Reed83HOF

Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

is he overrated?  Yeah, he’s probably overrated. Is he a very good football player that can dominate the LOS from play to play and do things none of our current DEs can do?  Yeah, he is.  Will he improve our team in many ways?  Yeah, he would.  Is there any free agent that we can add that would improve our team more than he would?  Not in my opinion.

Improve our team in 2020 while having no negative impact on next years salary cap OR not improve our team for 2020 and have a similar cap next year.  

#itsnotrocketscience

Is rarely healthy, inflated numbers in blowout games with the Texans (to the tune of a quarter of his production in 2018), all while having one of the most disruptive players in the league across from him, was traded for a bag of peanuts, and the team that obtained him... yet to resign him. That's two organizations, TO DATE, that have seen him up close and moved on. Maybe the Seahawks circle back, maybe a team like the Browns meet his demands.

Would be a waste of money.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

No he’s a good player for sure, but he’s definitely not what some fans make him out to be

I know I was just preparing for when we don't get him.

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

There are many people on here that no way more than I’ll ever know about how all of this works but I’d be shocked if the Bills haven’t offered Clowney some pretty sizable money and then would cut Trent Murphy. What’s the downside? What’s the $ delta? Don’t they still have plenty of cap space? Seems like a no brainer and the Bills (a contender) would seem to be the ideal fit.

The no brainer is Bills (with brains) value Trent Murphy more than you do which you have shown with multiple posts.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The no brainer is Bills (with brains) value Trent Murphy more than you do which you have shown with multiple posts.

I think you meant to say brains infected with covid value Murphy. Maybe we can pull Kelsay out of retirement while we're at it.....

On 3/18/2020 at 10:58 AM, TroutDog said:

He is a very good D lineman but with no big sack numbers he’s not going to get the number he’s looking for in my opinion. 

Thats why its a prove it deal- he may be had in the 7-10 mil range. I think it will be tough seeing we need an upgrade at the 2 QB spot. There is plenty of options out there plus we have to leave room for draft picks and retaining our own.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Unless he is willing to take a 2 year 12 million a year type contract I do not want him. I know that we will have to spend a lot to keep our own in the next 3 years and to replace Hughes and others. I do not think he brings value for more than that I am happy we have a GM who thinks the same 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Thats why its a prove it deal- he may be had in the 7-10 mil range. I think it will be tough seeing we need an upgrade at the 2 QB spot. There is plenty of options out there plus we have to leave room for draft picks and retaining our own.

That was my point: he WANTS a large deal but will not get it and the Bills aren’t, in all probability, going to sign him. If we wanted a young run stopper in the $7-10m range, we would have kept Shaq.

We have plenty of cap available for our draft picks so I’m not sure what you meant there. 

6 hours ago, TroutDog said:

That was my point: he WANTS a large deal but will not get it and the Bills aren’t, in all probability, going to sign him. If we wanted a young run stopper in the $7-10m range, we would have kept Shaq.

We have plenty of cap available for our draft picks so I’m not sure what you meant there. 

In some ways I wish we would’ve kept Shaq, but I feel we got better players than him in Free agency. I think Shaq might take a step back or two in Miami cause their running a 3-4, Lawson struggled mightily in the 3-4

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

You're thinking Clowney will sign for 7 to 10 million? That's less than Shaq got, and hest much better than Shaq. He's not as good as he thinks, but he's better than that.

I predict he'll sign a 2 year 14 million per year deal somewhere.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

You're thinking Clowney will sign for 7 to 10 million? That's less than Shaq got, and hest much better than Shaq. He's not as good as he thinks, but he's better than that.

I predict he'll sign a 2 year 14 million per year deal somewhere.

Yes, I do think that. There isn’t many teams with a ton of cap space left for a short term prove it deal. It will be interesting to see what he gets and re- hash this conversation 😊

12 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Yes, plenty for our picks- and hopefully some of the remainder to get a true number 2 QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think you meant to say brains infected with covid value Murphy. Maybe we can pull Kelsay out of retirement while we're at it.....

Kelsay had 32.5 sacks in 10 seasons; Murphy has 24.0 in 5 seasons.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Apples to pears.   There are more pass rush opportunities for DEs today than when Kelsay played...

• Skeptical 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Kelsey was also a much better all around DE than Murphy....

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Apples to pears.   There are more pass rush opportunities for DEs today than when Kelsay played...

5 minutes ago, gordong said:

Kelsey was also a much better all around DE than Murphy....

I don’t agree with either of these statements 

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Based on what? QB's get the ball out quicker and don't drop back as far today. They also play more from shotgun. Those things make it harder for pass rushers.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

What?  You don't agree that the answer to everything, including the Covid virus, is simply cutting Murphy?  

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Neither do I.

At all.

22 minutes ago, MJS said:

Based on what? QB's get the ball out quicker and don't drop back as far today. They also play more from shotgun. Those things make it harder for pass rushers.

Right.

And I'd be willing to bet good money that Kelsay saw a greater percentage of snaps than Murphy.

23 hours ago, NewEra said:

If the browns sign Clowney, sure. Not sure why we wouldn’t just sign Clowney ourselves, instead of signing the guy that the browns wanted to replace with Clowney. 

I never understood the Vernon love tbh, but he’d be a nice rotational guy.  I think Jerry and Addison are better pass rushers, but I’m all for spending any additional money on pass rush or OL upgrades

I think Vernon is just on the backside of his career and he is declining the closer he gets to 30.   I'd prefer to sign him at this point because I think Clowney is grossly overrated at the level of pay he looking for.  You have to make sure the money you put into a player matches the output you get from him.  In that sense Addison really is the best value out of the four players being discussed here.