Drew Brees: Controversial comments

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

My problem with Colin kneeling was never his protest it was him wearing Che’ Guevara T-shirts...for those don’t remember history Che’ ironically used secret police to stomp down opponents and many times throw them in jail or worse...so dude was a massive massive hypocrite more then anything  

There are two types of people who bring up Che in these discussions.

Type 1) SUPER WOKE liberals who think he was too far to the right

Type 2) Conservative talk radio listeners who don’t know anything about him but are socially conditioned to unironically spit talking points without realizing that criticizing him undermines their own platform

29 minutes ago, Tcali said:

They have a right to kneel.But people cant also think they are spoiled rich punks. 

And when everyone kneels and puts pressure on others to do the same that is not bravery at all.

People really dont want to be lectured to by kids playing a kids game. Do I support their right to do it ? yes

right on Augie...Hiopefully some day minorities will realize that the social justice warriors kissing their arses are like the flatterers that Dante talks about in his writings.Phonies all of them.

Well said.

10 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Why is Drew Brees not a good person?   I personally do not know a lot about the man.  He sure has been an iconic figure in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina.   And didn't he and his wife donate a ton of money to help fight the Corona Virus in Louisiana?  He comes off as a good family man kind of guy.  Great football player, leader on the team.  What am I missing?   He certainly has a right to be against people not standing for the National Anthem.  And for the life of me I can not see why that view would be considered racist in the slightest.  Americans should all be patriotic.  Doesn't matter what color race religion you are.  This is the greatest country in the world.  And I am wayyyy fukin proud whenever I see the Stars and Stripes flying, whether from the back of a car, someone's house, or from a building, anywhere!! It is for ALL Americans of all walks of life and all races.  And if people have a problem with loving the American Flag and all that it stands for, I have a big problem with you.  Don't burn it, don't desecrate it, don't disrespect it.  Period.  The American flag does not discriminate.  It loves all who are Americans.  

This is a GREAT country.  It is not a perfect country. (there is no such thing)  Sure there are some bad cops.  And some are racist.  Similar to the rest of society.  And the cops in Minnesota certainly deserved to be punished to the fullest extent of the law for the horrible crime they committed against George Floyd.  It was absolutely despicable. But that in no way diminishes our country and the good that the overwhelming majority of people stand for and believe in every day regardless of their color.  Not the anarchy that has enveloped many areas by a small portion of misguided souls.  Because regardless of what the media wants to portray on the news and all other platforms,  the overwhelming majority of people just want to live their lives, stay healthy and make a god dam living.   

Brees has done a lot of good. He’s incredibly charitable. He has donated a lot to a lot of different causes. He’s one of the most important people in the history of New Orleans.

He’s also manufactured. Brees is a politician; his actions are always self-serving. There are certain things that I’m not going to get into that would change people’s perception of him. He plays the role of the good, Christian leader well. Brees’ image is (or has been to this point) pretty immaculate. Brees the person, is not that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Augie said:

We really do have a long way to go, that’s certainly true. I hate this thread, because I hate the reality....but do you really think racism does not go both ways? I’m hoping I misunderstood, honestly.

I can give countless situations where I or my family were disadvantaged, endangered or threatened because of the color of our white skin. Anything from AAU basketball to regularly doing community work in underprivileged neighborhoods where I was threatened to a guy I previously liked at work telling me he was getting a Pitt to put fear in the eyes of guys like me. 

This is a mess, and I’m bowing out here for now. 

Maybe this will help you understand a tad better. I am a black man. Im 37 and spent my whole life in America. EVERY TIME I am around my fellow black people and negativity is spoken against white people, it's in regard to OPPRESSION in one way or another. ALWAYS. Literally 100% is is anger filled speech about us being done wrong.

Now let's look into hate speech from white people about blacks? MUCH DIFFERENT. We are viewed as inferior humans if even considered a human at all. Many look at us as animals. You are white and I dont need to go into any further detail because you know exactly what Im talking about. 

What you call 'racism' from black people is born out of anger from white racism. Therefore they can NEVER be considered the same thing. Many whites love to believe its the same to help them feel better about themselves. 

Last thing to ponder, and I would like your honest feedback. When a black man in slavery times, was just lying helpless and bleeding on the ground, gets up and goes to the other slaves and expresses hatred for the white man who just beat him with the whip, is that not reasonable? Is it the same as the white slave owner who goes back in the house to share a chuckle with his wife on how he just had the n****** squirming and screaming?

