How does COVID-19 Change Our World?

Augie

I remember a lady who hired me to a bank in 1993 who would not shake hands. She would cross her hands on her chest and give a little bow. Some people thought she was a nut job, but she actually was a genius.

Will a handshake ever become the common gesture again?  How soon does it come back, if ever?  Does that EVER happen? How soon before you want to cram into a stadium with 65k strangers?  

The world is going to change in a lot of ways, many of which we can’t even foresee at this point. Amazon is soaring, while other sectors are suffering, some more than others. “Virtual business” will replace a lot of travel with airfare, restaurants and hotels.  Zoom surges as Delta and  Marriott struggle mightily. 

I’m curious about your thoughts, where do you see this going? How does this change our lives?  The world as we know it will change forever going forward. 

The crisis is now, what does the future look like? 

PS.    I’m an optimist, we always bounce back. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hmm, well in the short term everyone that lives in an urban area will check their toilet before squaring! No restaurants , no food I guess

@DCOrange, read this thread , in North Columbia Heights! BTW PoPVille an essential follow for you now !

Why do you do this to me? I've been nothing but nice to you!

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Perhaps I’m a Luddite, but I refuse to live in fear and I plan to return 100% to pre Covid behavior. 

Yeah. Me too once a vaccine is made.

I don't think people who weren't already germophobes will suddenly become germophobes. Different strains of sars and flu will always pop their head up, though.

I think society as a whole was already heading down the path of minimal physical contact, so this will accelerate that a little.

• Like (+1) 1

Shaking hands really is a disgusting ritual.  I'd never given it a thought until this pandemic happened.  But, really ... it's a pretty unsanitary practice.

I think a lot of people will wear masks, even post-vaccine.  I think people will be socially distant more consciously.  I had to rearrange my office so no one sits closer than 6 ft. away from any co-worker.  I can see that sticking ... which will be problematic, long-term.

My hope is that a significant number of people in our country accept that this is a game-changer and that viruses aren't political creatures.

My fear is that a more significant number of people in our country will dig in, interpret it as an opportunity for government to take away our civil rights, and end up refusing to keep themselves and others safe just to say, "ain't no one tellin' me how to live my life."

When one would think something like this would bring the country together, it's been divisive. Unfortunately, it's a sign of the times and a sign of the current state of our country/federal government.

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hmm, well in the short term everyone that lives in an urban area will check their toilet before squaring! No restaurants , no food I guess

@DCOrange, read this thread , in North Columbia Heights! BTW PoPVille an essential follow for you now !

Regarding "NEED TO MOVE" (also need to know how to turn off cap lock):

In some areas of country they are preventing sales / rentals due to possibility of large number of people visiting place and touching items leaving viruses behind.  My brother has properties in NC he cannot rent or sell.

I have a friend who is renting a room in an place and the other two renters are acting like this is all fake news and media spin. 

He is very vulnerable and cannot move due to restrictions.

Other Impacts:

In state of Virginia there are businesses which are open which are certainly not essential while others are forced to shutdown. 

This type of disparity with it repeating every time there is an outbreak will certainly affect small business climate.

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Perhaps I’m a Luddite, but I refuse to live in fear and I plan to return 100% to pre Covid behavior. 

I have to say it depends on what the new normal is, with regards to Corona/Covid. If it still presents a real threat, then I will adjust my behavior quite a bit.  But if the chances of catching this specific virus decline to levels low enough where the disease isn't on everyone's mind, I'll probably go about my business very similarly to how I did before this little crisis. I prefer to greet close friends with a handshake or even a hug/kiss.

But in the short term, after restrictions are first lifted, I imagine my behavior will still be in semi-quarantine mode.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I have to say it depends on what the new normal is, with regards to Corona/Covid. If it still presents a real threat, then I will adjust my behavior quite a bit.  But if the chances of catching this specific virus decline to levels low enough where the disease isn't on everyone's mind, I'll probably go about my business very similarly to how I did before this little crisis. I prefer to greet close friends with a handshake or even a hug/kiss.

But in the short term, after restrictions are first lifted, I imagine my behavior will still be in semi-quarantine mode.

We will eventually let almost everything go back to normal. I too like to shake everyone’s hand and give close people a hug. The lady who hired me without shaking hands made me wonder about all this. Shaking hands makes as much sense as wearing a tie. We do it.............just because that’s what we’ve always done. The difference is, I don’t need to worry about what your tie has been up to. 

