Remember this?

9 hours ago, WhoTom said:

That I don't know. I'm not a mechanic (shadetree or otherwise) but I know a carb when I see one (engine or otherwise ? ) . I just remember reading the engine specs and it was a 350 with a 4-barrel carb.

More than likely a Rochester if the Olds was stock.  Rochester was owned by GM.  If some gear head owned it before you, lord knows.

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

There’s one in Rochester I’ve been driving by for work, at Park and Goodman, on the east side of the city. 

Swab the receiver and buttons on that thing and see what grows in a petri dish.  You'll have organisms fighting each other for supremacy.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:14 AM, Golden Goat said:

aq0cm709g8t21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Even with GPS, I still miss those. I've always thought Google Maps (or someone else) should have a "TripTik" print option.

13 hours ago, Just Jack said:

There’s one in Rochester I’ve been driving by for work, at Park and Goodman, on the east side of the city. 

"Okay, honestly, who still uses a pay phone? I'd rather kiss the Outbreak monkey than use a pay phone."--Marty Deeks, NCIS LA

On 4/12/2020 at 9:44 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Buying smokes out of one of these when I was 15.

1200px-Cigarette_Vending_Machine.jpg

Still around. Though in most places that I've seen, you have to pay the bartender (or cashier) and he/she has to push a button so you can use the machine. Protection against under-age smokers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

ash.jpg

Not to mention the ones in the house that were overflowing by the time all your parents‘ *****-faced friends left the bridge/poker/pinochle party.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:17 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

220px-IBM_Selectric.jpg

I’m so old, Smith Corona was actually my audit client.  Used to require me to summer in Cortland, NY every year!

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2020 at 10:25 PM, apuszczalowski said:

I still have mine in my basement, In the basement at my moms house we still have a Sega Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, Original Playstation, and an Atari 2600. All still work too I believe

I still have the original NES (with duck hunt gun) and original Atari in my basement + games & joysticks/controllers for both.

I’ve thought about trying to hook them up recently, just out of total boredom.

I have a couple really old computers + monitors too (one with a 3.5” floppy drive. I may even have one with a 5 1/4 floppy drive) and a bunch of old electronic supplies and test equipment from my grandpa’a TV repair shop (like old oscilloscopes and some other cool stuff). 

17 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Not to mention the ones in the house that were overflowing by the time all your parents‘ *****-faced friends left the bridge/poker/pinochle party.

Makes me wonder what our kids will say about us when they're 50 :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/12/2020 at 8:46 PM, Augie said:

OUCH! That left a mark! Was that late 60’s early 70s? That made an impression on this young kid! 

1970, ski jumping event in Germany. Broke an ankle. Apparently he's a pretty good artist.  

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Iodine's ugly and dangerous step sister.

We had that in the medicine cabinet. The bottle was probably older than me.  Never used it.  Must have a  great immune system. A little neosporin and a bandaid. Never goy an infected cut.

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Old school credit card machine | Minute by minute

This sat on the desk / table in the office of the service station where I began working in the mid 70s.  Cash was guarded carefully, excess amounts stashed in the back room, or kept in the floor safe.  The merchant portions of the charge card slips were kept in a Dutch Masters cigar box on the desk mentioned above, available to anyone in the room.  Amazing how susceptible to fraud this same information is today.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

When I bought my first VCR, I had to decided whether to go with Beta or VHS. Good thing I went with VHS. 

Betamax quality is much better though. I'm betting on Beta!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2020 at 3:43 PM, PastaJoe said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ5Lbl0l1VfSlN0F3v98B

When I worked on the F-15 (twin engine) at McDonnell-Douglas, the folks used to refer to the F-16 (single engine) as "lawn darts".

Put them to the test, they said: "go up to 40,000 feet and turn off one engine!"

Hence the lawn dart reference.

4 hours ago, Just Jack said:

When I bought my first VCR, I had to decided whether to go with Beta or VHS. Good thing I went with VHS. 

guy I used to work with went all in on Beta. He got the state of the art Betamax player for like $1000 when it came out!

speaking of, anyone remember going to the video store and you could get the VHS on the shelf or the Beta right behind it? 

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

Betamax quality is much better though. I'm betting on Beta!

That was part of my choice. Beta had the better quality, but a blank VHS tape could do up to 6 hours of recording, versus only 5 for Beta.

23 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

speaking of, anyone remember going to the video store and you could get the VHS on the shelf or the Beta right behind it? 

Yep, locally our second video rental in our small town (Video Voyage) had separate VHS and Beta sections. The first video rental "place" (it was Rite Aid pharmacy) only carried VHS, and only one copy of each movie. 

6 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Or that special catalog they kept under the counter you had to be over 18 to browse

• Like (+1) 1