• Thank you (+1) 4

Blacks speak against whites out of oppression

Whites speak against blacks out of inconvenience

The power structure in this country has made it such that blacks in America are incapable of oppressing whites.

6 minutes ago, StHustle said:

When a black man in slavery times, was just lying helpless and bleeding on the ground, gets up and goes to the other slaves and expresses hatred for the white man who just beat him with the whip, is that not reasonable? Is it the same as the white slave owner who goes back in the house to share a chuckle with his wife on how he just had the n****** squirming and screaming?

Couldn’t that slave just learn to take a joke? /s

13 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Maybe this will help you understand a tad better. I am a black man. Im 37 and spent my whole life in America. EVERY TIME I am around my fellow black people and negativity is spoken against white people, it's in regard to OPPRESSION in one way or another. ALWAYS. Literally 100% is is anger filled speech about us being done wrong.

Now let's look into hate speech from white people about blacks? MUCH DIFFERENT. We are viewed as inferior humans if even considered a human at all. Many look at us as animals. You are white and I dont need to go into any further detail because you know exactly what Im talking about. 

What you call 'racism' from black people is born out of anger from white racism. Therefore they can NEVER be considered the same thing. Many whites love to believe its the same to help them feel better about themselves. 

Last thing to ponder, and I would like your honest feedback. When a black man in slavery times, was just lying helpless and bleeding on the ground, gets up and goes to the other slaves and expresses hatred for the white man who just beat him with the whip, is that not reasonable? Is it the same as the white slave owner who goes back in the house to share a chuckle with his wife on how he just had the n****** squirming and screaming?

Plus nobody told dude it’s 2020 and minority wives aren’t g passes anymore.

7 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I’m not ducking you in any way, it’s just getting way too late for me tonight. I actually like the idea of this discussion.  Hope it’s OK if I get back to you tomorrow. It’s hard for me to get too deep right now. I have no idea where you get the idea you are looked at as “less than” anyone else. 

I have opinions, which is all any of us have. I’m happy to hear yours, I hope you will be open to mine as well. Have a great night! 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have no idea where you get the idea you are looked at as “less than” anyone else. 

For you to say you "have no idea" where I get that from is very telling. I don't want to derail this thread with indirectly related subject matter but feel free to message me for a healthy conversation. Or maybe we can hold a public discussion in the PPP forum. Have a great night.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think what Brees said was evil, or racist, but it's wrong. 

I am a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel.  I served for over 25 years.  I did that to defend the Constitution, as per my oath, and the country. 

What Kap did was not to disrespect the flag, but to call attention to racial injustice that was a stain on our country.  I applaud him for that.  I applaud him for taking an unpopular stand for something he felt was very important.  Every time someone does something that forces us to recognize a broader interpretation of our rights applies to the new situation, those rights become stronger, and therefore our country becomes stronger. 

I understand that many people view the ceremony of the national anthem played before football games as being patriotic, and that it's unpatriotic not to play along.  I respect that opinion but I disagree with it.  My view is that having the national anthem played before sporting events actually degrades the anthem, and turns it into a little part of a much more important event, the football game or hockey game or whatever, which is really crazy.  We turn the anthem into something no more important than the coin toss or car commercials.  The anthem should be protected from this bit role and left for situations where it's taken seriously as the most important part of the event. 

When we start playing the anthem before movies in theaters, or plays, or operas, or concerts, let me know.   It belongs at those events just as much as it belongs at sporting events, which is to say, it doesn't belong at any of them.

The flag is a symbol of our country, but it's not the same thing as our country.  Given the choice of honoring the Constitution or the flag, it's no choice at all.  The Constitution is the most important thing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

Of course it's not the same, and it's appalling

But that hasn't happened in over 150 years. And we will never move past it if we never move forward. The vast majority of white Americans today did not have descendants that were slave owners

We will be stuck in 1865 if we never move forward as a society.

We take two steps Forward and 3 steps back all the time. And it just keeps us spinning in circles

Edited by Buffalo716

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Of course it's not the same, and it's appalling

But that hasn't happened in over 150 years. And we will never move past it if we never move forward. The vast majority of white Americans today did not have descendants that were slave owners

We will be stuck in 1865 if we never move forward as a society.

We take two steps Forward and 3 steps back all the time. And it just keeps us spinning in circles

First of all I was making an analogy. Yes we are no longer being whipped by slave owners but what does that correlate to today? There are many ways that we have continually been "whipped" in the 150 years since. And we dont all have to have had that personal experience of dealing with extreme racism to have witnessed it or know it exist and feel some type of way about it. Meanwhile, what historically can white people say we have done to them to deserve the amount of hatred we receive from the racists on their side?

