Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

just not feeling any of this.
 he 35 and a TE. dude has been hit by trains

the Old timey ones with cow catchers

i am listening. Put some one like him in the room with Knox and Allen ?
that's a good future state.

I should be clear: After watching the Panthers on Amazon's All or Nothing and seeing what Olsen went through with injuries and where he seems to be in his career, I really want nothing to do with him.

However, I'd rather have Olsen as our #3 TE than Lee Smith, if and only if, we can get him for a good price as well (about the same as we're paying Smith).

I see it more as improving the bottom of our TE corp and bringing in another smart, experience player for Knox and Josh to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FluffHead said:

Replace a young guy with a bad foot with an old guy with a bad foot 

There is that possibility, although Olsen did way more last year after healing up than Kroft did, even normalized for number of games.

So another way to look at it would be "replace a guy who managed 6.5 ypg and was given the opportunity to be the #3 or 4 receiving option but couldn't seize it, with a guy who managed 43 YPG as the #4 receiving option."

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I should be clear: After watching the Panthers on Amazon's All or Nothing and seeing what Olsen went through with injuries and where he seems to be in his career, I really want nothing to do with him.

However, I'd rather have Olsen as our #3 TE than Lee Smith, if and only if, we can get him for a good price as well (about the same as we're paying Smith).

I see it more as improving the bottom of our TE corp and bringing in another smart, experience player for Knox and Josh to work with.

So question: I've read in a couple of places that Olsen is NOT regarded as a good blocker.  What do you know about his blocking chops?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This would be a big waste of money if we bring him in for anything more than $3M/year.

edit: HOLY CRAP I just looked up Lee Smith's contract. Beane gave him 3yr/$9M with $4.4M in guarantees?!?! Thank the gods we can cut him this year with only $1M in dead money.

Cut Smith, give the money to Olsen. But dont expect much from Olsen either.

People keep saying cut Smith.  He's not the same TE as any of the other TE's.  He's there to block.  He's probably not going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

If Beane signs another oft-injured, overaged retread, my opinion of him will change.  Jesus Harold Christ, enough is enough.  Do better.

I would like to see Beane do better.  But if the idea is to replace Smith and Kroft with a veteran who actually made reasonable offensive contributions last year, it could be a net gain.  What I don't know is how well Olsen actually blocks - could he replace Smith?

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So question: I've read in a couple of places that Olsen is NOT regarded as a good blocker.  What do you know about his blocking chops?

Not much, and what you read is probably right. But as long as he doesnt jump Offside, or line up in an illegal formation, or take other penalties that vets shouldnt be taking, then we are already ahead.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Not much, and what you read is probably right. But as long as he doesnt jump Offside, or line up in an illegal formation, or take other penalties that vets shouldnt be taking, then we are already ahead.

That's one side of the task.  The other is if we ask him to block a DE or an LB and he whiffs.

Just now, purple haze said:

People keep saying cut Smith.  He's not the same TE as any of the other TE's.  He's there to block.  He's probably not going anywhere.

I understand that and still want him cut. His blocking skills do not outweigh his stupid penalty skills and lack-of-any-other-talent skills.

For a guy who made the roster for his blocking, I wasnt all that impressed with it.

• Haha (+1) 1

If Beane signs another oft-injured, overaged retread, my opinion of him will change.  Jesus Harold Christ, enough is enough.  Do better.

It’s way more production from vet depth. One that hAppens to have outplayed the young guy he’ll be mentoring. I don’t see any real issue with this move. He had 600 yds in just 14 games with bad qb play and can you think of a better mentor for Knox? 

It doesn’t stop the team from doing anything else they wanna do. Where’s the downside here? 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would like to see Beane do better.  But if the idea is to replace Smith and Kroft with a veteran who actually made reasonable offensive contributions last year, it could be a net gain.  What I don't know is how well Olsen actually blocks - could he replace Smith?

I'd rather keep Smith, play Sweeney more and demand more of Knox.

Replacing Kroft with Olsen is like replacing a Gremlin with a Yugo.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is exactly it. I’ll take a vet that actually produces. 

where’s the downside to a move like this? I would assume It doesn’t change any of their plans for the offseason 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'd rather keep Smith, play Sweeney more and demand more of Knox.

Replacing Kroft with Olsen is like replacing a Gremlin with a Yugo.

Smith, Kroft, and Olsen are all pretty much garbage.

1 minute ago, Passepartout said:

Olsen needs to retire and go into the broadcasting booth. Just saying!

This is exactly how I felt until I read this news he's visiting. I still feel that way tho.

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This is exactly it. I’ll take a vet that actually produces. 

where’s the downside to a move like this? I would assume It doesn’t change any of their plans for the offseason 

We need better.  We need Kittle.  We need Kelce.  We need Gronk.  

Not a ***** relic in Olsen.  We need to demand better.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is exactly how I felt until I read this news he's visiting. I still feel that way tho.

600 yds in 14 games with Kyle Allen, and will Grier is hardly garbage. 

Right. So if they make this move i think it says they see big things coming from Knox. 

you are acting like Olsen would be signed as the answer at TE. I think we both know they wouldn’t go into it thinking that’s the case. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Smith is the least of the garbage and if people are hellbent on having a veteran (I am not), then keep the better of Smith and Kroft instead of bringing in another player a year away (and too late) from retiring.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Marvelous.  Gronk is retired and KC/SF aren't planning to make a deal for Kelce or Kittle.  So where is the source of this "Better" to be found?

