There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

4 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I have mixed emotions about opening up the workforce again. people who suffer from chronic diseases like hypertension and diabetes are much more susceptible to death by the virus than just a normal healthy person. still need to be very careful. 

Indeed and they should do everything they can to protect themselves and the local, state and federal governments should provide all the resources necessary so that they are better guarded.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ALF said:

California should make Telsa a test case to open . Have pay protection and  pension for family if a worker dies .  I would hate to see another AOC loss of jobs.  

Naaa, they should pack up and leave.  It’s clear that their are many elements of the California government that view corporate entities such as Tesla as a force for evil.   He should go somewhere that will accept them with open arms and embrace their innovation.

California and New York have too many loons with outsized voices and influence and these businesses are at risk if they continue to do business in these states.  Even though Bernie didn’t win the nomination, he did win the minds and hearts of progressives.    It will only get worse moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

Naaa, they should pack up and leave.  It’s clear that their are many elements of the California government that view corporate entities such as Tesla as a force for evil.   He should go somewhere that will accept them with open arms and embrace their innovation.

California and New York have too many loons with outsized voices and influence and these businesses are at risk if they continue to do business in these states.  Even though Bernie didn’t win the nomination, he did win the minds and hearts of progressives.    It will only get worse moving forward.

Correct! Can you imagine that they don’t want a guy making electric cars? The Left is wound up so tight being ‘concerned’ about EVERYTHING that they don’t know which concern to prioritize. Hilarious!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Magox said:

:lol:

Bravo Elon!

We are staring to let people come back to the o office on a voluntary basis starting tomorrow. They have to go through HR and all our offices have to approve it.  I have plenty of space and I have five staff already in private offices and five more client meeting rooms that will not be used in the foreseeable future and an open floor plan to move work stations. So plenty of ability for social distancing.  I’m in Orange County and we have offices in LA, San Diego and Riverside Counties (and other states). This county by county thing is asinine.  Now we’ve been deemed essential so that could be the difference but still.  We have to start getting back to it. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I have mixed emotions about opening up the workforce again. people who suffer from chronic diseases like hypertension and diabetes are much more susceptible to death by the virus than just a normal healthy person. still need to be very careful. 

Some of those people are susceptible to death by doing/eating/drinking things that you and I take for granted.  If they mange their disease regularly they are used to being careful. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

We are staring to let people come back to the o office on a voluntary basis starting tomorrow. They have to go through HR and all our offices have to approve it.  I have plenty of space and I have five staff already in private offices and five more client meeting rooms that will not be used in the foreseeable future and an open floor plan to move work stations. So plenty of ability for social distancing.  I’m in Orange County and we have offices in LA, San Diego and Riverside Counties (and other states). This county by county thing is asinine.  Now we’ve been deemed essential so that could be the difference but still.  We have to start getting back to it. 

Same here in the Inland Empire Chef. I’m hoping my staff start to come back...I think. From what I can tell many have come to prefer working from home. And I know I’ve enjoyed being able to drive on the freeways! 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Same here in the Inland Empire Chef. I’m hoping my staff start to come back...I think. From what I can tell many have come to prefer working from home. And I know I’ve enjoyed being able to drive on the freeways! 

The wife and have taken to diving around SoCal on the empty freeways. Last weekend it was Palm Springs this weekend to Long Beach for a picnic and a walk around Naples Island. I’m going to hate when the traffic comes back. 

5 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

OTOH, my college age daughter is a swim coach for "summer league" here in VA. $4K for the summer. Have about 300 kids during a normal summer.Even if allowed to open, her pool board has decided agaisnt having a team this year as some kids may live in homes where there are high risk folks like you mention, and 1) the kids could be a carrier, and 2) those folks would not be able to watch in person...

So, instead they received a PPP and she is getting paid to do nothing this nothing this summer.

Extend that out to general populace...we would never get back to normal

We as a society have now deemed the needs of the very, very  few greater than the good over the overwhelming vast majority...man what a sad state.

