RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I rest my case after the best offense just got B slapped by a great D in the SB. Draft D Line or Oline. It starts up front. 

So we can ignore that the number one defense lost to the number one offense earlier in the playoffs. Ok...whatever supports your stance.

We get star back next year and that addition will raise the level of play with the players we already have on defense. It will allow Oliver to eat from star taking up doubles. That opens up a lot for our pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

So we can ignore that the number one defense lost to the number one offense earlier in the playoffs. Ok...whatever supports your stance.

We get star back next year and that addition will raise the level of play with the players we already have on defense. It will allow Oliver to eat from star taking up doubles. That opens up a lot for our pass rush. 

I’d still like to see the Bills draft 2 more DL. Pro days are going to be crucial. Wanna see what type of condition Tyler Shelvin is in. At 30 if Zaven Collins isn’t there, Daviyon Nixon is another intriguing prospect.

28 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Have you seen Star play?  He does not take on double teams and doesn't open things up for anyone.   I have the clips to prove it,  dozens of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Have you seen Star play?  He does not take on double teams and doesn't open things up for anyone.   I have the clips to prove it,  dozens of them. 

Yeah, Star is like a backup qb right now. Unfortunately we don't have anyone that makes the players around him better in the front 7. We do need at least one if we're going to contend at the highest levels. Don't think epenesa is that guy either.

48 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yeah, Star is like a backup qb right now. Unfortunately we don't have anyone that makes the players around him better in the front 7. We do need at least one if we're going to contend at the highest levels. Don't think epenesa is that guy either.

Epenesa showed flashes this year. I think he’ll be decent. Star is very overrated. don’t understand the love affair with him

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Star seems to be the hope of the offseason. It’s very strange. He’s an average at best player that people seem to think is some sort of all pro future HOFer. 

If anything it will allow guys to not play out of position like they had to this year. Star is not a world beater but we definitely missed him this year. 

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

I rest my case after the best offense just got B slapped by a great D in the SB. Draft D Line or Oline. It starts up front. 

Losing Fisher late against us , with Scwartz already down,  really messed up the Chiefs ability to protect.  They got abused tonight. 

Thought this was a much bigger story going in that nobody talked about. 

A big reason I bet TB and the under🤑

6 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

If anything it will allow guys to not play out of position like they had to this year. Star is not a world beater but we definitely missed him this year. 

He's a huge part of this specific scheme though. There's a reason he was one of our 1st and most expensive FA acquisition from our front office.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Star seems to be the hope of the offseason. It’s very strange. He’s an average at best player that people seem to think is some sort of all pro future HOFer. 

On top of that, this should have been the year to cut Star.  The opt out makes him the off season problem.   

Hes Beane's biggest mistake by a wide margin. 

On 2/7/2021 at 8:42 PM, ScottLaw said:

I don’t think anyone believes Star is the “answer” but he is a free asset that comes back into the fold without losing, trading, or spending anything. And, he’s better at NT than what they had in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t think anyone believes Star is the “answer” but he is a free asset that comes back into the fold without losing, trading, or spending anything. And, he’s better at NT than what they had in 2020. 

How can Star be a "free asset" when he carries a cap hit of $7.6M (fully guaranteed) and can not be cut without incurring an additional cap hit, totaling $12.3M?

Perhaps you mean "an asset we've already committed to so no additional cost"?

I think Epenesa surprises this year.  He was starting to flash at end of year.  No real offseason program and the weight thing was a little bizarre but he did what they asked him to do.  I could see him being a good rotational guy in 2021.  Good enough to drop a higher priced vet and use the money elsewhere.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I still think this was the wrong pick and should have been JK Dobbins like I wanted. 

We wouldn't have a glaring need at RB right now. 

Nobody complained about that because we got moss in the Third and we knew that we needed a replacement at defense end

But a couple of things happened along the way there Singleterry under performed in Moss got hurt

AJE played well in spots and didn’t get on the field until later in the year the hope is Espinoza gets better in his second here

Give me Naji Harris and it’s all forgiven

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Nobody complained about that because we got moss in the Third and we knew that we needed a replacement at defense end

But a couple of things happened along the way there Singleterry under performed in Moss got hurt

AJE played well in spots and didn’t get on the field until later in the year the hope is Espinoza gets better in his second here

Give me Naji Harris and it’s all forgiven

To me its now a waste however. 

Epenesa to me wasn't great last year and Dobbins would have filled the RB need that we glaringly have. 

Now we still have a RB need and have to hope Harris is there. Instead we could have had Dobbins, and use our 1st this year to select a quality player to fill a different need. 

• Agree 1

I think Moss gives us what we need at RB next year.  He’s not gonna break any long runs, but he can catch, block, and get you tough yards.  Maybe take a chance on a guy like Marlin Mack who’s coming back from an injury.  I don’t think drafting Dobbins would’ve moved the needle very much and I still think Epenesa could blossom.  

On 2/8/2021 at 5:01 AM, billieve420 said:

We missed Star not because he is great, he's not. He is an average starting NFL 1 tech. But we missed him because the drop off is significant behind him. For most of the season Harrison Phillips was awful, though he played better the last 3 or 4 games and the other guys were all 3 techs playing out of position. 

13 minutes ago, DJB said:

To me its now a waste however. 

Epenesa to me wasn't great last year and Dobbins would have filled the RB need that we glaringly have.

PSA that in the opinion of some who spend a lot of time watching film, no running back could have filled the run game need we so glaringly have unless they somehow managed to persuade the line, TE etc to run block better in front of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1