Looks like the Raiders will not have fans at the new stadium

51 minutes ago, Rubes said:

The real tragedy in all of this is how the public has completely forgotten what public health is all about.

Would have been nice to have leadership capable of articulating what public health is all about, what our role is in maintaining it, and then demanding the sacrifice necessary to see it through. Americans have done this in the past. And we can do it again. But it starts at the top with a unifying vision. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Would have been nice to have leadership capable of articulating what public health is all about, what our role is in maintaining it, and then demanding the sacrifice necessary to see it through. Americans have done this in the past. And we can do it again. But it starts at the top with a unifying vision. 

Agreed, though I'll just mention that this is really the result of changes over the past few decades.

5 hours ago, Rubes said:

The real tragedy in all of this is how the public has completely forgotten what public health is all about.

Can you expand please? .Brother, wish you participated more on this subject, but guess can understand why you do not..but only taking a guess. Your  knowledge and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance??

9 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

You can choose to close your business and stay in your house with your mask on if you so desire, no one should be choosing those things for me, this is a free society. Same for going to a sporting event, just don't go, and mind your own business when it comes to others who decide to go.

Same could be said for drunk driving. You could always stay at home so you don't get hit by a drunk driver. It's a free society, if I wanna drive home after a night of drinking, it's a free society and I should be able to do what I want! Mind your own business and let everyone drive themselves home after a night at the bar......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Exactly. To say what is happening currently "doesnt matter" is just a cheap and easy (and invalid) way out of a conversation they know they can't win.

WRT the nursing homes. It's not good, but mistakes happen. Especially when dealing with little info, and little help from the leaders above (Feds) who once again abandoned the American people. The important part is seeing the mistake and correcting it as quickly as possible. Just like we teach children, admit your mistakes and address them to get them fixed. Seems some adults could use that lesson as well.

As opposed to being 4 months in, having plenty of information, and still choosing to do the wrong/dangerous thing.

It is same thing as what you are doing, saying things in the past don't matter.  When this is all over NY will be in the top 3 states of both cases & deaths.  

11 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Same could be said for drunk driving. You could always stay at home so you don't get hit by a drunk driver. It's a free society, if I wanna drive home after a night of drinking, it's a free society and I should be able to do what I want! Mind your own business and let everyone drive themselves home after a night at the bar......

Knock it off.  There's a large number here that will take this as 100% gospel truth.  ?

22 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Can you expand please? .Brother, wish you participated more on this subject, but guess can understand why you do not..but only taking a guess. Your  knowledge and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance??

Yeah man, there's definitely a lot I can say on this topic, so much of what I read here is just really depressing. I've thought about diving in a few times to straighten out some things but it feels so futile arguing with people on an internet board who mostly don't seem interested in listening or learning. I deal with this all day long and there's so much else going on I feel like it's just not the best way to spend the free time I have.

In any case...public health is probably more responsible for advances in human health and civilization than almost anything else, but public health is about the public good, not individual good. As a society we had a strong respect for public health for many years, and that paid off in major ways for everyone. But over the past few decades it's been viewed more and more as a bonus rather than an obligation, and as the direct benefits became less conspicuous over time, the public started taking it for granted. In turn, public funding has been dropping at almost every level for years. State and local health departments are woefully underfunded and unprepared to address public health emergencies such as this. And right now, when we need them the most, the public's understanding and appreciation of what public health is and does and how it can help is at its lowest.

We've become an ultimately selfish, self-centered society, a largely every-man-for-himself kind of society. That is, of course, at odds with the idea of sacrificing something for the public good, which is what is needed most at times like these. This is how we—especially the most vulnerable—will pay the price for that. If we as a society could learn something from this, there might be some hope, but what I see more and more is simply a lack of interest.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/23/2020 at 4:16 PM, Rubes said:

Agreed, though I'll just mention that this is really the result of changes over the past few decades.

You’ve got that right. I’m doing research on behalf of those who hypothesize that there are a few, singular legislative events that took place decades ago that directly led to the kind of tribal intractability responsible for our reluctance to embrace unifying themes as a nation.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

We've become an ultimately selfish, self-centered society, a largely every-man-for-himself kind of society. That is, of course, at odds with the idea of sacrificing something for the public good, which is what is needed most at times like these. This is how we—especially the most vulnerable—will pay the price for that.

Good point.

Whenever someone talks about how "self-sufficient" they are, I like to point out that mankind is at the top of the food chain, but a man is not. Every survival manual tells you how to stay alive long enough to get back to civilization. Even the "mountain men" who live in the hills use modern technology - chainsaws (and, by extension, gasoline), guns, ammo, etc.

We're all in this together, folks.

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/23/2020 at 11:12 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

The biggest city in the country got hit hard and first, when everyone was still trying to figure out what was going on, on their own after being all but abandoned by the Federal Government.

Since then, NY has got COVID under control, while we are spiraling further into chaos with no end in sight, and the Governor is spending time and resources suing mayors for implementing mask requirements. Our ICUs are still at capacity, and case numbers are still growing.

NY leadership steered the state out of a bad situation. GA leadership is putting the pedal to the floor, driving right into that bad situation.

It can also be said we had far less understanding of this thing when it hit NY. We have far more understanding of it now than we did four months ago, but still not nearly a complete picture. However, we learned enough about how it spreads and how to stop the spread, and yet FL, AZ, GA, TX, etc, still ran head first into it. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 12:33 PM, Limeaid said:

Stock market has not collapsed because they believe that election change will result in competent changes will be made after election.

Corrected.  Sometimes Darwin does not work fast enough and needs a helping hand before defective genes are passed.

Just to be clear you work without safety equipment?... because I do and yet still was exposed... got sick... recovered and tested positive for the antibodies... ps I survived cancerous tumor last year... just a little bit scary.

Edited by North Buffalo

On 7/23/2020 at 11:22 PM, Gene1973 said:

You can choose to close your business and stay in your house with your mask on if you so desire, no one should be choosing those things for me, this is a free society. Same for going to a sporting event, just don't go, and mind your own business when it comes to others who decide to go.

It is indeed a free society, as free as is reasonable.

But true freedom doesn't exist, nor should it.

You can't murder me without being penalized with jail time. That's taking away your freedom, but most would call it a reasonable regulation. And COVID regs are the same thing. By going to a sporting event and picking up COVID, you could be responsible for the death of my grandmother.

Society has a perfect, reasonable right to regulate this. The question is how much.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 7/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, jimmy10 said:

It can also be said we had far less understanding of this thing when it hit NY. We have far more understanding of it now than we did four months ago, but still not nearly a complete picture. However, we learned enough about how it spreads and how to stop the spread, and yet FL, AZ, GA, TX, etc, still ran head first into it. 

Not totally accurate. People are under the mistaken impression that NY is still the biggest population center in the country. It hasn’t been for a long time. California has literally TWICE the population of NY! The numbers we’ve been seeing quoted are for a region of southern states that is thousands (maybe millions) of square miles larger than the NY metro area. The impact of the virus is nowhere near the severity of what it was in the spring.