There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

Atlanta opening up theatres and restaurants in a few days.

I would like to see how they do that.  If it is at full capacity then I think they are asking for troubles.

Hopefully it’s a modified approach.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Atlanta opening up theatres and restaurants in a few days.

I would like to see how they do that.  If it is at full capacity then I think they are asking for troubles.

Hopefully it’s a modified approach.

We have people afraid to pass each other on the sidewalk and yet there’s no rule against it. You actually believe most of this won’t be self regulating? Before the pandemic people would walk out of restaurants if they didn’t look clean....now they’ll do the same if they look to busy. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We have people afraid to pass each other on the sidewalk and yet there’s no rule against it. You actually believe most of this won’t be self regulating? Before the pandemic people would walk out of restaurants if they didn’t look clean....now they’ll do the same if they look to busy. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

I am interested in seeing if the state will give any specific guidelines Or mandates for theatres and restaurants or they will allow them to self-regulate.    I’m hoping for guidelines.

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

I am interested in seeing if the state will give any specific guidelines Or mandates for theatres and restaurants or they will allow them to self-regulate.    I’m hoping for guidelines.

So in essence, since they would in fact just be guidelines, that means you’ll be self regulating. Everyone’s comfort level, pre-existing health issues, and risk tolerance are different. 

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So in essence, since they would in fact just be guidelines, that means you’ll be self regulating. Everyone’s comfort level, pre-existing health issues, and risk tolerance are different. 

Pretty much

Atlanta is going to be a fascinating test case.   Like our very own Sweden.   Atlanta is being more aggressive than Florida in their start up plans.   

You would think that the cases will go up, it’s only logical and I’m sure the media will be all over them and Trump for that matter if it does.   But the standard should not be if cases go up, but if the curve is flattened enough so that their hospital systems can sustain the demand in patients. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When Will Democrats Cry Uncle?

by Christopher Chantrill

Original Article

A couple of weeks ago I predicted correctly that President Trump would reopen the economy midway between the point where the Democrats would blame him for doing it too early and the point where the Democrats would blame him for opening the economy too late.

I now realized that the president has gone one better than that, he has actually threaded the needle on opening the economy. He has decreed a road-map and left it up to the governors how to drive the road back to town.

2 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

This should have been left up to the hospitals, as soon as they are not overwhelmed you can start opening things up slowly starting with Parks and beaches.

Never let a politician tell you what to do though.

Gee. You mean kind of like the administration has been suggesting from day one? That it's a local to state to federal chain rather than the inverse? 

It's amazing! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

What a Prolonged Shutdown Will Cost in Human Life

by Jacki Deason

Original Article

Governor Says Colorado Planning to Gradually Reopen Economy

Associated Press, by Staff

Original Article

The Economy Doesn’t Need Government ‘Help’ To Reopen

Issues & Insights, by The Editorial Board

Original Article

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

This should have been left up to the hospitals, as soon as they are not overwhelmed you can start opening things up slowly starting with Parks and beaches.

Never let a politician tell you what to do though.

The majority of hospitals are chomping at the bit to reopen because in most states, governors have prohibited their revenue generating elective and outpatient surgeries.  They aren't all-pro quarantine as you might first believe. 

• Like (+1) 4

Barr Says DOJ May Act Against Governors With Strict Virus Limits

The Justice Department will consider taking legal action against governors who continue to impose stringent rules for dealing with the coronavirus that infringe on constitutional rights once the crisis subsides in their states, Attorney General William Barr said.

</snip>

“We have to give businesses more freedom to operate in a way that’s reasonably safe,” Barr said. “To the extent that governors don’t and impinge on either civil rights or on the national commerce -- our common market that we have here -- then we’ll have to address that.”

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Barr Says DOJ May Act Against Governors With Strict Virus Limits

The Justice Department will consider taking legal action against governors who continue to impose stringent rules for dealing with the coronavirus that infringe on constitutional rights once the crisis subsides in their states, Attorney General William Barr said.

</snip>

“We have to give businesses more freedom to operate in a way that’s reasonably safe,” Barr said. “To the extent that governors don’t and impinge on either civil rights or on the national commerce -- our common market that we have here -- then we’ll have to address that.”

</snip>

I'm one who believes we should open back up as soon as is possible once the risks have been mitigated, but when President Trump issued his guidelines for reopening last Friday, he suggested that reopening was "implementable on a statewide basis at governors' discretion."  And yet four days later, the attorney general is threatening governors with legal action if they impose stringent rules for dealing with the coronavirus.

So what's changed between last Friday and today?  No wonder governors get so frustrated with Trump. 

1 hour ago, Hardhatharry said:

If your definition of "overwhelmed" is that they are caring for patients like they were before and also have capacity for Covid patients, that is a very long ways off. 

Just now, Artful Dodger said:

I'm one who believes we should open back up as soon as is possible once the risks have been mitigated, but when President Trump issued his guidelines for reopening last Friday, he suggested that reopening was "implementable on a statewide basis at governors' discretion."  And yet four days later, the attorney general is threatening governors with legal action if they impose stringent rules for dealing with the coronavirus.

So what's changed between last Friday and today?  No wonder governors get so frustrated with Trump. 