Shaking hands will take a while to come back for me. It was customary and polite, but it never really made sense form a practical standpoint. IF we HAVE a season, I’m more likely to watch all the games from home. I’ll go back as soon as it makes sense, but I think people will be more reluctant to attend, at least for a while. We have tickets to a couple concerts later this year. IF they happen, I’ll give it a second thought. How long does that take to change? 

Long run, not shaking hands will be more easily accepted and forgiven. My old boss and Howie Mandel will no longer seem so strange. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Shaking hands will take a while to come back for me. It was customary and polite, but it never really made sense form a practical standpoint. IF we HAVE a season, I’m more likely to watch all the games from home. 

1) Shakings Hands makes perfect sense from a practical standpoint, back when you wanted to know the dude across from you was not gunna grab his sword and  eviserate you. Agree, think it is gone for good. 

2) I got $100 you will be at the opener. 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Most definitely

I was disgusted by that when I first heard of it many years ago....

Yea... not something that ever enticed me either. Some kid will watch a video of that ritual in 2050 and it will be akin to us seeing old clips of women smoking and drinking while pregnant. 

Im loving these acoustic shows music artists are putting on from home.  I’m thinking there will be more remote concerts available and some company will figure out a way to monopolize it and ruin it. 

5 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

but I refuse to live in fear

No wonder you drove a murderer in the backseat..............

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Call Brunswick.  No more tenpin 'alley balls' for me.  I don't know what this will mean for 5 pin, where 99% of bowlers use the lane's balls.  ?

How does a true Buffalo Bills fan NOT have their very own bowling ball? 

Folks have been talking about this may generate cultural differences in the years ahead, like going to a Japanese style where people who don't know each other do not touch each either while greeting.

Some have suggested the casual hug is now dead, and so on.

I disagree with all of that.  People have extremely short memories.

Eventually, COVID 19 will be a thing of the past, the same way no one was talking about SARS a year ago or the Swine Flu.  

And people will continue to shake hands and huggers will continue to hug.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Shaking hands really is a disgusting ritual.  I'd never given it a thought until this pandemic happened.  But, really ... it's a pretty unsanitary practice.

It was always something I just did for so long without giving it a thought. Now? No way it treat it like I used to, and this can be a good excuse. We had an electrician here yesterday. A couple months ago I would have just stuck my hand out when opening the door. I wonder if/when that goes back to the old ways. I know we have short memories, but this is something that is probably better if it just goes away.

My wife works for a company with over 50k employees and they currently have 91% working from home. It’s been bumpy, but they got on it early and it’s just working fine. I wonder if she will be flying 3 weeks/month in the future as she has in the past? When does that come back, and how much do they continue to use virtual options to save time and money? Flights and hotels in Manhattan or Boston plus meals add up over a year. How much do we learn form this? 

It’s not always just about being afraid of the virus. Some of what I expect is just finding better ways. Don’t do things just because we always did it that way. For example, use the new technology available to see better ways to do things, like more working from home and less business travel. Happier conditions while saving time and money. 

Edited by Augie

I forget where I saw it, but someone quipped:

"For years, politicians have told us if we aren't earning enough money we should quit eating out, going to shows, and buying so many things.  Now that we've stopped, the economy has tanked and they're telling us to start up again"

It's a good question whether spending patterns and also travel patterns (for business) will resume their previous levels.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) Shakings Hands makes perfect sense from a practical standpoint, back when you wanted to know the dude across from you was not gunna grab his sword and  eviserate you. Agree, think it is gone for good. 

2) I got $100 you will be at the opener. 

1) Considering the crowd you hang with, you may want to just continue shaking hands.   :)

2) You may very well be correct. Things may look completely different in 2-3 months. It’s hard to tell now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, unless this thing turns into a biblical-level disaster, not much will change permanently, at least once we have a vaccine and/or herd immunity.  We may see a bit of shifting with small businesses and restaurants going out of business and starting up for a bit.

The one change that I expect (and hope for) is a global mitigation strategy and extensive cooperation to prevent this from happening for the next 100 years )until humans forget that this is a threat again).    At the very least, locally in the US we develop a better store of emergency equipment and a better tracing/tracing/technological strategy.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It was always something I just did for so long without giving it a thought. Now? No way it treat it like I used to, and this can be a good excuse. We had an electrician here yesterday. A couple months ago I would have just stuck my hand out when opening the door. I wonder if/when that goes back to the old ways. I know we have short memories, but this is something that is probably better if it just goes away.