1865? Are you educated on what came to follow after slavery ended? The laws set in place to continually oppress people of color? Then after the overt laws were repealed, the covert laws and systems set in place after that to continue the oppression? It's easy for the people who don't deal with this to ignore it and make themselves believe it doesn't exist. And where do you get the idea that the "vast majority of white Americans today did not have descendants that were slave owners" ??? Did they die off I'm some point? Im confused why you believe that "vast majority" statement.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, StHustle said:

First of all I was making an analogy. Yes we are no longer being whipped by slave owners but what does that correlate to today? There are many ways that we have continually been "whipped" in the 150 years since. And we dont all have to have had that personal experience of dealing with extreme racism to have witnessed it or know it exist and feel some type of way about it. Meanwhile, what historically can white people say we have done to them to deserve the amount of hatred we receive from the racists on their side?

1865? Are you educated on what came to follow after slavery ended? The laws set in place to continually oppress people of color? Then after the overt laws were repealed, the covert laws and systems set in place after that to continue the oppression? It's easy for the people who don't deal with this to ignore it and make themselves believe it doesn't exist. And where do you get the idea that the "vast majority of white Americans today did not have descendants that were slave owners" ??? Did they die off I'm some point? Im confused why you believe that "vast majority" statement.

I have a history degree, it's my passion

And yes I totally get what happened after slavery. I'm not ignorant to it and it's terrible, but you specifically talked about slave owners laughing about beating slaves

And I say the vast majority because not even close to 50% of white families owned slaves in america. In the South about 35% of white families were slave owners. Some states were higher like 45 50%, but averaged it's about 35%

Then when you include the northern states which abolished slavery early, the percentage of total White's all across America who owned slaves is under 15%. The free states had double the population

then you add all the millions and millions of whites who immigrated here post-slavery. And you get tons of white families that have never owned slaves. I'm a second-generation American , I didn't even have family here in 1865

And in no way am I trying to stick up for slavery and the antebellum South, it's gross sick and an abomination

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He pointed out that Drew Brees had options for how to respond, including options that would express his personal beliefs while respecting his teammates different experience.

Do you feel that's a problem?

Obviously, since Drew Brees isn't here, he didn't literally tell "another man what to say and how to act" but he did express an opinion about it.  I think that's allowed; it seems common enough.

Drew Brees expressed an opinion.

Other people had a reaction to it - pissed them off mostly - and they expressed theirs.  That is how it works - in this country. 

The real frustration it seemed to me listening to some of the players reactions is that they thought they moved the needle enough for the majority of the public to understand that kneeling was about police brutality and not disrespecting the military.  They certainly expected their white teammates to understand that at the very least.  

They look at Brees as no dummy and rightfully question why he suddenly brings this up now during a time of heated racial strife in this country and not three years ago when the kneeling controversy began.  I think Brees knew all this blowback would come and that he would have to issue an apology.  The apology would quell some of his teammates reservations so he could play with them another year and also allow the right to claim he was a poor victim of the "woke/pc" culture.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ran for office as a Republican when he retires.

Nate Boyer told Kap to take a knee to bring awareness to an issue that affects the African American community more than any other community. 

It’s been regurgitated over and over that kneeling during the national anthem is not to disrespect the military but to bring awareness to a situation where unarmed black men and women are being killed by police and it gets swept under the rug. 

It’s the same demographic that has the issue and it has nothing to do with the military or the flag that’s just an easy cover up for their true intentions. It’s shut up ***** and play football .......that’s what they really want to say.......they’re disrespecting the flag, military, etc. is just a bs cover up for what they really wanna say. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Drew Brees has done a lot of good things. I don’t believe Drew Brees is a good person. Those things aren’t the same. He’s charitable. He’s a phony. Those are both true. He just had a rare misstep in the public eye. He accidentally showed everyone who he is. He’s done that a few times (suing his mom, Focus on Family, anthem protest). This isn’t “out of character” for Brees; this is who he is. He usually just is better at protecting his image.

I'm glad you're a mind-reader. Hate to play cards with you.

A man isn't allowed to have his principles just because they don't agree with yours? That's such baloney and you hardly notice your own lack of intellectual dishonesty.

Here's what a phony looks like: people who say they love to the community but never give to it, people who say they are for helping the poor but donate their salaries, people who say the government should be more proactive to help others but hire accountants to shield their income

He's not saying one thing and doing another on the same topic, that would be a phony. You just don't know the difference yet.

