15 OL in camp) have to go quarantine for two weeks? What are they gonna do, scoop up some dudes off the street, slap some pads and a helmet on them and say, "Go block Aaron Donald, fella!" It's just such an unknown variable. I think they probably should've done something like the NBA bubble. I know logistics on that are difficult but figure something out at least. 

Or hey, maybe our leaders could've taken this stuff seriously when they were first told of it back in November/December, we'd be in much better shape. I don't care which way you mean politically, the way this country has handled this whole thing has been a friggin' embarrassment. We got a toddler in office saying crap like, "It'll just go away!" Yeah, sure. I don't mean to go so far off topic but I'm getting tired of people not taking this thing seriously. My in-laws just HAD to go visit my brother-in-law down in Indiana. Guess who can't breathe after a few steps and shows every friggin' symptom of COVID? That's right, my conspiracy theorist brother-in-law who's been convinced all this time that all of this is just some kinda conspiratorial BS. And my mother-in-law today, "We wanted to stop by and use the grill" no, no you may not. You've been back for four days, you're both over 60, your son is suspended from his job until his results come in, go get tested! Aye yi yi. Again, sorry, I got a GD tooth infection and I'm fussy. 

• Haha (+1) 1