The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There are several companies with vaccines that have passed Phase 3.  I would have to read up more, but at least some of them are mRNA based and not attenuated virus, which should enable more rapid production.  Storage for the Pfizer one will be a challenge since it requires very low temperature, but others not.

It will be a real logistical effort to be sure but having enough for the US population by June 1 seems plausible.  The best minds in the world are attacking it.

Thanks OldMan. A well reasoned, non-political response.  I was simply pointing out just how many tests have been done, through all of the various surges, and all of the lines at testing sites, and just how long it has taken to do them. It's taken months and months, and we still only have four states that have administered enough tests to equate to their entire population. Again.... 330 million of anything is an awful lot of anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks OldMan. A well reasoned, non-political response.  I was simply pointing out just how many tests have been done, through all of the various surges, and all of the lines at testing sites, and just how long it has taken to do them. It's taken months and months, and we still only have four states that have administered enough tests to equate to their entire population. Again.... 330 million of anything is an awful lot of anything. 

You also get people that don't believe in it and will never get tested.

17 minutes ago, TBBills said:

You also get people that don't believe in it and will never get tested.

TB....I'm afraid that you're completely missing the point of this purely academic discussion....but thanks for trying, and especially for not including any name-calling, etc.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

TB....I'm afraid that you're completely missing the point of this purely academic discussion....but thanks for trying, and especially for not including any name-calling, etc.

No, I understand you are worried at how are they going to administer vaccines to that many people... That isn't an issue it will happen over the course of the next year 

Just now, TBBills said:

No, I understand you are worried at how are they going to administer vaccines to that many people... That isn't an issue it will happen over the course of the next year 

I'm not 'worried'. I'm just making a purely statistical observation using the recorded figures from testing.  It just so happened that I noticed today that only those four states just within the week achieved or surpassed that level of testing. The World-O-Meter site lists the interesting column of Tests Per Million for each state. Only four have reached the 1 million per million mark. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I'm not 'worried'. I'm just making a purely statistical observation using the recorded figures from testing.  It just so happened that I noticed today that only those four states just within the week achieved or surpassed that level of testing. The World-O-Meter site lists the interesting column of Tests Per Million for each state. Only four have reached the 1 million per million mark. 

So basically you only wanted to put in some statistics that have no bearing on the vaccine distribution? Ok continue on...

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

So basically you only wanted to put in some statistics that have no bearing on the vaccine distribution? Ok continue on...

Actually it would be very similar, with certain sectors going first, then others, and then others, while the first sector is also making appointments for a second booster injection that most likely has to occur on a specific time regiment to effective.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:19 PM, Big Blitz said:

No.  They would not have over an airborne virus that may or may not have been a biological attack on the planet by a country that sees the world growing more hostile to its policies.  

Let's ignore that.  Everyone else is.

Was the Spanish flu's death toll Woodrow Wilson's fault?  The media back then would have never been so political and stupid as to even ask such a question.  Thats only possible when you live among people that are begging to be ruled not governed.  But that generation was built different than the one currently that thinks there are 65 genders and it can lower the temperature of the Earth---as if that's a good thing.  

you do realize Trump was the one who turned the virus into a political statement , not the media, right ? 

you do also realize thousands of officials from all over the world have stated how terrible the US federal government has responded to the pandemic , right? 

There’s no conspiracy here. There wasn’t in April and it’s the same now. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/3/2020 at 3:25 PM, Magox said:

I think we will begin trending down slightly beginning sometime in mid to late August.  Not sure it will be a precipitous drop since other regions are starting to bubble up but the main population zones as you mentioned will have burnt out and will start trending lower.  

I do think we will hit new lows in deaths by time late September comes around.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:08 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Dude, you could ditch the victim complex.

You were not clear with your OP in regards to why you dumped your factoid regarding testing.

Then over the course of several responses you both lectured folks for assuming the point you failed to make while gradually honing in on what it actually was.

You weren't clear and folks filled in the blanks. That is all, no lecturing or moralizing required.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

My wife works for the local health system, directly with super sick patients in their homes in home care. Today they had a meeting where they were told they expect vaccines within the next 10 days and will be distributing them based on job (covid-exposed workers first) by lottery. My wife is in the first group it seems and will be getting the vaccine as soon as she's able. 

I saw this as a really good bit of non-political news. It's coming and it's coming soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

you do realize Trump was the one who turned the virus into a political statement , not the media, right ? 

you do also realize thousands of officials from all over the world have stated how terrible the US federal government has responded to the pandemic , right? 

He/she/it realizes all that but he/she/it refuses to admit that his lord and master f'd up on his response to the pandemic and lost the election because of it.

