Limited tailgating vote tonight

BillsMafi$

24 minutes ago, Greg S said:

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out with students going back to school at all levels (elementary school to college). I hope it can work out for all involved. On a much less important note I wonder if there will be a Halloween this year. I can't see parents wanting to have their kids going around town ringing doorbells and getting candy from strangers this year.

There will be a Halloween.  I just don’t know that the kids will be trick-or-treating. 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

There will be a Halloween.  I just don’t know that the kids will be trick-or-treating. 

Trick-or-treating and Halloween parties are the big parts of Halloween. It will probably feel like a regular day this year.

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'll look for one.  I live in Atlanta and video of pop up makeshift concerts were all over the socials down here.

Yeah, I'm right downtown too but hadnt seen anything about that. Figured it would be bigger news, but nothing turning up in Google or Twitter...

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, I'm right downtown too but hadnt seen anything about that. Figured it would be bigger news, but nothing turning up in Google or Twitter...

Same, i'm in Buckhead.  Saw it on friends snapchats and ig stories.  I'm going to have to try to link from there when I get a chance.

For the record - I have zero issue with the protests, I even went to some - but they weren't exactly what people want to frame them as (COVID-speaking), especially when day turned to night and the actual protesters were replaced by agitators.

My biggest worry about Bills tailgating would be those purposely seeking out mask-less folks to make us look bad.... which also happened during the protests.  When politics are involved, you can bet people will find what they want to see, whether at a tailgate, protest or whatever.

That said, i'm here for it.  i'd even be down to fly up for it and/or a game if fans are allowed, provided Cuomo chills on the out-of-state quarantine stuff.

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I’m for it, and I’d go.  

Im a religious mask wearer, who believes in social distancing when possible, but we also need to get back to somewhat of a normal.  

Cases are going to happen regardless of what we do.  Until there’s a vaccine, we have to learn to live with this.  

Look at Florida, Texas, Georgia and South Carolina.. These states are as open as can be right now, and certainly have their fair share of cases, but with a death rate of around 43 per 100k, this is not what we thought it was when the NE was getting hit initially.  

I agree we need to learn to live with it

im not sure tailgating is part of that. Seems just as easy to point at it as a spot that is sacrificed. 

either way it’s an interesting discussion, but I’m no health expert. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

and I know it’s not popular but I’d also guess more cases than given credit for actually traced back to these events 

If hammer set up a huge screen, for instance, he would certainly be a draw still even for people not attending the game.

I always wonder why the media hasn't played up the cause of some of the spikes were indeed the protests.  I mean you got to be an idiot not to think the BLM protests didn't cause spikes but a guy going for a drink with 3 of his friends at bar would spread community outbreak.  It is actually become laughable what the media has become.  Same reason most of the media outlets are not reporting what is going on in Portland right now.  The footage of that couple getting dragged out of their vehicle & beaten to the brink of death has barely been covered because it doesn't fit the media's agenda.  The video was sickening.  Peaceful protests my ass.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Exactly. I think many parents will do the same. Halloween won't be normal this year for sure. It's a shame because the kids especially the younger ones enjoy that day.

Make it an Easter Egg hunt in and around outside the home........a Snickers in the bush, a Skittles under a pillow. Kids just want the candy, parents just want to have an IPA and get after it once the kids go to bed.

26 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I always wonder why the media hasn't played up the cause of some of the spikes were indeed the protests.  I mean you got to be an idiot not to think the BLM protests didn't cause spikes but a guy going for a drink with 3 of his friends at bar would spread community outbreak.  It is actually become laughable what the media has become.  Same reason most of the media outlets are not reporting what is going on in Portland right now.  The footage of that couple getting dragged out of their vehicle & beaten to the brink of death has barely been covered because it doesn't fit the media's agenda.  The video was sickening.  Peaceful protests my ass.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-events/did-events-like-protests-and-bar-reopenings-lead-to-spikes-in-covid-19-cases-idUSKBN249335

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/24/883017035/what-contact-tracing-may-tell-about-cluster-spread-of-the-coronavirus

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/01/research-determines-protests-did-not-cause-spike-in-coronavirus-cases/#1808ddde23dc

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/black-lives-matter-protests-didnt-contribute-to-covid19-surge

It's actually pretty simple...