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wife and I have worked out of home for 20 years..not sure what busines you are in, but i think you will productivity pick up..and have much happier team. Forget all that "culture " poop around fee food, beers in office bull crap..things like ability to work from home are real "culture" builders

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Indeed and they should do everything they can to protect themselves and the local, state and federal governments should provide all the resources necessary so that they are better guarded.

I wish the state would do this. Those N95 masks that are so hard to buy? The state should give them (sell them) to doctors and pharmacies. Have the pharmacies distribute them with insulin. Give doctors (especially endocrinologists) cases of them for the most vulnerable. Have some sort of distribution to people who really could use them.

There is no reason the average under-60-year-old needs to be housebound. But, people who are immunocompromised, have diabetes, are over 70, etc should have access an N95 mask (and gloves) that might aid them against contracting COVID-19.  And those people might want to stay home until the summer heat and humidity has a chance to work (for those wondering, there was a slide show at a presser a few weeks back that showed how heat and humidity kills the virus).

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

I wish the state would do this. Those N95 masks that are so hard to buy? The state should give them (sell them) to doctors and pharmacies. Have the pharmacies distribute them with insulin. Give doctors cases of them for the most vulnerable. Have some sort of distribution to people who really could use them.

There is no reason the average under-60-year-old needs to be housebound. But, people who are immunocompromised, have diabetes, are over 70, etc should have access an N95 mask (and gloves) that might aid them against contracting COVID-19.  And those people might want to stay home until the summer heat and humidity has a chance to work (for those wondering, there was a slide show at a presser a few weeks back that showed how heat and humidity kills the virus).

Would you happen to know what the cost of them is now?   I saw on tv they were selling 10 paper masks for $30 plus s&h.  Many seniors can't even afford that

6 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Would you happen to know what the cost of them is now?   I saw on tv they were selling 10 paper masks for $30 plus s&h.  Many seniors can't even afford that

$3 each (plus shipping) would be a pretty good price for N95. We have a bunch (for construction use) and Hubby paid $2 each (he said "under $2" :rolleyes:) for them last year, so a dollar more right now? US made? Not bad.

But, to the point, going to a doctor's office and buying one or two, or stopping in the pharmacy and picking one up with a script? That seems pretty easy.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

$3 each (plus shipping) would be a pretty good price. We have a bunch (for construction use) and Hubby paid $2 each for them last year, so a dollar more right now? US made? Not bad.

But, to the point, going to a doctor's office and buying one or two, or stopping in the pharmacy and picking one up with a script? That seems pretty easy.

The ones I mentioned weren't N95,  just regular paper ones, so I'm guessing N95 is much more expensive.

I’ll take “Things that never happened” for $200, Alex.

Kim Masters seems to think Trump and Fox News are politicizing the COVID health crisis which is hilarious when it’s literally been the Democrats and MSNBC, CNN, and other crap outlets blaming Trump for killing eleventy billion people!

She went so far as to share this story:

And then the two men pounded their chests and yelled, ‘THIS IS MAGA COUNTRY! WHOOOOOOO DAWGIE!’ while shooting their guns off in the air. Yup. Oh, and she left out the part where a bunch of masked grizzly bears jumped out of the forest and tried to steal her wallet …

Notice it wasn't two women or a couple? Just a couple of evil men.

Two women or a couple wouldn’t have been as scary or as patriarchal and besides if two women mocked her for voting Democrat that would mean the Democrats are in trouble. If two evil white dudes did it that totally fits their silly little Trump supporter stereotype. Did we mention these two guys were waving a confederate flag as well?

