Knox talks about his hands...

eball

From article on the front page this a.m.:

Knox tailored his workouts so that he could zero in on an aspect of his game to improve each week. One was the reliability of his hands, which Knox said he addressed by catching 250 balls a day fired at him from the Jugs machine at his parents’ home, which is a 15-minute drive away.

“I've never had any type of problems with my hands,” Knox said. “It came down to last year, it would be the easy catches that I kind of would start looking upfield, thinking too much about what I'm going to try to do when I actually get the ball in my hands instead of actually getting it into my hands first. There were some photos I saw (where) the ball was getting to me and I was already looking at who I'm going to try to make miss. So that's been the biggest thing for me, just focusing on eyes all the way to the tuck. But I mean, I don't have any type of issues with what that's going to look like going forward, because I think it's just kind of going back to the basics, retraining my eyes to the tuck and not trying to go run someone over until I actually have the ball.

This is good stuff — I look for Dawson to have an outstanding year.

• Like (+1) 27
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I can't believe people actually thought he has a catching/hands problem

It was clearly a concentration thing

You can’t believe he had a catching problem??

Why? Did the Tooth Fairy tell you he didn’t?

Anyway, his explanation wasn’t necessary. His issues were clear to everyone who saw him play. Better to be smacked down at the point of the catch than change focus at the last second and drop it. He could be the biggest fan favorite since Kyle if he gets this under control. Otherwise, he’ll quickly fall into oblivion.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Anyway, his explanation wasn’t necessary. His issues were clear to everyone who saw him play. Better to be smacked down at the point of the catch than change focus at the last second. Know could be the biggest fan favorite since Kyle if he gets this under control. Otherwise, he’ll quickly fall into oblivion.

The key to me is awareness.  It sounds like he is committed to making sure every ball is secured before he looks to make any more plays like the one against Cincinnati.  I don’t think he has a hands problem.  I mean, look at a couple of the long balls he caught (against NE*** and Baltimore) when he was concentrating.  They were stupendous.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, it all sounds good now. He better put it to work on the field this year. He cost us multiple first downs and scoring opportunities last year with those lapses in concentration. The schedule is tougher and the expectations are higher. We need him to continue his evolution into Shockey 2.0 :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Anyway, his explanation wasn’t necessary. His issues were clear to everyone who saw him play. Better to be smacked down at the point of the catch than change focus at the last second and drop it. He could be the biggest fan favorite since Kyle if he gets this under control. Otherwise, he’ll quickly fall into oblivion.

I mean it was just kinda clear to me he was looking to do things before he actually caught the ball

He had strong hands at ole miss

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean it was just kinda clear to me he was looking to do things before he actually caught the ball

I agree it was obvious what the problem was.

What I'm unclear on is how fixable it really is. 

He must have known what the problem was partway through the season, yet it remained.  So it's clearly not just a matter of conscious priorities, but a matter of gut reactions in game.

So how do you fix that?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He must have known what the problem was partway through the season, yet it remained.  So it's clearly not just a matter of conscious priorities, but a matter of gut reactions in game.

So how do you fix that?

Nah, you’re overthinking it.  The kid was trying to make plays as an overly eager rookie.  Now he’s had an offseason to reflect and focus on what is most important (i.e., securing the ball).  I’m glad he’s confident and not “worried” about his ability to catch, because as I said earlier, he made some very difficult catches look easy.

• Like (+1) 2

I just rewatched Ravens game last year. Josh started with overthrowing everybody but in 2nd half he was mostly spot on, and there were drops left and right. Knox, Beasley and Singletary had all major drops, and Knox had really brutal one. I don't know what was the issue but I really hope he gets better next year. That would be huge for Josh and whole offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So how do you fix that?

TO was notorious for dropping balls early in his career. Borderline personality aside, he turned out alright. It can be done. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are many outside observers whose knee jerk, go to opinion is that the drops the Bills suffered were due to Josh throwing it too hard or having poor ball placement.  I do not think we who watched every play of the season would say either of those were a big part of the problem.  