4 hours ago, shoshin said:

My wife works for the local health system, directly with super sick patients in their homes in home care. Today they had a meeting where they were told they expect vaccines within the next 10 days and will be distributing them based on job (covid-exposed workers first) by lottery. My wife is in the first group it seems and will be getting the vaccine as soon as she's able. 

I saw this as a really good bit of non-political news. It's coming and it's coming soon. 

I'd appreciate it if you post which one she gets and how the side effects are.  TIA.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Trump's messaging was horrible but we're pretty close in deaths per capita compared to other major European countries (UK, Spain, France, Italy).  It's a little unfair to pin it all on him and I'm glad he lost.

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

I'd appreciate it if you post which one she gets and how the side effects are.  TIA.

100%. I assume she'll be the first person I know to get a vaccine (though my brother and his wife are nurses who work on Covid floors in Buffalo so they will be up there too). 

We should all share the early experiences, just to spread the good news. The Calvary is coming. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

You do realize that many believe it wasn't, and still isn't, the President who turned this into a political statement, right?

Let's see if those same "thousands of officials from all over the world" also then reject the use of an American made vaccine. 

America is now heading into the flu season as Covid cases sky rocket since the election and soon to see Thanksgiving spike. Many people are going to die this winter b.c of overloaded hospitals and lack of health care workers.

But hey we have this president trying to commit voter fraud and steal the election instead of worrying about the American people... He will go down as the worst president to ever hold office all while spewing lies and creating a Cult of violent people.

Oh well I guess we should all go play golf 

Edited by TBBills

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

100%. I assume she'll be the first person I know to get a vaccine (though my brother and his wife are nurses who work on Covid floors in Buffalo so they will be up there too). 

We should all share the early experiences, just to spread the good news. The Calvary is coming. 

Cool, going to start a thread for it.

Nolte: Mayor Blames Corona Spike on Everything but the Virus

At what point do we blame the virus for acting like a virus?

And could it possibly be the cooler weather? I realize we’re talking about El Paso here, but it does get colder in El Paso this time of year, especially at night, and viruses thrive in colder weather, so could it possibly be that?

And this is my favorite part of the mayor’s thinking … we “found that 55% of the positives were coming from shopping at large retailers.”

Uhm, isn’t pretty much everyone shopping at big box stores? How do you know people caught it there? Maybe the coronavirus is in our socks. After all, 99.7 percent of the people who test positive for the coronavirus wear socks. That has to be it! Burn your socks and all will be well!

You want to know what this is all starting to sound like to me? Superstition.

A virus is a virus is a virus.

We can go to Walmart. We can’t go to church.

The pot dispensaries, abortion clinics, and liquor stores are open for business. The schools are not.

This isn’t science.

This is a pagan religion.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/12/04/nolte-mayor-blames-corona-spike-everything-virus/

Spot on as usual Nolte.  Spot on.  

On 12/3/2020 at 8:10 PM, Penfield45 said:

I'm sorry wtf are you talking about?

The fact that a bunch of lunatics still blame ANY politician for whatever covid and its origins are more than they are THE WHO AND CHINA for LYING about everything is the most disgusting politicization of any event or issue in all of human history.  

There is now proof it was here IN DECEMBER 2019.  We know this.  Which means it was in China in November or earlier (you google World Military Games Wuhan yet?)  

Stop blaming Americans. 

Stop blaming Trump.  

Stop being good little commies and do everything they command you to do.  

Start demanding answers from EVERYONE....start demanding the media start questioning everything.......

Oh wait.....the people that are have been f....ing censored and suppressed and banned from YouTube and "Fact Checked" with "no no no no no this virus is going to kill you all we give this claim 4 Pinocchios.  These people just care about the economy!!" 

Amazing!  They keep telling us "but you don't know this virus it's NEW."  And then proceed to tell us that what we absolutely must do because wait, the people that lied to you over a year ago as it spread around the world, they definitely should be trusted and listened to. 

Peak sheep.  Peak stupid.  

Edited by Big Blitz

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm sorry wtf are you talking about?

The fact that a bunch of lunatics still blame ANY politician for whatever covid and its origins are more than they are THE WHO AND CHINA for LYING about everything is the most disgusting politicization of any event or issue in all of human history.  

There is now proof it was here IN DECEMBER 2019.  We know this.  Which means it was in China in November or earlier (you google World Military Games Wuhan yet?)  

Stop blaming Americans. 

Stop blaming Trump.  

Stop being good little commies and do everything they command you to do.  

Start demanding answers from EVERYONE....start demanding the media start questioning everything.......

Oh wait.....the people that are have been f....ing censored and suppressed and banned from YouTube and "Fact Checked" with "no no no no no this virus is going to kill you all we give this claim 4 Pinocchios.  These people just care about the economy!!" 