I don't think we're going to be investing a draft pick in the first 4 rounds.

I would love Hooper, but he expressed that he would have to investigate the QB situation before he'd consider Buffalo and I took Beane's remarks as pretty much saying we weren't going to be going after the top FA.  Maybe I'm wrong?

Just now, Gugny said:

Smith is the least of the garbage and if people are hellbent on having a veteran (I am not), then keep the better of Smith and Kroft instead of bringing in another player a year away (and too late) from retiring.

Smith? You’ve got to be kidding me. better than Olsen? Good lord dude. 

Marvelous.  Gronk is retired and KC/SF aren't planning to make a deal for Kelce or Kittle.  So where is the source of this "Better" to be found?

I meant players of that caliber in their primes.

There is a kid out of FAU, Harrison Bryant, he won the mackey award. He was impressive vs Ohio state, looks like the total package at TE. Also played with Singletary. Could be a nice option in the draft to pair with Knox.i think he’s gone in the first 2 rounds but he’s very good. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

There is a kid out of FAU, Harrison Bryant, he won the mackey award. He was impressive vs Ohio state, looks like the total package at TE. Also played with Singletary. Could be a nice option in the draft to pair with Knox.i think he’s gone in the first 2 rounds but he’s very good. 

I saw him and the big kid from Dayton both did themselves a ton of good at senior bowl week 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Smith? You’ve got to be kidding me. better than Olsen? Good lord dude. 

Better than continuing to put Kroft on the field (which McD and Daboll kept doing).

Question still remains. 

I'm not saying that I know where TO get that kind of talent.  I'm just saying that signing a player who has one foot and four toes on the sandy beaches of his retirement home is NOT that place to get it.

I really think the Bills believe they have something in Knox, and I don’t necessarily think they’re wrong. I don’t see them buying a 10 or 11 million dollar a year tight end if we’re talking Henry or Hooper but idk.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn’t watch the Panthers this year as they sucked and the Bills are in their ascendancy.
    GO was a very cabable blocker before the foot injury( s) and I’m not sure what his role was in Turners Offense but he blocked well in Shula’s scheme.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Codyny13 said:

I really think the Bills believe they have something in Knox, and I don’t necessarily think they’re wrong. I don’t see them buying a 10 or 11 million dollar a year tight end if we’re talking Henry or Hooper but idk.

Probably exactly why they are going after Olsen. They know they need more at the position, but have two young guys in Knox and Sweeney, and want a vet in every position room. I think they hang onto lee smith at his price rag and for what role he plays as a blocker, and swap out Kroft for Olsen if they can. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Probably exactly why they are going after Olsen. They know they need more at the position, but have two young guys in Knox and Sweeney, and want a vet in every position room. I think they hang onto lee smith at his price rag and for what role he plays as a blocker, and swap out Kroft for Olsen if they can. 

Unless Knox suddenly learns how to be sure handed GO is immediately the best TE on this team and our second leading receiver next year. 

5 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

I love Knox.  I hate that he drops too many passes, but I haven't given up on him.  I just don't see the need to bring in a veteran - especially one who is in the last year or two of his career - to mentor him.  

That clearly didn't work last year. 

I also like Sweeney.  He should have been getting the playing time that the worthless piece of ***** Kroft got.

If McD and Beane still believe in Knox, then just keep him and Sweeney.  And don't forget about Jason Pegula.  He'll be back.

• Haha (+1) 4

I'm not big on signing Olsen for a lot of the reasons already stated. BUT, if signing Olsen means we cut Kroft & Smith & he takes over the mentoring/veteran role, & is good for at least 500 yards & 5 tds, & he signs for less than $5 Mil? Then i can be a buyer of that.

But if we throw out a 3 year 18 Mil deal at Olsen then oh hell no!

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I love Knox.  I hate that he drops too many passes, but I haven't given up on him.  I just don't see the need to bring in a veteran - especially one who is in the last year or two of his career - to mentor him.  

That clearly didn't work last year. 

I also like Sweeney.  He should have been getting the playing time that the worthless piece of ***** Kroft got.

If McD and Beane still believe in Knox, then just keep him and Sweeney.  And don't forget about Jason Pegula.  He'll be back.

I actually did 

Just now, brianthomas said:

I'm not big on signing Olsen for a lot of the reasons already stated. BUT, if signing Olsen means we cut Kroft & Smith & he takes over the mentoring/veteran role, & is good for at least 500 yards & 5 tds, & he signs for less than $5 Mil? Then i can be a buyer of that.

But if we throw out a 3 year 18 Mil deal at Olsen then oh hell no!

I don’t think Beane is that stupid and Olsen is looking for a ring at this point. He’s set financially and has a budding commentator career waiting for him when he retires.

This is a no brainer for him.

This mentor things is way oversold. They aren't Jedi. It's the NFL, not Karate Kid. Bruce Smith didn't have a mentor on the roster, neither did Kelly. Who was Thurman's "mentor", Rob Riddick? We need playmakers, not hand holding "mentors".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Codyny13 said:

Agreed. I think people are hyperfocused on Knox's drops, and disregarding the big picture.

The guy is really explosive after the catch. He's got the ABILITY to be a Kittle like TE if he can fix the dropsies. Gotta remember, he didn't have a ton of experience as a receiver coming in. 

I actually think he's got more "promise" than Singletary. 

Olsen would not be an exciting signing, but he's better than Kroft or Smith. If you have a chance to upgrade a position, you may as well do it.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1