9 hours ago, SDS said:

How’s this… If Drew Brees doesn’t want people to respond at what an asshat he is then he should phrase things differently or keep things to himself. He has a right to his opinion. When he shares his opinion because he wants other people to hear said opinion then other people have the right to respond.

I don't think he's against people responding, but they using morality to shame him. The same could be said of his response, fair enough, but he never told people to shut up and the media used as mob came to his defense to the point of shaming an apology. See the difference?

The difference is Brees can say what he wants, people can respond, but when people use fake moral outrage (what he said had nothing to do with race) to shame people into a position he never said or endorsed is wicked and should be called out. Jenkins is an idiot. Jenkins used the masterful art of mind-reading to explain what Brees "really meant" and then told him to shut the F up.

The media, instead of being fair, and social media which is always a group of hyenas should have showed Jenkins position as illogical about Brees's comments. Nope, Jenkins is right because of Brees bad timing and everything he said was logical and Brees is wrong because "feelings" maaaaan.

If you guys are not aware I am a black man living in America. I was always taught when a police officer pulls you over, roll all your windows down and keep your hands on the dash and the steering wheel........never reach in your glove compartment for your registration or in your back pocket for your wallet to get your license. When the officer asks for your license and registration you tell the officer.....my license is in my wallet in my back pocket and my registration is in my glove compartment.......is ok if I reach to get my wallet ......is it ok if it’s reach to get my registration. This is something I have to eventually teach my kids when they start driving.........how many people in here were taught this around 15-16 years old?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

If you guys are not aware I am a black man living in America. I was always taught when a police officer pulls you over, roll all your windows down and keep your hands on the dash and the steering wheel........never reach in your glove compartment for your registration or in your back pocket for your wallet to get your license. When the officer asks for your license and registration you tell the officer.....my license is in my wallet in my back pocket and my registration is in my glove compartment.......is ok if I reach to get my wallet ......is it ok if it’s reach to get my registration. This is something I have to eventually teach my kids when they start driving.........how many people in here were taught this around 15-16 years old?

I had to learn all that stuff on my own. However, that’s exactly what I do, but I do that for a different reason. I don’t worry about being shot, I am looking to be overly polite and hope to get off with a warning. 

• Like (+1) 6

51 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I read this comment in response to an editorial on a news services board earlier.  When I read your comment I thought it might be appropriate to paste here.  I found it insightful and thought others here might too. 

"The author obviously thinks racial prejudice is the cause of the police abuses that he described, including ones that he personally suffered. But other than donating money to black organizations and spending money patronizing black owned businesses, all he really prescribes is a combination of going through the motions of pontificating social equality to others while not violating it yourself.

I believe that NOTHING he prescribes will be effective to end or substantially reduce the police abuses he described. That is because he falsely believes that racism is the cause of those abuses. Racial bias is undoubtedly often (but not always) the motivation of cops who abuse blacks. But it is not the cause. The cause is that which allows and facilitates cops to act on their racial biases. All the racial bias in the world will not harm a single black person if the biased person does not act on his racial bias.

The real cause of the abuse by cops against citizens of all colors (though disproportionately against persons who are black or brown) is that cops are essentially above the law. Cops know they are above the law and thus the only thing that restrains them from acting on their prejudices or any other bad motive is their personal ethics and conscience. Unfortunately, many cops have no personal ethics or conscience. And even the "good" cops who don't themselves abuse citizens nevertheless refuse to report or testify against the cops who do abuse (so, how "good" are they really?). Indeed, they often lie for the abuser cops to protect them.

Cops are above the law because:

1) The government has made a different law for police than for all the rest of us, a law which essentially gives them license to abuse and murder citizens simply by mouthing words similar to "I thought he was reaching for a weapon" with no requirement that such a thought was reasonable under the circumstances.

2) Fellow cops lie to cover up for cops who abuse citizens.

3) Supervisors cover up for cops who abuse citizens.

4) Corrupt prosecutors strive to protect bad cops from prosecution rather than to protect the public from bad cops.

5) Timid jurors fear that police forces will retaliate against the public if they convict cops.

Nothing will change until cops are made subject to the same laws as the rest of us, and until those laws are enforced against cops who violate them. Even if the laws were thus changed, they will never be enforced if left to local prosecutors to enforce them. Every state should establish a special out-of-town state-level prosecutor office that focuses only on prosecuting cops.

You will never get rid of racial prejudice. It has existed since time immemorial nearly everywhere in the world. Trying to change deeply ingrained biases in adults is an angelic pursuit that will prove futile in nearly every attempt. It will be much more effective to focus effort on what people do rather than what they think."

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1