My wife works for a company with over 50k employees and they currently have 91% working from home. It’s been bumpy, but they got on it early and it’s just working fine. I wonder if she will be flying 3 weeks/month in the future as she has in the past? When does that come back, and how much do they continue to use virtual options to save time and money? Flights and hotels in Manhattan or Boston plus meals add up over a year. How much do we learn form this? 

I am a hand-shaker, by nature.  I extend my hand whenever I meet anyone and whenever I see anyone.  I'm done.

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am a hand-shaker, by nature.  I extend my hand whenever I meet anyone and whenever I see anyone.  I'm done.

It’s a natural reflex! I have to fight to keep from sticking my hand out because it’s been engrained for so long. The electrician yesterday made it easier because he showed up at the door dressed like he was visiting Chernobyl with the mask, gloves and paper booties. But I STILL almost stuck my hand out. 

I’m telling on myself here, but while I’m am shaking your hand I am simultaneously forgetting your name....I just suck with names. Multi-tasking! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My wife works for a company with over 50k employees and they currently have 91% working from home. It’s been bumpy, but they got on it early and it’s just working fine. I wonder if she will be flying 3 weeks/month in the future as she has in the past? When does that come back, and how much do they continue to use virtual options to save time and money? Flights and hotels in Manhattan or Boston plus meals add up over as year. How much do we learn form this? 

I seem to recall a commercial from back in the 70s or perhaps early 80s for one of the airlines, where the fictional boss of a company calls a meeting, saying the company has lost touch with the customer base by relying on phone calls to connect.  He then starts handing out assignments and plane tickets.  Very self serving for the airlines, but that was advertising.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I seem to recall a commercial from back in the 70s or perhaps early 80s for one of the airlines, where the fictional boss of a company calls a meeting, saying the company has lost touch with the customer base by relying on phone calls to connect.  He then starts handing out assignments and plane tickets.  Very self serving for the airlines, but that was advertising.

I remember that one.

There was also one with the mom who drops off the kid at daycare, gets on a plane, goes to a meeting, gets on a plane again, and picks up the kid in the evening just like a normal day.  I worked with a women who absolutely loved that commercial. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

I remember that one.

There was also one with the mom who drops off the kid at daycare, gets on a plane, goes to a meeting, gets on a plane again, and picks up the kid in the evening just like a normal day.  I worked with a women who absolutely loved that commercial. 

Yikes! Sometimes flight delays result in my wife coming home on the wrong DAY! 

I’m hoping the video conferencing becomes more of a thing. She’s doing it daily now, replacing what used to be trips. It’s a big issue with the compliance people that you use the right services. Things like Zoom have not been approved because you can’t discuss client info, bank strategy, etc if it can be (EDIT: easily) hacked. But there are approved, (more) secure methods and getting used to doing it this way is great if it sticks and makes travel more selective.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Well, with the way 2020 has been going so far, next up I expect some extreme drastic changes in the weather. For instance right now it's about 40 degrees out and snowing, right? In the next few weeks as corona dies down around 1st or 2nd week of May it's probably going to be about 190 degrees out with frogs falling from the skies.

Then as the summer growing season kicks off plagues of locusts oughta start showing up.

And by the middle of summer we should expect to see those four dudes riding steeds of fire across the skies.

That's my vision of the post corona world we got going on here 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Then there would be no video-conference..everything can be hacked

Very true, but some are safer than others they have determined. It sure is a less expensive and less disruptive way to do things. In person meetings don’t need to be as routine as they used to be, IMO. Still, it beats moving to NYC! That was the other option and was NOT going to happen! 

The technology is there, embrace it! 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Very true, but some are safer than others they have determined. It sure is a less expensive and less disruptive way to do things. In person meetings don’t need to be as routine as they used to be, IMO. Still, it beats moving to NYC! That was the other option and was NOT going to happen! 

The technology is there, embrace it! 

I have been using web meetings since truly 2000. Back then it was strictly screen sharing. Intro demo's and the like have been online for at least the last decade. But from a enterprise software sales perspective, nothing beats in person. Online, i cant read body language, cant tell when people are bored to tears and we are missing the mark so lets stop and ask why etc. 

Also harder to gather true feedback from your sponsor/coach, so often done either right after demo in his/her office, or at happy hour 30 minutes after demo. And yes, i try to schedule demo's to end late afternoon...I do my best info gathering when we both have a few pops!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have been using web meetings since truly 2000. Back then it was strictly screen sharing. Intro demo's and the like have been online for at least the last decade. But from a enterprise software sales perspective, nothing beats in person. Online, i cant read body language, cant tell when people are bored to tears and we are missing the mark so lets stop and ask why etc. 

