Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

If you go Diggs then do you still draft WR in 1st? If so, got to be one of the bigger guys. Do you go:

Diggs for 2nd

Draft Edge Epenesa or Chaisson in 1st

Draft WR Gandy-Golden or Pittman in the 3rd/4th

Draft OL, CB, RB, LB and another WR

Sign Yannick, Armstead, Barrett or pass rush help

SIgn Hooper or Henry at TE

Sign Thuney, Costanzo or Conklin

Sign inexpensive RB

Sign weakside LB and CB help

Tre White extension

Cut Murphy and Kroft

Allen

Singletary and RB2 (vet or rookie)

Hooper/Henry and Knox

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Gandy-Golden/Pittman

Dawkins, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Thuney/Costanzo/Conklin

Yannick and Hughes

Oliver, Star and H Phil

Edmunds, Milano, WLB

White, Johnson Wallace, FA or Rookie CB

Hyde, Poyer

Bills go 12-4 and win AFC East.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Bandit, I see you’re point, but isn’t there merit in not offering too much in a deep WR draft.  That’s the leverage not to do it, and offering two even what someone else said a 4th next year is cheap labor for a team skinny in cap space.

I suppose if you’re confident that you can get an immediate contributor in round 1, then yes, I would consider that leverage.

Personally, no matter how confident I am in my abilities to evaluate prospects, I’m always going for the known quantity when I’m a team looking to compete for a title.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If you go Diggs then do you still draft WR in 1st? If so, got to be one of the bigger guys. Do you go:

Diggs for 2nd

Draft Edge Epenesa or Chaisson in 1st

Draft WR Gandy-Golden or Pittman in the 3rd/4th

Draft OL, CB, RB, LB and another WR

Sign Yannick, Armstead, Barrett or pass rush help

SIgn Hooper or Henry at TE

Sign Thuney, Costanzo or Conklin

Sign inexpensive RB

Sign weakside LB and CB help

Tre White extension

Cut Murphy and Kroft

Allen

Singletary and RB2 (vet or rookie)

Hooper/Henry and Knox

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Gandy-Golden/Pittman

Dawkins, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Thuney/Costanzo/Conklin

Yannick and Hughes

Oliver, Star and H Phil

Edmunds, Milano, WLB

White, Johnson Wallace, FA or Rookie CB

Hyde, Poyer

Bills go 12-4 and win AFC East.

I’m all for going all in, but this is just so unrealistic imo.  Signing the best DE, TE and RT would be amazing, but wishful thinking that we get the best of the best FA’s at 3 positions 

If we traded for Diggs, I’d make Clowney my next target if he becomes available. 

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Really good point on the contract!!

Diggs is such a good fit here in that he slides everyone into their natural roles. The receiver room is maybe even a strength (especially after adding a guy in the draft).

How about:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Bryan Edwards

Duke

Mckenzie

Roberts

Bryan Edwards is the "body type" WR that would be desirable but I'm not sure what round he goes in or what other big guys are out there.

I'm not a huge college football fan and I leave that up to Beane (and you guys).

Being the draft is deep another WR picked is a must.

Diggs, Brown and Beasley as starters with a big bodied rookie in the wings sounds really good to me!

McKenzie (RFA) is an after thought to me once Diggs would be on the team.  Diggs in the run game is pretty good too.

Roberts is 32 and in the last year of his contract so they could start looking for a punt returner soon to replace him.

Duke will have to fight to make the team once the top 4 are locked. 

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I assume if we trade for Diggs we would have to immeditately re-do his contract and get him some new guaranteed money. Exactly like we did with Shady.

Frankly, this is all VERY similar to the Shady trade, and I'd say the Shady trade worked out pretty well for us. Alonso was a 2nd round pick so similar compensation. The need to re-do Diggs' contract. The type of personality which can be flashy and seen as selfish, but isnt really. The main difference I see is that Diggs is still in his prime where Shady was on the backside of it.

Diggs last year was on the first year of his contract extension.  He got his guaranteed money and is not a UFA until the 2024 season.

Having to redo his contract is an option but I see no need to "have to do it" immediately.

The beauty of this is Diggs is playing on the contract he just signed with 0 dead money to the Bills.

Unless OBD has a real reason not to look at Diggs I see no reason not to get in the mix of the talks.

Cap strapped teams are the ones Beane has to look at for these kind of deals.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Diggs last year was on the first year of his contract extension.  He got his guaranteed money and is not a UFA until the 2024 season.

Having to redo his contract is an option but I see no need to "have to do it" immediately.

The beauty of this is Diggs is playing on the contract he just signed with 0 dead money to the Bills.

Unless OBD has a real reason not to look at Diggs I see no reason not to get in the mix of the talks.

Cap strapped teams are the ones Beane has to look at for these kind of deals.

Good points, and I'm not saying we have to give him a ton more money, but maybe simply shift some of what is already there as Base to Guaranteed so he feels better about playing over the next 4 years.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Wrong.

There are many.

That is why this class of WR’s is considered one  the deepest classes in history.

Are there?   Have you seen any of them play an NFL game or multiple seasons in the NFL?  You are talking projections.  Diggs is not a projection.  He's proven at the NFL level and he's young.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good points, and I'm not saying we have to give him a ton more money, but maybe simply shift some of what is already there as Base to Guaranteed so he feels better about playing over the next 4 years.

OK, I see your point and that could be an option.  

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Trade our 2nd to Minn for Diggs.

Trade our 5th to TB for Howard or Brate

Draft DE round 1
Draft big WR like Pittman round 3

Draft RB round 4

Sign depth in FA 

Division title - Strong SB contender.

I like this for the most part. I still think we need a tackle upgrade. And I really want Hooper. I'm greedy, I know.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Definitely a 1st. WR1 acquired and under contract for decent money.

Move onto FA.

I agree, I don't think a 2nd would get it done.  Especially since there are 21 teams who have better 2nd round picks than us.  Use our 1st on him and can still take a young receiver in the 3rd or 4th

17 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Are there?   Have you seen any of them play an NFL game or multiple seasons in the NFL?  You are talking projections.  Diggs is not a projection.  He's proven at the NFL level and he's young.

Yeah - guys pretty good.  Averages a little under 1000 yards, 6 TDs and like 70 catches.  Has a catch% of around 68% with assorted QBs like Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford.  Can play inside and out.  Athletic enough to fill some of that mckenzie role.  

If they did it, Id like to see them still add a young guy to grow into a role here and compete with foster/duke for that 4/5 spot.  Someone like a Tyler Johnson, Brandon Aiyuk type should they slip into round 3.  

37 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Something about Diggs rubs me the wrong way.

I would rather draft 2/3 WR's and role with them at cost-effective rate than deal with a potential problem.

But like I said, wherever the Bills go in terms of Diggs is fine with me.

• Like (+1) 1