Can the Bills land a good Edge in FA?

Sooooooo.....can the Bills land a good Edge rusher in FA?  What say you guys?

Here's one of the only lists I could find that wasn't a freakin' clickclickclick slideshow

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-free-agency-yannick-ngakoue-jadeveon-clowney-headline-top-available-pass-rushers/
Of note, Shaq Lawson makes the list at #10 albeit for his "untapped potential" (career year, sign guy for untapped potential, hmmmm)

The Jags owner has said he is "very hopeful" of re-signing both Ngakoue and Campbell.  https://clutchpoints.com/jaguars-news-jacksonville-very-hopeful-of-re-signing-yannick-ngakoue-calais-campbell/

Lynch wants to re-sign Armstead https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-gm-john-lynch-wants-re-sign-arik-armstead-long-time

Baltimore has said they will franchise Judon if they can't re-sign him.  Arians has said they will prioritize signing their own, like Shaq Barrett.

I'm not really a big Clowney fan.  Talk me into it?  But if everyone above does get re-signed, the pickin's are gonna be slim, plus Lawson might see his value bump up.

What do you guys think of Robert Quinn?  He's older, of course ?

• Like (+1) 3

I don't envision the Bills signing a "big bucks" guy like Clowney or, if he somehow became available, Ngakoue.

Instead, I see guys like Mario Addison and Robert Quinn as much more likely options. Quinn had a career resurgence last year with 11.5 sacks. Whatever it was about the scheme switch from Miami to Dallas, it worked. He's 29 years old, which may be "old", but it's not OLD old.

I also think that the Bills might take a swing at Dante Fowler or Vic Beasley -- both supremely physically talented former 1st rounders who haven't lived up to expectations. Beane seems to like to take chances on really athletic, former high picks, banking on the notion that the Bills coaches and system can get more production out of them. Fowler, like Quinn, had 11.5 sacks last year. Vic Beasley was no slouch, with 8 sacks last year, which would have led all Bills defenders. His career high year saw him tally 15.5 sacks.

Another big question, of course, is whether or not they re-sign Shaq Lawson.

In any case, I don't see the Bills getting anyone young or dynamic enough in free agency to "solve" the position, so they'll need to draft a youngster or two either this season or next. If they re-sign Lawson, it probably buys them a year, and then can more meaningfully address the edge position with youth next offseason.

When all is said and done, my prediction for the Bills 4-deep depth chart next season is something like Hughes, Lawson, Addison, draftee.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I don't envision the Bills signing a "big bucks" guy like Clowney or, if he somehow became available, Ngakoue.

Instead, I see guys like Mario Addison and Robert Quinn as much more likely options. Quinn had a career resurgence last year with 11.5 sacks. Whatever it was about the scheme switch from Miami to Dallas, it worked. He's 29 years old, which may be "old", but it's not OLD old.

I also think that might take a swing at Dante Fowler or Vic Beasley -- both supremely physically talented former 1st rounders who haven't lived up to expectations. Beane seems to like to take chances on really athletic, former high picks, banking on the notion that the Bills coaches and system can get more production out of them. Fowler, like Quinn, had 11.5 sacks last year. Vic Beasley was no slouch, with 8 sacks last year, which would have led all Bills defenders. His career high year saw him tally 15.5 sacks.

In any case, I don't see the Bills getting anyone young or dynamic enough in free agency to "solve" the position, so they'll need to draft a youngster or two either this season or next. If they re-sign Lawson, it probably buys them a year, and then can more meaningfully address the edge position with youth next offseason.

When all is said and done, my prediction for the Bills 4-deep depth chart next season is something like Hughes, Lawson, Addison, draftee.

You may end up being right but I do believe the Bills want to go after a top tier Edge Rusher.   So I do think they will not simply do their due diligence in inquiring but be in the hunt with competitive offers to obtain one...If not, then I strongly suspect they will get someone that is in the next tier down....I think it's a major priority for them to land one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I also think that the Bills might take a swing at Dante Fowler or Vic Beasley -- both supremely physically talented former 1st rounders who haven't lived up to expectations. Beane seems to like to take chances on really athletic, former high picks, banking on the notion that the Bills coaches and system can get more production out of them. Fowler, like Quinn, had 11.5 sacks last year. Vic Beasley was no slouch, with 8 sacks last year, which would have led all Bills defenders. His career high year saw him tally 15.5 sacks.

You talking bout the "best versions of themselves"?  

• Haha (+1) 2

It really depends on how much you want to spend.  They wont be able to afford to resign Shaq and be in on Clowney or Ngakoue.   They can go get Mario Addison, but even at his age he is probably a 10-11 million dollar a year guy.

My suggestion, go pay Emmanuel Ogbah 5-6 million dollars a year and see what he can offer.  He has gotten better every year, been slowed down by some injuries but I think he can supplement the talent you already have.

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Robert Quinn would be the kind of signing that allows us flexibility in the draft. If someone we love is waiting for us early, we take him to be the future after Hughes and Quinn. If we wait till later rounds, we’ve still done a decent job to boost our EDGE presence. 

Quinn and Mario Addison are my ideal flexibility signings. Moreso Addison since familiar with McDermott and staff. As think be a good 2 year signing that won't break the bank. 

