Earl Thomas On His Way Out Of Baltimore (Edit: now cut)

H2o

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It will be a heavy lift to cancel his contract over that and guys not liking him.

Come on!   No they are not.  Not as a group.   Might as well put Revis in there too--he held every team hostage for more money as soon as the ink on his latest contract dried.

Again, the trouble makers (Haynesworth, AB) didn't last so that culture had no effect.  

Moss, Dillon, Johnson were hardly much "trouble".    All of them had huge careers on their teams previous to NE.

NE needed Dillon.  Also Moss.  Even Revis.  

Moss had dogged it for most of his two years in Oakland. He was a massive problem there, and worked so little that people thought there was a chance he'd lost his talent. Which is why the Pats had to give so little, a 4th, for Moss to the Raiders. And the NE culture and Moss' return of interest, caused a near-total about-face.

Dillon mocked Marvin Lewis and team management. No, he was no problem in N.E., but that's the point. The Pats have had a lot of success in getting troublemakers to stop making trouble. You're right that they haven't been perfect at it, and you're right that Haynesworth and AB are two among several who show that. But they absolutely have had some success at it. LeGarrette Blount had done poorly in Pittsburgh and had had that big issue in college. The Pats brought him in and had great success.

It is an interesting question whether N.E. might take a shot at him. They don't seem to mind bringing in guys with a history of problems with front offices. But the fact that the leadership council on the Ravens didn't want him back would make me for one slow down and try to figure out what had happened. That's not a good sign. I wonder what Thomas'll do next.

Edited by Thurman#1

Dont rule out Seattle trading for him. He was / is perfect for their lone safety defensive scheme and will come a lot cheaper since the Ravens have paid his sign on bonus. WHat he did at the back allowed Chancellor to be aggressive - will similarly allow them to deploy Jamal Adams near the LOS.

From a football point of view - makes too much sense.

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Moss had dogged it for most of his two years in Oakland. He was a massive problem there, and worked so little that people thought there was a chance he'd lost his talent. Which is why the Pats had to give so little, a 4th, for Moss to the Raiders. And the NE culture and Moss' return of interest, caused a near-total about-face.

Dillon mocked Marvin Lewis and team management. No, he was no problem in N.E., but that's the point. The Pats have had a lot of success in getting troublemakers to stop making trouble. You're right that they haven't been perfect at it, and you're right that Haynesworth and AB are two among several who show that. But they absolutely have had some success at it. 

It is an interesting question whether N.E. might take a shot at him. They don't seem to mind bringing in guys with a history of problems with front offices. But the fact that the leadership council on the Ravens didn't want him back would make me for one slow down and try to figure out what had happened. That's not a good sign. I wonder what Thomas'll do next.

Moss had a HOF career going in Minny without much trouble.  He was upset that they traded him and to the lowly Raiders, no less.  Had they traded him direct to NE (or any good team), there would hav been no "problem".

Dillon I covered.  Dillon was their best back ever.  Lewis was a bum.  At some point, Dillon pointed out the obvious.  That's hardly a chronic problem....

All the others on that "problem list", they couldn't help...

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well, I mean, if a guy is constantly being a jack*ss and becoming a distraction then what is it supposed to smell like? Smells like you cut the cancer from the locker room to me. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Moss had a HOF career going in Minny without much trouble.  He was upset that they traded him and to the lowly Raiders, no less.  Had they traded him direct to NE (or any good team), there would hav been no "problem".

Yes, nobody is arguing that he was terrific in Minny, but he was let go partly because hewas perceived to starting to cause trouble and becoming a prima-donna.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/2087027-so-why-did-vikings-trade-randy-moss

""Money had nothing to do with it," McCombs said. "The reason I traded him was because Randy had kind of lost his place in the locker room. He kind of lost his place with our other leaders on the team. As an owner of a sports team, when you sense that you got a player who loses his place in the locker room, regardless of what kind of talent he's got, you have to make a move. I made a move."

Problems were starting, and they continued in Oakland. Again, the fact that nobody believed in him the way they used to was shown by how very little N.E. had to pay for him. A 4th rounder.

Your last sentence is pure guesswork. Might have been true or not. But what was true after his Oakland stay he was at best a question mark. Oakland would surely have traded him to any other team if anyone had beaten that offer. Nobody did. 

However you spin this, Randy Moss was widely perceived as damaged goods when the Pats picked him up. Only in N.E. did he put himself on the line. Then after his last season with Belichick, putting up 1264 yards, he all but quit for everyone else.

He absolutely stands as a known risk for Belichick that worked out like gangbusters, and the locker room absolutely appears to be a large part of that.

Dillon I covered.  Dillon was their best back ever.  Lewis was a bum.  At some point, Dillon pointed out the obvious.  That's hardly a chronic problem....

So, "pointing out the obvious," isn't a problem in football locker rooms? Please, dude, it's a massive problem when it means criticizing the team and the front office.. Particularly for a guy whose last three years had seen a major dip in production. In Cincy, his YPA looked like this:  4.8, 4.3, 4.6, 4.6, and then suddenly 3.9, 4.2, 3.9.