Amazing!  They keep telling us "but you don't know this virus it's NEW."  And then proceed to tell us that what we absolutely must do because wait, the people that lied to you over a year ago as it spread around the world, they definitely should be trusted and listened to. 

Peak sheep.  Peak stupid.  

Trump didn’t create the virus.  He created the horrible response to it that has led to over 250k deaths in our country.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Trump didn’t create the virus.  He created the horrible response to it that has led to over 250k deaths in our country.

Oh?  

What would have saved 250k deaths?

And the 416K across Europe?

Screenshot_20201205-122544_Chrome.jpg

Almost perfect.  Amazing job by the administration.

Saved 2 million people.

Got a vaccine in record time.  

20201205_122831.jpg

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Oh?  

What would have saved 250k deaths?

And the 416K across Europe?

Screenshot_20201205-122544_Chrome.jpg

Almost perfect.  Amazing job by the administration.

Saved 2 million people.

Got a vaccine in record time.  

20201205_122831.jpg

I’ve explained what he should have done before.  You are too stubborn to accept that leaders are elected to lead, and you are too ignorant to accept that he lost the election.  Get over yourself and join the real world.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I’ve explained what he should have done before.  You are too stubborn to accept that leaders are elected to lead, and you are too ignorant to accept that he lost the election.  Get over yourself and join the real world.

I don't know nor care what you may have said before so it must not have been significant.  I asked today.   

Leaders lead.  Yes.  No kidding.  

Viruses also virus.  

I want to know how Trump could have prevented 250K dead.  

50 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I don't know nor care what you may have said before so it must not have been significant.  I asked today.   

Viruses also virus.  

Probably actually caring about the virus in the month of Jan-till he got it. Instead of golfing and saying "It will just go away on it's own, we have this fully under control"

"It will go away by summer, this is a democratic media hoax."

He basically told his feeble minded followers that it wasn't real. Some of them still don't believe in the virus b.c of him. If we had a president that took his job seriously and cared for the American people he SERVES this could have been handled better from the start. Instead he went golfing "How Ironic to what he is doing now" and got together a group of people who were mostly in his corrupt pocket to lie for him to the American People.

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I think if he acted a week or so earlier he could've saved a few thousand people based on the studies I've seen.  I'm not downplaying that but saying he's to blame Trump for over 250k deaths is crazy.  This virus was going to burn through the country no matter what.

57 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Viruses also virus.  

He had a head start over the rest of the world. He claimed he shutdown air travel to china but that had large loopholes. He could have came right out and said we have a national emergency and we may have to make sacrifices but no, he pretended it didn't exist so it wouldn't ***** up his reelection. To this day he and many of his followers think this is nothing more than the flu and a way for the democrats to win the WH. What happened to the common theme that it would just go away after the election? People need to wake the *****

up.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

2 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

He had a head start over the rest of the world. He claimed he shutdown air travel to china but that had large loopholes. He could have came right out and said we have a national emergency and we may have to make sacrifices but no, he pretended it didn't exist so it wouldn't ***** up his IMPEACHMENT 

Lol Trump had a head start over the rest of the world haha

Wow the stupidity.  I guess the EU and the rest of the world didn't know anything 

But hey....that is what the WHO told us as late as January 15 so.....Trump was just listening to the people behind the Paris Accords, global redistribution of wealth, and "resetting everything."

Totally right idea to listen to them.  

"No human to human transmission."

--The WHO January 15, 2020

Edited by Big Blitz

58 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Lol Trump had a head start over the rest of the world haha

Wow the stupidity.  I guess the EU and the rest of the world didn't know anything 

But hey....that is what the WHO told us as late as January 15 so.....Trump was just listening to the people behind the Paris Accords, global redistribution of wealth, and "resetting everything."

Totally right idea to listen to them.  

"No human to human transmission."

--The WHO January 15, 2020

Agree.

People should be mad at the WHO they totality dropped the ball in this.  WHO basically kiss china ass the whole time. While the world suffering from the virus. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Viruses also virus.  

Ok, here we go again:

1.  Don’t lie.  He lied to the American people about the seriousness of the virus.  We heard that on the Woodward tapes.

2.  Immediately suspend ALL incoming travel from China

3.  Immediately hold a summit with all governors, regardless of blue or red, and find out what they needed, then immediatelyenact his powers to mandate private sector to start making necessary supplies.  Immediately, not a couple moths later.

4.  Take air time as soon as we knew the virus was out there, and do a national address recognizing the seriousness, and stressing preventive measures.  And as important new measures were found by research, do another such as when masking was found to be important.  Don’t talk about such completely idiotic things as it’s only one patients, or that things would magically just end when you know it won’t.  Have the guts early on to tell the public why they have to quarantine.