Also harder to gather true feedback from your sponsor/coach, so often done either right after demo in his/her office, or at happy hour 30 minutes after demo. And yes, i try to schedule demo's to end late afternoon...I do my best info gathering when we both have a few pops!!!!

This is all strictly internal stuff.  I agree though, in person is always better....... but not always necessary for routine stuff. I can’t complain about the skymiles, though! 

Edited by Augie

39 minutes ago, Talkin Proud said:

Well, with the way 2020 has been going so far, next up I expect some extreme drastic changes in the weather. For instance right now it's about 40 degrees out and snowing, right? In the next few weeks as corona dies down around 1st or 2nd week of May it's probably going to be about 190 degrees out with frogs falling from the skies.

Then as the summer growing season kicks off plagues of locusts oughta start showing up.

And by the middle of summer we should expect to see those four dudes riding steeds of fire across the skies.

That's my vision of the post corona world we got going on here 

? Let my people goooooooooooo!?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

We have had meetings with two screens for over a decade.  One screen for the PowerPoint, the other screen for seeing the audience. The screens are quite large, so several people in each location can comfortably attend the meetings.  It gets a little messy when there are more than two locations calling in at once, but it usually goes ok.  We used some sort of expensive business communication package which was supposed to be hard to hack. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you have an athletic subscription, there’s an interesting article with Sabres head coach Ralph Krueger from the beginning of March (before the NHL stopped playing games) where he mentioned some ways he thought covid could change things. It’s an interesting interview.

https://theathletic.com/1665553/2020/03/09/as-global-markets-sound-alarms-ralph-krueger-forecasts-paradigm-shift-in-society/

(just FYI, they’re offering a free 90 day trial for new customers right now)

“There is a possibility this will affect travel for a generation,” Krueger said. “It will affect globalization for a generation. It will affect many different areas of our economy and of our social behavior.

“For instance, three kisses on the cheek in Switzerland was the norm (for greetings). I spoke to my son and his wife yesterday and they said it’s just stopped. A social interaction that has been there for centuries stopped on the dime, and (my daughter-in-law) thinks it’ll never return.

“For me, one thing I at 60 years of age can see is that this will be a paradigm shift in society. There will be a paradigm shift off this in society because all the other sicknesses, the viruses of the past, we weren’t quite globally so connected as now. If you think of the past viruses – they’ve come for centuries and centuries that humans have had these situations – but you see now how somebody from probably every country in the world was in Wuhan in December. Think about that. That’s the reality.”

They they were still playing games at this point:

“If you look at our travel coming up here, we’ve got 14 of the (season’s) last 22 days on the road. Hotels, traveling, buses, airplanes, we’re doing everything that they’re telling people not to do. I’m not a fearmonger at all. I respect the situation, and we need to respect it. That’s what we’re doing right now.”

Knowing what his son has gone through in Europe – games played without fans and games not played at all – Krueger is worried about what might happen when the outbreak expands in North America.

“It’s pretty scary, and I don’t know which way we’re going to move here,” he said. “A lot is going to depend on the spread, but the interesting thing is by making those moves in Europe, they have slowed it down in some of these areas.”

“You do realize the globalization and how interconnected the world is today. It’s insane. Travel has interconnected us all. You look at all of us interacting throughout the world in finance, in tourism and then there’s interdependency (in business). Mercedes can’t build a car anymore in Germany without parts from China. So the interdependency we all have on each other, it’s crazy.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

This needs to be  a temporary change of lifestyle. Please, please,  please do not become "ok" and accept this as the new normal. We need to do what needs to be done in the short term, but be cognizant of your civil liberties and make decisions accordingly. 

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This needs to be  a temporary change of lifestyle. Please, please,  please do not become "ok" and accept this as the new normal. We need to do what needs to be done in the short term, but be cognizant of your civil liberties and make decisions accordingly. 

I always try to be a glass half full guy. With that in mind, I think some good can come out of this. Use more technology when it can replace travel. Listen to the scientists so next time we are more prepared. And certainly, do all that is possible to stockpile what is needed to adequately protect ALL health care workers! 

I’m certainly not for giving up our rights.  I just hope we learn to be smart and understanding enough to protect each other. Spring break and Mardis Gras were ill advised this year.  People should have known that. I hope we can grow from this. This could help us prepare for something even worse. 

• Like (+1) 4