Do we have the Deepest D-Line in the league?

I know they might not be in the top-5 or even top-10 in terms of high end talent (no Von Miller/Myles Garrett type of Freak), but overall I believe we may have the deepest D-Line in the league.

As a base defense, With everyone healthy, we can make two starting caliber defensive lines and have a starting caliber player as my 9th defensive lineman...

Group 1:

LDE: Epenesa

1-Tech: Phillips

3-Tech: Oliver

RDE: Hughes

Group 2:

LDE: Murphy

1-Tech: Lotulelei

3-Tech: Jefferson

RDE: Addison

Extras: Butler & D. Johnson

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t get the Phillips love. I’ve seen it a bunch on here. Butler or Star will start with Oliver. Whoever doesn’t will get the other side of an almost 50-50 split. Phillips has accomplished nothing, looked small and overmatch, and is coming off a serious injury. I get that Phillips looks like Kyle and is all Bills Mafia and stuff, but they did not sign Butler to be a third string depth player. That’s Harrison Phillips. 

Edit: And I really like Phillips and would not count him out, but penciling him in as a starter at the 1 tech on a team with Butler and Star, and coming off a major injury just makes no sense.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's probably a good thing because KC, DEN,  LVR, LAR, ARI, and SFO games will be track meets.  Especially in Western time zone and heat, good to play D Line in waves.

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don’t get the Phillips love. I’ve seen it a bunch on here. Butler or Star will start with Oliver. Whoever doesn’t will get the other side of an almost 50-50 split. Phillips has accomplished nothing, looked small and overmatch, and is coming off a serious injury. I get that Phillips looks like Kyle and is all Bills Mafia and stuff, but they did not sign Butler to be a third string depth player. That’s Harrison Phillips. 

Butler signed as backup at 3T and 1T.  What no one is saying is where is Harrison Philips on his recovery from knee surgery.  If not ready, Butler is ahead on depth chart.  If ready, that will be an interesting camp battle.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

It's probably a good thing because KC, DEN,  LVR, LAR, ARI, and SFO games will be track meets.  Especially in Western time zone and heat, good to play D Line in waves.

Butler signed as backup at 3T and 1T.  What no one is saying is where is Harrison Philips on his recovery from knee surgery.  If not ready, Butler is ahead on depth chart.  If ready, that will be an interesting camp battle.

Butler will compete with Star to start. Phillips, if healthy, will compete with Vincent Taylor for a job. He’s just not in the mix imo.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Edit: And I really like Phillips and would not count him out, but penciling him in as a starter at the 1 tech on a team with Butler and Star, and coming off a major injury just makes no sense.

The only thing I agree with is that, due to injury, he won't start right away, and it may take him a while to work back into the rotation.

Other than that, I disagree. Last year, before he got injured, it was clear as day that he was outplaying Star at 1T. I fully believe that, had he not been injured, he was going to overtake the lion's share of reps and the "starter" designation from Star. Not only was he doing his job well and occupying multiple blockers and defending the run well, he was also collapsing the pocket at times and getting great penetration. His injury happening when it did was a real shame.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Butler will compete with Star to start. Phillips, if healthy, will compete with Vincent Taylor for a job. He’s just not in the mix imo.

I thought Harrison Philips outplayed Star early last year and was getting more snaps at 1T then Star when he got hurt.  Injury will determine how much Harrison Philips plays.  Vince Taylor is JAG.  See them keeping 5 DTs.  Oliver, Jefferson, Star, Butler and Harrison Philips.  

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that it's very deep. 3 starting caliber DEs, 3 starting caliber DTs, 2 rotational DEs, and 2 rotational DTs.  However, I think we have 1 above average player in Ed Oliver. The rest are all average, including Hughes and Addison as this point in their career. Epenesa is an unknown.  So yes this is a deep group, but with very little above average talent.

3 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I thought Harrison Philips outplayed Star early last year and was getting more snaps at 1T then Star when he got hurt.  Injury will determine how much Harrison Philips plays.  Vince Taylor is JAG.  See them keeping 5 DTs.  Oliver, Jefferson, Star, Butler and Harrison Philips.  

I agree with who they keep, but I’ve never really been impressed with what I have seen from Harrison. I hope he breaks out this year but right now he is 5-6 on the depth chart and I keep seeing people pencil him in as a starter so I am just trying to understand their thinking.  

6 minutes ago, JP's Voice said:

I agree that it's very deep. 3 starting caliber DEs, 3 starting caliber DTs, 2 rotational DEs, and 2 rotational DTs.  However, I think we have 1 above average player in Ed Oliver. The rest are all average, including Hughes and Addison as this point in their career. Epenesa is an unknown.  So yes this is a deep group, but with very little above average talent.

A little harshly stated, but I understand your point.  It's a good group but not with much upper echelon players.  But as can be seen by the depth and investment it looks quite unlikely that they would add Clowney.

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think you should rewatch the first 3 games last year. You might feel differently.  He was playing really well at the time of his injury imo.  If it weren’t for his injury I feel that he’d be starting next to Ed 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree with who they keep, but I’ve never really been impressed with what I have seen from Harrison. I hope he breaks out this year but right now he is 5-6 on the depth chart and I keep seeing people pencil him in as a starter so I am just trying to understand their thinking.  

He was injured early last season but before the injury it looked like he had made a leap from Season 1 to 2..

I expect him to get plenty of playing time early this year and take over Star’s position mid season..

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I know they might not be in the top-5 or even top-10 in terms of high end talent (no Von Miller/Myles Garrett type of Freak), but overall I believe we may have the deepest D-Line in the league.

As a base defense, With everyone healthy, we can make two starting caliber defensive lines and have a starting caliber player as my 9th defensive lineman...

Group 1:

LDE: Epenesa

1-Tech: Phillips

3-Tech: Oliver

RDE: Hughes

Group 2:

LDE: Murphy

1-Tech: Lotulelei

3-Tech: Jefferson

RDE: Addison

Extras: Butler & D. Johnson

Our DL depth is fantastic.  I can't remember a time when it was better.

But let me ask, Addison doesn't start?   The guy's had 39 sacks in the past 4 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Harry was a 3rd Round Pick, great college player who started playing really well in his snaps last year before getting hurt.  

If healthy, he definitely seems like he’s in the DT rotation.  

26 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He was far more disruptive than Star before going down. Proof was in reps, he was on the field more than Star.  He's definitely in the mix and if health, will start. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JP's Voice said:

This is what I think the thought process is- keep them rotating and fresh because we do not have any ends who this  year will compete with the Watt brothers.