Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:03 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I like this thought process. You have a few names to keep an eye on? Is there another ‘Feliciano’ type of player for either RT or swing tackle? 

Vaitai has been mentioned by some others in this thread already, but I think he represents much better value than Conklin. He is basically Feliciano 2.0...a talented player stuck behind Pro Bowl level starters who just needs an opportunity.

I think it's a fair assumption that Conklin is a marginally better player, but Vaitai's only 26 and could be signed for a fraction of the cost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are just looking to squeeze out something in return for him, something more than they would get in the Comp pick variety. It may backfire in the end. We will see. 

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills don't have the long term money to pay the guy as a free agent.  Now we want to give away money they wont have plus a draft pick?     He is a good player but he isnt a game wrecker.   No reason to mortgage the future for one player.

Yes we certainly do.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

They are just looking to squeeze out something in return for him, something more than they would get in the Comp pick variety. It may backfire in the end. We will see. 

Marrone thinks if Bill O'Brien could do it with Clowney than he can do it with Ngakoue. Marrone is also an idiot.

I think the Bill's walk away in free agency with one of Mario Addison ( McDermott connection) or Everson Griffen (L Frazier connection)

Both guys aren't tier one pass rushing FA but tier 2 guys. 

It makes too much sense to not happen 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes we certainly do.

Marrone thinks if Bill O'Brien could do it with Clowney than he can do it with Ngakoue. Marrone is also an idiot.

We have the $$$, but it would be absolutely stupid to give him $22,000,000 per season. He had 1.5 more sacks than Lawson on 320 more defensive snaps. And yes, Marrone is an idiot. :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Don't we? We have over $80 million in available cap space and the cap goes up $10 million per year. If we pay him an average of $20 million per year his salary will be covered by salary cap increases in just 2 years.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes we certainly do.

I disagree with both of you.  You arent going to be able to pay this guy 20 million dollars a year, keep White, Milano, Dawkins and Poyer and then pay Allen and Edmunds.

If they sign him for that amount it sure as hell better be for two to three years.   Keep the pipe dream alive if you want, but don't whine when they dont trade and sign the guy,

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I disagree with both of you.  You arent going to be able to pay this guy 20 million dollars a year, keep White, Milano, Dawkins and Poyer and then pay Allen and Edmunds.

If they sign him for that amount it sure as hell better be for two to three years.   Keep the pipe dream alive if you want, but don't whine when they dont trade and sign the guy,

White and Dawkins will be kept. I don't think Milano is a certainty and I would bet one of Poyer/Hyde is gone within a year or two. If the Bills want Ngakoue, there's no reason they can't figure out how to pay the price for it. Question is how badly Beane wants an elite-ish edge guy.

42 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills don't have the long term money to pay the guy as a free agent.  Now we want to give away money they wont have plus a draft pick?     He is a good player but he isnt a game wrecker.   No reason to mortgage the future for one player.

Um, yes they do!!

With that being said I don’t think it’s a good decision at this point. The money and draft compensation isn’t worth it IMO. I’d rather throw money at Clowney. He’s a better player and fit.

• Like (+1) 8

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Um, yes they do!!

With that being said I don’t think it’s a good decision at this point. The money and draft compensation isn’t worth it IMO. I’d rather throw money at Clowney. He’s a better player and fit.

I'd rather Clowney as well but I think Seattle will either keep him or do the same exact thing.

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

White and Dawkins will be kept. I don't think Milano is a certainty and I would bet one of Poyer/Hyde is gone within a year or two. If the Bills want Ngakoue, there's no reason they can't figure out how to pay the price for it. Question is how badly Beane wants an elite-ish edge guy.

Milano plays 100 percent of the snaps on D when they are on the field he will certainly be retained unless he asks for a ton of $$. But the question is for how much. Would he take less home town discount or not.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

At this point there is no reason to be saving money to extend someone like Milano or Poyer. None of which play a premier position and are replaceable. 

I see them drafting a potential Poyer replacement this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And? 

Hes an OLB and hasn't looked great or even good at the position since his injury in 2018.... IMO they'll use a draft pick or cheaper option to replace Milano when the time comes rather than pay him. 

I don't think I could disagree with a position or opinion more. The entire Defense is a different animal when Milano plays and Beane has been vocal about growing and paying the players they Draft. However, time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And? 

Hes an OLB and hasn't looked great or even good at the position since his injury in 2018.... IMO they'll use a draft pick or cheaper option to replace Milano when the time comes rather than pay him. 

This I do not agree with. Milano has been very good, arguably great, when healthy. But if I'm hypothetically picking between paying Milano $13 million per year or paying Ngakoue $20 million per year, I think it's a toss-up and might lean towards Ngakoue.

As for Poyer & Hyde, they've both proven to be among the best safeties in the league. I don't think we will want to pay both of them; it's just too much to invest in the position.

I think LB and safety are both in play at #22 for us but we shall see in April.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't think I could disagree with a position or opinion more. The entire Defense is a different animal when Milano plays and Beane has been vocal about growing and paying the players they Draft. However, time will tell. 

This.. 

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Players should demand in the new CBA that teams aren’t allowed to get away with this anymore...it’s not what the franchise tag was intended for...either franchise and keep the player or let him go and try to get a comp pick down the road...

I agree. The tag should be gone. If they really want to keep the tag it should be for multiple years, fully guaranteed and at a highly inflated salary. Something like 125-150% the top 3 for the position for 3 years, fully guaranteed. This would make it an absolutely nuclear option that teams would rarely, if ever, use. It may result in the player playing somewhere he doesn’t want to be, but he’s also supremely compensated with a 100% full guaranteed multi year deal. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

They’ll get at least what Seattle and KC got for Clark and Ford.  I don’t have a problem with the tag.  I think it works well.  

Not sure...Ngakoue isn’t quite the pass rusher that Clark is. Maybe he’ll fetch a 1st, but this pass rusher market is solid.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

This I do not agree with. Milano has been very good, arguably great, when healthy. But if I'm hypothetically picking between paying Milano $13 million per year or paying Ngakoue $20 million per year, I think it's a toss-up and might lean towards Ngakoue.

As for Poyer & Hyde, they've both proven to be among the best safeties in the league. I don't think we will want to pay both of them; it's just too much to invest in the position.

I think LB and safety are both in play at #22 for us but we shall see in April.

I love Poyer, but he’s not in Hyde’s class in coverage. Poyer allowed a total passer rating of 117.8 in coverage in 2019–by far the worst on the team. Hyde’s was 78.4.

• Like (+1) 1