Being a locker room lawyer/rebel is a huge problem, it means many teams won't even consider you. It means any team that picks you up is taking a risk. Which New England did, almost certainly because they felt their locker room could stand up to any pressure put on it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/11/corey-dillon-wishes-mend-fences-bengals/465732001/

“I am a grown man, I can admit when I’m wrong,” Dillon said. “I did some stuff that was not cool, OK? Not cool at all. But, hey, at the end of the day I got the end result that I wanted. That was to play on a stage and actually winning a Super Bowl. Do I wish it would have been with them? Absolutely. Absolutely. It didn’t work out that way. I don’t have no ill will toward nobody there.” He forced his way out there, and found a culture in New England. that got him to fit in.

And whoda thunk it, his YPA leapt up the next year to 4.7.

All the others on that "problem list", they couldn't help...

No, that's not true, either. Ochocinco had been ungovernable at the end in Cincy, and he toed the line in Foxboro. He was too old to make a difference by that time, or maybe there was some kind of stylistic misfit, but he was happy in the locker room there in a way he hadn't been for ages.

Guys like Talib were brought in and cleaned up their act in N.E. He'd had tons of off-field issues in Tampa and again the Pats got a guy cheap because of that, and again that guy cleaned up his act.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1152361-nfl-rumors-bucs-must-trade-aqib-talib-and-draft-morris-claiborne-as-replacement

I already agreed with you that there were plenty that didn't work out, for various reasons. But equally, there were a number who they were able to get at a cut rate because of problems and then their culture got them to fit in and sometimes greatly benefit the Pats.

The Pats have had a very strong culture and it's helped them bring in guys who've had trouble elsewhere and fit them in. It seems we may have built the same kind of a sturdy, robust culture that may be able to help us in the same way.

I have no idea if Earl Thomas will be another guy the Pats will bring in. Possible, though.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Dude must be a world-class jerk. Players usually stick together. To hear that fellow players are the primary pushers for his release is surprising.  

So bad that the Ravens would absorb that cap hit.  

Thomas' life is out of control and it's spilling over to his on-field performance and behavior.  There's something going on that isn't within any of the reporting here. 

59 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, nobody is arguing that he was terrific in Minny, but he was let go partly because hewas perceived to starting to cause trouble and becoming a prima-donna.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/2087027-so-why-did-vikings-trade-randy-moss

""Money had nothing to do with it," McCombs said. "The reason I traded him was because Randy had kind of lost his place in the locker room. He kind of lost his place with our other leaders on the team. As an owner of a sports team, when you sense that you got a player who loses his place in the locker room, regardless of what kind of talent he's got, you have to make a move. I made a move."

Problems were starting, and they continued in Oakland. Again, the fact that nobody believed in him the way they used to was shown by how very little N.E. had to pay for him. A 4th rounder.

Your last sentence is pure guesswork. Might have been true or not. But what was true after his Oakland stay he was at best a question mark. Oakland would surely have traded him to any other team if anyone had beaten that offer. Nobody did. 

However you spin this, Randy Moss was widely perceived as damaged goods when the Pats picked him up. Only in N.E. did he put himself on the line. Then after his last season with Belichick, putting up 1264 yards, he all but quit for everyone else.

He absolutely stands as a known risk for Belichick that worked out like gangbusters, and the locker room absolutely appears to be a large part of that.

So, "pointing out the obvious," isn't a problem in football locker rooms? Please, dude, it's a massive problem when it means criticizing the team and the front office.. Particularly for a guy whose last three years had seen a major dip in production. In Cincy, his YPA looked like this:  4.8, 4.3, 4.6, 4.6, and then suddenly 3.9, 4.2, 3.9.

Being a locker room lawyer/rebel is a huge problem, it means many teams won't even consider you. It means any team that picks you up is taking a risk. Which New England did, almost certainly because they felt their locker room could stand up to any pressure put on it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/11/corey-dillon-wishes-mend-fences-bengals/465732001/

“I am a grown man, I can admit when I’m wrong,” Dillon said. “I did some stuff that was not cool, OK? Not cool at all. But, hey, at the end of the day I got the end result that I wanted. That was to play on a stage and actually winning a Super Bowl. Do I wish it would have been with them? Absolutely. Absolutely. It didn’t work out that way. I don’t have no ill will toward nobody there.” He forced his way out there, and found a culture in New England. that got him to fit in.

And whoda thunk it, his YPA leapt up the next year to 4.7.

No, that's not true, either. Ochocinco had been ungovernable at the end in Cincy, and he toed the line in Foxboro. He was too old to make a difference by that time, or maybe there was some kind of stylistic misfit, but he was happy in the locker room there in a way he hadn't been for ages.

Guys like Talib were brought in and cleaned up their act in N.E. He'd had tons of off-field issues in Tampa and again the Pats got a guy cheap because of that, and again that guy cleaned up his act.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1152361-nfl-rumors-bucs-must-trade-aqib-talib-and-draft-morris-claiborne-as-replacement

I already agreed with you that there were plenty that didn't work out, for various reasons. But equally, there were a number who they were able to get at a cut rate because of problems and then their culture got them to fit in and sometimes greatly benefit the Pats.

The Pats have had a very strong culture and it's helped them bring in guys who've had trouble elsewhere and fit them in. It seems we may have built the same kind of a sturdy, robust culture that may be able to help us in the same way.

I have no idea if Earl Thomas will be another guy the Pats will bring in. Possible, though.

Dillon was the Bengals best ever.  Never had under 1100 a year.  Your switching to YPC is meant to distract from that fact.  He talked himself into a better team.  Smart.

Trading Moss was a blunder obviously.  Should have gotten a better HC and kept the talent.