5.  Actually listen to your scientific advisors. Have them communicate daily with the public and back them up instead of arguing.

6.  When someone asks you what responsibility you have, you tell them as President you have the ultimate responsibility for what is being done.  Instead of cowardly saying you have no responsibility.

7.  When it became clear there was going to be an economic crisis, call the leaders of both parties to the White House, lick them in a room and not let them out till a deal is gone.

8.  When things like hand washing, distancing and especially masks at mitigating factors became apparent as ways to decrease spread, be a public advocate for each.  Wear a mask at all times, demand the people do likewise.  Set the example.

This is a start.  These are what leaders do, not the fraud that’s posed as a leader.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I think if he acted a week or so earlier he could've saved a few thousand people based on the studies I've seen.  I'm not downplaying that but saying he's to blame Trump for over 250k deaths is crazy.  This virus was going to burn through the country no matter what.

That is crap.  Insisting that people followed the mitigating strategies, especially masking, would have saved many.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Viruses also virus.  

😂😂😂😂 Moron! Pay attention or do your own homework Sue!!! 

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Ok, here we go again:

1.  Don’t lie.  He lied to the American people about the seriousness of the virus.  We heard that on the Woodward tapes.

Then so did the WHO and every leader on the planet.  If you think he was the only leader that had that info you're kidding yourself.  And we don't know what the full context of what that supposed quote was.  And telling the public initially we have an airborne virus worthy of shutting down the planet would have done much worse damage then you having a hard time finding toilet paper.  Only partisan pieces of trash continue to heap blame on Trump over this.  

2.  Immediately suspend ALL incoming travel from China

Was already here in December.  And January.  And if it was the airborne disaster you believed it was in January then why even bother with just China travel?  Its global and they knew it right?  So how exactly does this do anything?  Especially since China and WHO were telling us "we got this nothing to see here."

3.  Immediately hold a summit with all governors, regardless of blue or red, and find out what they needed, then immediatelyenact his powers to mandate private sector to start making necessary supplies.  Immediately, not a couple moths later.

Lol.  Thats exactly what they did and they all from Newsome to Cuomo praised his leadership.

4.  Take air time as soon as we knew the virus was out there, and do a national address recognizing the seriousness, and stressing preventive measures.  And as important new measures were found by research, do another such as when masking was found to be important.  Don’t talk about such completely idiotic things as it’s only one patients, or that things would magically just end when you know it won’t.  Have the guts early on to tell the public why they have to quarantine.

He did.  On March 11th at 9pm.  I felt the exact same way I did when I saw the 2nd plane hit the tower on 9/11 when he was done speaking.  Not because I thought the world was ending.  But that the number of possibilities that were on the table from this is a political coup, to this was a deliberate bio attack from China were all on the table, to yes this could be a serious virus.  Then I saw the data.  By March 25th I was no longer concerned about the virus just the hacks that were about to politicize it.  And we were right.  "Look at all these cases!!"  Trump's fault.  

5.  Actually listen to your scientific advisors. Have them communicate daily with the public and back them up instead of arguing.

He did, they have repeatedly said he did, and they did hold daily pressers.  Those stopped when they realized this wasn't a global killer or the Democrats said "thanks Tony, we'll take it from here."

6.  When someone asks you what responsibility you have, you tell them as President you have the ultimate responsibility for what is being done.  Instead of cowardly saying you have no responsibility.

Not over an airborne virus whos origins he probably knows the actual truth about but will never be able to say.  And bc its a f...ing virus.

Blame the WHO......have they admitted it was THEIR FAULT yet???

7.  When it became clear there was going to be an economic crisis, call the leaders of both parties to the White House, lick them in a room and not let them out till a deal is gone.

Uh we did.  Now no one wants to go back to work until there is a vaccine but oh yeah still pay us anyway.  Unless you have cancer or severe hypertension over 65 you're the worst of humanity and an embarrassment to this generation.  

8.  When things like hand washing, distancing and especially masks at mitigating factors became apparent as ways to decrease spread, be a public advocate for each.  Wear a mask at all times, demand the people do likewise.  Set the example.

The only thing he didn't do was wear a mask.  So what?  Who was allowed anywhere without one?  Who cares that a bunch of people like me know this is b.s. that isn't doing a thing to slow it down.  Our "attitudes" about it mean absolutely nothing.  What matters is you can't go anywhere without it.  I wear them everywhere I go and we all have been for a solid 5 months.  So where have we found outbreaks because people weren't wearing them?  

Nowhere.  

Edited by Big Blitz