Kidding.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/05/10/then-they-yelled-magaaa-blue-check-journos-yarn-about-2-unmasked-male-trump-supporters-harassing-her-for-wearing-a-mask-smells-like-bs/

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What do you determine your ROI to be as opposed to those folks being in the office? We changed corporate policy effective May 4 to require attendance in the office for a full 40 hour paid week....prior we allowed folks to work remotely with the option of receiving 32 hours paid weekly or 40 hours if they needed to supplement their paycheck with 8 hours of PTO (there is a big productivity difference working remotely as well as necessary interaction with fellow employees being negated) ....BUT....we have retroactively reimbursed those who paid themselves 32 hour weekly with 8 hours weekly to make them whole or restored 8 hours of PTO weekly for those who took a short paycheck....as an aside, we paid out $300,000 in admin bonuses on March 13......yet the three of us at the executive level are made aware of groveling among a certain few because of returning to the May 4 "in the office" mandate......field personnel, delivery, courier, USPS personnel et al are still not allowed into admin offices....we spent $5,000 to have the building professionally sanitized and still maintain multiple sanitizing stations throughout......so what have us SOB's done wrong folks?...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

What do you determine your ROI to be as opposed to those folks being in the office? We changed corporate policy effective May 4 to require attendance in the office for a full 40 hour paid week....prior we allowed folks to work remotely with the option of receiving 32 hours paid weekly or 40 hours if they needed to supplement their paycheck with 8 hours of PTO (there is a big productivity difference working remotely as well as necessary interaction with fellow employees being negated) ....BUT....we have retroactively reimbursed those who paid themselves 32 hour weekly with 8 hours weekly to make them whole or restored 8 hours of PTO weekly for those who took a short paycheck....as an aside, we paid out $300,000 in admin bonuses on March 13......yet the three of us at the executive level are made aware of groveling among a certain few because of returning to the May 4 "in the office" mandate......field personnel, delivery, courier, USPS personnel et al are still not allowed into admin offices....we spent $5,000 to have the building professionally sanitized and still maintain multiple sanitizing stations throughout......so what have us SOB's done wrong folks?...........

Since this has started, have you discovered any new ideas that can help your business if it were to say magically return to normal tomorrow?  Any cost cutting measures?  Possibly that some employees can get the same jobs done at home, therefore maybe allowing the office space to be smaller?  Anything like that?  I'm just kinda curious if this might change some of the ways business may be done going forward?

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I have my overhead structure with a break even point of 43 million....we went to $55 million in revenues without stressing the overhead structure.....we even went to $70 million in revenues, again without stressing the same overhead structure.....we have not been near 43 mil break even in years, but I need to be prepared and have a contingency plan of cuts should the need arise....that's what I get paid for and I'm not about to sully a 44+ year financial career for not being prepared.....do I have to fight with my other two co-executives about spending+ in a good year?...of course.....thankfully I usually win......I'm fiscally conservative and have built a formidable "rainy day fund" in general but more so in the construction industry because of significant swings.....shrinking my office space in lieu of employees working from home is non-sequitor for me...they try to tell me they are equally effective, but this isn't my first rodeo.....my space cost me $12 per square foot.....no way I get the same ROI for employees working from home to save on space......they claim to be equally productive, but I don't buy it......and I lose with their inability to interact face to face with employees in the office versus what they perceive to be equal value remotely....

I agree, one can't slack off, because it will be too noticeable with all the people around him working hard.  People are def more honest when you are watching them.  I guess if there was a productivity measure, you could do it, though.  The construction business may be real slow moving forward.  Heck, there's gonna be mass evictions.  Best of luck to you moving forward.  Thanks for reply.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I agree, one can't slack off, because it will be too noticeable with all the people around him working hard.  People are def more honest when you are watching them.  I guess if there was a productivity measure, you could do it, though.  The construction business may be real slow moving forward.  Heck, there's gonna be mass evictions.  Best of luck to you moving forward.  Thanks for reply.  

...I appreciate your insight and objective assessment....good show bro.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How can the airline industry open? I know the right wingers want to blame the government for this pandemic Depression, but the air

lines won’t open until people feel safe 

The airlines mostly serves business.  If they did not they would have gone the way of the dinosaur 40 years ago as they were looking for bailouts and anti-trust considerations (exemptions) for mergers.