Protests: Outdoors, distancing, lots of masks

Bars: Indoors, closely gathered, no masks

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Got a credible citation that its not true?

That's not how it works and you know it.

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Yep!  And pulling on that thread a little further, you can tailgate outdoors with distancing and masks pretty easily.  So there ya go.

Yes, a very good point. And one I'm not against, if you can ensure people will be wearing their masks properly and consistently. Are you confident that is what will happen at a Bills tailgate in OP?

Remind me, does NY/Erie County/Buffalo/OP have a mask mandate when in public? If so, that's an easy answer. Have the Sheriffs hand out fines for not wearing a mask.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's not how it works and you know it.

To say that even a majority of protestors wore masks at those protests flies in the face of reality. 

Im exaggerating a bit - I think its safe to say, however, a substantial percentage did not wear masks.

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

To say that even a majority of protestors wore masks at those protests flies in the face of reality. 

Around here at least, anecdotally, most of the daytime protestors at the pre-organized events were masked.

The nighttime "protestors," erm, not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Just now, LB3 said:

Don't believe your eyes.

01UNREST-GLOBAL-REACT1-mobileMasterAt3x.

gettyimages-1220013438_wide-d5c386dcc407

We can all post pics all day. JAHBH made the assertion. Back it up.

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, a very good point. And one I'm not against, if you can ensure people will be wearing their masks properly and consistently. Are you confident that is what will happen at a Bills tailgate in OP?

Yes.

4 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

If you're afraid to go to a tailgate, stay home. Who are you to stop people from living life? 

3 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Don't believe your eyes.

01UNREST-GLOBAL-REACT1-mobileMasterAt3x.

If you count the people in this picture wearing masks vs. those who aren't you may find a majority are wearing masks.  Most of the ones not wearing masks have them pulled down around their chins. 

Another version.

Demonstrators marched in Berlin on Sunday to protest the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in Minneapolis.

Believe your eyes but check your math.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

? That we could. My favorite was the video of the protest in Chicago a month or so ago that turned into a dance off. Some good twerking!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First, this isnt a court of law. There are no burdens.

Second, even a single picture demonstrating masks were not worn establishes the point - at least some (half was an unprovable assertion on my part, hence my edit) did not wear masks. There are thousands of pics on the internet right now conclusively showing tens of thousands of protestors did not wear masks at those rallies.

10 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Around here at least, anecdotally, most of the daytime protestors at the pre-organized events were masked.

The nighttime "protestors," erm, not so much.

I believe that

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If you count the people in this picture wearing masks vs. those who aren't you may find a majority are wearing masks.  Most of the ones not wearing masks have them pulled down around their chins. 

Another version.

Demonstrators marched in Berlin on Sunday to protest the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in Minneapolis.

Believe your eyes but check your math.

I count 14-15 in masks. Some aren't clear on my phone.

2 have masks on but their noses out.

9 without masks on.

I wouldn't count that as "most" wear masks. I also don't see social distancing.

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

First, this isnt a court of law. There are no burdens.

Second, even a single picture demonstrating masks were not worn establishes the point - at least some (half was an unprovable assertion on my part, hence my edit) did not wear masks. There are thousands of pics on the internet right now conclusively showing tens of thousands of protestors did not wear masks at those rallies.

So we went from all, to most, to half, to some, but then back to tens of thousands??   

Just now, LB3 said:

9 without masks on.

yep they’re packed in like sardines... at your traditional outdoor tailgate people don’t stand that close together by a long shot (unless it’s close to the Pinto Ron van for the ketchup and mustard ceremony or something).

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

So we went from all, to most, to half, to some, but then back to tens of thousands??   

I never said all. It didnt even occur to me that anyone would challenge that so many protestors were not wearing masks, so I didnt think precise language was needed. Frankly, the claim buggers belief. 

Was it tens of thousands? Obviously. Was it “most” or “half?” Well, now that we are splitting hairs over inconsequential details, I have to acknowledge I have no way of knowing the percentage. Thus, I backed away from those claims. Again, the exact percentage is inconsequential when its so obvious that a substantial number of people werent wearing masks.

Just now, LB3 said:

9 without masks on.

You wouldn't count a majority as most?  

4 of the 9 are wearing masks, but have them around their necks and chins.  Count that however you'd like.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/world/asia/george-floyd-protest-global.html