Enough with the political BS, NFL needs to ban fans league wide

Penfield45

There is one kernel of truth in this soon-to-be-closed thread: some teams having fans in the stands while others don’t IS a competitive advantage for those teams. It IS unfair.

Theres no easy answer on how to remedy this issue, but it IS an issue.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

The way the league has handled the virus and their planning has been a downright joke. the fact that the league is too scared to come out and ban fans for the next season so they don't get backlash from their conservative fanbase is embarrassing. 

How are some teams allowed to bring in fans but others aren't? How is that even remotely fair? Just ban fans all together until it is safe to do otherwise. 

Is there even a plan for this? It is just a total mess right now. I don't see the league finishing this season with the way its going right now. players testing positive left and right in training camp, what happens when games start and teams are constantly traveling? There are way too many moving parts in football to get this done properly in this environment. 

The league has handled the virus pretty well so far, exceptionally well given that they aren't in a bubble.  I'm quite surprised at the level of discipline teams have had so far.  They've at least have gone above and beyond my expectations.

Some teams can bring in fans because they assessed that the risk of exposure to limited number of fans is not that high - probably a long drawn out process, with numbers and data crunching by a chosen group in their brain trust (population data vs covid case #s etc).  Whether it's true or not, we'll probably never know.

People running multi-billion dollar operations and you're questioning whether they have a plan or not?  My bet is on them having plans.  Maybe greed over revenue shrouds their eyes, but I'm going to assume that the decisions they are (going) to make are going to be informed ones.

Just my opinion.

Although I am a definite mask wearer and am, if anything, overly cautious in regards to my proximity to others at this time, I think there will be a way to get fans in the seats. It’s gonna be hard and it’s  going to really test security measures, but I think they could definitely do some thing with about 20,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium. The fear that we can all have is what happens when something goes wrong and people stop listening to the measures in place. If there is a giant outbreak out of a football game, it shuts down the opportunity for further attendance and has implications away from the game. That is, more than likely, the fear the NFL and  its owners harbour. The press and optics behind that are very undesirable.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Like (+1) 4

I do agree that it should be fans or no fans. Having some teams allow fans and some teams not isn’t playing on an even field 

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

There is one kernel of truth in this soon-to-be-closed thread: some teams having fans in the stands while others don’t IS a competitive advantage for those teams. It IS unfair.

This. OP is lose but he’s right about this

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

The NBA has seamed to figure out a way to get through this.......the NFL should somehow be looking at that model

There is no possible way to run the type of schedule that the NBA has in the NFL. They could, possibly, do four hub cities and play the games through those on Saturdays Sundays Mondays and Thursdays, but it wouldn’t be anywhere near as much of a bubble as the NBA has created. 

• Like (+1) 2

Temp checks at the gates would go over just swell. Not only would Terry have to spend thousands on hundreds of thermometers, he would have to fork out thousands more to pay employees to open the gates 2-3 hours earlier to get everyone through. I don't see how any of this would be feasible.

So here's a post about an experiment just run in Germany with 2000 fans at a concert, equipped with fluorescent hand gel and contact trackers.

They are saying results available "by the end of the year" but I'm hoping they'll get it on and finish analyzing more quickly, because the results would surely be helpful to NFL teams trying to have fans present.

Just now, Bubba Gump said:

Temp checks at the gates would go over just swell. Not only would Terry have to spend thousands on hundreds of thermometers, he would have to fork out thousands more to pay employees to open the gates 2-3 hours earlier to get everyone through. I don't see how any of this would be feasible.

The technology exists to put up walk-through temperature scanners.  Here's an article about having them implemented at Tyson Food plants.  They're basically walk-through scanners like a metal detector.

Temperature scanners are apparently common in Asia.  For example I'm told in China at universities now, staff and faculty have to be scanned in every day, they walk up to a device that recognizes their face, takes their temperature, and either admits them or redirects them for a second temperature check with an individual thermometer.

Even individual forehead scanning doesn't slow things down too much.  For example at GM Tonawanda, employees have to get their badge scanned, affirm they have none of the listed symptoms, and have their temperature scanned before being admitted to work.  It apparently goes pretty quickly once people are "used to" the drill and have their badge ready with one hand and their hair off their forehead with the other.

Here's the problem though: if people are most infectious just before they become symptomatic (several studies indicate this is likely) and if asymptomatic people are infectious (again, several studies indicate it's so) temperature scanning isn't too helpful at excluding covid-19 infected and infectious fans.  It's better than nothing I guess.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

I see the point, but I kinda liken it to teams with higher seating capacity or teams that play in tax friendly states and could theoretically advantage them in FA. Teams are working with what they got as it’s a state by state decision and not the league.

If anything I think there’s a bigger issue in the NFL telling teams they can’t have fans if their respective states will allow it as that feels like infringing on the ability of the team to make money. So long as they’re consistent and allow fans where ever the gov. Is allowing them, it makes sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The technology exists to put up walk-through temperature scanners.  Here's an article about having them implemented at Tyson Food plants.  They're basically walk-through scanners like a metal detector.

Temperature scanners are apparently common in Asia.  For example I'm told in China at universities now, staff and faculty have to be scanned in every day, they walk up to a device that recognizes their face, takes their temperature, and either admits them or redirects them for a second temperature check with an individual thermometer.

Even individual forehead scanning doesn't slow things down too much.  For example at GM Tonawanda, employees have to get their badge scanned, affirm they have none of the listed symptoms, and have their temperature scanned before being admitted to work.  It apparently goes pretty quickly once people are "used to" the drill and have their badge ready with one hand and their hair off their forehead with the other.

Here's the problem though: if people are most infectious just before they become symptomatic (several studies indicate this is likely) and if asymptomatic people are infectious (again, several studies indicate it's so) temperature scanning isn't too helpful at excluding covid-19 infected and infectious fans.  It's better than nothing I guess.

It just all seems too much to get ready to implement for the beginning of the season. Maybe they could have something in place by weeks 5 or 6 depending how the fall flu season and Covid are going by then. I myself don't anticipate making it to any games this year, unfortunately.

Edited by Bubba Gump