Edited by RochesterRob

13 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Those people for the most part have a poor lifestyle and terrible diet heavy in sugar. The country should not be locked down because those people can't control themselves. Given the real tyranny and hypocrisy that has revealed itself, I find that the people who now want to control everyone else in totality can't even control themselves. The irony alone will kill more people than the virus itself.

it’s not fair to throw all those who suffer from chronic diseases into the ‘they chose this lifestyle’ category. 

Genetics has a huge say in a persons health. There are skinny people who diet, but still have high blood pressure. Type 2 diabetes has a big genetic component to it, and people who suffer from type 1 are either born with it or develop it out of the blue in childhood. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

it’s not fair to throw all those who suffer from chronic diseases into the ‘they chose this lifestyle’ category. 

Genetics has a huge say in a persons health. There are skinny people who diet, but still have high blood pressure. Type 2 diabetes has a big genetic component to it, and people who suffer from type 1 are either born with it or develop it out of the blue in childhood. 

True but lifestyle is the number 1 indicator of most of our ailments. And unless you have multiple pre existing conditions then unless you are old you are 99.9%safe.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Lay off the sugar and stop snacking between meals. Avoid food that causes inflammation. It's not about being fair, but protecting yourself with discipline. We all have a genetic problem when we abuse ourselves, or let others do it instead.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Lay off the sugar and stop snacking between meals. Avoid food that causes inflammation. It's not about being fair, but protecting yourself with discipline. We all have a genetic problem when we abuse ourselves, or let others do it instead.

That's a gross oversimplification. You may not mean to be, but it seems that you're fine telling everyone who suffer diabetes (of any kind), respiratory issues, or cardiovascular disease, "oh well, you asked for it". 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Elon going to war with the left

This Reich is a typical leftist dill hole...Now going to work is being “ subjected “ to Coronavirus to these mental midgets. Guess what ? Covid 19 is now part of the world. We subject ourselves to the world and all of its dangers and pitfalls when we step out the front door everyday. No one can force anyone to report for work. We do that by choice. Someone can choose to stay inside and try to go on permanent disability if they really can’t cope. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Tiberius said:

How can the airline industry open? I know the right wingers want to blame the government for this pandemic Depression, but the air

lines won’t open until people feel safe 

People will fly, slowly at first  but surely. ( stop calling me Shirley lol..) Just like they did after 9/11, although I’m not comparing the two. Just that the effect is the same. People need to get places; some of which you can’t drive to and others where it is logistically impractical. Most level headed people feel safe enough now. Anytime anything opens up there are/ will be people there, because they’re tired of this and know that hiding under a rock is no way to live. Just a look at the twitter shaming when folks flock to a beach will tell you this fear thing is overblown. It’s mostly a media driven narrative to the majority of the population. If the planes are being cleaned that will be enough. Heck, people were still taking that filthy subway in NYC before they even considered cleaning it once a night. 

31 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

People will fly, slowly at first  but surely. ( stop calling me Shirley lol..) Just like they did after 9/11, although I’m not comparing the two. Just that the effect is the same. People need to get places; some of which you can’t drive to and others where it is logistically impractical. Most level headed people feel safe enough now. Anytime anything opens up there are/ will be people there, because they’re tired of this and know that hiding under a rock is no way to live. Just a look at the twitter shaming when folks flock to a beach will tell you this fear thing is overblown. It’s mostly a media driven narrative to the majority of the population. If the planes are being cleaned that will be enough. Heck, people were still taking that filthy subway in NYC before they even considered cleaning it once a night. 

You could have Mr. Clean disinfect the plane as good as nature intended, but it's still a narrow tube of aircraft aluminum.  I think when we get to talking about heads being literally 10" apart, that changes the discussion.  To me they'd be a ship of fools. I know I'd feel like a real dummy if the ICU doctor started talking about intubating me, because I wanted to see the country a few weeks too early.  Now for the second part of the discussion.  CAN the industry withstand having only half full flights?  As notoriously bad at planning as airlines are, they do have fuel prices in their favor.  Thank God, but is that enough to keep them going for maybe a year or two of 1/2 full flights??  I wouldn't bet on it. 

