Enough with the political BS, NFL needs to ban fans league wide

Penfield45

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

My brutha Mod @Hapless Bills Fan has chimed in on multiple posts in a worthy attempt to save this “BS” thread. Personally, I think the tread is complete “BS” and unworthy of a main board topic. Hell, it’s unworthy in PPP, imo.

Seriously considering slamming the trunk shut on this witless carnage.

Thoughts?

A thread that is titled "no political BS" and blames any side of a political spectrum for a problem that has yet to happen caused by a policy yet to be enacted seems perfectly fine to me.

I was thinking of creating one blaming Libertarians for causing head injuries to players who might decide not to wear helmets.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Oh, right now probably the difference between 75,000, and 175,000 American deaths.  The science deniers and anti-maskers tend to reside on the 'conservative' end of the spectrum.  

*idiot606 has entered the chat. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

A thread that is titled "no political BS" and blames any side of a political spectrum for a problem that has yet to happen caused by a policy yet to be enacted seems perfectly fine to me.

I was thinking of creating one blaming Libertarians for causing head injuries to players who might decide not to wear helmets.

Clever post. Thank you. The bolded is actually my pointed concern.

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Clever post. Thank you. The bolded is actually my pointed concern.

I know right.  I mean I think it is cool that Jerry Hughes and Dawson Knox seem like free spirits but I don't want to see them hurt.  Plus we play the Rams this year and their helmet logos clearly encourage violent hits.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Oh, right now probably the difference between 75,000, and 175,000 American deaths.  The science deniers and anti-maskers tend to reside on the 'conservative' end of the spectrum.  

well how many deaths could have been saved from nursing home deaths? Also, what happened at the end of may and was that the cause of the sudden spike that started mid to late June? 

11 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Just my take, not a comment on Covid itself at all. I couldn’t care less if I can go to game this season. After spending 40 hours a week wearing a mask, I’d rather sit in front of the tv watching the Bills in comfort. 

I don’t get how you make the mask thing really work though. Are they going to ban food and drinks ? How would they determine when you are or aren’t eating ? Who enforces all of this ? I don’t see who would be stopping fans from loading up on a bunch to eat during the game, so they could keep the mask off. I’d be like the restaurant rule. They’d almost need to just sit people six feet apart, and only require masks in the concourse imo. 

concessions would be closed of course.   that is easy.   restrict restroom occupancy.   masks on for everyone.   this is fairly easy to manage.   social distance at the gate (hell there won't be more than 10- 15k allowed at the game.   Lower bowl only.   tape off every other row.   other sports have done this.  really not that difficult in an 100% outdoor, windy area around the venue of that size.  

too bad the Bills play in New York State.   nothing will happen there.  

Edited by ProcessTruster

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We went 6-2 on the road last season.  I'm not too concerned about the Bills having a competitive disadvantage with or without fans.

Be concerned. Be very concerned.

We clearly are a well-coached team that isn't psychologically flattened by being on the road. But those eight teams were:

The Jets (W)

The Giants (W)

The Titans (W) with Mariota at QB, who'd gone 2-3 at that time.

The Browns (L)

The Fins (W)

The Cowboys (W)

The Steelers (W) with Duck at QB

The Pats (L)

And the 6-2 doesn't include the road playoff loss.

That wasn't murderer's row they faced on the road last year. They had a cumulative record of 59 - 69, and the Steelers and Titans weren't even as good at that point of the season as their not terribly impressive records made them look. I'm betting this year's away schedule will be a lot tougher. But I'm with you that this isn't a huge deal, it's a minor one.

Edited by Thurman#1

I don’t understand this mentality. But I believe in freedom and individual responsibility. 

I also believe in the rights of private organizations to do what they see as necessary so I’ll support the decision the nfl makes as their right either way. 

But I do not understand or accept this authoritarian nonsense of what folks ought be allowed to do and what they ought not be allowed to do. 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The technology exists to put up walk-through temperature scanners.  Here's an article about having them implemented at Tyson Food plants.  They're basically walk-through scanners like a metal detector.

Temperature scanners are apparently common in Asia.  For example I'm told in China at universities now, staff and faculty have to be scanned in every day, they walk up to a device that recognizes their face, takes their temperature, and either admits them or redirects them for a second temperature check with an individual thermometer.

Even individual forehead scanning doesn't slow things down too much.  For example at GM Tonawanda, employees have to get their badge scanned, affirm they have none of the listed symptoms, and have their temperature scanned before being admitted to work.  It apparently goes pretty quickly once people are "used to" the drill and have their badge ready with one hand and their hair off their forehead with the other.

Here's the problem though: if people are most infectious just before they become symptomatic (several studies indicate this is likely) and if asymptomatic people are infectious (again, several studies indicate it's so) temperature scanning isn't too helpful at excluding covid-19 infected and infectious fans.  It's better than nothing I guess.

Good points. Particularly in the last paragraph.

But I live in Japan, and yes, coming into ANY Japanese airport, you walk through a temperature scanner and have for the last ten or fifteen years or so, since SARS, if I remember correctly. Incoming passengers, that is.