50 minutes ago, Magox said:

You may end up being right but I do believe the Bills want to go after a top tier Edge Rusher.   So I do think they will not simply do their due diligence in inquiring but be in the hunt with competitive offers to obtain one...If not, then I strongly suspect they will get someone that is in the next tier down....I think it's a major priority for them to land one.

The one thing keeping me from thinking they're going to pay big bucks to an edge rusher is Beane saying this offseason not to expect them to be "setting the market" or spending much time in the "deep end of the pool" this free agency period.

They spent big on Morse and Lotulelei, sure, but those were gaping needs on a roster that was pretty barren at the time and needed to reach the salary floor to boot. Now that they've begun to build up the core talent through the draft, and given that they have quite a few contracts either up this offseason or coming up the next couple of offseasons, I just don't see them paying the money necessary to get a big time edge rusher. And to add to that...who that's likely to hit the market even IS a big time edge rusher? I don't see the Jags letting Ngaukoue hit the market. I think the Steelers will do all they can to re-sign Dupree. Clowney looks to me like the only "big time" guy that might hit the market, and I just don't see the Bills giving him $22million/year.

We shall see in three weeks, I guess.

Edited by Logic

I might be a little in the minority here but I want lawson back even if it’s a little bigger contract than people expect or are willing to pay. 
I have also been a big Quinn fan but he won’t be nearly as cheap as we’re expecting. 
But, sign them both. Shaq is getting a nice 3-4 year deal regardless, Quinn may be in the 2-3 year costly range. We all know Hughes is probably gone after next season. Might as well sign two this year. Makes the draft that much easier plus you still have the rookie from this season progressing in the rotational system and can always add more later if needed. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I agree with Robert Quinn he had a good year last year even though they didn’t make the playoffs

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Good posts and very consistent with the pattern Beane has shown of taking a shot at guys who had the athletic talent to be 1st round picks. 

You have a very good point about Quinn fitting a pattern of "old but not too old" pick-ups who might fill in a gap while we give a young draftee some time to develop.

Dante' Fowler made it onto the list linked in the OP as #8 with the comment "At 25, with some rock-solid playoff experience now under his belt, he might command even more money than you'd think."  Fowler, as Lawson, is a rather disappointing 1st round pick who had a career year last season.  Aside from the obvious questions, "Do the Rams intend to re-sign him? What would he cost?" (Rams have $14M in cap), he's listed as a 3-4 OLB.  Can anyone comment on whether he would have the skills to translate either to 4-3 DE or to 4-3 OLB? 

Vic Beasley is an interesting thought with a similar question: listed as a 4-3 OLB, would he be able to play 4-3 DE and/or have what McDermott and Frazier are looking for in an OLB?  With 42 tackles, 8 sacks, 8 TFL, and 8 QB hits, our own Shaq Lawson is not that dissimilar statistically despite playing only about 60% of the snaps Beasley played (32 T, 6.5 sacks, 13 TFL, 18 QB hits; 46% of offensive snaps vs 73% for Beasley).  Beasley interests me, but he just got $12.8M for his 5th year option, so what does he want?

OTC gives Beasley a valuation of $6M vs $4M for Lawson. If that's anywhere near accurate, we could in theory have both.  It wouldn't bother me to pay Shaq more, of course it isn't my money!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Anybody check the price lately for a FA ? Ridiculous

I prefer to draft one #1or #2 and save the money to sign our own...

Buy a FA DE whilst JA is still on his rookie deal..

And draft someone high as well this year..

Murphy and Hughes will both be gone in the next 12 months so the cost will be about the same come 2021..

• Like (+1) 1

Chargers are going into rebuild mode, would love to get Bosa off their hands. Speaking of Bosa Bros...49ers want to sign Armstead longterm? Probably can't afford Nick when it's time to re-sign, we'll take him off their hands as well so he can actually get a ring....

Other honorable mentions, JJ Watt as TJ is most likely too hot to touch at this point

11 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I'd be fine just bringing Shaq back, but I think a guy like Adrian Clayborn or Robert Quinn offers us an upgrade without breaking the bank.

Not to mention the fact that Quinn will be less expensive (IMO) and brings more to the table as a disrupter, something the defense is lacking.

Hap's paraphrase of the the article regarding Shaq is precisely the reason I think the contract he receives is gonna blow people away. His career trajectory will lead teams to believe he's on the precipice of greatness(he is not). He's also just 25. The guy is a solid player who's maxed out his potential, especially in terms of TACKLING the QB. 

Quinn would be a great signing because he's still got a lot of gas left in the tank and he's still capable of bringing HEAT. He's 29, and Hughes is 30+, so they would still need to draft a guy in the early/middle rounds to really solidify the position.

My preference is that they go big here and try to land Clowney or Yannick, but I'd be fine with Quinn as well. 

Several other interesting names on the list, but Clayborn doesn't do it for me. 

8 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Anybody check the price lately for a FA ? Ridiculous

I prefer to draft one #1or #2 and save the money to sign our own...

Takes money to make money.

11 hours ago, Magox said:

Agreed. I take everything I hear from a GM in a press conference with a grain of salt.

• Like (+1) 1