8 hours ago, Azalin said:

That's a gross oversimplification. You may not mean to be, but it seems that you're fine telling everyone who suffer diabetes (of any kind), respiratory issues, or cardiovascular disease, "oh well, you asked for it". 

BS. I used injuries as an excuse and over a couple years I became pre-diabetic and hypertensive. When I got sick for 3 weeks last December and had all the COVID 19 symptoms including numbness in the limbs, I had to change my ways. I lost 35 lbs since then and the total elimination of simple sugars and industrial cooking oils was the foundation of the changes I made, along with intermittent fasting. I still can't exercise properly until I get my surgeries, but that day approaches slowly but surely. My blood pressure is now normal, and I am no longer pre-diabetic. I know I know, I am supposed to take pharmaceuticals and continue to have no self control over what I put in my body because it's "so difficult". Yeah, it is difficult. Survival and not being a burden on others is difficult. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

BS. I used injuries as an excuse and over a couple years I became pre-diabetic and hypertensive. When I got sick for 3 weeks last December and had all the COVID 19 symptoms including numbness in the limbs, I had to change my ways. I lost 35 lbs since then and the total elimination of simple sugars and industrial cooking oils was the foundation of the changes I made, along with intermittent fasting. I still can't exercise properly until I get my surgeries, but that day approaches slowly but surely. My blood pressure is now normal, and I am no longer pre-diabetic. I know I know, I am supposed to take pharmaceuticals and continue to have no self control over what I put in my body because it's "so difficult". Yeah, it is difficult. Survival and not being a burden on others is difficult. 

Your lecturing from on high notwithstanding, I am not going to ***** on older people and those with health risks because of who they are or lifestyle decisions. 

We need to reopen. Some people are at risk through natural causes or lifestyle, and we need to take precautions to keep them as safe as we reasonably can. New Yorkers, liberals, conservatives, young, old, fit, obese—let’s try to do right by Americans eh?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Your lecturing from on high notwithstanding, I am not going to ***** on older people and those with health risks because of who they are or lifestyle decisions. 

We need to reopen. Some people are at risk through natural causes or lifestyle, and we need to take precautions to keep them as safe as we reasonably can. New Yorkers, liberals, conservatives, young, old, fit, obese—let’s try to do right by Americans eh?

Lecturing? Forget what I said. Eat whatever you want, do what ever you want, pop whatever pills your doctor pushes, and when you guys feel safe again, let the rest of us know when we can get to live our lives again. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings since that is clearly priority one these days. Make sure you eat lots of sugar and processed food today, and think of me. I apologize for giving hope to anyone who even imagines being able to help themselves. Damn I am a horrible person.

32 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Lecturing? Forget what I said. Eat whatever you want, do what ever you want, pop whatever pills your doctor pushes, and when you guys feel safe again, let the rest of us know when we can get to live our lives again. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings since that is clearly priority one these days. Make sure you eat lots of sugar and processed food today, and think of me. I apologize for giving hope to anyone who even imagines being able to help themselves. Damn I am a horrible person.

^^^Yes, lecturing.^^^

Yesterday’s low and probably today’s are very low on deaths. Tuesday through Thursday will be interesting. PA drove a lot of count last week as it dumped a lot of deaths into the week from recounted data. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us top out in the 1800s or less this week. 

Edited by shoshin

18 minutes ago, shoshin said:

^^^Yes, lecturing.^^^

Yesterday’s low and probably today’s are very low on deaths. Tuesday through Thursday will be interesting. PA drove a lot of count last week as it dumped a lot of deaths into the week from recounted data. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us top out in the 1800s or less this week. 

You are correct, I will leave the daily lecturing to you. Let me know when I can live my life again.