Mods, I don't see anything useful coming of this discussion, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 hours ago, Logic said:

There is one kernel of truth in this soon-to-be-closed thread: some teams having fans in the stands while others don’t IS a competitive advantage for those teams. It IS unfair.

Theres no easy answer on how to remedy this issue, but it IS an issue.

Not certain there is a remedy but there are plenty of competitive disadvantages that teams have to deal with. The goal is the fairest possible competitive situation .. not actual equality. Examples ... some teams play in nice weather, some play in low tax  states, some have apathetic fan bases, some play in outdated stadiums, some play in stadiums that hold the noise in, some have unique wind patterns that give the home team web and kickers an advantage ... it won’t be “fair” but having some fans is better than having no fans if safely possible.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

The way the league has handled the virus and their planning has been a downright joke. the fact that the league is too scared to come out and ban fans for the next season so they don't get backlash from their conservative fanbase is embarrassing. 

How are some teams allowed to bring in fans but others aren't? How is that even remotely fair? Just ban fans all together until it is safe to do otherwise. 

Is there even a plan for this? It is just a total mess right now. I don't see the league finishing this season with the way its going right now. players testing positive left and right in training camp, what happens when games start and teams are constantly traveling? There are way too many moving parts in football to get this done properly in this environment. 

Sigh:

59 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

concessions would be closed of course.   that is easy.   restrict restroom occupancy.   masks on for everyone.   this is fairly easy to manage.   social distance at the gate (hell there won't be more than 10- 15k allowed at the game.   Lower bowl only.   tape off every other row.   other sports have done this.  really not that difficult in an 100% outdoor, windy area around the venue of that size.  

too bad the Bills play in New York State.   nothing will happen there.  

Yeah, but if concessions are closed, you’d have to at least be able to bring in water. The game is three hours long. I was just making the point that with people eating/drinking it would be hard to dictate when a mask should be on or off. That’s why you don’t need a mask when seated at a restaurant. Just seat people from separate parties more than six feet apart, and no mask needed while seated. I realize that won’t happen, but it just seems more feasible imo. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Not trying to start a political debate but just adding some perspective as I know many on here live all over the United States: Here in Southern California we’ve been ‘required’ to wear masks when out in public since April and we never stopped wearing them. There’s been no change in public policy since the onset.  However, it had ZERO impact on our recent unfortunate turn to get a significant wave of infections that’s now on the downward trend. 

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

My brutha Mod @Hapless Bills Fan has chimed in on multiple posts in a worthy attempt to save this “BS” thread. Personally, I think the tread is complete “BS” and unworthy of a main board topic. Hell, it’s unworthy in PPP, imo.

Seriously considering slamming the trunk shut on this witless carnage.

Thoughts?

I think the best course of action is usually to pop it like it’s hot. You should at least consider it as an option.    

7 hours ago, hmsmystic said:

This is idiocy-you don't see the league finishing the season???  Total mess right now??

Why are people like you out there rooting for this to fail?

Regardless of pollical beliefs, the NFL is a multi billion dollar business- people depend on it

They are and should be doing everything possible to safely proceed with a season

It's more than just concerns over safety and legitimacy of the season.

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

I'd like to believe that is true but I haven't seen a detailed plan as to how exactly that is going to be done. What is the basis for your belief that it could be done? For example, how do you get from your seat in the middle of the row to the aisle and back again when you have to use the head or want to get a fried bologna sandwich without having to squeeze by every person seated in that row between you and the aisle? Who and how are they going to monitor and police mask wearing by 20+ thousand people for 4 hours? How do you figure out which third of your fanbase gets tickets and which don't? Do you monitor and enforce social distancing in the parking lots? In the lines outside the entrances? Are you going to take the temperature of 20 thousand people? How early will fans have to get there to go through all of that just to get in, 7 hours? 5 hours? 2 hours? Does anybody know? How are people going to be seated, individually with everyone 6 feet apart? Or if you go to the game with a friend or a child, etc. do you get to sit together? 

It's easy to "think" it can be done with shorthand reasoning but once you start digging in to the details, it gets closer and closer to impossible to respect the rules needed to reduce the risks to acceptable levels, ie masks and 6 feet apart. I'll think it is "possible" when someone explains to me, who has been to every sporting event from little league soccer to NFL games to the NCAA championship game (New Orleans 2003, Go Orange!!!), how you get from the middle of the row to the aisle without lots of butt-to-face interactions.

A brief face-to-butt interaction isn't going to give anyone the virus.   And if you are going to pass by someone without their mask on, tell them to put it on or have a security guard tell them to do it.  The mask will save us all.

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's more than just concerns over safety and legitimacy of the season.

A brief face-to-butt interaction isn't going to give anyone the virus.   And if you are going to pass by someone without their mask on, tell them to put it on or have a security guard tell them to do it.  The mask will save us all.

But.....If you’re wearing YOUR mask then you should be fine...right? SHEEESSH