If the AG saw laws being broken, he has a duty to get involved, no? For instance, the drive-in churches in Mississippi. He saw it as a Constitutional right to worship being unfairly impinged by a Mayor.   IOW, if you are allowed to go to a grocery store and stay 6' away from other patrons, why can't you go to an open church and stay 6' away from other worshipers? If you can sit in a vehicle in a long line for a food pantry pick-up, why can't you sit in a vehicle in a church parking lot? For all I know, that is what he will be looking at going forward. But, I really have no idea what Barr plans, what they see as gubernatorial overreach, or what laws the DOJ felt were broken.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

If anything, Trump is never ever consistent. 

25 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

By reading his quotes, I think he wasn't necessarily speaking about the stay-at-home orders as much as some of the more onerous and stringent directives that some of the governors are imposing on their citizenry.    Most likely some of the ones we are hearing out of Michigan.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

facepalm-smiley-gif-548.gif.81a184232a3fc6cc001731833214ba92.gif

Thousands of small-business owners’ data may have been exposed by breach on SBA disaster-loan site

NEW YORK — Thousands of small business owners reeling from the aggressive measures taken to halt the spread of the coronavirus may have had their personal information exposed last month on a government website that handles disaster loan applications.

The Small Business Administration said Tuesday that the personal information of more than 7,000 business owners applying for economic injury disaster loans was potentially seen by other applicants on the SBA website on March 25.

The SBA said only the disaster loan program was affected, not the Paycheck Protection Program, which did not begin until April 3 and which is handled by a separate system. ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The Georgia Governor is on Fox right now...  Martha MacCallum  asked him WHY would you open up hair dressers, nail salons, and tattoo parlors first?
Governor: Because those are the businesses that are closed.

He's also talking about all the hospitals that are paying off because they do not have work (elective surgeries, etc).
Businesses can do temperature screening on their employees.
He's making a lot of sense. His state will be watched closely, I am sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Making his "friend's" suicide political. Sounds like a real winner....

Actually, many people have pointed out this will be an issue going forward. There are stats that show how much suicide rises in a time of big unemployment. When you have lost everything, suicide does happen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

The Georgia Governor is on Fox right now...  Martha MacCallum  asked him WHY would you open up hair dressers, nail salons, and tattoo parlors first?
Governor: Because those are the businesses that are closed.

He's also talking about all the hospitals that are paying off because they do not have work (elective surgeries, etc).
Businesses can do temperature screening on their employees.
He's making a lot of sense. His state will be watched closely, I am sure.

She keeps asking about screening, but I don’t think business will be screening nearly the amount that some people think. It’s just not a realistic proposition. Perhaps waivers will need to be signed for gyms, etc. A temperature screening is probably about it. We’re not going to be able to test people on the spot to enter establishments etc. 

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

Actually, many people have pointed out this will be an issue going forward. There are stats that show how much suicide rises in a time of big unemployment. When you have lost everything, suicide does happen.

Tons of people were laid off and found a way to not off themselves. That's a personal problem. Many more are also dying from the virus.. This guy's just making it all about him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Tons of people were laid off and found a way to not off themselves. That's a personal problem. Many more are also dying from the virus.. This guy's just making it all about him.

None of us know what might plunge another into despair. Of course , it’s all personal. The virus is a personal thing too. Many will have no symptoms, some will have a mild cold or cough, others will get extremely sick for a time, and others will ultimately succumb to it. Completely depending on individual health and genetics, and therefore personal. Everyone will be exposed to it eventually, like the common cold or influenza. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

None of us know what might plunge another into despair. Of course , it’s all personal. The virus is a personal thing too. Many will have no symptoms, some will have a mild cold or cough, others will get extremely sick for a time, and others will ultimately succumb to it. Completely depending on individual health and genetics, and therefore personal. Everyone will be exposed to it eventually, like the common cold or influenza. 

...and are you throwing f-bombs around on Twitter because of it, blaming other people? Lol

Just now, LeGOATski said:

...and are you throwing f-bombs around on Twitter because of it, blaming other people? Lol

I am not, but then again I don’t do twitter or other social media. Many do though, and I’d expect this kind of thing to become more common as things go on. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I am not, but then again I don’t do twitter or other social media. Many do though, and I’d expect this kind of thing to become more common as things go on. 

Me neither. Stupid people yelling on Twitter will probably become more common, lol. That's pretty much all Twitter has been good for.

28 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

it is pretty well proven that in times of economic downturns, the suicide rate rises. don't like it all you want, doesn't change facts.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Me neither. Stupid people yelling on Twitter will probably become more common, lol. That's pretty much all Twitter has been good for.

More common?

That's pretty much most of what Twitter has been since it started.  People screaming at each other, and celebrities endorsing products

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

it is pretty well proven that in times of economic downturns, the suicide rate rises. don't like it all you want, doesn't change facts.

I haven't argued that at all. Just pointing out a loser who uses his "friend's" suicide to draw attention to himself.

I guess you like that?

On the flip side, its like someone's grandmother dying and then they get on Twitter to yell "***** you!" at people who want to open back up.

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

More common?

That's pretty much most of what Twitter has been since it started.  People screaming at each other, and celebrities endorsing products

Yeah, this is America. We can max it out if we work together.

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I haven't argued that at all. Just pointing out a loser who uses his "friend's" suicide to draw attention to himself.

I guess you like that?

On the flip side, its like someone's grandmother dying and then they get on Twitter to yell "***** you!" at people who want to open back up. ...

nah. it was about his friend who committed suicide and his grieving.

• Like (+1) 1