I tend to give Knox a lot of slack since he was so under targeted as a collegian.  When he knows where the defenders are he can make difficult catches. When he does not his concentration lapsed.  I think he will get this fixed in year 2.

a

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, eball said:

Knox tailored his workouts so that he could zero in on an aspect of his game to improve each week. One was the reliability of his hands, which Knox said he addressed by catching 250 balls a day fired at him from the Jugs machine at his parents’ home, which is a 15-minute drive away.

“I've never had any type of problems with my hands,” Knox said. “It came down to last year, it would be the easy catches that I kind of would start looking upfield, thinking too much about what I'm going to try to do when I actually get the ball in my hands instead of actually getting it into my hands first. There were some photos I saw (where) the ball was getting to me and I was already looking at who I'm going to try to make miss. So that's been the biggest thing for me, just focusing on eyes all the way to the tuck. But I mean, I don't have any type of issues with what that's going to look like going forward, because I think it's just kind of going back to the basics, retraining my eyes to the tuck and not trying to go run someone over until I actually have the ball.

This is good stuff — I look for Dawson to have an outstanding year.

That's exactly what I saw and have been saying all along. 

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I can’t remember this team ever having a TE like Knox just as far as athleticism and speed alone ,   he also showed that he can make some though catches I hope ? he puts it all together THIS year , cuz if he does will have ourselves a top 5 - 10 TE something that this team never had ( or at least not that I can remember) , 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 3

Good to hear that he’s recognized the problem and has been focusing on it.  

His speed, athleticism and ability to make tough catches gives him a chance to be a top flight TE in the league if he can just get the easy stuff figured out.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

I am calling BS.  No way a jugs machine can throw a ball over a 15 minute driving distance.

How would he even know when to get ready?

• Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is all fine and dandy.  I love Knox and think he can/will be great.

My question is this:  Since every Bills fan saw the problem, I think it's safe to say that McDermott and Daboll realized what the problem was. So .... why the ***** did they keep throwing it to him with Sweeney and, to an extent, Kroft and Smith?

At some point, one would think that one of them would say, "this ain't working.  Let's just throw the tough sideline passes to him and leave the over the middle stuff to Sweeney."

Anyway, I do believe Knox will fix this and be a force for years to come.

• Like (+1) 1

I only fly up for one or maybe two games a year so on TV it’s not as easy to see Knox up close like when you are at a game.  Having said that, my assumption is just what he said.  I used to play, but also coached youth football for years both in flag and tackle.  It’s one of the first things we teach kids is doesn’t matter what you do with the ball, it’s catching it first.  I drilled it into my two sons and eventually they both were excellent WRs.  I swear I must have said the same thing to them thousands of times.

It’s almost surprising Knox didn’t remember what he was taught as a youngster.  It was pretty cool he owned it and was willing to even share when interviewed.  A lot of players would not acknowledge that kind of mistake.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are correct, it was and is a concentration issue, that some misinterpreted as having bad hands, I think that dropping so many passes last season drove the point home pretty hard, and he is painfully aware of it. That is why he has addressed the issue, so good on him to have an honest understanding of the issue at “hand”.  

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is all fine and dandy.  I love Knox and think he can/will be great.

My question is this:  Since every Bills fan saw the problem, I think it's safe to say that McDermott and Daboll realized what the problem was. So .... why the ***** did they keep throwing it to him with Sweeney and, to an extent, Kroft and Smith?

At some point, one would think that one of them would say, "this ain't working.  Let's just throw the tough sideline passes to him and leave the over the middle stuff to Sweeney."

Anyway, I do believe Knox will fix this and be a force for years to come.

Knox is also solid in the blocking game.  With his skill set and blocking ability, along with our lack of dynamic playmakers last year, I would have taken the good with the bad from him as well....especially when the other options were a blocking tight end, a constantly injured tight end and an unproven tight end. 

Edited by SCBills